• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Madness Combat CRT

All of this comes from Krinkels' Q&A page.

Nevada

Now Nevada's landscape statement may lead you to believe it doesn't have a metric system at all, but what Krinkels was implying was that scenes like where characters jump out of pockets in the air (like Tricky in Madness Combat 3 where he blowtorches a room in the sky) cause it to be twisted and weird. How they measure things is likely majorly influenced by this, but in areas where "pockets" aren't present we can still use the metric system.

This basically means the characters are incredibly skilled to move around in a twisted inside/out space with numerous different measurement systems, and that we can never calc pocket feats. :^(

However emotions are also mentioned as an important thing in Nevada. Essentially whenever someone is scared or angry, they're stronger, but when they're ecstatic they're WAY stronger. Also, everyone would have this Empowerment plus a resistance to Fear Inducement.

Jeb
Firstly, as something notable for how he acts in character, he suffers from cognitive dissonance that makes him think his violence actions are a good thing. Also, Krinkels says here (in regards to Jeb killing Tricky) "Jeb un-knit his body from the Nevadean mortal coil real quick like. He sent Hank to hell but Tricky is such a mess that his body still contained a lot of his energy, which the Auditor eventually absorbed much to his chagrin."

So whenever Jeb kills someone, he sends them to hell, away from the physical planes of Nevada. Furthermore, sending them away on a non-physical scale most likely implies soul interaction. We see more of this here: "The halo is a nexus artifact used to enable interaction between the worlds." So this implies Dimensional Travel and/or passive inter-dimensional soul BFR for Jeb, and also likely the Auditor when he gets the halo.

Higher Powers
They're said to be what wills things to happe. If they don't allow something it can't happen. This seems to be Fate Manipulation. Also, I've seen some arguments on threads recently saying that because the Higher Powers sometimes don't resurrect characters, it isn't reliable. This is absolutely not true. The Higher Powers are said to grant the main protagonists "massive plot armor" because the protags have good physical and mental endurance. Any example of the protags not getting revived is typically just PIS for the sake of continuing a specific storyline. (Ex. Tricky not getting revived when Jeb kills him in Madness 8) The type 8 immortality is actually the characters getting resurrected over and over for the sake of madness because their physical/mental capabilities are entertaining. The Higher Powers literally control the fate and plot of what happens in favor of them, continuosly reviving them. However, if the Higher Powers are not entertained or there isn't madness, we should assume they won't revive the protags.

Conclusion
Everyone gains the following;

• Resistance to Fear Inducement (It's noted by Madness Combat's creator that fear doesn't influence very well in the verse)
  • Empowerment (Nevadean residents can become stronger under the influence of fear and/or anger, and gain an even larger stat boost when ecstatic)
  • Extremely Skilled (Can navigate in their "twisted inside/out" world where they have two sets of measurement due to holes in reality)
  • Longevity (Nobody ages in the standard world)
Jeb and the Auditor (post-halo) gain the following;

• Soul Manipulation and BFR (Upon physically killing someone, the victim's soul is released from the standard plane into hell)
  • Dimensional Travel (As a Nexus Artifact, the halo's purpose is to grant travel between the main world and hell)

Looks good

This also makes the type 8 more or less combat applicable, right?

Edit: outright not aging is type 1 immortality btw

So, in such a case, Higher Powers can be dictated/restricted, I assume? OP says The Higher Powers are bored/uninterested?

Since to be fair, have fun making matches with them with an unrestrictable Type 8.

Stronger via Bloodlust, truly the greatest profiles.

So, is there anyone to fight now that we have combat applicable Type 8, as well as the option to turn it off?

Maybe some hardass 9-As that could kill them a lot via hax? Basically now they could fight haxxed characters and come out on top bc of immo and skill.

Alright. I will say "Nevada is their entire world" is kinda not equal to Nevada is planet sized. I don't actually know what we'd take it as.

Supernatural fear manip would still work but yeah, just "ooooh scary" stuff should be fine.

That is absolutely not a longevity statement. That's a joke about all of them being killed off. Nah homie. Nah. Other general person stuff is generally okay.

I disagree with Soul Manip for Jeb's stuff, that sounds like he's just describing energy. Since he says the word energy. Jeb sounds like he's just sending energy places (while that could be like soul manip, it isn't as useful on here, sadly).

Well. Do we consider any reference the word powers as a noun as The Higher Powers, or just Krinkels himself? I'm iffy on that one. For the record it sounds like the Higher Powers are just an equivalent to Krinkels making sure characters stick around while he wants them to be around. As far as powers go it would be like getting Stan Lee (RIP you saint) confirming that he doesn't like killing off Spider Man in comic books. Not super applicable. This is compounded by the fact that these ideas aren't confirmed in-verse, they're confirmed by WoG.

TL;DR- Reject all Higher Power stuff, okay with Dimensional Travel, Energy Manip should replace Soul Manip, Longevity is no, Fear Resist isn't applicable to supernatural fear but otherwise is okay. All other standard powers are fine.

I don't think there is any evidence saying Nevada is a whole planet, it's just all they have.

"That is absolutely not a longevity statement. That's a joke about all of them being killed off. Nah homie. Nah. Other general person stuff is generally okay."

He's making fun of the idea of older age and joking about it, that doesn't remotely imply anything about the writing, characters being killed off, etc. That would be totally irrelevant for him to randomly say regardless; the topic was about in-verse aging, and so naturally his response has to be about in-verse aging, not something absurd.

"I disagree with Soul Manip for Jeb's stuff, that sounds like he's just describing energy. Since he says the word energy. Jeb sounds like he's just sending energy places (while that could be like soul manip, it isn't as useful on here, sadly)."

He was talking about energy only because even when dead Tricky's body left behind energy that killed the Auditor, he was essentially explaining that. It's definitely soul stuff because it specifically says that Tricky was released from the mortal coil in their world despite his body still being there. This also confirms death affects souls.

"Well. Do we consider any reference the word powers as a noun as The Higher Powers, or just Krinkels himself? I'm iffy on that one. For the record it sounds like the Higher Powers are just an equivalent to Krinkels making sure characters stick around while he wants them to be around. As far as powers go it would be like getting Stan Lee (RIP you saint) confirming that he doesn't like killing off Spider Man in comic books. Not super applicable. This is compounded by the fact that these ideas aren't confirmed in-verse, they're confirmed by WoG."

Again, Krinkels answering a question with something totally irrelevant when it's talking about in-verse is absurd, plus he's confirmed the existence of the Higher Powers and didn't deny them in that statement saying it was him. If you want to suggest something is a fourth wall break, it has to be relevant. This entire notion of characters sticking around (especially when it has nothing to do with the characters' span in the cartoon at all) is headcanon.

Also WoG is applicable to in-verse stuff. If the creator can make statements within his series contributing to the lore he should also be able to do it outside of it as its creator with the ability to determine the plotline. Also RIP Stan Lee.

The Higher Powers stuff should still stand, along with the other stuff you said abided by the stick-around-headcanon.

So you're saying you made a longevity statement out of something that isn't a longevity statement. Either way this just isn't what was said. His comment was literally just disregarding the possibility of old age. Concerning dudes who get slaughtered by the hundreds. I'm gonna say one is more likely than the other.

Eh, like I said this is essentially the same as soul manip as I described it but just used their words. If you're adamant then I'll deal with being lukewarm.

I mean. It is relevant lol? He said they have plot armor, that's an authorial tool that's never acknowledged in verse. If you want to disregard me, don't invite me. I reject this part of the CRT because it has some pretty blatant "hey this is just me" stuff in it. WoG could be applicable, but saying "I give these characters plot armor" isn't actually "this character is fated to live/win". So I can't really agree to that.

Yea, longevity seems like a stretch.

Soul Manipulation, though? Seems pretty clear that he's got something similar, albeit with metaphorical language.

The Higher Powers' rezzing is supported in canon- the only problem usually had is the timeframe, and the fact that it's quite random when they revive and when they don't. Now, we have an answer- it's literally a subjective matter of what The Higher Powers think.

"So you're saying you made a longevity statement out of something that isn't a longevity statement. Either way this just isn't what was said. His comment was literally just disregarding the possibility of old age. Concerning dudes who get slaughtered by the hundreds. I'm gonna say one is more likely than the other."

No I'm saying the idea that he's referring to them not being killed off is something completely irrelevant to the actual question, so an irrelevant answer doesn't seem likely.

"I mean. It is relevant lol? He said they have plot armor, that's an authorial tool that's never acknowledged in verse. If you want to disregard me, don't invite me. I reject this part of the CRT because it has some pretty blatant "hey this is just me" stuff in it. WoG could be applicable, but saying "I give these characters plot armor" isn't actually "this character is fated to live/win". So I can't really agree to that."

You're absolutely strawmanning me here. I said that in the context of they revive them reliably, not that they have usable plot armor. Don't state something for me that I'm not even arguing. Also, you were invited so you could share your opinion and discuss it. It's not like I knew what you were going to say, and if I disagree I'm allowed to debate with you. Otherwise, a mod's opinion would have total power over the thread which isn't true.

It isn't "just me" saying this, it's confirmation by the author that the Higher Powers do revive the characters consistently and why they do it. I'm not saying they should get in combat plot armor, and that'd be nulled by SBA anyway; I'm saying the Higher Powers consistently fate manip and rez characters in combat. Regardless of whether you agree, you should defend your point, and you disagreeing shouldn't matter if you don't.

It seems likely to me.

But it is literally referred to as plot armor. You used that statement as support for them being reliably revived, to which I said "wouldn't this just be the author being unwilling to kill them off", and then we landed here. The confirmation by the author is saying that they live by plot armor. He says that explicitly. So I gotta disagree to this part. Sorry m80.

If there's an in-verse reason for the 'plot armor,' it does not matter what it is, that means it's a thing in-verse.

It wasn't stated in verse. The author, in the answering of a question, stated that such things were plot armor. He acknowledged it. Not in verse viewpoints, Krinkels himself.

Mr. Bambu said:
It wasn't stated in verse. The author, in the answering of a question, stated that such things were plot armor. He acknowledged it. Not in verse viewpoints, Krinkels himself.
The author, answering a question, answered a question with an in-verse reason.

"It seems likely to me."

That doesn't make it more valid or usable.

"But it is literally referred to as plot armor. You used that statement as support for them being reliably revived, to which I said "wouldn't this just be the author being unwilling to kill them off", and then we landed here. The confirmation by the author is saying that they live by plot armor. He says that explicitly."

Again this entire idea that Krinkels answers with irrelevant propositions that say the characters won't die because he chooses to keep them in is entirely headcanon. Krinkels is answering in-verse questions with in-verse answers: that's the baseline assumption. You're taking what you hear and using that to say this isn't true, rather something totally baseless is.

"He says that explicitly. So I gotta disagree to this part. Sorry m80."

Again if you can't defend your views then that doesn't matter.

"It wasn't stated in verse. The author, in the answering of a question, stated that such things were plot armor. He acknowledged it. Not in verse viewpoints, Krinkels himself."

I'll quote what Moritzva said here:

"The author, answering a question, answered a question with an in-verse reason."

Can you in any way legitimately prove, Bambu, that Krinkels is answering a plot point with something absolutely irrelevant to the plot at all? He literally said that it was the actions of the Higher Powers. Anything saying that it was his decision is contradicted by his own statement.

Seriously, this is reaching toward ad nauseum. At this point it's just Bambu's opinion. Can we move on with the additions?

4 people have agreed with my initial post, and it seems most of Bambu's reasonings have been disproven. I'll still wait a bit until I make the additions, but it seems for the most part this is fair.

Then why does what seems more likely to you have more bearing.

"Disproven" isn't a thing here. What you have done is ignored a lot of it.

I give in though, wank away

Back