• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's Talk About Legends of Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, so I wanted to talk about The Legends of Magic. The current thread on the comics doesn't seem to be going so well, so I wanted to get this off my chest.

This comic book series is described as tying into Season 7, and this is very heavily supported by the comic and the cartoon. In an inteview Bobby confirms that the Legends of Magic series is more closely involved with Season 7 than most comics, and there's mention of a tweet by James Asmus that they tie into Season 7. This heavily implies that the tagline is way more official than people think. This stuff was officially discussed at Hasbro studios. It's not some "unofficial tagline" pulled out of nowhere.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/01/interview-mlp-comic-editor-bobby-curnow.html Link to inteview.

For what it's worth, I have chatted with Darkanine recently, and he's perfectly fine with making Legends of Magic canon. This set of comics is supposed to build up the backstory for all of Season 7 and you can see the proof of this throughout the Legends of Magic comics and Season. With Season 7 taking several ideas from Legends of Magic comics that came long before the episodes aired.

It might be a good idea to link the specific statements, and if it's just those comics, then maybe.

As I mentioned earlier, the main problem is that the comicbooks are supposedly all tied together into a whole, not several separate comtinuities, and since there are some massive contradictions between them and the TV series, it drags the other stories into the same mess, and it would be too complicated, and set a bad precedent for other verses, to try to untangle them from each other.

This set of comics is supposed to tie into Season 7. It's not even part of the main Comic continuity. I mean, yeah, the comics did make an arc based on that, but that doesn't mean Legends of Magic is part of the comic continuity. Just like the show, it is seperate from the mainstream comics. The mainstream comics aren't canon to Legends of Magic.

Okay, maybe you have a point, but it seems risky/potentially unreliable to me.

I think we should have a definite confirmation of the canonicality, not any kind of confirmation with a bit of uncertainness. The events and facts in Legends of Magic should also not contradict those in the TV series.

We're talking about the backstory for an entire season here. Rockhoof himself literally wouldn't have a backstory if it weren't for Legends of Magic. We have plenty of strong evidence already. The canocity is show not told.

If DarkAnine thinks those parts are canon, than I'm fine with that. But I'd also like some proof that those parts are indeed separate from every other comic.

Aside from tying into and working very closely Season 7? The mainstream comics follow their own interconnected storyline that they occasionally use the show as a reference point for. This is supposed to function as a backstory for Season 7. By definition, it's already following a completely different and unrelated storyline from the mainstream comics because it's storyline is intended for Season 7, not the comics. The intent is to influence the show, not the main comic series.

Just to clarify, you only want to use "Legends of Magic", and nothing else, correct? This might be workable, as long as we write a rule that only this is allowed, and nothing else from the comics whatsoever.

The last part regarding the Legends of Magic series itself is probably mostly fine as an addition to our current existing rule. The rest is definitely not. Sorry.

Something like this perhaps?

"The My Little Pony comicbooks are not considered to automatically be a part of the TV show's canon continuity. Here is a statement by IDW editor Bobby Curnow regarding that the comics are not canon to the TV show. And here is another statement from the TV show co-director Jim Miller that he has not read the comics yet, and after doing a bit of reading he stated that the comics and the show are separate. The two mediums also constantly contradict each other to great degrees, including for King Sombra and The Dazzlings, which makes them impossible to reconcile as part of the exact same continuity. It would be very against our standard conventions, regardless of comments from the TV show's creators. However, if events involving actual characters from a story or arc in the comics are directly referenced as having happened in the show, then that particular part is clearly canon. As such, the "Legends of Magic" comic series is considered canon to the cartoon due to the show referencing events that occured in the series months before they aired on the cartoon itself, which fulfills this rule."

Well, I am not inflexible regarding where to place the note. I just don't want the original rule to be contradicted.

I think adding that last bit to the discussion rule is perfectly fine. But what about my note I wanted to add to the My Little Pony page?

Notes

The MLP comicbooks are mostly not considered to be a part of the TV show's canon continuity.

Statement by IDW editor Bobby Curnow.

Statement from Jim Miller that he has not read the comics, yet.

Statement by Jim Miller after doing a bit of reading that the comics and the show are separate.

However, if events involving actual characters from a storyarc in the comics are directly referenced as having happened within the TV show, then that particular part is clearly canon.

The Legends of Magic comic series is considered canon to the cartoon for being said to tie into the 7th Seaso of the show. In addition to that, the show consistently references events that occured in the Legends of Magic series months before they aired in the cartoon itself, even taking entire backstories for characters such as Rockhoof from events in the comics or how Sunburst found Starswirl's journal, which fullfills the above rule.

I made some minor adjustments to the wording. It seems fine to apply now.

Antvasima said:
I made some minor adjustments to the wprding. It seems fine to apply now.
I've applied it. Only thing left to do is editing the actual discussion rule and then we can close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back