• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Linking to Discord images is forbidden in our wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As I mentioned some months ago, Discord images extremely easily disappear, including if an old post is deleted or the chat room it was posted in is closed down, so, for safety reasons, we need to replace all links to them in our regular wiki pages with images uploaded to the wiki itself or Imgur instead.

We also decided to officially forbid any further use of Discord images via our Editing Rules page:

And as you can see via the wiki page linked below, there are a lot of them at this point, even though most of them are from our old deactivated forum:

If experienced regular members or staff who know how to edit properly are willing to help out with the project to replace the Discord image links in our regular wiki pages, please note down your interest in the thread linked here:

Important update:

I have created a list of what I think are all of the wiki pages that need to be edited here:

Last edited:
This a fair change, as too many issues arise from Discord links. However, did we consider a punishment if it is truly forbidden?
Hop feels this is a circumstance a new user may accidentally commit, and that is concerning if we sentence a ban, or even a short suspension, to them.

PAIN

I always use discord links... alright then.....
Like this. F, btw.

However, did we consider a punishment if it is truly forbidden?

Punishment would only come about for repeat-offenders after they've been warned. For the majority of cases, just a warning should suffice.

I am nearly up to date with the template project. Did find a issue with one of them however.

I think that you likely intended to post in another thread, Krukov.

That thread is locked. Should I continue working on templates as they come or start working on these when I'm up to date.

You can just reopen the thread if you have something important to add there.

So... Some copy paste projects to go?
IMO as long as those Discord images are not used for supporting of a feat or profile construction (as CRT or whatever) that should be fine. More like people should be reminded to upload them to another source whenever they found such images from Discord.

Encouraging the insertion of links that will soon turn dead seems like a very bad idea to me. Also, the decision has already been made.

Punishment would only come about for repeat-offenders after they've been warned. For the majority of cases, just a warning should suffice.
Encouraging the insertion of links that will soon turn dead seems like a very bad idea to me. Also, the decision has already been made.
I would say a warm reminder before a warning.
Most importantly, point them towards an image website that does not go off like Discord does.

Respecting whatever decisions made so far.

Yes, I agree with the above statements, and have repeatedly told members who insert Discord images to use Imgur instead.

Okay. Is it popular enough to be stable and reliable to use in the long run?

I recommend using Gyazo yall, it's been my go to since the discord ban. Simply take a screenshot and a page on ur browser will appear with the gyazo pic, which u can then easily copy and embedd.

I recommend using Gyazo yall, it's been my go to since the discord ban. Simply take a screenshot and a page on ur browser will appear with the gyazo pic, which u can then easily copy and embedd.
Does it support multi-page galleries and videos like Imgur?

Does it support multi-page galleries and videos like Imgur?
perhaps, i've never needed to use a gallery system. As for video's there is a gif version of Gyazo, however i am unsure as to how long it is. It is a stable, long running system that is extremely easy to use, and doesn't require login.

And also, we should guide users on how to add scans to imgur anonymously

I use a second email address that doesn't show my identity, and is for non-professional stuff

Would one of our staff members here be willing to start a staff forum discussion thread regarding the Google Drive links and the Imgur how-to guide please?

You can also upload images directly to our wiki and link to them instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back