• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is not that Mario doesn't have a canon, it's that Mario's power level fluctuates, like Marvel or DC comics. However, while there's many showings of an amped Bowser losing to the bros (Though often with some help), Bowser is, even more often, impossible to hurt by direct means.

Your arguments make sense, but even though the games are connected, and do not feature different versions of the characters, as far as I have understood, they portray Mario and the rest of the cast at very different power levels, depending on what is appropriate for the story. Hence, we should probably recognise that via a few different statistics keys.

The issue is not that Mario doesn't have a canon, it's that Mario's power level fluctuates, like Marvel or DC comics.
Yes, and it is much easier to separate said power levels in this case. Perhaps 4 keys would be enough? The games where he is portrayed at his weakest, the standard/general/currently used power level, the games where he is usually portrayed at his strongest (Low 2-C), and the Paper Mario RPG, which is even higher.

Yes, and it is much easier to separate said power levels in this case. Perhaps 4 keys would be enough? The games where he is portrayed at his weakest, the standard/general/currently used power level, the games where he is usually portrayed at his strongest (Low 2-C), and the Paper Mario RPG, which is even higher.
I think it'd be better to separate by series, something like

2D Platformers (Which should be something like Tier 8) | 3D Platformers (Tier 4, possibly Tier 2) | Paper Mario and SMRPG (Tier 2) | Spinoffs? Mario & Luigi?

I'm not sure, this would be one hell of a project.

Last edited:
The issue is not that Mario doesn't have a canon, it's that Mario's power level fluctuates, like Marvel or DC comics. However, while there's many showings of an amped Bowser losing to the bros (Though often with some help), Bowser is, even more often, impossible to hurt by direct means.
Bad argument, because that only applies to different canons. You have to prove Mario canonically gets weaker, he's still a top tier in each subseries.

Armor, saying you can't harm Bowser is a beeg lie. If we wanna take the original Mario trilogy, Bowser can die via Mario's fire and hammers. 64 lets Mario easily swing him and throw him far with no issues, Mario would need comparable strength. Sunshine doesn't let you hit him due to being inside a large tub of acid. Galaxy 1/2 has Mario defeating Bowser with his spin attack. 3D Land/World doesn't let you fight him sadly. While Mario is using Bowser's own hat in Odyssey, he can at least use Cappy to block off these hits.

Majority of the time Mario is indeed besting Bowser. And that's not even going into Bowser's diary where he complains about Mario being big and strong ovo

Bad argument, because that only applies to different canons. You have to prove Mario canonically gets weaker, he's still a top tier in each subseries.
Mario has no showings on that level in most games and tons of, albeit gameplay-related for the most part, anti-feats. No shit he's a top tier, he's the protagonist. The general scaling doesn't fluctuate too much in Marvel either, Spider-Man's almost always stronger than Daredevil, the issue is that sometimes they're both 9-C and sometimes they're both High 8-C.
Armor, saying you can't harm Bowser is a beeg lie. If we wanna take the original Mario trilogy, Bowser can die via Mario's fire and hammers. 64 lets Mario easily swing him and throw him far with no issues, Mario would need comparable strength. Sunshine doesn't let you hit him due to being inside a large tub of acid. Galaxy 1/2 has Mario defeating Bowser with his spin attack. 3D Land/World doesn't let you fight him sadly. While Mario is using Bowser's own hat in Odyssey, he can at least use Cappy to block off these hits.
Without power-ups, you cannot hurt him in any 2D platformer, and he can two/three-shot you if you have them anyway, while you're gonna need dozens of fireballs to bring the true Bowser down. In 64, you need to sneak up behind him to throw him, if you approach him from the front he'll just hurt you (and we don't scale LS to AP anyway). And in Odyssey, you neglected to mention that no, he cannot hurt him. In 3D Land, you cannot hurt him in any way (Unless you have the non-canon super star tanuki suit power-up). In virtually all sports games, he's a power-type character, and therefore more durable and powerful than Mario. In Mario Party (except for Super), he's basically unbeatable and just gets to take stars or coins away from you. In SMRPG, you're unable to hurt him at all and he inflicts way higher damage than Mario when playable. Baby Bowser is still too strong for Yoshi to directly damage, though shockwaves do the trick.

You need to willingly ignore most boss battles to say that Bowser isn't stronger than Mario.
Majority of the time Mario is indeed besting Bowser. And that's not even going into Bowser's diary where he complains about Mario being big and strong ovo
That's because Mario's more skilled, not stronger. (And because Bowser's a bit stupid)

Mario has no showings on that level in most games and tons of, albeit gameplay-related for the most part, anti-feats. No shit he's a top tier, he's the protagonist. The general scaling doesn't fluctuate too much in Marvel either, Spider-Man's almost always stronger than Daredevil, the issue is that sometimes they're both 9-C and sometimes they're both High 8-C.
Great logic, you wanna apply that logic to quite literally every verse or is Mario the only exception you want to make? This is an argument I can use on every verse that is long running, Mario is no exception. But the fact that he has feats from serveral subseries (Mainline, M&L, Paper Mario, Wario) makes it useable. Arguments for keys have been ******* beaten to death many times. "Mario is strong because he's the protagonist" keep up with the lore my guy, Star Child and one of the Four Heroes of Light is a better reason.

Without power-ups, you cannot hurt him in any 2D platformer, and he can two/three-shot you if you have them anyway, while you're gonna need dozens of fireballs to bring the true Bowser down.
Another bad argument yet again, power-ups scale to base form since Mario's already been able to tank them, such as fighting Luigi in the Mario vs Luigi mode. Also the Fire Flower nor Hammer Suit are amps, argument nulled. Are you seriously using hit points as a thing to debate durability? Do game mechanics not exist to you? Also dozens of fire balls is an exaggerated number, you should know from playing it hardly requires that many Fire Balls (and the hammer is even better).

In 64, you need to sneak up behind him to throw him, if you approach him from the front he'll just hurt you (and we don't scale LS to AP anyway).
Yet Bowser would need comparable LS since he's displayed this. Also "sneak up", Mario isn't Snake, he runs past him. I should also mention those bombs are something Mario can also take without dying.

And in Odyssey, you neglected to mention that no, he cannot hurt him.
And you also neglect how the first cutscene literally displayed the two fighting for some time. Bowser is not a stonewall in canon. You'd think that if Mario can block an attack that harms Bowser would also make him scale.

In virtually all sports games, he's a power-type character, and therefore more durable and powerful than Mario.
Ah, but you also ignore how Mario can still harm him and isn't far off either. You'd also be ignoring with games that have story modes, such as Tennis Aces where Mario yet again defeats another amped Bowser. It seems to me like you're lacking on some stuff.

Mario Party (except for Super), he's basically unbeatable and just gets to take stars or coins away from you.
So you still continue to prove that you're missing some stuff. Have you ever considered actually taking other stuff into consideration than just the boards? In Mario Party 2, each ending literally has the characters besting Bowser. In the story modes for games like DS, 4, 5, etc, you are fighting Bowser at the end.

In SMRPG, you're unable to hurt him at all and he inflicts way higher damage than Mario when playable.
No offence but the more I read, the more I doubt you. The first boss of SMRPG is literally Bowser himself, and Mario won. Did you just skip past that? If we're going by stats, Mario's attack power is only 0.8x weaker.

Baby Bowser is still too strong for Yoshi to directly damage, though shockwaves do the trick.
Despite the fact the sequels display otherwise and Baby Mario defeats Baby Bowser in PiT? Dude, come on.

That's because Mario's more skilled, not stronger.
Skill can only take you so far, especially when you'd be ignoring everything the RPGs displayed.

I wasn't going to comment here but seeing people continuosly meontining other verses unrelated to the thread made me do it

Stop bringing Sonic/Kirby/Zelda/Dragon Ball in these threads as an argument for Mario, especially posts like "If Sonic is tier 2 why can't Mario be tier 2", this just reeks of bias (especially when most of the people saying this have or will probably FRA any downgrade threads of these verses) and makes your side look far worser and it isn't even an argument

I don't see members of these verses doing this and so shouldn't you

Armor's arguments in a nutshell:
unknown.png

Great logic, you wanna apply that logic to quite literally every verse or is Mario the only exception you want to make? This is an argument I can use on every verse that is long running, Mario is no exception. But the fact that he has feats from serveral subseries (Mainline, M&L, Paper Mario, Wario) makes it useable. Arguments for keys have been ******* beaten to death many times. "Mario is strong because he's the protagonist" keep up with the lore my guy, Star Child and one of the Four Heroes of Light is a better reason.
Ok? I don't see how the scaling changes this somehow. The logic behind Mario having different keys is the same as Wario and DK having different keys.
Another bad argument yet again, power-ups scale to base form since Mario's already been able to tank them, such as fighting Luigi in the Mario vs Luigi mode. Also the Fire Flower nor Hammer Suit are amps, argument nulled. Are you seriously using hit points as a thing to debate durability? Do game mechanics not exist to you? Also dozens of fire balls is an exaggerated number, you should know from playing it hardly requires that many Fire Balls (and the hammer is even better).
Doesn't change the fact he kills you faster than you kill him- also, SMB1 Bowser is quite sturdy.
Yet Bowser would need comparable LS since he's displayed this. Also "sneak up", Mario isn't Snake, he runs past him. I should also mention those bombs are something Mario can also take without dying.
I love how you're making all these arguments and dancing around the fact that Mario cannot harm Bowser directly.
And you also neglect how the first cutscene literally displayed the two fighting for some time. Bowser is not a stonewall in canon. You'd think that if Mario can block an attack that harms Bowser would also make him scale.
Fighting for some time, but Bowser doesn't have a scratch while Mario gets his ass whooped.
No offence but the more I read, the more I doubt you. The first boss of SMRPG is literally Bowser himself, and Mario won. Did you just skip past that? If we're going by stats, Mario's attack power is only 0.8x weaker.
At this point I'm starting to realize you are just wanking. HOW did Mario win? Did he win by directly hurting Bowser? Or, maybe, I dunno, I suppose, possibly, he might have defeated Bowser through indirect means? I dunno, perhaps by virtue of, beating up the Chain Chomp holding his chandelier? Crazy stuff, right?
Despite the fact the sequels display otherwise and Baby Mario defeats Baby Bowser in PiT? Dude, come on.
It's almost like part of the point I'm trying to make is that Mario scaling is wonky and should be taken with a pinch of salt?
Skill can only take you so far, especially when you'd be ignoring everything the RPGs displayed
Yes, things such as Bowser being able to fight enemies it takes both the bros to take down, and usually requiring both of them to defeat.
unknown.png
Are you just gonna reduce yourself to mud-slinging because you're out of arguments, or do you just feel like being an ass?

I wasn't going to comment here but seeing people continuosly meontining other verses unrelated to the thread made me do it

Stop bringing Sonic/Kirby/Zelda/Dragon Ball in these threads as an argument for Mario, especially posts like "If Sonic is tier 2 why can't Mario be tier 2", this just reeks of bias (especially when most of the people saying this have or will probably FRA any downgrade threads of these verses) and makes your side look far worser and it isn't even an argument

I don't see members of these verses doing this and so shouldn't you
I've mentioned Marvel and DC to explain that having multiple ratings for series with fluctuating power levels are something we do, I do agree that making the example "verse X does this so why can't verse Y?" is usually very flawed- I just think this is an exception, and considering Ant also made the argument, I don't think I'm incorrect in saying that.

Ok? I don't see how the scaling changes this somehow. The logic behind Mario having different keys is the same as Wario and DK having different keys.
Funny how DRB agreed with that but disagrees with Mario having keys.

Doesn't change the fact he kills you faster than you kill him- also, SMB1 Bowser is quite sturdy.
So five fire balls is "dozens"? Also that's quite literally being ignorant on how Mario can still defeat Bowser in these games.

I love how you're making all these arguments and dancing around the fact that Mario cannot harm Bowser directly
So no argument on scaling, got it. Moving on then

Fighting for some time, but Bowser doesn't have a scratch while Mario gets his ass whooped.
You mind showing me where Mario has a scratch and "gets his ass whooped" other than a sneak attack that leads to a knock off? Almost like you're making up stuff.

At this point I'm starting to realize you are just wanking. HOW did Mario win? Did he win by directly hurting Bowser? Or, maybe, I dunno, I suppose, possibly, he might have defeated Bowser through indirect means? I dunno, perhaps by virtue of, beating up the Chain Chomp holding his chandelier? Crazy stuff, right?
At this I'm genuinely realizing you don't know shit about SMRPG. How did Mario defeat Bowser? By physically punching him. It's on-screen, we play it for ***** sake. How am I supposed to take your argument seriously when you don't even know what happens?

It's almost like part of the point I'm trying to make is that Mario scaling is wonky and should be taken with a pinch of salt?
It's almost as if that was completely irrelevant to the argument. Concede about Bowser supposedy being unbeatable in Party or make an actual refute. Don't strawman me.

Yes, things such as Bowser being able to fight enemies it takes both the bros to take down, and usually requiring both of them to defeat.
Armor, seriously, how are you ignoring everything? Bowser vs Fawful and Luigi vs Fawful was a 1v1. King Olly vs Bowser was a 1v1, Mario vs Bowser was a 1v1. This isn't even funny.

Are you just gonna reduce yourself to mud-slinging because you're out of arguments, or do you just feel like being an ass? Or even more depressingly, do you think you're funny?
Are you actually going to respond to the arguments or continue to strawman everything and continue to act as if you know what is going on.

Look, anyone here is gonna be able to realize that Mario's usually portrayed as weaker but nimbler and faster than Bowser, I don't need to debate with you any longer.

Look, anyone here is gonna be able to realize that Mario's usually portrayed as weaker but nimbler and faster than Bowser, I don't need to debate with you any longer.
Beats debating someone who waved all the arguments to say "much portrayal"
Also even that was true that doesn't prevent from Mario scaling tf?

I know Mario scales, the issue is that if Mario is weaker than Bowser but scales to him, and Bowser gets mega-amped, logically he couldn't hurt him anymore.

I don't know what purpose you wanted to fulfil by showing discord screenshots on a thread where it doesn't belong. It does not matter if a person is biased or not. You attack their arguments, not them. I can dig up several other worse screenshots said on discord by you, Cal, and almost everybody to attack their "real" characters or to prove that they have a bias. But doing that would not be germane. Please do not bring irrelevant discord screenshots in a CRT.

I've mentioned Marvel and DC to explain that having multiple ratings for series with fluctuating power levels are something we do, I do agree that making the example "verse X does this so why can't verse Y?" is usually very flawed- I just think this is an exception, and considering Ant also made the argument, I don't think I'm incorrect in saying that.
I wasn't talking about you and your comparassion

Ok. Don't get DRB's argument. Not at all. Not a single proper debunk, just "it doesn't make sense". Does Mario busting solar systems make sense? It equally doesn't make any sense, yet it's vs debating, that's how it works. And Low 2-C is just consistent, that's all that matters.

Also if we're still counting votes that don't have an argument, same can be said for members both for and against.

I am personally inclined to agree with Ryu's and Matt's side of arguments.
I don't want to be rude AKM since you're a nice guy,but you didn't comment on a mario thread until this time so your agreement or disagreement is kind of irrelevant only if you have a good argument

No offense but if someone just agrees with an argument, what are they supposed to do, just parrot it so their vote is counted?

You don't need a good argument to accept something as truth, nor do you need to prove it. This is a problem with this thread, everybody on Matts side who agrees gets blamed for not having a reason while people who said accepted it on Weebs side don't get called out. You call out everybody or you call out nobody, just don't give them shit for not contributing much.

You don't need a good argument to accept something as truth, nor do you need to prove it. This is a problem with this thread, everybody on Matts side who agrees gets blamed for not having a reason while people who said accepted it on Weebs side don't get called out. You call out everybody or you call out nobody, just don't give them shit for not contributing much.
No because if people have brought up mod votes before then it's fine, but if I do it oh dear I'm committing a crime!

I love how you're making all these arguments and dancing around the fact that Mario cannot harm Bowser directly.

I literally have the boss fight in smrpg up. You can harm bowser using your basic punches

Again, no. Mario is just tuckered out from dodging many projectles. He also loses because he wasn’t ready for the hat to come back and hit him.

You can harm him with your basic punches but it's not possible to defeat him this way. It's a tutorial to show you how to change targets,

unknown.png
I and likely many others here are very stressed out by the world's ongoing political upheavals, but I am at least still making an effort to not take out said stress, anger, and anxiety on others here, so we can try to keep this as a form of safe haven, and would appreciate if all other members would make an effort to do the same thing.

I mean, I have an active depression over the state of the world at large, am severely overworked trying to help this community as best as I am able for no pay, have been repeatedly severely harrassed and abused as thanks for the effort over the years, and have a mental disability that limits my social ability. If I can still usually manage to be respectful and polite, the rest of you can do so as well.

In regards to Mario's fluctuating strength:

The issue with giving keys for each subseries is that they are all connected canonically from stuff in games (Luigi's Mansion to Sunshine for example), Miyamoto (the creator), and the official encyclopedia where they repeat that all of these are the same characters.
This is not at all the point. It doesn't matter that it is the same character or not, or if Mario is going through transformations or power upset the point is that feats fluctuate so much that different keys are 100% more accurate than a single rating.

Secondly, Miyamoto's statement that you love so much is specifically about how Mario has no canon or continuity and each game can be whatever since Mario is like an actor.

On Bowser vs Mario:

Bowser is physically stronger than Mario. Everytime Mario defeats a stronger version of Bowser he eiher had help, amps or his own, or he outsmarts Bowser.

Great logic, you wanna apply that logic to quite literally every verse or is Mario the only exception you want to make? This is an argument I can use on every verse that is long running, Mario is no exception.
We do separate keys based on portrayals for several long running verses actually. We also don't allow for backward scaling from previous installments for long running series nor do we treat the "lore" as one monolith with no contradictions.

You talk about Mario as if it is a long running shounen manga with a single writer where Mario goes through training power ups, gets constantly stronger and the "lore" is consistent and important when none of this is true.

Your complaints only expose that Mario is treated with severe favoritism.
because if people have brought up mod votes before then it's fine, but if I do it oh dear I'm committing a crime!
Stop being a hypocrite. The moment you came back you try to immediately discredit everyone who disagrees with you by shit flinging at the walls while also painting yourself as a misunderstood victim. You don't have any moral high ground, in fact your argumentation tactics are as disrespectful and manipulative as they get.

That you think Mario is unfairly treated is entirely irrelevant to this conversation. What you personally feel is meaningless. What matter is that you argue, not that you desperately try to "Stop the count" the moment it seems people disagree.

Have a nice day.

Mario's power fluctuates, so why don't we just add a "varies from 4-A, to at most Low 2-C" or something? The Low 2-C feats from Galaxy are there, (and some other questionable examples too I guess, there is also Base Mario and Luigi beating Dream Bowser, but thats obviously an outlier). But this is obviously the peak of the Base Mario Bros
That could also work, although I think that "Varies. At least ... , usually 4-A, at most Low 2-C" seems preferable.

No offense but if someone just agrees with an argument, what are they supposed to do, just parrot it so their vote is counted?
Yes. It usually takes too much time to not simply read and evaluate what others said, especially if it would just be repetition.

Vehemently disagree with a varies Tier that is just there to appease Blaze. None of the Tier 2 feats he proposed are legitimate save for one outlier, and the point of a varies key isn't to pretend that 4-A is the weakest Mario is when that's a pretty big high end interpretation on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back