• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Meteoric Burst Boros speed revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick_Zero_X

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
At least Relativistic+ (Kicked Saitama to the moon in nearly an instant. His striking speed should be comparable to his kick)

A new section called Throwing Feats was added to the Speed page, and the speed at which a character throws or launches an object doesn't scale to combat speed by default.

For feats of throwing or launching a projectile, the formulas and calculators found on this page can be used, provided the projectile is not launched more than dozens of kilometers high or so far that the curvature of the planet becomes relevant.

A particularly useful formula is v = sqrt( R * g / ( sin(2 * a) ) ), where v is the initial launching / throwing speed, R is the distance the object is thrown, g is the gravitational acceleration (9.81 m/s^2) and a is angle between the ground and the direction the projectile gets launched in. Ensure that the angle is given in the same unit used for the sinus (i.e. either both degrees or both radians). A useful approximation is to use a = 45° as that will result in a low-end estimate for the projectile's speed and hence doesn't require actual measurement of the angle.

Note that throwing speed is typically not applied to combat speed, but only treated as attack speed, as it is usually considered a feat of strength more so than a measure of how fast the character can run or fight.

So in accordance to this rule my proposed revision is:

Unknown (Meteoric Burst releases his latent energy to boost his body’s power and speed beyond its limits, making him faster than before) with Relativistic+ attack speed (Same as right now but without the last sentence)

Unless of course someone comes up with a viable way to still scale Relativistic+ to his general speed, in which case this thread will just be about revising his current speed description.

Ah sweet it's the biweekly boros downgrade.

If this goes through, I propose;

"At least High Hypersonic+, likely higher (Meteoric Burst releases his latent energy to boost his body’s power and speed beyond its limits, making him faster than before) with Relativistic+ attack speed (Same as right now but without the last sentence)"

Upscale him from his released state.

If this goes through, I propose;

"At least High Hypersonic+, likely higher (Meteoric Burst releases his latent energy to boost his body’s power and speed beyond its limits, making him faster than before) with Relativistic+ attack speed (Same as right now but without the last sentence)"

Upscale him from his released state.
His released state is now Supersonic btw

Disagree
I will give my reasons why
"Note that throwing speed is typically not applied to combat speed, but only treated as attack speed, as it is usually considered a feat of strength more so than a measure of how fast the character can run or fight."
The fact that typically is used here means that it's not always the case and I believe in this case it can be used.

The main reason being that you cannot in this case "Kick" an object faster than you yourself move. In this case it's explicitly shown that Boros is using his own power and not some ability to launch Saitama at these speeds. Therefore Boros should scale to the speeds he launched him at. the law of action and reaction would apply in this case.

The only way this would apply is if we just ignore Newton's third law in order to downgrade Boros, (We really can't catch a break) which given the "Semi-Realistic" nature of One-Punch Man, seems very unlikely.

Disagree
I will give my reasons why
"Note that throwing speed is typically not applied to combat speed, but only treated as attack speed, as it is usually considered a feat of strength more so than a measure of how fast the character can run or fight."
The fact that typically is used here means that it's not always the case and I believe in this case it can be used.

The main reason being that you cannot in this case "Kick" an object faster than you yourself move. In this case it's explicitly shown that Boros is using his own power and not some ability to launch Saitama at these speeds. Therefore Boros should scale to the speeds he launched him at. the law of action and reaction would apply in this case.

The only way this would apply is if we just ignore Newton's third law in order to downgrade Boros, (We really can't catch a break) which given the "Semi-Realistic" nature of One-Punch Man, seems very unlikely.
Using your own physical power to launch something doesn’t automatically mean it scales to general combat speed. The page notes it’s typically considered a feat of strength but it also notes that doesn’t mean it scales to a character’s movement speed by default.

You also can indeed kick an object faster than you yourself can run. Professional soccer players kick the ball at an average speed of up to 70 mph, but no one can run that fast.

Tbh mass matters, if you go outside right now and kick a pebble, that pebble is going to be launched way faster than the speed of your kick that launched it in the first place.

A tier 6 ayy lmao kicking a 60-70kg bald man is going to be yeeted at insane speeds just from the force of the blow. And as we know, speed and power don't correlate in fiction and definitely not OPM (otherwise every tier 7 would be rel+ due to fist KE needing to hit that speed for that energy).

Using your own physical power to launch something doesn’t automatically mean it scales to general combat speed. The page notes it’s typically considered a feat of strength but it also notes that doesn’t mean it scales to a character’s movement speed by default.
If you exert that level of force in order to accelerate an object to said speeds then you can exert the same level of force on your body to accelerate it to that speed.
Newton's third law
You also can indeed kick an object faster than you yourself can run. Professional soccer players kick the ball at an average speed of up to 70 mph, but no one can run that fast.
That's how fast a human can RUN not KICK
In fact the average human can kick at 60 mph

Newton's third law once again applies

If you exert that level of force in order to accelerate an object to said speeds then you can exert the same level of force on your body to accelerate it to that speed.
Newton's third law

That's how fast a human can RUN not KICK
In fact the average human can kick at 60 mph

Newton's third law once again applies
Idk I like this argument better, boros' leg probably does weigh less than Saitama tbh.

Tbh mass matters, if you go outside right now and kick a pebble, that pebble is going to be launched way faster than the speed of your kick that launched it in the first place.
No it actually would not
A tier 6 ayy lmao kicking a 60-70kg bald man is going to be yeeted at insane speeds just from the force of the blow. And as we know, speed and power don't correlate in fiction and definitely not OPM (otherwise every tier 7 would be rel+ due to fist KE needing to hit that speed for that energy).
That's because they never show feats on those levels. In this case we know that both Boros and Saitama are capable of generating this levels of energy so it seems no stretch to assume Boros can kick at these speeds

According to our Kinetic energy page
  • Kinetic Energy based on Movement Speed is case by case: Fiction often treats the speed with which a character can move himself as unrelated to their attack power. As such feats like just running or carrying a small object, like another character, should only be used if the fiction has made clear that the speed of the movement correlates to the character's power or if the character uses the fast moving object to attack. Calculating the energy necessary for moving large structures at great speeds, using the speed things move as a secondary effect of an attack, throwing objects at great speeds etc. are all acceptable methods of quantifying a characters power regardless.
I really hope I don't have to explain why this would apply. Therefore Throw speed = Attack speed in this case

According to our Kinetic energy page
  • Kinetic Energy based on Movement Speed is case by case: Fiction often treats the speed with which a character can move himself as unrelated to their attack power. As such feats like just running or carrying a small object, like another character, should only be used if the fiction has made clear that the speed of the movement correlates to the character's power or if the character uses the fast moving object to attack. Calculating the energy necessary for moving large structures at great speeds, using the speed things move as a secondary effect of an attack, throwing objects at great speeds etc. are all acceptable methods of quantifying a characters power regardless.
I really hope I don't have to explain why this would apply. Therefore Throw speed = Attack speed in this case
Why would this applicable for this topic? This excerpt is about when it’s acceptable to quantify a character’s power via KE.

I'd say it's combat speed, not attack speed, simply because combat speed is defined as the speed at which a character can fight, and punches and kicks are the epitomai of fighting (especially given the nature of meteoric burst). Attack speed to me implies a special ability.

Alternatively, you can figure out how fast/hard he needed to hit to raise the ship's metal to its melting point.

I agree with this reduction. This is very confusing. If we kick an object at nearly the speed of light, That does not mean that we are moving at nearly the same speed.

While I do get a downgrade, this is a necro. If you want to remake the thread feel free to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back