• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Major Mortal Kombat Revision Part II

This is only the first step of the bigger picture.

We have yet to figure out what to use for the other stats, the scaling and everything else to make Midway versions of the Mortal Kombat characters and eventually edit those that already have a profile.

Okay. Do you have any ideas how to achieve that goal then?

We should bring the Deception feats in, for starters-

Not only that, but we have Deadly Alliance to turn to as well for feats, we could at least look into the Konquest notes for certain characters.

As well as MK4, and possibly the Midway MK comics and so on and so forth.

Remember, this is Midway MK, so we get to go from MK1 all the way to MKA.

Last edited:
Mutilation is unlikely to yield higher than 9-B assuming the victim has human durability.
9-A seems like the highest we can hope for the fighters. Couldn't find more worthwhile feats from canon materials.

For the speed, Jax was able to give Quan Chi a challenging fight in Aramageddon and even injure him:

I wouldn't exactly call Jax a high-tier or speedy character, but he was able to keep up well. So would everyone who scales to Jax (basically everyone) scale to reacting to Raiden's lightning?

Seems like we have 9-A (0.01 tons) as the highest feat available, which might scale to all characters (barring Onaga with the incomplete Kamidogu who is completely invulnerable to Raiden's Low 7-C attack) unless there's a clear power level between kombatants. MHS+ reaction speed scales to the likes of Raiden, the Deadly Alliance, Onaga, and other characters who appear to be top tiers.

Should Midway era abilities be discussed here or on another thread? Tbh I don't feel motivated starting another MK thread or adding something new to MK anymore...

Okay. That seems fine then.

We can probably continue to discuss here if that is most efficient.

Seems like we have 9-A (0.01 tons) as the highest feat available, which might scale to all characters (barring Onaga with the incomplete Kamidogu who is completely invulnerable to Raiden's Low 7-C attack) unless there's a clear power level between kombatants. MHS+ reaction speed scales to the likes of Raiden, the Deadly Alliance, Onaga, and other characters who appear to be top tiers.

Should Midway era abilities be discussed here or on another thread? Tbh I don't feel motivated starting another MK thread or adding something new to MK anymore...
Give it a rest, fren!

Actually, everyone, you can focus on feats and tiering, I'll happily go through each characters move set in Mortal Kombat Armageddon and post a long list according to the supernatural powers in their moveset, as well as any more of Taven's feats in Konquest, since I'm currently speedrunning Konquest in MKA to get all relics because why not, but I'll stop to take a look at stuff.

Give it a rest, fren!

Actually, everyone, you can focus on feats and tiering, I'll happily go through each characters move set in Mortal Kombat Armageddon and post a long list according to the supernatural powers in their moveset, as well as any more of Taven's feats in Konquest, since I'm currently speedrunning Konquest in MKA to get all relics because why not, but I'll stop to take a look at stuff.
Nice, pay attention for details in cutscenes and written lore. You will get some good findings from doing that. Hopefully you can fulfill what you said.

I'll try to deduce what it all leads to.

And yeah, just gotta boot up MKA on the Wii, go to practice mode, and try each character out, should only take 15-30 minutes.

My only problem is... What about the ending? In the end of Konquest, Taven beats Blaze, but then suddenly at the start of MK9, Shao Kahn is shown to have beaten Blaze, and secondly... Blaze's essence has been shown to empower any kombatant that destroys Blaze to great heights, heck, in Raiden's ending, Raiden absorbed Blaze's essence and proceeded to destroy all the realms, including The Netherrealm, which is a world that is infinite in size.

We could assume that Blaze's Essence can bump the guy up to a high tier, since it's capable of doing so much to whoever destroys them, although this could likely just be the product of Power Bestowal. Given in another ending it gave Meat the ability to shapeshift, but it also was capable of boosting Raiden real high in terms of power.

Last edited:
In the mean time, I will post what I know about the Midway games. No proof here unfortunately, all of these are from memory.

Scorpion: In the Netherrealm, he gains Empowerment since he draws strength from being in the 5th plane of the Netherrealm. I'd separate the Netherrealm's inherent effects on magical beings from Scorp's page, but I'll list them here anyways in case a Netherrealm profile is made.

Powers of the 5th plane of the Netherrealm
  • Power Nullification - Drains the magic of those who possess it as an intrinsic quality, such as sorcerers (ex. Quan Chi) and beings maintained/sustained by magic (ex. Ermac) until they get depowered or destroyed in Ermac's case. Skills sourced from magic despite not being magical technically, such as martial arts and fighting styles gained from magic rather than physical training, also get depleted.
  • Statistics Reduction - Same as above, weakens magic users
  • Corruption - Simply being in this realm can twist the (essence?) of others to turn them into monsters like Drahmin. Seems to happen over time tho
Taven: Resistance to Ice Manipulation (In Armageddon's Konquest mode, when Sub-Zero froze the corrupted Lin Kuei members (courtesy of Cyber Smoke) invading his temple with an ice blast, Taven wasn't frozen by it but simply pushed back a little)

Shao Kahn: Empowerment (It was in Khameleon's MKA bio IIRC, he was growing stronger after each battle to the point where she described him to be invulnerable? Idk I forgor)

Ermac: Extrasensory Perception (Can vaguely sense the One Being manipulating Shao Kahn, describing the OB as "the fabric of the realms")

My only problem is... What about the ending? In the end of Konquest, Taven beats Blaze, but then suddenly at the start of MK9, Shao Kahn is shown to have beaten Blaze, and secondly... Blaze's essence has been shown to empower any kombatant that destroys Blaze to great heights, heck, in Raiden's ending, Raiden absorbed Blaze's essence and proceeded to destroy all the realms, including The Netherrealm, which is a world that is infinite in size.

We could assume that Blaze's Essence can bump the guy up to a high tier, since it's capable of doing so much to whoever destroys them, although this could likely just be the product of Power Bestowal. Given in another ending it gave Meat the ability to shapeshift, but it also was capable of boosting Raiden real high in terms of power.
Dunno about that. The Netherrealm being infinite comes from a non-canon game.

In the mean time, I will post what I know about the Midway games. No proof here unfortunately, all of these are from memory.

Scorpion: In the Netherrealm, he gains Empowerment since he draws strength from being in the 5th plane of the Netherrealm. I'd separate the Netherrealm's inherent effects on magical beings from Scorp's page, but I'll list them here anyways in case a Netherrealm profile is made.

Powers of the 5th plane of the Netherrealm
  • Power Nullification - Drains the magic of those who possess it as an intrinsic quality, such as sorcerers (ex. Quan Chi) and beings maintained/sustained by magic (ex. Ermac) until they get depowered or destroyed in Ermac's case. Skills sourced from magic despite not being magical technically, such as martial arts and fighting styles gained from magic rather than physical training, also get depleted.
  • Statistics Reduction - Same as above, weakens magic users
  • Corruption - Simply being in this realm can twist the (essence?) of others to turn them into monsters like Drahmin. Seems to happen over time tho
Taven: Resistance to Ice Manipulation (In Armageddon's Konquest mode, when Sub-Zero froze the corrupted Lin Kuei members (courtesy of Cyber Smoke) invading his temple with an ice blast, Taven wasn't frozen by it but simply pushed back a little)

Shao Kahn: Empowerment (It was in Khameleon's MKA bio IIRC, he was growing stronger after each battle to the point where she described him to be invulnerable? Idk I forgor)

Ermac: Extrasensory Perception (Can vaguely sense the One Being manipulating Shao Kahn, describing the OB as "the fabric of the realms")
Taven and Shujinko would also have resistance to all of the Netherrealm's effects, given the two were still fully capable of doing what they do best during their respective Konquests, also, yes, Taven should also have resistance to cold temperatures, dude casually ran through all of Arctika without mentioning once that he was cold.

Taven should also have possible resistance to electricity manipulation, he was completely fine after being tortured by Sektor, unless that counts as like, Low Regen or something.

Also, as for the Netherrealm Infinite in size thing, I just realized that it's part of the non canon Mortal Kombat: Conquest T.V series, and there would likely be a seperate profile as well that would probably never happen, so I guess we can assume The Netherrealm is the size of any other hell.

Edit: Possibly excluding Corruption for Shujinko, he had to taint his soul in order to enter The Netherrealm (IIRC Shujinko's soul got tainted because he was helping Onaga, this is pretty confusing when you think about it), and The Netherrealm can twist the essence of a being via affecting the soul, (which probably gives Taven resistance to soul manipulation), although, Shujinko apparently spent several years in The Netherrealm, without coming out a vicious monster, I could be wrong and merely assuming this, though, it's been years since I've played Deception's Konquest, Shujinko did train several years in Earthrealm before leaving after all.

Last edited:
Taven and Shujinko would also have resistance to all of the Netherrealm's effects, given the two were still fully capable of doing what they do best during their respective Konquests, also, yes, Taven should also have resistance to cold temperatures, dude casually ran through all of Arctika without mentioning once that he was cold.

Taven should also have possible resistance to electricity manipulation, he was completely fine after being tortured by Sektor, unless that counts as like, Low Regen or something.

Also, as for the Netherrealm Infinite in size thing, I just realized that it's part of the non canon Mortal Kombat: Conquest T.V series, and there would likely be a seperate profile as well that would probably never happen, so I guess we can assume The Netherrealm is the size of any other hell.

Edit: Possibly excluding Corruption for Shujinko, he had to taint his soul in order to enter The Netherrealm (IIRC Shujinko's soul got tainted because he was helping Onaga, this is pretty confusing when you think about it), and The Netherrealm can twist the essence of a being via affecting the soul, (which probably gives Taven resistance to soul manipulation), although, Shujinko apparently spent several years in The Netherrealm, without coming out a vicious monster, I could be wrong and merely assuming this, though, it's been years since I've played Deception's Konquest, Shujinko did train several years in Earthrealm before leaving after all.
All is good, no need for resistance to cold because Taven already resists Sub-Zero's ice powers, it's redundant doing that anyway.

IIRC he tainted his soul because he was working for the Lin Kuei actually. The taint in the soul is separate from the Netherrealm's corruption. He gained that on Earthrealm rather than the Netherrealm. So maybe he qualifies for it, he stayed there for a pretty long time and for multiple times. No need to add soul manip because there's type 2 corruption for that.

I agree on keeping this thread active for the powers and abilities.

I have a question regarding speed, are we sure Raiden's lightning are as fast as real ones? This kind of proof is needed to accept these feats.

Shao and Raiden's feat came out to have too many problems, as discussed in the past in this very thread, such as the ending not canon, the possibility of the statement being flowery language and we don't know if the feat was achieved with multiple hits or not.

I have a question regarding speed, are we sure Raiden's lightning are as fast as real ones? This kind of proof is needed to accept these feats.
I think Raiden's lightning qualifies for real lightning tbh, I'm not sure what are your doubts about his powers...
As for speed, Ashrah can literally wield light, if this would count for anything.
I don't recall Ashrah's powers being actual light by our standards. Just because it looks like light, doesn't mean that it is a real light that can go SoL.

I think I've gotten some plausible Midway feats from games like MKM, MKD, MK3, and MK4.

Apparently Shinnok was capable of expanding The Netherrealm.

In the introduction to MK3, Shao Kahn merges Earthrealm and Outworld.

So, about The One Being, apparently it's stated that all of existence is made up of the dreams of The One Being.

Now, iirc Onaga wanted to fuse the Kamidogu into a single entity so he could become like the One Being.

Now then, in MK: Mythologies Sub-Zero, Quan Chi states that Shinnok can destroy all realms.

Although, I do not know if Mythologies Sub-Zero is canon or not, maybe if for the Midway Timeline? Lemme know what's got issues, or if something is an outlier.

I don't recall Ashrah's powers being actual light by our standards. Just because it looks like light, doesn't mean that it is a real light that can go SoL.
Well, let's look at it this way

1. Are the powers stated to be made of actual/pure light?

2. Does the light reflect off of shiny surfaces like off of water puddles or shiny blade surfaces?

3. Does the light refract in liquids?

4. Is it called light-speed/speed of light by reliable sources?

I think I've gotten some plausible Midway feats from games like MKM, MKD, MK3, and MK4.

Apparently Shinnok was capable of expanding The Netherrealm.

In the introduction to MK3, Shao Kahn merges Earthrealm and Outworld.

So, about The One Being, apparently it's stated that all of existence is made up of the dreams of The One Being.

Now, iirc Onaga wanted to fuse the Kamidogu into a single entity so he could become like the One Being.

Now then, in MK: Mythologies Sub-Zero, Quan Chi states that Shinnok can destroy all realms.

Although, I do not know if Mythologies Sub-Zero is canon or not, maybe if for the Midway Timeline? Lemme know what's got issues, or if something is an outlier.
Expanding the Netherrealm sounds vague, it could either mean physical expansion of the realm's space, or expansion of his power and influence throughout the vastness of the Netherrealm and its inhabitants. No time frame too.

Merging realms is a valid feat, but it doesn't scale to their physicals. It requires reality warping and merging of the spiritual planes IIRC from a tweet by John Tobias

Redundant, we already know that about the One Being. We'll get to his ratings later.

No time frame for Shinnok's feat.

Mythologies is still canon to the Midway timeline.
Well, let's look at it this way

1. Are the powers stated to be made of actual/pure light?

2. Does the light reflect off of shiny surfaces like off of water puddles or shiny blade surfaces?

3. Does the light refract in liquids?

4. Is it called light-speed/speed of light by reliable sources?
Ashrah's light powers are only seen in gameplay and they're just generic fighting game Hadoukens, no blatant light speed stuff.

I think Raiden's lightning qualifies for real lightning tbh, I'm not sure what are your doubts about his powers...
Some evidences need to be gathered, something more than just "he's the God of Thunder and shoots electricity from his hands", otherwise the feat can't be accepted by the wiki rules regarding lightning feats.

Raiden consistently uses cloud-to-ground Lightning, it should be MHS+
The one used for the calc isn't a cloud-to-ground, tho it's already a support evidence.

I agree with Ecstasy on the feat list, most of that is hax and a statement like Shinnok being "the destroyer of all realms" can perfectly be not literal.

Some evidences need to be gathered, something more than just "he's the God of Thunder and shoots electricity from his hands", otherwise the feat can't be accepted by the wiki rules regarding lightning feats.
Raiden has consistently be shown to be able to channel actual cloud-to-ground lightning through his body to use for defensive purposes, and they more or less share the real properties of electricity, like making muscles convulse, actually moving at cloud-to-ground lightning speed and conducting through materials. Not to mention that he himself can turn into actual lightning to strike from the clouds.

So have you reached any new conclusions here?

It's the opposite, we're tackling new problems now

I suggest you sit this one out until we all say we're really done here, so you don't always comment every time we come up with something.

Okay. I will try. I habitually try to keep track of what is happening.

Okay, so far, for powers and abilities... I'm currently on Scorpion, since he's my priority right now, alongside Taven and Shujinko.

Scorpion

Powers and Abilities:
Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Martial Arts (Hapkido and Moi Fah), Weapon Mastery (Casually wields a sword, as well as being able to use his rope dart as a weapon), Acrobatics, Immortality (Type 7, he states that Sub-Zero cannot kill a dead man, and that even if his physical form is defeated, his soul is eternal), Afterimage Creation (When using his teleportation in MKA, an afterimage of Scorpion is left behind whilst teleporting), BFR (Can teleport others to The Netherrealm by simply engulfing them in a flame, where their strength will be drained and powers and fighting skills removed while he grows more powerful with each passing moment), Statistics Reduction (The Netherrealm has properties that can drain the magical powers and energies of those who possess magical properties. The only way to counter this is to find a permanent source of magic to replenish lost energies), Extrasensory Perception (Able to detect Netherrealm taint in one's soul), Enhanced Senses (Can sense presences from afar, he could still sense Quan Chi even after they fled to another realm), Necromancy (Can summon the undead Shirai Ryu ninjas who have their own hellfire powers), Summoning (Can summon Skull creatures that can spit hellfire and explosive projectiles), Hellfire Manipulation (Able to generate and manipulate hellfire), Breath Attack (Is capable of breathing out Hellfire), Teleportation (Can teleport around the area, and even uses it to surprise attack the opponent from another angle), Self-Sustenance (Type 2), Resistance to Corruption and Transmutation (Can endure being in the 5th plane of the Netherrealm, which can twist any being into a vicious monster by affecting their souls. For instance, after an intense battle in the Netherrealm, Sareena lost control of her human form due to the realm's dark energy), Soul Manipulation (He was thrown into a big Soulnado in Deadly Alliance, but did not lose his soul to it)

He has immortality, but what types was it? I know he has Type 7 from what he said in MK4: "You cannot kill a dead man, you may have defeated my physical form, but my soul is eternal."

Also, should he have Resurrection? I am asking since he revived himself as soon as he got killed.

Aaaand to further back up my Soulnado resistance thing, in his Deception bio card, he apparently escaped the Soulnado and into The Void without losing his soul, would that allow for Dimensional Travel? Yes, The Void is yet another separate realm.

I'll provide some statements that might upgrade the gods in the verse.

Found this interview with Ed Boon. According to him, Earthrealm extends further than the Solar System, and while it doesn't encompass the entire universe, its size doesn't have 'physical limits':

So it seems that the realms are dimensions within the universe that are larger than a solar system.
There are some statements about destroying realms, but I'll assume it is over time or just referring to the planets with civilization.

In the Mortal Kombat II Collector's Edition comic, Shao Kahn states that his powers grew while the realm ceased to grow with it, and that he needs room for his power to expand.
euWoWgZ.png

This is not metaphorical; the size of the realm of Outworld was not big enough to contain his magical power. This is not an egoistic "My army is too powerful for just this realm". John Tobias, who also wrote the comic, stated that Shao Kahn was suffocating on his own power because it was confined within Outworld, and that he needed to access more realms to survive.

In Shao Kahn's ending in Armageddon (which is the canon ending per Mortal Kombat 9), it is stated that absorbing Blaze increased his power 10 folds:
Blaze was no match for Shao Kahn the Konqueror. His strength increased tenfold, the forces of Light could not fend off his final invasion as he merged each realm with Outworld. But his ultimate triumph was soon to be his downfall. With nothing left to conquer, Shao Kahn was driven to madness.
And that was enough to make him more powerful than the Elder Gods per MK9.

Interestingly enough, Kobra's ending in Armageddon stated that absorbing Blaze increased his power 1000 folds, implying he is much weaker than Shao Kahn and that the power increase is not consistent:
Because of his victory over blaze, Kobra's strength was increased a thousand fold. Emboldened, he demanded the Elder Gods declare him Lord of the Realms. they assented, but added that no lord should be without his lady. Kobra chose Kira to rule at his side, and the Elder Gods transformed her into a goddess of death. With a kiss, Kira extinguished Kobra's life force and reduced his body to dust. Let all who would make demands of the Elder Gods beware.

Smoke empowered by Blaze is able to transform an entire realm into sentient smoke within a short time:
Smoke's power lies in his nanobot technology. Microscopic machines course through his veins, constantly repairing and altering his being. But when infused with the power of Blaze, his nanobots took on a life of their own. Multiplying at an exponential rate, they were soon numerous enough to consume Edenia, transforming the entire realm into a mass of sentient grey material that calls itself Smoke.

According to the MK4 comic, emulating Raiden's ability to open dimensional portals with technology requires a nuclear generator:
3g6VIar_d.webp

Hmmmmm, are the comics canon to the original timeline? If so, I could see possible grounds for an upgrade.

I'm having a bit more faith on realms being larger than a planet or even a solar system. If I recall correctly, Tobias said that each realm has its own astral plane or spiritual plane of existence. Realm merging works by merging one realm's astral plane with another, causing the material plane to follow suit. This seems to be abandoned in favor of the Kamidogu though and I don't recall the Kamidogu having anything to do with planes or the furies that the old MK lore mentions. To quote one of his tweets:
So, I always saw a realm as a spiritual reality as much as a physical place. Whether it’s Outworld or Netherrealm or Earth... they all exist on parallel planes. The physical manifestations being the world we know and can comprehend... But, it’s the spiritual manifestation that makes the chaotic convergence of the physical realms possible. And, when physical realms merge realities merge because on parallel planes of existence... Earth is Outworld and Outworld is Earth. That merging includes our perception of planets and the infinite cosmos beyond...
Because we wanted MK’s underlying themes to be steeped in esoteric mysticism and the eastern concept of furies and the consequences of unbalancing them was spiritual in nature. So, if there was an ‘other’ world with designs on our world, the idea was that ‘they’ would cross planes of existence to get here. Their ability to open that gateway was spiritual not physical. Magic not science.
Sounds like potential Low 2-C upgrades for realm merging AP and teleportation range, plus an added note that gods and godlike beings like Raiden and Shao should have Dimensional Travel for having access to planes of existence beyond the physical or material one. Only problem about this is the Kamidogu and the lore around it, which seems to contradict the lore of MK1-4 unless there's some scrap of lore that I missed.

The Armageddon endings aren't very relevant here tbh

With what I posted above, I'm not sure how does the SF opening portals via nuclear generators relate to what you posted.

The first thing to do is analyze if what happens in the comics is consistent with the events of the games, if there's some kind of continuity and no contradiction, unless specific statements from the authors are available (and even then, consistency is important).

Even then, Solar System Shao Kahn sounds a bit weird, if not totally an outlier. It may also be possible that his powers growing too much doesn't actually correlate to Attack Potency, but that's a bit of an assumption.

Using Blaze as an example isn't really good, as defeating him always gives a big power boost to the one who kills him, since Blaze is basically a gift of the Elder Gods to end the interrealm wars once and for all.
Blaze also can't logically be as strong as the boost he grants to his killer, otherwise his killer would be already stronger than the power Blaze gives him, resulting in a loophole.

The portal generator needing a nuclear generator doesn't mean much either. Raiden uses magical powers to create portals, while humans have to use science, which doesn't mean Raiden himself is comparable to a nuclear generator.

The first thing to do is analyze if what happens in the comics is consistent with the events of the games, if there's some kind of continuity and no contradiction, unless specific statements from the authors are available (and even then, consistency is important).

Even then, Solar System Shao Kahn sounds a bit weird, if not totally an outlier. It may also be possible that his powers growing too much doesn't actually correlate to Attack Potency, but that's a bit of an assumption.

Using Blaze as an example isn't really good, as defeating him always gives a big power boost to the one who kills him, since Blaze is basically a gift of the Elder Gods to end the interrealm wars once and for all.
Blaze also can't logically be as strong as the boost he grants to his killer, otherwise his killer would be already stronger than the power Blaze gives him, resulting in a loophole.

The portal generator needing a nuclear generator doesn't mean much either. Raiden uses magical powers to create portals, while humans have to use science, which doesn't mean Raiden himself is comparable to a nuclear generator.
Exactly what I was trying to say, especially with the portal stuff. Good point on the Blaze stuff too.

With what I posted, I think realm merging (at least according to all the MK games that Tobias wrote) doesn't have any AP at all. Sure, physical worlds beyond the planet are being merged into another, but this is all a consequence of merging one realm's astral plane with another's astral plane. AP is not applicable in metaphysical stuff like this. Least we can get from this is an upgrade to Shao's hax range and reservoir of power (could be added to his stamina), since he was draining so much life force out of his own realm.

I don't hear any unbalancing of furies or astral plane merging in MK Deadly Alliance and onward though. These two are very crucial to realm merging since it involves the MK tournament and its creators the Elder Gods, all of which were once a central point of the old games' plot. Now it's just the Kamidogu that's required in merging realms rather than furies or astral plane stuff.

I strongly believe realm merging is a form of hax, and we don't even know how much time it takes. Even without considering the whole metaphysical merging, and the fact that the boundaries of the realms are weird, there's no evidence afaik of a universal energy system that ties Shao's merging magic to his physical or energy attacks.

Back