• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Licensing vs. Canon

Catalyst75

The longest serving member
How many instances are there where the site makes distinctions between the official canon of a story and the Licensing side of a franchise, and how does that affect character profiles? For instance, when it comes to franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars, you have what is the primary canon (the TV Shows and/or movies), and you have the Licensing side as its own universe. This is the distinction between the Star Trek TV shows and movies, and all the novels and other licensing media that came along with it.

I bring up Star Wars here as well because from the words of George Lucas himself, in Starlog August 2005 #337: “I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.”

While we have those two above examples, what of series like Doctor Who, where some of the more crazy powers and shenanigans that occur in the series come not from the official TV show itself, but from spin-off/Licensing material like novels, radio shows, etc? The stuff from the different Licensing mediums that, while it exists, isn't ever referenced within the TV show itself.

Let us take Dragon Ball, for instance. Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Xeno do exist, and the latter does bring in elements from Dragon Ball Super (while the latter fell out of continuity), but Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a different continuity, not connected to the main continuity that is continued by Dragon Ball Super. The Dragon Ball Super the manga and anime don't reference anything that happens in Xenoverse.

I bring this up because I feel it is an important distinction to make.

For star wars is divided on 2 versions
Disney cannon and the legends cannon (with all the VOL. Etc.)

For dragon ball thei are their own cannon, think of it like diferent timelines

As for cannon stuff, as long as the things added are by a reliable source (author, lore master, developer etc.) And if it does not contradict what has already been establish it can be used

At least that's my opinion of how is treated

For star wars is divided on 2 versions
Disney cannon and the legends cannon (with all the VOL. Etc.)
The quote I shared above shows this was the case even before the Disney version existed. This is proven by the fact that The Clone Wars, when it was introduced, often overturned and superseded many elements of pre-Clone Wars novels, video games, etc, just as the Prequels did before it for things like Boba Fett's back-story, what the EU had already said about the Clone Wars and how it transpired.

Which is more my point. George Lucas saw the Star Wars canon as the films and the Clone Wars TV series. Everything else was treated like Star Trek's own EU; unless anything from there is brought into the official canon, it is entirely separate from the official canon.

How many instances are there where the site makes distinctions between the official canon of a story and the Licensing side of a franchise, and how does that affect character profiles? For instance, when it comes to franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars, you have what is the primary canon (the TV Shows and/or movies), and you have the Licensing side as its own universe. This is the distinction between the Star Trek TV shows and movies, and all the novels and other licensing media that came along with it.

I bring up Star Wars here as well because from the words of George Lucas himself, in Starlog August 2005 #337: “I don’t read that stuff. I haven’t read any of the novels. I don’t know anything about that world. That’s a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.”

While we have those two above examples, what of series like Doctor Who, where some of the more crazy powers and shenanigans that occur in the series come not from the official TV show itself, but from spin-off/Licensing material like novels, radio shows, etc? The stuff from the different Licensing mediums that, while it exists, isn't ever referenced within the TV show itself.

Let us take Dragon Ball, for instance. Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Xeno do exist, and the latter does bring in elements from Dragon Ball Super (while the latter fell out of continuity), but Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a different continuity, not connected to the main continuity that is continued by Dragon Ball Super. The Dragon Ball Super the manga and anime don't reference anything that happens in Xenoverse.

I bring this up because I feel it is an important distinction to make.
You just cherrypicked that one specific quote from Lucas people like to cherrypick and did no more research beyond it. No offense. There are more statements from Lucas out there besides that one. In my research I've found that Lucas's opinion and statements on the Expanded Universe are quite chaotic and inconsistent. He says one thing in one interview and then contradicts himself in the next interview. I did a much more thoroughly researched video on this topic here.

Last edited:
ThreadNecro.jpg

Back