• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Making Patchouli physically 2-C (Lephyr is holding me at gunpoint edition)

hello gu yz welcoem to another EPIC 2hoe upgrade thread that i made when i should be sleeping nn!N!N!N!N!! hooray!!

Patchouli's current scaling
At the moment, Patchouli's profile states that she's a glass-cannon character, where she's physically 8-B (best tier btw fight me over this) but 2-C with Magic. The reasoning being that magicians are stated lore-wise to be physically weaker (which is literally only stated like once in lore and is obviously bullshit that gets contradicted a lot), and that she relied on magic so much that she's gotten physically weak.

The issue with this
It's only been mentioned once in the entire franchise that Patchouli is physically weak, but not only can she obviously tank and physically harm the high tiers of the verse, it was never stated how weak she actually is, so it's odd to scale her to the low tiers.

Feats of her being on the same level as the high tiers
Unsurprisingly, I'll be using the same arguments that I've used in my Alice upgrade thread, that being that Patchouli is also a playable character in three Touhou fighting games, where the cast fight more physically, and Patchouli has a couple moves where she attacks with her body or physically strikes her opponent.

In Immaterial and Missing Power, Patchouli gets into a fight with a serious Youmu, who we currently classify as 2-C, and during the events of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, she also fights Tenshi, who caused the incident that kickstarted the events of the game because she wanted to pick a fight with the residents of Gensokyo.

Conclusion
There's no reason to make Patchouli physically on par with the fodder of the verse, as while it's stated that magicians, Patchouli especially, are stated to be weak, we don't know how weak they actually are compared to the rest of the verse's cast, and as we're shown in IaMP and SWR Patchouli can tank and dish out against some of the high tiers of the verse. I propose that Patchouli becomes straight-up 2-C because of what I've provided in my argument.
17p1eE7.png

Erm... what the scallop...

I disagree with this but I need a little bit to gather scans. However, I do think giving Patchy an "up to 2-C with magic" for her durability and SS should work since she can clearly amplify those with her magic.

Right, so

There's the scan about physically weak magicians we all know from WaHH, but aside from that, pretty much every source there is on Patchouli cites her physical weakness. I feel like we're really reaching when the only evidence we have is "she has physical attacks in the fighting games" (attacks which are noted to be very weak and rarely used in canon, btw). This also solves the issue of "where do we scale her", since it's mentioned several times that Patchy is as strong as or weaker than a human, which upscale from Cirno's 8-B feat. Also, disagree with saying Youmu was serious in that fight. I know spell cards aren't a hard limit on scaling, but I do try to limit stuff to blatant statements of power levels, or characters straight up trying to kill each other.

Anyways Patchy can increase her physical defense with magic, although I can't find a similar case for striking strength.

Last edited:
I'll concede on scaling her physical attacks to 2-C, but I don't see why the Youmu fight can't be used. While they were using using the Spell Card System in that fight, Youmu was clearly getting a lot more physical and dishing out danmaku that was clearly meant to harm her opponent instead of just look pretty, then there's also the fact that the spell cards she does use all very much imply and show she wants to cave Patchouli's shit in.
not like it matters with that stat amp anyways but still

I'll concede on scaling her physical attacks to 2-C, but I don't see why the Youmu fight can't be used. While they were using using the Spell Card System in that fight, Youmu was clearly getting a lot more physical and dishing out danmaku that was clearly meant to harm her opponent instead of just look pretty, then there's also the fact that the spell cards she does use all very much imply and show she wants to cave Patchouli's shit in.
not like it matters with that stat amp anyways but still
The thing is, this applies to everyone Youmu has ever fought because she's a sword user. The spell cards she uses in that fight are used in other boss fights as well, in cases where Youmu definitely isn't going all out. Let's also not forget that the SCR can make it so attacks like impaling an opponent with hundreds of knives or punching a hole through their chest are non-lethal.

I'm aware of that, it's just that we know characters typically hold back in spell card duels. While that's obviously unquantifiable in and of itself, it's usually an indicator that a character doesn't scale to their full strength. Think of it this way; Meiling is stated to regularly accept challenges from humans, which they survive. While Meiling is definitely holding back, and the humans aren't getting red misted with every punch, we don't scale them to high 6-A by default.

As much as I do think Touhou scaling is overly strict when it comes to SCR, I feel like this is too far even for me.

Back