• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I'm not even going to try to find all the abilities Merlin "Scales to" (Which is TERRIBLE reasoning btw) so I'm going to have to ask for a tl;dr on all of Merlin's abilities.

Basically all of his scaled abilities would not be used in-character, so you should be able to just ignore it in case of SBA.

Merlin is likely starting by:

• Absorbing Ainz inside his hat.
  • Powernulling Ainz and then killing him with a blast of energy or TK (which pretty much overwhelms Ainz durability)

IMO, Ainz is more likely to use time stop because the only time he's ever been in a one on one match without any restrictions he's used it first thing.

Gargoyle One said:
He also has Low High so GP is useless
He probably wins by striking first
From what I've recalled, Grasp Heart does more than just destroy the target's heart, it apparently induces instant death on them as well. Last I've recalled, when Grasp Heart was used (I think it was used against a dragon in Overlord somewhere) against a target, they were killed instantaneously (as in, they literally just dropped down into the ground the moment Grasp Heart was used, which implies instant death). From what I can tell from Merlin's profile, he has no resistance to instant death.

DeathNoodles said:
From what I've recalled, Grasp Heart does more than just destroy the target's heart, it apparently induces instant death on them as well. Last I've recalled, when Grasp Heart was used (I think it was used against a dragon in Overlord somewhere) against a target, they were killed instantaneously (as in, they literally just dropped down into the ground the moment Grasp Heart was used, which implies instant death). From what I can tell from Merlin's profile, he has no resistance to instant death.
Volume 11

"Umu… dealing with fools is truly tiresome."

A cold voice rang forth.

Why did his father's instincts as one of the living not tell him that Death awaited him? It must have been his Draconic avarice at work here.

"You idiot! You've just thrown away the only chance you had to survive! No, I should kill youÔöÇ"

"[Grasp Heart]."

And with that, his father's body slumped powerlessly to the ground.

All eyes went to the body of the strongest Dragon here.

The way he did not move at all looked like he was sleeping. Of course, that was definitely not the case.

The air in the room turned cold, and the Supreme Being spoke.

From what I've recalled about other users' arguments about Ainz's capabilities, some of his instant death abilities apparently bypasses any regen that are below Low-Godly, so there's that.

Rei Rubro said:
Merlin can time stop without his sword '-'
And Ainz has resistance to time stop and time manipulation. Merlin being able to time stop wouldn't matter here. Edit: And apparently, Merlin has no resistance to time stop or time manipulation, based from his profile.That means Ainz can resist Merlin's time stop, but the same wouldn't apply for vice versa.

Merlin is basically unkillable with immortality and can regenerate from one body part and smaller does this come into effect in this fight

Sago Yoshi said:
Merlin is basically unkillable with immortality and can regenerate from one body part and smaller does this come into effect in this fight
Merlin has Type 1, 2, and 3 Immortality. They don't help him in this fight at all. His Type 8 immortality apparently only applies when he's imprisoned by Excalibur, and 6-C version of Merlin doesn't wield Excalibur, based on what his profile says.

So no, they won't help him against Ainz's instant death abilities here.

DeathNoodles said:
Rei Rubro said:
And Ainz has resistance to time stop and time manipulation. Merlin being able to time stop wouldn't matter here.
Edit: And apparently, Merlin has no resistance to time stop or time manipulation, based from his profile.That means Ainz can resist Merlin's time stop, but the same wouldn't apply for vice versa.
Merlin can see the future passively, this should help him attack first and instantly nullify the powers of Ainz

Rei Rubro said:
DeathNoodles said:
Rei Rubro said:
And Ainz has resistance to time stop and time manipulation. Merlin being able to time stop wouldn't matter here.
Edit: And apparently, Merlin has no resistance to time stop or time manipulation, based from his profile.That means Ainz can resist Merlin's time stop, but the same wouldn't apply for vice versa.
Merlin can see the future passively, this should help him attack first and instantly nullify the powers of Ainz
Power Nullification? That's nothing Ainz's Wish Upon A Star can't fix (via wishing himself resisance to Power Nullification), and it'll be NLF to assume that Merlin can nullify something as powerful as Reality Warping otherwise (which he doesn't even do, based on what his profile says, especially since Merlin's abilities that he gains from scaling gets ignored in this fight), so that gets countered.

Precognition? Ainz isn't dumb, once he realises how Merlin is able to evade or counteract him (which Ainz would narrow it down to Precognition throughout the fight), he'll use Wish Upon A Star to wish himself resistance to Precognition as well.

Edit: There are only a few abilitiies that Merlin has that could take down Ainz, but Ainz also has just as much options, if not more so.

DeathNoodles said:
Rei Rubro said:
DeathNoodles said:
Rei Rubro said:
Power Nullification? That's nothing Ainz's Wish Upon A Star can't fix (via wishing himself resisance to Power Nullification), and it'll be NLF to assume that Merlin can nullify something as powerful as Reality Warping otherwise (which he doesn't even do, based on what his profile says, especially since Merlin's abilities that he gains from scaling gets ignored in this fight), so that gets countered.
Precognition? Ainz isn't dumb, once he realises how Merlin is able to evade or counteract him (which Ainz would narrow it down to Precognition throughout the fight), he'll use Wish Upon A Star to wish himself resistance to Precognition as well.

Edit: There are only a few abilitiies that Merlin has that could take down Ainz, but Ainz also has just as much options, if not more so.
Does this sound like an NLF on your part, has this Wish Upon A Star ever shown to guarantee such specific skills as Resistance to anything? if not this is only achism ... If you use this logic he could want resistance against all the opponent's haxes (which is obviously an NLF).

Rei Rubro said:
Does this sound like an NLF on your part, has this Wish Upon A Star ever shown to guarantee such specific skills as Resistance to anything? if not this is only achism ... If you use this logic he could want resistance against all the opponent's haxes (which is obviously an NLF).
It has been implied that Wish Upon A Star is capable enough of being used to gain information/knowledge about things, as well as being implied at powerful enough to be used to gain the talents (in this case, it might as well as being able to gain the supernatural abilities of others, based on how Overlord-verse works) of others. So, it isn't that much of a stretch to say that Ainz could use WUAS to gain resistance to the abilities of others, so not much of a NLF.

Ainz doesn't need to wish resistance against all of an opponent's abilities, just specific ones, like Power Nullification and Precognition.

Edit: Anyways, I'm going to be busy for a few hours. I'll be back later.

Grasp Heart would indeed kill Merlin if what I read of him in this thread is true.

Grasp heart isn't only a "Crush your heart" thing.

See, in the game where Overlord's abilities come from, Grasp Heart is treated as a Death Hax. Not a TK or some sort of "it just happens" hax. Grasp Heart is resisted by [Death Magic Resistance], not [Telekinesis Resistance]. This alone means it's more than just crushing the opponent's heart, but lets dig deeper!

Ainz has access to a spell called [Death]. It's basically instant, thought-based and lacks requirements that Grasp Heart needs. Now why would Ainz prefer to use a "Weaker" spell when he has a perfectly fast, thought-based spell alternative? If Grasp Heart really requires the opponent to need a heart/only crushes the heart, why does he prefer it/use it more than [Death]?

tl;dr, almost all the evidence points to Grasp Heart being Death Hax, not "Crushing the opponent's heart". Besides, all it says is "Crush the heart to create Instant Death". Nowhere does it say that it doesn't do Crush Heart + Death Magic.

So take that for what you will.

Oh and Ainz is HILARIOUSLY willing to use Timestop.

In the Lightnovel/Manga (I forgot which one), Ainz didn't teleport like he did in the anime. He used Time Stop and casually walked over behind her. And this is against fodder enemies that's AT BEST level 30 to his level.... Death.

Volume 9:

"[Delay Magic: True Death]."

This was a 9th-tier spell.

He did not use it often because [Grasp Heart] was a more convenient spell.

It have a delay that's why he prefers [Grasp Heart]

Someone who likes to read said:
Volume 9:

"[Delay Magic: True Death]."

This was a 9th-tier spell.

He did not use it often because [Grasp Heart] was a more convenient spell.

It have a delay that's why he prefers [Grasp Heart]
Isn't that because he used the Delay Magic modifier so that he can make casted spells instantly take effect after the time stop ends? Last I've checked, Ainz can pretty much use Delay Magic as a modifier for most, if not all, of his spells (especially so that he can attack his opponents instantly after the time stop ends).

Him stating that Grasp Heart being a more convenient spell is possibly due to it having a less MP cost than True Death (and both of those two spells are in the same tier).

timestop isn't his beginning move, he only did it once or twice in story, in comparison to his insta-death.

Ainz using reality warp to gain resistance? And you assume he'll think of doing that before he gets destroyed by merlin? You're also assuming he would somehow have knowledge that merlin has precognition because he's a good tactician?

Yobobojojo said:
OpMasada said:
timestop isn't his beginning move, he only did it once or twice in story, in comparison to his insta-death.
He's only had and actual fight once or twice tho
>He's only had an actual fight once or twice

Yeah and those actual fights discarded the notion of time-stop. Unless you think he'll use time-stop against shalltear?

Eh. TBH, it really unclear why he did what he did with Shalltear. There was the whole "doesn't want to kill what's essentially the child of his best friends," so that doesn't help either

Back