• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important Question: Wiki Opinion on Verse Audits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bambu

Suffer-Not-Injustice Bambu
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Super Moderator
Administrator
Calculation Group
Silver Supporter
Hey guys. This is just a relatively simple thread to ask the wiki at large's opinion on an idea that's been floating around. Essentially, this thread wishes to discuss the possibility of creating an audit group for verses, comprised of staff and trusted users alike. The idea would be to work through every single verse on the wiki and look out for outright false information, questionable statistics, dead verses, etc.

Before starting this we'd like to hear user input on the idea, suggestions for how it would function, etc. For reference, this arose after concern about verses maintaining false statistics with no contribution outside of supporters. Such an audit system allows those interested to oversee such a issues.

Nothing is concrete yet, so if you have a hankering for suggestions or questions on stuff, ask now, ye?

This arose from concerns found in this thread.

I agree, but I also helped out a little behind thr scenes

I agree but (as you can tell from the linked thread) I helped out a lot behind the scenes.

I agree but I helped out a lot behind the scenes.

Well.

Do so now so you can adhere to the obvious comment dress code.

Andytrenom said:
You highlighting this?
We can but I'm not sure that's needed.

Firephoenixearl said:
Rework every dead verse?
If there's no-one around to rework it and it's unreliable, we kill it.

If a supporter actually provides scans, it'll get reworked, but that's their duty.

@Bambu This is supposed to get community input for something that would be a fairly major project aimed at improving the site overall. Isn't this exactly the kind of thing that would call for a highlight?

If you believe so. Agnaa appears to agree, so I can do it. Like I said, I'm not sure and I'd prefer not to be vastly trigger happy with highlights, as we've been in the past.

I also think that this seems like a good idea, as long as we have very good reasons for getting rid of profiles for different verses. The information should be very unreliable in order to do so, and the pages preferably of poor quality (structure, grammar, etcetera) as well.

That's the idea. We've set up a list of criteria that stuff would need to break to even be considered for deletion.

Okay. Then it seems fine. I just want us to be rational and not indiscriminate.

Mr. Bambu said:
That's the idea. We've set up a list of criteria that stuff would need to break to even be considered for deletion.
Should we post that list of criteria now for scrutiny, or wait for more input untainted by our envisioned criteria?

For now I'd rather wait to see what people think before concretely announcing what we have in mind.

Should I make a highlighted announcement for this thread? It might turn too bloated and chaotic though, so maybe it is better to make it staff only first?

Staff only defeats the purpose of the thread. This is for open input and sort of to allow people to participate. The future thread, if this is greenlighted, will likely be closed at all times except when updating the list and announcing decisions (so people can contribute elsewhere on said changes).

Big stats ie tier 1 need good evidence, although they don't need to be necessarily in the form of explanation blogs, links in the page should be enough if the stuff is straightforward. The same applies to tier 2 as well now that I think about it

Regarding inactive and obscure verses, I think others have already said whatever I could say myself

Okay. Should I highlight this anyway then? There would likely be a massive amount of replies if I do.

I mean with an announcement/real highlight.

I mean the bell in the upper right corner of the screen.

Well I say yes. Although it'll be a lot of replies, there are still verses from the normal users that will end up getting reworked or erased, so it should be highlighted.

Imaginym said:
I do worry about the "dead verses" bit. As in, deleting a 'verse for being inactive?
As in "Deleting a verse for having statistics that aren't backed up by scans, with no-one willing to provide scans".

Well, deleting verses for having no or very bad explanations seems like a better idea than deleting any of them with no linked scans. We would have to wipe out a large portion of the wiki otherwise.

Anyway, I will highlight this with an announcement then.

However, not all verses are of an easily proven visual nature. Evidence would be very hard to post in such cases, so researching past discussions about the verses for explanations is also an useful option.

This overall seems like a reasonable idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back