• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wiki linking to discussion threads or Discord images

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Given that Bobsican is being impatient regarding this subject, I suppose that I have to stress out a discussion thread despite that I am already overwhelmed with work.

Anyway, this is not remotely a new practice, given that I have been giving these instructions for years within the wiki, but basically, we should not allow linking to discussion threads, whether in this forum or otherwise, for justifications to statistics and powers in wiki pages, as it is a very messy and disorganised way for visitors to attempt to find the relevant information.

All information should be available in a concise and easy to understand manner in the wiki itself, either via blogs or footnotes.

I would appreciate if we can post a new rule against this practice.

Also, Discord images extremely easily disappear, including if an old post is deleted or the chat room it was posted in is closed down, so we need to replace all links to them in our wiki pages with images uploaded to the wiki itself or Imgur instead as soon as we find the time in our schedule, but for the moment we at least need to add a rule against this practice as well.

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

Last edited:
...I was genuinely unaware this was a thing, bizarre.

But yeah seems agreeable, we can likely merge the stats to come from threads, alongside respect threads restriction, as "do not link unofficial, fan discussions and proposals as proofs and sources for statistics, with the only exception to this being accepted wiki blogs", or something like that.

Yeah, for images we should only use dedicated hosting sites or the wiki itself. Relying on Discord or YouTube for anything is rather high risk.

For the forums the only time they should be linked in a page is a link to explain a edit like we do for CRTs or for the Verse sec of the profile. No one should be linking a discussion thread to explain why Superman has ice manipulation or something.

I try to add a Discordapp image to Imgur Album before using it as a linked justification to the profile. Though, uploading it as a Fandom image specifically could be even better. Though, if some scans contain words or phrases Fandom doesn't like, then it makes it harder to accept to Fandom which is why Imgur and what not is better for those.

...I was genuinely unaware this was a thing, bizarre.

But yeah seems agreeable, we can likely merge the stats to come from threads, alongside respect threads restriction, as "do not link unofficial, fan discussions and proposals as proofs and sources for statistics, with the only exception to this being accepted wiki blogs", or something like that.
That seems fine to me.
Yeah, a rule for this should exist. Weird one hasn't been made already.
Well, there are always new tasks to handle, and I have ADHD, so it has unfortunately often been hard to organise the direction of the wiki in the most beneficial direction quickly enough. The most extreme example may be that most pages currently lack reference sections.
Yeah, for images we should only use dedicated hosting sites or the wiki itself. Relying on Discord or YouTube for anything is rather high risk.

For the forums the only time they should be linked in a page is a link to explain a edit like we do for CRTs or for the Verse sec of the profile. No one should be linking a discussion thread to explain why Superman has ice manipulation or something.
YouTube is another problem, yes. It removes copyright-infringing videos regularly.

I try to add a Discordapp image to Imgur Album before using it as a linked justification to the profile. Though, uploading it as a Fandom image specifically could be even better. Though, if some scans contain words or phrases Fandom doesn't like, then it makes it harder to accept to Fandom which is why Imgur and what not is better for those.
That is a good point. We should include this information in our rule text.

Well, probably two separate rules.

First I just want to apologize, I thought that as Ant didn't reply in a good amount of time when I told him I'd help him with this there would be no issue.

Anyways, I'm still neutral and won't interfere any further.

YouTube is another problem, yes. It removes copyright-infringing videos regularly.
There's not much to do about it in that regard. Youtube is the best place for video content and it isn't really realistic to expect every user to download every youtube video and cut it themselves and upload it to another site like imgur. Sites like imgur also won't be here forever, best we can do in this regard is encourage users to save the scans they link through imgur/youtube on webarchive just in case.

First I just want to apologize, I thought that as Ant didn't reply in a good amount of time when I told him I'd help him with this there would be no issue.

Anyways, I'm still neutral and won't interfere any further.
Okay. Thank you.

There's not much to do about it in that regard. Youtube is the best place for video content and it isn't really realistic to expect every user to download every youtube video and cut it themselves and upload it to another site like imgur. Sites like imgur also won't be here forever, best we can do in this regard is encourage users to save the scans they link through imgur/youtube on webarchive just in case.
It doesn't get around the problem fully but adding in a reference saying where exactly the video is from while linking it would mean that if the video ever was taken down then it wouldn't be so hard to find the particular feat later.

Yes, and to use specific references in combination.

It doesn't get around the problem fully but adding in a reference saying where exactly the video is from while linking it would mean that if the video ever was taken down then it wouldn't be so hard to find the particular feat later.
Agreed.

Yeah, I agree with this. I've always been paranoid about not posting images on the wiki itself or on imgur.

Well, it really should be simple to just add the images to the wiki or to imgur by just saving the discord image link or whatever, and then referencing it.

Yes, but there are a lot of them at this point.

I do not know. The external links search function is much less useful in terms of filtering than the internal links search function. I have talked with Kirkburn at Fandom about this, and he said that he will try to make it more practical in this regard.

I do not know. The external links search function is much less useful in terms of filtering than the internal links search function. I have talked with Kirkburn at Fandom about this, and he said that he will try to make it more practical in this regard.
Aight. In that case I don't exactly know how much further help I can provide. Lemme know if there's any future updates afterwards.

The Fandom search function changes will likely take a long while, so our members will probably have to sift through the list to find the links from regular wiki pages.

Anyway, this is not remotely a new practice, given that I have been giving these instructions for years within the wiki, but basically, we should not allow linking to discussion threads, whether in this forum or otherwise, for justifications to statistics and powers in wiki pages, as it is a very messy and disorganized way for visitors to attempt to find the relevant information.

All information should be available in a concise and easy to understand manner in the wiki itself, either via blogs or footnotes.

Hop agrees with all this. The simpler, the better. Or rather, the easier to find, the better.

Also, Discord images extremely easily disappear, including if an old post is deleted or the chat room it was posted in is closed down, so we need to replace all links to them in our wiki pages with images uploaded to the wiki itself or Imgur instead as soon as we find the time in our schedule, but for the moment we at least need to add a rule against this practice as well.
Concerning. I've had thoughts about this as well, which is why I made a personal Discord server to hold all the images and links I use.

Is Imugur the best site to hold images to link to (and I should be thinking about making an account)? I found linking images from within Fandom to be tedious, as I've had a history of bugs when uploading images on fandom.

I agree with this... though I actually did this once for a verse, however it's been fixed.

Given that Bobsican is being impatient regarding this subject, I suppose that I have to stress out a discussion thread despite that I am already overwhelmed with work.

Anyway, this is not remotely a new practice, given that I have been giving these instructions for years within the wiki, but basically, we should not allow linking to discussion threads, whether in this forum or otherwise, for justifications to statistics and powers in wiki pages, as it is a very messy and disorganised way for visitors to attempt to find the relevant information.

NOTE: STAFF ONLY
Duly noted. I dunno who's using discussion threads as justification though, barring respect threads that follow our rules on the topic.

Concerning. I've had thoughts about this as well, which is why I made a personal Discord server to hold all the images and links I use.

Is Imugur the best site to hold images to link to (and I should be thinking about making an account)? I found linking images from within Fandom to be tedious, as I've had a history of bugs when uploading images on fandom.
As I have said earlier, there is a risk that Imgur will eventually get rid of all comic book and manga scans via artificial intelligence, due to copyright claims, or that they are taken down for other reasons, so I personally prefer wiki links. Given that Fandom has prevented direct linking to their images from other sites, it should be considerably less vulnerable.

Duly noted. I dunno who's using discussion threads as justification though, barring respect threads that follow our rules on the topic.
I have noticed it every now and then. Creating an explicit rule became a more urgent issue when StrymULTRA and Bobsican started to argue with me about me telling them to stop this practice, due to wanting to link to forum threads for the sake of expediency.

Anyway, does anybody here have suggestions for our two rules texts?

Thinking on this, it makes sense. I do hope the Discord aspect is a gradual change since quite a few verses use them currently. Regarding the latter, I'll try to start with what verses I'm familiar with when I get some time off IRL stuff and school.

Back