• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Legend of Zelda: Assorted Speed Buffs and Nerfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePerpetual

VS Battles
Retired
I've two main points of concern regarding our current Legend of Zelda speed listings.

1. Onox's lightning-speed feat

Namely, I do not believe that this is a sustained speed feat, and should thus apply only to Onox and above's combat/reaction speeds.

Yes, I understand that the cinematic took a decent bit to finish: however, within the context of what occurred, Onox bolted down from the heavens, kidnapped the Oracle of Seasons, and bolted away: there's no reason to assume that Onox could sustain this speed for an extended period of time, given its demonstration occurred during such a short timeframe. I would propose nerfing the travel speeds of everyone scaled to Onox back down to Supersonic+, unless there's another travel feat I've looked over.

The only (possible) exception to this rule, I would think, would be Epona. She has consistently been far faster than any incarnation of Link; fast enough, even, to outpace or keep up with many of his high-tier opponent's attacks. The battle with Ganondorf at the end of Twilight Princess comes to mind...

2. Calamity Ganon's Blood Moon feat

I do not see why we do not consider this a valid speed feat, as well as a valid power feat. Ganondorf's telekinesis should be no slower than any of his other magical attacks, all of which Link and the like can react to at very close range, and so the speed at which the Moon was moved (~Mach 12270, or Sub-Relativistic, at least by my calculations) ought to apply to both Calamity Ganon and anyone comparable or superior ought to scale.

"But it must be 1.8 minutes of in-game time, if it takes 1.8 seconds of real time!!"

I don't understand how you could apply that here. I would understand, yeah, if this was performed over an extended period of time, as in that case the accelerated day/night cycle would make itself evident within the game's world. However, when we're dealing with quite literally less that two seconds of time? That's "combat time," I'd call it, an immediate effect that is supposed to involve the player with what is happening then and there in the game's reality. Combat in general is a good example of this.

Think about that for a second. If we were to apply this rule to every game with a day/night cycle, and such a game existed in which a bullet took about a quarter of a second to go anywhere, we would be asserting that it took a quarter of an hour to travel from your barrel to the guy's face. This sort of thing is clearly not meant to simulate the flow of real time in short instances like these, but to immerse the player in the world as a whole (when its not also an important gameplay mechanic)

TL,DR: It doesn't really make sense to equate 2-ish seconds of time in the game with 2 minutes of Link slowing drifting through the game world like the air is molasses.

Anyone else, thoughts, objections?

ThePerpetual said:
Think about that for a second. If we were to apply this rule to every game with a day/night cycle, and such a game existed in which a bullet took about a quarter of a second to go anywhere, we would be asserting that it took a quarter of an hour to travel from your barrel to the guy's face. This sort of thing is clearly not meant to simulate the flow of real time in short instances like these, but to immerse the player in the world as a whole (when its not also an important gameplay mechanic)

TL,DR: It doesn't really make sense to equate 2-ish seconds of time in the game with 2 minutes of Link slowing drifting through the game world like the air is molasses.
This only applies to the day-night cycle itself, since that is what explicitly does not follow real time. 2 seconds of day-night cycle being 2 minutes does not mean 2 seconds of combat equals 2 minutes.

For instance, in Majora's Mask, slowing down time only slows down the day-night cycle. Everything else is unchanged, since the only thing in the game not presented in real time is said cycle.

Everything else seems fine, though.

@Azathoth

I feel it has to be brought up, since I often see people try to argue that all events within the game's world get the skewed time-flow applied to them, regardless of context. I mean, it would be pretty dumb if the time slow in Majora's Mask made the entire game easy mode, all the dialogue of the characters slower... a lot of what's presented the way it is in times like these is mainly for gameplay mechanics.

So, I was planning on talking about speed anyway, so I guess this is a good time.

• Demise (and Link), the one more powerful than every Ganon, is literally froze compared to lightning (not to mention lightning plays a pivotal role in this fight)
  • OoT Ganon and Link fight at slower than lightning speed throughout this entire fight, yet Link's speed still far outpaces Ganon's own
  • Thunderblight Ganon, the fastest Ganon incarnation ever (being nigh-FTE to base Link), is also completely froze compared to his lightning
  • Speaking on BotW, Link is frequently threatened by natural lightning in this game. It is completely undodgeable, even with speed enhancements, and will outright kill you at lower levels. Link's best speed feat in BotW is Mach 1.76, yet this is enough to blitz Calamity Ganon (the strongest Ganon to ever appear)
  • In the same game, Link is completely froze compared to Onox's electricity and must aim-dodge it
As for your main post, Calamity Ganon does not use any TK on Link. It wouldn't scale.

>Using background lightning to justify being slower than lightning.

Aaaaay.

We don't do stuff like that over here.

LordXcano said:
So, I was planning on talking about speed anyway, so I guess this is a good time.
  • Demise (and Link), the one more powerful than every Ganon, is literally froze compared to lightning (not to mention lightning plays a pivotal role in this fight)
  • OoT Ganon and Link fight at slower than lightning speed throughout this entire fight, yet Link's speed still far outpaces Ganon's own
  • Thunderblight Ganon, the fastest Ganon incarnation ever (being nigh-FTE to base Link), is also completely froze compared to his lightning
  • Speaking on BotW, Link is frequently threatened by natural lightning in this game. It is completely undodgeable, even with speed enhancements, and will outright kill you at lower levels. Link's best speed feat in BotW is Mach 1.76, yet this is enough to blitz Calamity Ganon (the strongest Ganon to ever appear)
  • In the same game, Link is completely froze compared to Onox's electricity and must aim-dodge it
As for your main post, Calamity Ganon does not use any TK on Link. It wouldn't scale.
I don't see any proof for anything said here..

@Matt

Only 2 of my points use background lightning, which still leaves 5 instances of Link and Ganon being blatantly sub-MHS+ even when trying.

@Doc

I'm arguing the MHS+ thing is an outlier.

If you scrutinize literally any fiction you can find instances where characters are slower, doesn't mean their higher feats are fake.

Thor may have over 10 MFTL+ feats, but he has thousands upon thousands of instances where he isn't portrayed as such, but that doesn't disprove the feats.

Gold Saints are stated repeatdly to only be Lightspeed / Base FTL, that doesn't make their MFTL+ feats wrong.

Jedi never showcase their EU speed-feats in the movies, but that doesn't disprove them.

Your examples don't prove that the MHS+ feat is false.

@Matt

This isn't me going "Well in this game he didn't move faster than lightning so there", this is me saying "Explicitly faster/more powerful characters are shown on-screen to be much slower than lightning and are repeatedly tagged by it"

That doesn't disprove the MHS+ feat, and is also not really an argument. You can find the same thing for all the examples I brought up if you're trying and that also doesn't mean thing.

A Titan fired a sub-light attack in Episode G and that was treated as a big deal. and unsaled Cronus moving at FTL speeds was also thought up as impressive. That doesn't disprove feats from Bronze Saints.

The Saints also have many numerous FTL feats to back up their ratings.

In this case it is 1 instance of an MHS+ feat which is contradicted in the same scene and then later on in the same game, with numerous examples of lightning being something that nobody (Not even one of the few speedster monsters in the series) can dodge.

The Onox MHS+ rating is probably not that much of an outlier if i think about all the bosses who uses lightning and the speeds of the Three Giants, Twinrova flying in Ocarina of Time, Majora Mask and Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Ganondorf (Who in Wind Waker he likely travelled from the Forsaken Fortress to his tower in a short time. [Twilight Princess Burning Head Ganondorf and Calamity Ganon Soul are pretty fast]) and lastly there are Argorok and Breath of the Wild Dragons, who all flies at notable speeds.

@Dark

That's quite a bit, IIRC the Giants were calc'd at some Mach 55 or something. Can you get links to the other calcs? I'll concede if they're near Onox's level.

Could you link the time for the MM Twinrova one? I'm guessing "Oracle" is just Onox's feat. Link the time with the second Twinrova thing as well, as far as I can tell the only thing they do is resurrect Ganon and die.

Argorok is pretty short, so I was able to watch that. I'm not sure what feat I'm looking for though. He just flies in a circle around the arena. And while, yes, it is "background lightning" it does still appear and it is still instant compared to him.

Cyclos and Zephos don't seem to travel across the sea in any significant timeframe. Going by the link you gave me though it seems neither move much faster than Link's own boat.

Lanayru's article just says that he can control lightning, but that doesn't imply he is as fast as it in any way. Does he have any feats of reacting to it/travelling as fast as his attacks?

With the "other dragons" thing I assume I'm looking for Farosh, since he's the thunder dragon. Farosh suffers the same problem as Lanayru, in that he doesn't actually do anything. He's a "lightning spirit", sure, but he doesn't even use real lightning as an attack, just electricity balls that move slower than your arrows.

I'm curious about Ganondorf's offscreen travel.

LordXcano said:
First 3 are background decorations. If we're taking those seriously then Ssj goku in the namek saga would be slower then lightning as shown when he flys away after defeating Frieza in the Rof trunks special.

Gameplay mechanics. Link also is capable of dodging lasers in botw so I guess we should upgrade him to light speed reactions based on that. Of course not just like the lightning it's not applicable to his actual stats presented via lore, dialogue, and cut scenes.

Ganon in oot nearly blitzed link at the beginning of the fight lol. Thunderblight isn't the fastest. Do you have him being shown to be faster then the lightning in cut scene?

They come from the sky like real lightning. What suggests they're not actually lightning speed other then little inconsistent things?

Magical enhanced electricity it's speed is unknown.

First one isn't a background decoration, you use it as part of the fight. The lasers in BotW aren't real lasers, just energy beams. The point of my calc was to show their speed (120 m/s).

Thunderblight is the only Ganon to have moved FTE to Link, hence why I think he's the fastest, and he doesn't dodge the lightning (which was my point).

As for Onox? Nothing really. I was just pointing out the feat on it's own isn't 100% reliable. As for your second point, I don't think we can switch between "Onox's electricity is real and moves at real speed" to "It's magic so it has unknown speed" like that.

You also launch said lightning which can be easily dodged. So that's an inconsistency.

Magetta never moved FTE. He's slower than Kid Goku. Boom.

Game mechanics are game mechanics. Onox is a final boss. Having an undodgeable attack is likely.

No offense Xcano, but I'm kinda tired of you constantly making calcs to try to downgrade verses. I'll forever be thankful for the planet stopping calc, but that's one to many.

LordXcano said:
First one isn't a background decoration, you use it as part of the fight. The lasers in BotW aren't real lasers, just energy beams. The point of my calc was to show their speed (120 m/s).

Thunderblight is the only Ganon to have moved FTE to Link, hence why I think he's the fastest, and he doesn't dodge the lightning (which was my point).

As for Onox? Nothing really. I was just pointing out the feat on it's own isn't 100% reliable. As for your second point, I don't think we can switch between "Onox's electricity is real and moves at real speed" to "It's magic so it has unknown speed" like that.
First one they also outpace the lightning when it's redirected through their swords. Do you have any proof they're not actual lasers? Because it comes from a techonological source, is straight, and emits light. Why shouldn't they be treated as lasers?

Nah, it's just apart of his boss battle. Even then oot link>botw link tbh. My dude that is game play mechanics. Even then it's not legit to use it for ganon when it's a mere fragment of his power.

The link you showed had link dodging some tornado's. I didn't see him dodging the electricity.

@Iron

You know... Beamos can do that too. And SS Link can just parry the "laser" with his shield... A flipping wooden shield...

LephyrTheRevanchist said:
@Iron

You know... Beamos can do that too. And SS Link can just parry the "laser" with his shield... A flipping wooden shield...
You can go into the boss fight with any shield so null point. Are you just going to ignore the other laser like properties of it?

The most important one, reflection, is ignored. You wanna know the funny thing? I do support relativistic Zelda. Hell, in Ocarina, Majora and Link's Awakening, the Beamos' beam can only be blocked with the mirror shield.

The most important one, reflection, is ignored. You wanna know the funny thing? I do support relativistic Zelda. Hell, in Ocarina, Majora and Link's Awakening, the Beamos' beam can only be blocked with the mirror shield.
So you got 1 point and I got 3 GG

A technological source; could just be electricity (Beamos from SS), or even plasma

Emits light; Plasma can, too.

Straight; A beam of plasma.

If it doesn't reflect like it should, chances are is not a laser.

@Cal

You launch the wave of lightning as a beam of energy that acts nothing like real lightning. In fact what Link is shooting isn't even lightning. He's using the lightning, which is empowered by the Goddess, to charge the beam attack that's used in every other game.

Comparing my point about to DBZ, this would be more like if Goku fought several people he could easily keep up with and then 1 character who moved FTE to him. Which of these people is the fastest? In this case, it's Link keeping up with every single form of Ganon except this one.

@Iron

See above thing. Redirected lightning is nothing like real lightning, it comes out as a wave. As for the Guardians, we know it isn't a laser for several reasons. First being that they use an actual laser just before the attack, and it's much faster than the beam. The beam is straight, yes, but it isn't continuous. It comes out in bursts like a plasma shot. Plus, when you redirect it, it bulges.

How is a character moving FTE "game mechanics"? I suppose any other feat done in-gameplay is also just "game mechanics"? Because if so, Raiden is in for a pretty massive downgrade.

Tornadoes aren't MHS+.

A technological source; could just be electricity (Beamos from SS), or even plasma

Emits light; Plasma can, too.

Straight; A beam of plasma.

If it doesn't reflect like it should, chances are is not a laser.
Ok where is this even going lol

@Iron

Just pointing out how that Link is not lightspeed based on your proposal. Those beams from BOTW doesn't have the most important atribute of a laser; capable of being reflected. There other atributes can be explained by another sustance, that being plasma, and even Xcano's description of them fits.

If there is a Link that's close to being lightspeed, is Ocarina, ALttP and Twilight Princess, and even there cases are iffy imo.

LordXcano said:
@Cal

You launch the wave of lightning as a beam of energy that acts nothing like real lightning. In fact what Link is shooting isn't even lightning. He's using the lightning, which is empowered by the Goddess, to charge the beam attack that's used in every other game.

Comparing my point about to DBZ, this would be more like if Goku fought several people he could easily keep up with and then 1 character who moved FTE to him. Which of these people is the fastest? In this case, it's Link keeping up with every single form of Ganon except this one.

@Iron

See above thing. Redirected lightning is nothing like real lightning, it comes out as a wave. As for the Guardians, we know it isn't a laser for several reasons. First being that they use an actual laser just before the attack, and it's much faster than the beam. The beam is straight, yes, but it isn't continuous. It comes out in bursts like a plasma shot. Plus, when you redirect it, it bulges.

How is a character moving FTE "game mechanics"? I suppose any other feat done in-gameplay is also just "game mechanics"? Because if so, Raiden is in for a pretty massive downgrade.

Tornadoes aren't MHS+.
I never mentioned redirecting lightning tho. Ganons laser =/= the guardians lasers Ganons shows actual properties of lasers. Btw I'm not argueing for ftl zelda just against you using lightning in game as a way to disprove mhs+ zelda characters.

What I'm saying is that you can't use a boss fight to scale characters from. That boss is also only faced in mid game. It should be noted that the link that ganon blitzed had the sages power within him confirmed by hyrule historia. While the ganon that link couldn't see had no real amps or anything to imply that he's on oot links level.

I know. There is no lightning used in the video.

@Lephyr

BotW lasers can be reflected, just that they can be reflected by anything. I don't think they're plasma though, plasma doesn't really explode when it touches something. It's likely just a generic magic blast.

LordXcano said:
@Lephyr

BotW lasers can be reflected, just that they can be reflected by anything. I don't think they're plasma though, plasma doesn't really explode when it touches something. It's likely just a generic magic blast.
They can't be as the Guardians don't use magic. The developers don't think of this stuff when they design the games and thus should be treated as Nintendo logic.

So, what is the conclusion here? I am personally leaning towards accepting the higher speed feats, despite the existence of contradictions, as that is our usual praxis.

We would still need a calculation. I do not think that dodging light fired from a distance amounts to FTL.

Oh, I'm aware. FTL comes from Zant blasting Lanayru, who is sentient light, with darkness before it could react.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back