• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Introduction of Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I was working on revising an old page of mine, I found myself not knowing what ability "mana recovery" (with an MP bottle or a different spell) would fall under. Asking around, no one seemed to know either, with the best assumption being statistics amplification, which didn't seem quite right. Since this is a very common ability, I felt like it should be properly recognized as such.

Thus I took the Reconstruction page and turned it into Restoration, including the replenishment of energies, such as mana, as well as separated it into clear types. Everything else stayed the same as before.

It would under reconstruction, I think making a redirect for the page with "restoration" would be good.

Or maybe add 'reconstruction or restoration is the ability-" in the page's summary.

It would under reconstruction, I think making a redirect for the page with "restoration" would be good.

Or maybe add 'reconstruction or restoration is the ability-" in the page's summary.
A redirect link from "Restoration" to "Reconstruction" might be a good idea, but I do not think that we need to change the definition of the ability in question.

A redirect link from "Restoration" to "Reconstruction" might be a good idea, but I do not think that we need to change the definition of the ability in question.
Restoration is a much better term because it encompasses reconstruction, non-physical/material things like the restoration of health and energy, temporal alterations, and etc. You wouldn't "reconstruct" your health, for example.

This is also the more common term seen in media, by far.

The suggested page adds types and elaborates more on the ability.

So overall I'd be in favor of this change.

Restoration is a much better term because it encompasses reconstruction, non-physical/material things like the restoration of health and energy, temporal alterations, and etc. You wouldn't "reconstruct" your health, for example.

As of right now I only added the restoration of energy, but it could absolutely be expanded to include things like restoring objects to a prior point in time, rather than exclusively using it to fix things

May I ask what you would index the restoration of, for example, MP, using a spell, as?

Well, I suppose that this seems reasonable.

I know this is a staff discussion but, it isn't that controversial so please i want to do one comment to point out

Psycho-Physical Restoration​

This is just current Reconstruction

Temporal Restoration​

This is just an application of time manipulation. So character who can rewind time to restore something is already have time manipulation, sometime this kind of restoration also extent to causality manipulation, which we can using those abilities to index, now suddenly we need to also list Temporal Restoration on profile seem extremely redundant, unnecessary, and waste of effort

Energy Restoration​

This is Healing but with energy or possibly stamina instead. We can extent Healing page into covering heal/recover enegy and stamina

Overall i disagree

Last edited:
I know this is a staff discussion but, it isn't that controversial so please i want to do one comment to point out

Temporal Restoration​

This is just an application of time manipulation. So character who can rewind time to restore something is already have time manipulation, sometime this kind of restoration also extent to causality manipulation, which we can using those abilities to index, now suddenly we need to also list Temporal Restoration on profile seem extremely redundant, unnecessary, and waste of effort

Energy Restoration​

This is Healing but with energy or possibly stamina instead. We can extent Healing page into covering heal/recover enegy and stamina

Overall i disagree
This makes sense to me, and I retroactively allow that post since it was very productive.

That's not quite right, but yes, that's more or less supposed to be the point

Temporal Restoration​

To quote our current reconstruction page:

"The user could also be restoring the object to a previous state in time"

So this is by no means something I came up with. It's already on the page. If you have an issue with that, make a separate staff thread to get it removed, I suppose. However, I feel like it's important to mention that reconstruction is seldom a unique ability. It even says so on the page, stating that it may be magic or matter manipulation. So saying that time manipulation somehow doesn't fit, while those do, seems odd, to say the least. At that point, we might as well remove the power altogether.

Energy Restoration​

I had this debate on Discord as well and strongly disagree with this notion. It's not a disease, not a pathological condition, not a violation of life, and not a disturbed vital process. Regaining mana or stamina doesn't inherently make one healthier than someone who is exhausted. Especially when we tend to equate health with "no damage" in this context. To index the replenishment of stamina as healing only makes sense if the restoration was healing muscle tears or something of the sort. Assuming healing is equal to the replenishment of a supernatural energy source seems even weirder. While some verses treat a loss of mana as life-threatening, it oftentimes just means you can't use magic for the time being.
I can't think of a single verse that "heals" mana fatigue, as there is no damage in the first place, it's always restored or regenerated.
TL;DR calling it healing is misleading and doesn't fit the description unless it's specifically about accelerating the natural process of restoring stamina/mana/etc.

This makes sense to me, and I retroactively allow that post since it was very productive.

Thanks for restoring the comment. Saved me the trouble of asking someone to do it.

That's not quite right, but yes, that's more or less supposed to be the point
hmm, yes
So saying that time manipulation somehow doesn't fit, while those do, seems odd, to say the least. At that point, we might as well remove the power altogether
i mean, i didn't say it doesn't fit, but kinda redundant to add temporal restoration because it already under an application of time manip, or other similar powers. But well if it already on the page then it fine
I had this debate on Discord as well and strongly disagree with this notion. It's not a disease, not a pathological condition, not a violation of life, and not a disturbed vital process. Regaining mana or stamina doesn't inherently make one healthier than someone who is exhausted. Especially when we tend to equate health with "no damage" in this context. To index the replenishment of stamina as healing only makes sense if the restoration was healing muscle tears or something of the sort. Assuming healing is equal to the replenishment of a supernatural energy source seems even weirder. While some verses treat a loss of mana as life-threatening, it oftentimes just means you can't use magic for the time being.
I can't think of a single verse that "heals" mana fatigue, as there is no damage in the first place, it's always restored or regenerated.
TL;DR calling it healing is misleading and doesn't fit the description unless it's specifically about accelerating the natural process of restoring stamina/mana/etc.
alright then, fair enough

Anyway, i think it fine to rename the page into Restoration and add Energy Restoration

This seems a bit too broad? Reconstruction as an ability to explain mana recovery is vastly difficult than using it to explain an object reconstituting itself.

I'd rather list mana restoration and such under a different subset. Preferably healing.

I'm of the band of changing reconstruction to restoration myself. I say that because MP Restoration isn't necessarily healing. What I mean is characters can be fully healthy and have run out of mana, like in most RPGs for example. Heck, you can pop in a copy of some Dragon Quest game right now and use Mana Burst (which wipes away your MP) to see for yourself how MP is completely unrelated to health or stamina in a good chunk of RPGs. About the only time I've seen MP actually be tied to stamina is in Konosuba, which would basically explain why Megumin basically dies every time she uses Explosion.

This seems a bit too broad? Reconstruction as an ability to explain mana recovery is vastly different than using it to explain an object reconstituting itself.

I'd rather list mana restoration and such under a different subset. Preferably healing.
That seems to make sense. Thank you for helping out. 🙏

I like the concept of the thread.

I disagree with Ovens; I've run into this issue before, and just putting it under "Healing" seems unsatisfying. I had to index a spell that worked as a replacement for coffee as Healing, which feels pretty wrong.

I disagree with Ovens; I've run into this issue before, and just putting it under "Healing" seems unsatisfying. I had to index a spell that worked as a replacement for coffee as Healing, which feels pretty wrong.
Well, I suppose that it likely wouldn't cause any harm to expand a bit on our current Reconstruction page to turn it into "Restoration" instead.

@DarkDragonMedeus @Mr._Bambu @Celestial_Pegasus @Wokistan @Ultima_Reality @Elizhaa @Qawsedf234 @ByAsura @Damage3245 @Starter_Pack @Abstractions @LordGriffin1000 @Colonel_Krukov @SamanPatou @GyroNutz @Firestorm808 @Everything12 @Crabwhale @Just_a_Random_Butler

What do you think about this?

Well, I think that lumping together restoring immaterial and physical objects into the same type/category in the draft page seems inappropriate. They should preferably be separated into two sections.

Well, I think that lumping together restoring immaterial and physical objects into the same type/category in the draft page seems inappropriate. They should preferably be separated into two sections.
So about this...

hmm, bump, i think we have enough agreement to apply the change????

well, i think this is a good idea

also, i think we should have Other section about other type of ability that can restore things, such as causality hax, fate hax, plot hax, generic reality warping, etc..

Well, I suppose that this seems reasonable.

Temporal Restoration​

Energy Restoration​

Overall i disagree
This seems a bit too broad? Reconstruction as an ability to explain mana recovery is vastly difficult than using it to explain an object reconstituting itself.

That seems to make sense. Thank you for helping out. 🙏

Well, I suppose that it likely wouldn't cause any harm to expand a bit on our current Reconstruction page to turn it into "Restoration" instead.
I've fine with the change. Restoration covers everything reconstruction currently covers anyways.
@RatherClueless @Newendigo @Phoenks @Maverick_Zero_X @Vietthai96 @Sir_Ovens @Flashlight237 @Agnaa @DarkDragonMedeus @Qawsedf234 @Zaratthustra @Elizhaa @IdiosyncraticLawyer

So is somebody willing to write up a draft page based on what was stated above?

I don't know enough about this topic to draft up a page.

Okay. No problem. 🙏

I think that RatherClueless created an initial draft that needs to be further modified.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'd say it could work, I've also stumbled in such ability more than one time and listed it as "minor/limited healing".
Also, Restoration sounds better imho.

Thank you for helping out. 🙏

@ImmortalDread

I apologise for being a bother, but would you be willing and able to write a draft page for this?

Thank you. 🙏

I think that the draft looks sufficiently good to apply now.
@Antvasima Late, but I made the page. This thread can be closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back