• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Light Fang Calc Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KLOL506; I've rewatched the scene in the anime. Naruto doesn't appear to move himself after being blocked until Madara fires the beam. The differences you mention could be attributed to Naruto moving himself backwards slightly, in which case he'd be even further away, or it could just be animation error.

I think that the distance measured from the side-shot using Naruto's full height as comparison is better for the calc.
The issue is, it isn't better. Aside from not finding the distance between Naruto and the beam, but the staff and Naruto, he is using more pixelscaling steps, the one he used shouldn't be, and isn't more reliable than the scene of the feat itself.

You could've just said that you don't want FTL Naruto, it'd be better than trying to justify something wrong.

Last edited:
@KLOL506; I've rewatched the scene in the anime. Naruto doesn't appear to move himself after being blocked until Madara fires the beam. The differences you mention could be attributed to Naruto moving himself backwards slightly, in which case he'd be even further away, or it could just be animation error.
If he moved back his arms would further straighten out horizontally, which is not what happens when you use a staff in a sword-like fashion and then end up pushing each other with your blades to gain more leverage (Naruto uses a staff but the principles are the same like in any other samurai flick where two bladesmen push against each other with their blades, heck, literally look up "sword clashing" and look for examples where swordsmen inch closer to each other in a show of wrestling strength with their blades). This is not an animation error, but rather Naruto trying to force his way through Madara's Limbo to test it out, and him trying to gain more leverage would absolutely require Naruto to inch his body closer to the staff to focus that pushing power.

Last edited:
This discussion is really pointless. Using the exact scan of the feat is better than using something after or before. It's a fact. Using the scan of the exact moment of the feat excludes any kind of possibility of frontal movement (as KLOL argues) from Naruto. Not only that, but I'm using only one scan (two frames, same angle). Fewer pixelscaling steps to reach a conclusion. I don't see how my calc is less accurate then the other one besides "I don't want Naruto to be FTL".

The issue is, it isn't better. Aside from not finding the distance between Naruto and the beam, but the staff and Naruto, he is using more pixelscaling steps, the one he used shouldn't be, and isn't more reliable than the scene of the feat itself.

In another thread you said this to me:

It doesn't matter if it uses more steps in order to reach a conclusion, I'm using canon information that is established by us.

But anyway, the steps Usk use are:

1) Scale Naruto's full height to the distance between Naruto and the staff.

The steps you use are:

1) Scale Naruto's full height to Naruto's face.
2) Angsize the distance to the staff from the screen.
3) Angsize the distance to Naruto's face from the screen.
4) Find the difference between them, then use Pythagoras with a scaling of the length of the beam to Naruto's face to find the full distance.

How is Usk using more steps than you?

I could've just said that you don't want FTL Naruto, it'd be better than trying to justify something wrong.

In this case, I do think that Usk's method is better.

And Alex and I already explained why it's not.
I know. I'll go back over everything on the thread to give a final evaluation, but right now it looks like your primary argument is relying on assuming off-screen movement from Naruto to change the distance.

I know. I'll go back over everything on the thread to give a final evaluation, but right now it looks like your primary argument is relying on assuming off-screen movement from Naruto to change the distance.
What? All of it happens on-screen in the anime.

1. Naruto strikes the Limbo clone and gets blocked (Side-view)

2. Naruto thinks "He did it again" with his upper arm now more level vertically with his body like when you stand completely straight with your arms to the side (Which proves that he is trying to inch closer to Madara with his staff, this scene is also shown in a similar manner in the manga)

3. Final scene shows Naruto's arms being completely straight vertically and not in front of him horizontally right as the beam comes towards Naruto's staff.

Last edited:
In another thread you said this to me:
You can be more dishonest with every thread we argue about. Why do you think this calculation was accepted, and not mine? And don't mix things up, don't hide the context and don't be an asshole. These are two completely different situations. Dishonest.
But anyway, the steps Usk use are:

1) Scale Naruto's full height to the distance between Naruto and the staff.

The steps you use are:

2) Angsize the distance to the staff from the screen.
3) Angsize the distance to Naruto's face from the screen.
4) Find the difference between them, then use Pythagoras with a scaling of the length of the beam to Naruto's face to find the full distance.

How is Usk using more steps than you?
You know I'm talking about scans, right? I am using two different frames. In the animation, there is a model for Naruto, he is the same in all the frames that he appears, because it is his model. There is no possibility that anything in my scan will be inconsistent if the angle does not change.

I use a scan, in that same scan, everything remains consistent and does not change. It is different from different pictures, where things can change, wich usk used.

You know I'm talking about scans, right? I am using two different frames. In the animation, there is a model for Naruto, he is the same in all the frames that he appears, because it is his model. There is no possibility that anything in my scan will be inconsistent if the angle does not change.

I use a scan, in that same scan, everything remains consistent and does not change. It is different from different pictures, where things can change, wich usk used.
I agree with the sentiment here. It’s not about how many calculations he is doing per se but how many different images he is using to do so. Despite USK only showing one pixel scaling image, he is “technically” using three different “panels” for his calculation of which it is possible for the position of the character to have changed during the transition from one of those panels (Full body Madara and Naruto to Naruto partial body shot) increasing the margin of error. Additionally, he’s also using a calculation from a “Panel” where the feat occurs to a prior “panel” where the scene doesn’t occur. As I recall, more “scans” in a pixel scaling = less accurate

On the other hand, Mex is “technically” only using two panels for his calculation in which it the only change between the two is the movement being calculated.

And finally, if you actually looked at USK’s calculation, you find that he used Mex’s distance calculation meaning his steps would actually be:

1. Scale Naruto's full height to the distance between Naruto and the staff.
  2. Scale Naruto's full height to Naruto's face.
  3. Angsize the distance to the staff from the screen.
  4. Angsize the distance to Naruto's face from the screen.
  5. Find the difference between them, then use Pythagoras with a scaling of the length of the beam to Naruto's face to find the full distance.
Basically, he not only used more panels, he also technically used more calculating steps.

Last edited:
@Jvando: regarding your final point specifically, as far as I can tell, Usk isn't used steps 3, 4 and 5.

His total steps for the distance Naruto moved are:

2) Scale Naruto's face to the distance Naruto moved.

So USklaverei is using three steps to find all of the distances involved, not the five you listed - unless I'm mistaken.

@Jvando: regarding your final point specifically, as far as I can tell, Usk isn't used steps 3, 4 and 5.

His total steps for the distance Naruto moved are:

2) Scale Naruto's face to the distance Naruto moved.

So USklaverei is using three steps to find all of the distances involved, not the five you listed - unless I'm mistaken.
Except Step 2 is taken from M3X's calc which would mean USk would have to compensate and use that exact scene to calc the feat and not use the other side shot.

The whole “he took more mathematical steps” point is kinda stupid IMO. Like if I wanted to get from 1 to 5 I could do it in one step (1x5), or I could do it in 2 steps (1+2=3+2=5). Both get the correct answer in the end. So, we shouldn’t be asking who did more math/who took more steps, rather we should ask which calc requires less assumptions/variables.

To which I’d argue that M3X using one scene/two frames includes less variables than using multiple panels. Everything is self-consistent in M3X’s calc, whereas the other calc has the unknown of “did Naruto shift position in between shots”. Based on that I think it’s clear that M3X provides the more accurate calc.

Using more steps can potentially introduce more inconsistency. That doesn't automatically mean that a scaling method that uses three images is always worse to use than a scaling method that uses two images.

I don't think that Naruto did shift position in between shots, and the evidence presented on the thread hasn't convinced me that it is likely that he did.

I think that more Calc Group members should be involved preferably. I'm only stating my honest viewpoint here.

Yes but you not thinking Naruto moved is an assumption, that M3X’s calc doesn’t rely on. Thus it is inherently better.
I think it's the opposite way around, but I digress. As I said above; I think that more Calc Group members should be involved preferably. I'm only stating my honest viewpoint here.

I think it's the opposite way around, but I digress. As I said above
M3X’s calc doesn’t have to worry about whether Naruto didn’t or did move tho. His calc takes Naruto’s position directly relative to the beam, as the beam and Naruto are in the same frame.

The other calc assumes Naruto didn’t move, and proceeds from there.

M3X’s calc inherently has less variables/assumptions. It’s a longer, more mathy calc, but more math =/= incorrect. Meanwhile, less assumptions == better.

As someone who like, barely follows Naruto, from a purely mathematical pov.
I'm inclined to lean towards M3X, for a handful of reasons, some listed already, but even at a glance, one can tell that the scan where we see them from the side and the scan the feat actually happens in, has discrepancy in distances, as minor as they may be, you can tell at a glance they aren't actually the same.

Calcing it in the very same scans it happens it removes that discrepancy entirely and is probably more accurate in the end regardless.

First, comments calling others by names don't belong in any thread, much less than joke messages.

And Alex and I already explained why it's not.

I was mainly talking about the manga panel in my message.

Regardless, the anime doesn't depict Nard moving to the front after his initial hit to the limbo, but if we calculate the distance using different frame then we will get as such:

0.37776903448 from the frame that USklaverei uses.

~0.28 meters from the frame that Nard is thinking "he did it again" using the online ruler page.

And 0.17826606871 from the panel that M3X uses.

Distances that coincidentally line up with MRKest#3's arguments priorly, but this could fall into the draws so take this with a grain of salt, as all those sizes could change if we do some stuff.

So choosing would be somewhat tricky, to say the least, as we can go by the assertion that he didn't move and disregard the other frames calling them 'something something draw & animators', or we could go by the frame of the feat disregarding the stuff regarding that he didn't move.

As for me, I'm in favor of the calc that uses the fewer assumptions, regardless of which one might be, since I'm neutral about what I said above.

Nonetheless, the scan of the feat should be the primary used before the others if the series itself doesn't contradict it.

First, comments calling others by names don't belong in any thread, much less than joke messages.

I was mainly talking about the manga panel in my message.

Regardless, the anime doesn't depict Nard moving to the front after his initial hit to the limbo, but if we calculate the distance using different frame then we will get as such:

~0.28 meters from the frame that Nard is thinking "he did it again" using the online ruler page.

Distances that coincidentally line up with MRKest#3's arguments priorly, but this could fall into the draws so take this with a grain of salt, as all those sizes could change if we do some stuff.

So choosing would be somewhat tricky, to say the least, as we can go by the assertion that he didn't move and disregard the other frames calling them 'something something draw & animators', or we could go by the frame of the feat disregarding the stuff regarding that he didn't move.

As for me, I'm in favor of the calc that uses the fewer assumptions, regardless of which one might be, since I'm neutral about what I said above.

Nonetheless, the scan of the feat should be the primary used before the others if the series itself doesn't contradict it.
Would you mind calc'ing your own version then? It would solve most of our confusions then.

Would you mind calc'ing your own version then? It would solve most of our confusions then.
That wouldn't solve anything since there is no confusion to solve, just people supporting one thing over the other based on their own interpretations based off what the anime shows.

If I calc it using M3X's frame some people will come saying xyz, and if I use USklaverei's frame others will come saying zyx.

Last edited:
Just as M3X’s calc uses
I'm aware, I was the one who told him to use Pythagoras and did the px scaling of that scan.

Are there any new arguments to be made?
We should just make a summary for now with the important messages as you did before and wait for the cgm, since we won't reach a conclusion without them check the calcs and thread, if USklaverei wishes to add something more then he is free to do so since one of the calc is his.

@SupremeMRK

You should tag them again, since for whatever reason the previous one did not work properly.

Last edited:

I agree with the sentiment here. It’s not about how many calculations he is doing per se but how many different images he is using to do so. Despite USK only showing one pixel scaling image, he is “technically” using three different “panels” for his calculation of which it is possible for the position of the character to have changed during the transition from one of those panels (Full body Madara and Naruto to Naruto partial body shot) increasing the margin of error. Additionally, he’s also using a calculation from a “Panel” where the feat occurs to a prior “panel” where the scene doesn’t occur. As I recall, more “scans” in a pixel scaling = less accurate

On the other hand, Mex is “technically” only using two panels for his calculation in which it the only change between the two is the movement being calculated.

And finally, if you actually looked at USK’s calculation, you find that he used Mex’s distance calculation meaning his steps would actually be:

1. Scale Naruto's full height to the distance between Naruto and the staff.
  2. Scale Naruto's full height to Naruto's face.
  3. Angsize the distance to the staff from the screen.
  4. Angsize the distance to Naruto's face from the screen.
  5. Find the difference between them, then use Pythagoras with a scaling of the length of the beam to Naruto's face to find the full distance.
Basically, he not only used more panels, he also technically used more calculating steps.
The whole “he took more mathematical steps” point is kinda stupid IMO. Like if I wanted to get from 1 to 5 I could do it in one step (1x5), or I could do it in 2 steps (1+2=3+2=5). Both get the correct answer in the end. So, we shouldn’t be asking who did more math/who took more steps, rather we should ask which calc requires less assumptions/variables.

To which I’d argue that M3X using one scene/two frames includes less variables than using multiple panels. Everything is self-consistent in M3X’s calc, whereas the other calc has the unknown of “did Naruto shift position in between shots”. Based on that I think it’s clear that M3X provides the more accurate calc.
Using more steps can potentially introduce more inconsistency. That doesn't automatically mean that a scaling method that uses three images is always worse to use than a scaling method that uses two images.

I don't think that Naruto did shift position in between shots, and the evidence presented on the thread hasn't convinced me that it is likely that he did.

I think that more Calc Group members should be involved preferably. I'm only stating my honest viewpoint here.

As someone who like, barely follows Naruto, from a purely mathematical pov.
I'm inclined to lean towards M3X, for a handful of reasons, some listed already, but even at a glance, one can tell that the scan where we see them from the side and the scan the feat actually happens in, has discrepancy in distances, as minor as they may be, you can tell at a glance they aren't actually the same.

Calcing it in the very same scans it happens it removes that discrepancy entirely and is probably more accurate in the end regardless.

Okay... Now that I have taken my time to read through the thread and look at both calculations...

I find myself thinking M3X's calc is better for the reasons elaborated above. Lesser scans to use is usually better as noted in the Calc Stacking page, and it's happening in the same instance as the dodge.

I'll be here tuning in just in case new arguments are brought up that could potentially change my mind.

Need to edit New Era Naruto's profile and Hagomoro's, but they are closed. Toneri kept up with BSM thus I'm not editing his profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back