• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Major Mario CRT 2: The Lost Levels

Question: Culex in Super Mario RPG has radically different dialogues in his Japanese version, about how he is confused about the 'third dimension' Mario and others are (he is essentially a parody on how FF characters were only two dimensional sprites back then)

Shoudln't we change him accordingly?

Frieza force soldier 100 said:
Shouldn't Mario be at genius level in intelligence since he's a doctor who invented the Megavitamins that can instantly cure any virus through the right combination and also outsmarted archaeologists and scientists during his vacation to Pi'illo Island, solving the very mystery that left the aforementioned people scratching their heads?
It wss added but removed right after

Deadmemeguy said:
Shouldn't the Dark Star be low 2-C for copying Bowser's genes and being called a cosmic threat?
Yes, at least Dark Bowser should.

@Frieza He was, but then Ant removed it? Idk why, it was pretty consistently agreed upon.

That also seems legit. There was a page being torn as it was created, and the dimension rips apart and collapses with the cast returning to exactly where they were before the incident implies it was a created dimension. And Mr L did say something about it coming from Brobot's powers.

As a baby, he was able to obtain a doctorate and help fight off an alien invasion. He's a plumber, carpenter, physician, and has had many other occupations. He can pilot anything from a go-kart to a spaceship. He also is a combat and sports expert.

Frieza force soldier 100 said:
As a baby, he was able to obtain a doctorate and help fight off an alien invasion. He's a plumber, carpenter, physician, and has had many other occupations. He can pilot anything from a go-kart to a spaceship. He also is a combat and sports expert.
Yeah even as a youngster he has abnormally gifted borderline genius I.Q. from the beginning, And wasn't there a time a grown up Mario actually had a spare time machine somewhere?

I'll contact a couple of staff members to comment here regarding the stuff in the OP.

To avoid any further problems, everyone should link to this thread in the edit summary while editing any Mario pages, so as to avoid any confusion.

Dino needs reasons to reject shit rather than removing it for seemingly no reason. He's listed as a supported but frankly he's the only one holding the series back ironically.

Also, it should be noted Goombas are only dumb in the sidescrollers. In the RPGs and in many others cases they can speak coherent sentences, have functional villages, can pilot vehicles just fine, and likely more. They should be on average average. If we used every goddamn mechanic from sidescrollers, Bowser would also be dumb as hell for literally killing himself in every scenario, but most especially in SMB3.

But whatever.

@Fox, can you please not personally attack him. And I agree that not all Goombas are dumb, though most generic Goombas in the RPG series actually typically have that muscles instead of brains personality. I don't mind average, but the average goomba is still noticeably less intelligent than the average human.

I can't really remember a time where a Koopa has average human intelligence.

Also I do agree with Fox somewhat, Dino didn't give reasoning for rejecting the Low 2-C feats aside from them being outliers (which is dependant on there only being two or three feats despite several more being brought up) and the Culex statements which were more supporting evidence anyway. I believe characters can scale to other characters who have the tier of "X, possibly Y" and only have the tier of X, in which case powerscaling isn't an issue either.

I have a suggestion for Goombas

It's very very clear they vary from place to place. We have had done be able to stand up with mid tiers like the Koopa kids and are much more tactical thinkers, and others than are stupid enough to walk off a ledge. So why not their they have their page vary. Like how magikarps vary since species shown different power levels, Goombas could vary too. This is a species after all, not an individual

Other than the one Goomba in the superstar saga remake and private Goomba, I don't know of any other cases where Goombas have threatened a mid tier in canon. They'd just be specific Goombas who the rest of the species don't scale to, like how we don't scale species profiles to notable individuals in general.

The Culex statement is still rather vague, and outliers can still be outliers even if there is 9 or 10 feats. The number of feats doesn't made something an outlier or not, it's about context, consistency, and being reasonable to the plot is what determines it.

Every single Low 2-C feat performed by Base Mario or others has always been something like, "Bowser had a power up that makes him infinitely superior to how he was previously, and yet still lost to Mario for plot reasons." Unless Mario himself is infinitely superior regularly, which he is not, then this should just be disregarded as PIS. Mario tanking the Sammer Kingdom is a legit durability feat, but it still appears to be an outlier unless Mario is a stone wall. Meta-Bug is actually a 2-C feat as opposed to a Low 2-C feat if he's merging multiple universes. And Black Jewel fight is legit, but still something that seems outlierish.

All in all, the Mario cast have literally billions of stellar feats while very few Tier 2 feats by comparison and a lot of them were dependent on power ups they didn't normally have access to.

GyroNutz said:
Other than the one Goomba in the superstar saga remake and private Goomba, I don't know of any other cases where Goombas have threatened a mid tier in canon. They'd just be specific Goombas who the rest of the species don't scale to, like how we don't scale species profiles to notable individuals in general.
Bowsers minions had Goombas and other minions capable of fighting with each other and Koopas kids quite a few times in canon. It showed the minions being roughly on par with each other, Goombas were the weaker of them, but still put up a fight, as well as fighting with the Koopa kids a few times. Iirc, they may have fought Kamej too.

Mario beat multiple Grand Star wielders, so It isn't that inconsistant for him to beat Bowser with one

https://imgur.com/JFdgemV

"Bowser Jr. holds the next Grand Star. The Koopa King's offspring has a mighty pirate fleet he unleashes to slow you down, but with Yoshi at your side, you'll survive the ships. The massive robot Bowser Jr. is powering with the Grand Star is the toughest challenge yet, so be sure to seek out a Life Mushroom so you meet Megahammer prepared for battle."

https://imgur.com/nuyNWQL

"The first Grand Star is held by Bowser Jr. He uses it to power Gobblegut, a massive drago that coils around the final planet in this galaxy. Gobblegut is the toughest enemy you have battled yet, but the fight is as fun as it is challenging.

https://youtu.be/aodwjzDpa4E?t=91

Bowser Jr.: "Go at 'em Megaleg! Stomp 'em with the power of your Grand Star!"

Bowser becoming infinitely more powerful with something like the Grand Star assumes he isn't Low 2-C in base, and in turn, assumes Mario isn't a base Low 2-C fighting a more, but not overwhelmingly, powerful Bowser. Bowser certainly didn't have the grand star when tanking the supermassive black hole. And I don't think your standards for determining an outlier really work with a plot as fluid as Mario's, the main way to judge consistency would be number of feats.

The problem is, Bowser requiring the Grand Star in order to perform Tier 2 feats to begin with question the validity of him being Tier 2 in base form to begin with. And in turn, those who scale from him.

He was using the grand star to create a galaxy. It's more likely that it's not an AP issue, but that Bowser isn't capable of creating galaxies from nothing.

The difference is that Piccolo does have the Power to destroy the Universe naturally, and scales from characters who can destroy the Universe without power ups. Here, it's just Mario being full of inconsistencies and plot armor, so the Dragon Ball comparison is fallacious.

Also, I do agree that Mario cast becoming a doctors as babies sounds like a Genius intelligence feat and kind of explained why in detail. Because it's not like Einstein or Newton were that smart as babies. Plus, Wario and Bowser are both mechanical geniuses.

Mr. L is basically a brainwashed Luigi, so Luigi should be just as intelligent.

Wouldn't that make it higher levels of genius? Cause if he created brobot who created that dimension area, that seems like that would take a quite a higher degree of intelligence. Iirc, it's specifically brobot who does it.

I really don't care overall if Mario does or doesn't become Low 2-C. But uh, how do you guys feel about resistance to fate manipulation via Super Paper Mario? Did some more research and it overall adds up.

Back