• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Immortality Question

Promestein

Resurrection Lily
She/Her
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
So, I'm planning on eventually making a page for a certain horror character whose immortality (primarily) derives from the fact that, upon death, another perfectly identical version of him shows up in his place, having come from another timeline. I know that Funny Valentine has a similar ability. Can this be quantified under our Immortality system? The closest I can think of is Type 6, but that's explicitly parasitic / jumping into another body, not simply being replaced by an alternate self.

6 is really the closest example I can think of, unless you want to just describe the power on the page.

Lavos has a similar thing, doesn't he?

Seems like we don't have any specific type of immortality for that. Type 9 maybe but...

If it is someone from a different timeline, can it really be classified as Immortality? It is a separate dude, just one that experienced the exact same past.

This is going to get into philosophy pretty fast; it all depends on which theory of self you subscribe to.

"It is a separate dude, just one that experienced the exact same past." Debatable, at least in this case, due to the nature of this guy. Immortality was the only way I could think to quantify it, and if other characters have similar abilities I feel like we should have something for it.

It's probably a bit of both. @Kaltias

Promestein said:
Immortality was the only way I could think to quantify it, and if other characters have similar abilities I feel like we should have something for it.
You'd be surprised.

I knowwwwww, but it's close to immortality, especially with those who are implied to have unified consciousnesses with their alternate selves and can switch out upon death because of it.

Do we allow linking to Superpower wiki for abilities? Because I think they have one that fits this.

Powerlisting has everything. I'm sure they do, but we have a rule against it now. But a lot of pages still have links to it.

Oh, I thought we still allowed it when in lack of better options.

Though, I really can't think of a comparison to this ability that we have.

Not anymore, unfortunately.

Yeah. Whatever, it's not a big deal. I'll just write it out on his page when I get around to making it.

Back