• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Important: Linking to "Illegal" Sites

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
This is extremely important, yet also possibly confusing. Obviously we have many profiles, most no doubt have links to online manga reading sites in order to showcase the pages/panels in question. I personally never click on such links because the priacy act in my country is strictly enforced. I kindly tell people who send me a link to ********* or ********* that I can't use those sites. People go to jail over it all the time here.

According to one of our users, Lei'Annimei, she's been blocked from visiting any website with a Fandom domain for a similar reason shortly after she joined awhile back. Not blocked by Fandom, blocked by the government it seems. I'm still talking with her and the Fandom Staff to find out the oddity of her situation (could be malware for all we know).

I don't know if it's because of these links or not, but maybe we should be careful linking to the sites themselves. It shouldn't hurt to actually just use the image themselves, without linking to the actual sight. Of course I primarily speak about manga reading sites. Same for anime watching sites (such as *********). I wouldn't want anyone getting into legal trouble. (Neither would Fandom, actually).

Best course of action nonetheless is to be well acquainted with the cyber laws of your country.

You can never be "too safe".

Never though that this could happen, like..... Wow.

So, should we get rid of this links and put instead the images? That sounds easy, right?

Unfortunately if there are too many pages, it would be difficult. Not to mention hunting for said pages would be equally difficult.

I don't know what's going on either. I was at school the other day and got scolded for looking at a profile on here that had a manga panel of a character as its picture. Maybe it's only a Japan thing? :/

Lei'Annimei doesn't live in Japan though...

Well, we can start by replacing the links in any profiles users can find.

I've tried to circumvent the issue when I read comics online by uploading the images to sites like Imgur.

@Matt

She's brought it up on Hangouts more than once.

In her case it could be something else. I'm not familiar with the laws in her country.

But as Peach said, it's a thing we in Japan definitely need to be careful of.

This has not happened to me, so maybe my contry doesn't have that issues.

Do this also happens with profiles that are linked to YT?

Certain manga reading sites, do contain malware though. Maybe that's what happened and it's separate from Peach's situation?

In that case we still have a problem...

Lol you really think the government can do that? Hahaha

@Therefir

Things are a lot different in Japan where this is strictly enforced. Don't mock people who live in different countries.

Well Austrailia has internet censorship laws, so you tell me.

And in Japan pirating manga is an actual offense punishable by law.

Did you even read my comment dude, or are you just assuming everything is like your country? Guess what? It's not.

@Sera

Are you safe if the images are uploaded to a third-party site like Imgur or Gyazo? I've started replacing some manga links, but does it work?

Yeah, should be fine. That should help out if it really is malware as well.

Yeah, I've clicked on a link to ********* before and it causes a billion pop ups. This was before getting an iPhone. Android only? Perhaps...

Peach-chan said:
Yeah, I've clicked on a link to ********* before and it causes a billion pop ups. This was before getting an iPhone. Android only? Perhaps...
That's 100% virus bait confirmed.

Use a mobile version of Firefox and install "NoScript". Prevents popups and therefore infections.

If it's cyber law (you gotta confirm it first), then that's out of our hands.

If you are gonna link a page/scan/whatever to a profile.

Upload the image here on the wiki, and then add the "This will be used under the fair laws of copyright of the US." and that should be it. No one should have any problem with that.

We don't stack full chapters or claim to be any way or form owners of that material.

There's easy ways when it comes to using manga. Converting to imgur is fine enough, though it may be hard for some people to find fresher scans to actually download without that whole "oh no a virus" thing. Bato.to used to be a pretty clean site when it came to scanlation groups, but it's being shut down by the owner if it isn't already deleted by now. The best way to probably get newer scans (and therefore converting them to imgur/gyazo/whatever) is through *********** (IIRC that's legitimately owned by a separate company) dumps of more recent manga or going directly to scanlation group sites, usually through wordpress, to download the files of chapters.

People probably already know this but I'm sharing my info for those who are on the hunt.

@Khristis

They don't. The problem is that a lot of pages on this wiki do link to English-speaking manga sites that are riddled with malware and can get them in trouble for so much as clicking on their links.

@Khristis

That's what I've been doing. The problem is that these links aren't marked and can prove potentially dangerous for some users depending on where they live.

Hmm. This is a problem. Unfortunately there are so many profiles that link to manga scans and similar as evidence, that it would be an enormous project to find and replace them all. I am not sure how to solve this issue.

@Antvasima

Well, we don't have to make a project out of it, but it would be good to make a habit of replacing any manga links with pictures saved to here or third party sites.

I've already done so with Natsu Dragneel's profile, but I can already think of a few other profiles that can use this treatment.

@Reppuzan

Okay. Thank you for the help.

Maybe we could write a new regulation about this, and encourage a gradual change?

Back