• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Link vs Cloud...Apparently fair....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I'll switch to inconclusive as well. Also, considering there are alot of Darks among usernames, it probably best to refer to me as Medeus to avoid confusion; DDM also works.

So what exactly is stopping Cloud from blitzing Link before he can even process what just happened?Getting some serious Link vs Sol flashbacks.

12cheeper said:
So what exactly is stopping Cloud from blitzing Link before he can even process what just happened?Getting some serious Link vs Sol flashbacks.
The speed was equalized and the general consenseus was that Link hax stomped Sol.

Can someone explain to me exactly which hax Link can use to beat Cloud? Because I still don't understand how he'll get past Cloud's dura which is some 60+ million times stronger than his strongest attacks.

Also add me to the list for Cloud votes Gargoyle.

Also people REALLY need to tell me if Cloud has resistance to time manipulation or not, that's kind of a massive difference.

Gargoyle One said:
Also people REALLY need to tell me if Cloud has resistance to time manipulation or not, that's kind of a massive difference.
Well, he can get immunity to Slow and Stop in a couple of ways: the first one is equipping the Added Effect Materia in his armor linked to a Materia that gives him those abilities. More precisely, the Time Magic Materia (immunity to Stop, Slow and Haste), the Contain Materia (immunity to Stop, Confusion and Petrify) and the Choco/Mog Summon Materia (immunity to Stop due to the summon having that effect).

Cloud also gets immunity to Slow if he has a piece of gear that grants Auto-Haste, such as the Sprint Shoes.

Finally, and the most practical protection (IMO), is the Resist Spell that puts Cloud under the Status of the same name and which protects Cloud from all status effects, Slow, Stop and Instant Death included. It can be learned with the Heal Materia, the Master Magic Materia or used with the Vaccine Item.

TartaChocolate's reasoning seems Ok to me. Since speed is equalized and both are bloodlusted (a state of mind where stats usually prevail over hax) I'm going to give my vote to Cloud

@Everyone who says "link via timestop" Cloud has timestop of his own. And Link's reasoning for resistance to timestop is fallacious.

PaChi2 said:
@Everyone who says "link via timestop" Cloud has timestop of his own. And Link's reasoning for resistance to timestop is fallacious.
No he does not, you haven't even had the CRT for that passed, many wrote that off as game mechanics

nono. Cloud has timestop, not Timestop resistance. So saying "Link timestops and wins" can be also "Cloud timestops and wins".

Even though Link has resistance.

Check Cal's blog on the matter, Link's resistance is justified.

Resistance to Time Manipulation: Link is unaffected by the effects of the Timeshift Stones being activated and deactivated.

Timeshift Stones that he himself uses......

That's saying: resistance to timestop because when he stops time, he can move.

I have to vote link He has slightly higher ap and he has better control of his hax compared to cloud. I love him to death, but I think this match is very, very close. To avoid my brain hurting, I am going to go occams razor and say Link via better ap, master sword probably can reflect clouds magic or just better control of hax in general. This is with very high diff. I would vote inconclusive, but I think link barely edges out. Thanks to the very above calc, I think I can see him winning.

EDIT: A small detail, the original post lists seven votes for Link but doesn't put the username of the seventh vote.

The key here is the Stasis Rune, then? And Cloud's possible resistances to being frozen in time are disregarded as simply being gameplay only mechanics? Though his page does mention Time Manipulation among his abilities so it does strike me a bit as odd that possible resistance to it wouldn't count given the way to obtain them is similar (Materia use and abilities granted by them).

Another question, though: Haven't played Breath of the Wild yet, so correct me if I got stuff wrong, but I did look up and was wondering about something: the Stasis Rune upgraded (base one can only freeze objects from what I got) freezes enemies for 5 seconds, but stronger foes such as bosses (which I guess Cloud would fit into) only for 1.5 and then has a 10 second cooldown before another use. Are those lapses enough to make up for the difference in power everyone is mentioning? In this regard, Cloud's defensive options (pieces of armor, defensive magic) are also gameplay only?

Nah Stasis Rune isn't the thing here, you must have only read the first few comments. I already went through your line of logic on one of my comments. It's Link's void manip via ancient arrows and sealing Cloud that makes him a contender.

We only count something as a gameplay mechanic if it isn't really "canon" as such but instead just there to make the game work. For instance, Steve from Minecraft having many inventory slots doesn't mean that he's strong enough to carry a hundred cubic meters of solid gold, it's just a gameplay mechanic.

4.3435281e+42 * 12,741,312.1869 = 5.5342248e+49 Joules. That is approaching the mid ed of Solar System level.

Assuming he was attacking for the full 6 seconds...

6 / 7.84848519e-8 = 76447873.1214

76447873.1214 * 4.3435281e+42 = 3.3205349e+50 Joules, which is still Solar System level. BARELY higher than Cloud's value of 3.108 * 10^50 Joules."

Yeah higher in my eyes

Honestly this is stupidly close but if i had to pick one i'd say Link could win via his hax advantage as well as his mildly higher AP.

I might have gotten it wrong, but doesn't the Rune work for only 1.5 seconds on stronger enemies?

HalfAsianFan said:
Nah Stasis Rune isn't the thing here, you must have only read the first few comments. I already went through your line of logic on one of my comments. It's Link's void manip via ancient arrows and sealing Cloud that makes him a contender.

We only count something as a gameplay mechanic if it isn't really "canon" as such but instead just there to make the game work. For instance, Steve from Minecraft having many inventory slots doesn't mean that he's strong enough to carry a hundred cubic meters of solid gold, it's just a gameplay mechanic.
I did read the entire topic, actually. But several points are brought up as possibilities so I kind of missed what is set and what isn't, my bad. However, would the ancient arrows work as a one hit kill on Cloud? I mean, from what I could get by looking them up is that they obliterate normal enemies but against guardians and bosses they deal a lot of damage instead (bosses in particular, if someone interprets that position because they are incredibly strong or something along those lines.) If it's so it would mean there's a limit on the power of the arrows.

What are Link sealing methods, BTW? I am not fully familiar with his newer abilities so I genuinely don't know.

Regarding mechanics, I get that criteria, but what confuses me about it is that much of the stuff that doesn't appear in story nor is alluded to does seem to be considered many times.

4.3435281e+42 * 12,741,312.1869 = 5.5342248e+49 Joules. That is approaching the mid ed of Solar System level.

Assuming he was attacking for the full 6 seconds...

6 / 7.84848519e-8 = 76447873.1214

76447873.1214 * 4.3435281e+42 = 3.3205349e+50 Joules, which is still Solar System level. BARELY higher than Cloud's value of 3.108 * 10^50 Joules."

Yeah higher in my eyes

That was debunked as Links sword would break....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back