• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I think we should loosen our crossover rules a little bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namely, rule 3 of our Crossovers rules.
Profiles for crossover versions of characters from crossover games, and plot-irrelevant guest characters should NOT be allowed.

Examples: Mario (Smash Bros.), Thor (Marvel vs. Capcom), Jason Voorhees (Mortal Kombat), and Noctis (Tekken 7)
However, I think this could use some changes, because as of right now it kinda feels like just being a buzzkill. I also won't be touching the plot-irrelevant guest characters thing, since I think that's good where it is.

Oh, and I'm assuming everything here dosn't qualify for rule 4 or Cross-Fiction scaling.

I think the following requirements should be in place to allow a character from a crossover game to have a profile:
  1. The crossover must have some kind of noteworthy original story.
  2. The character must somehow be present in said story, and have feats/scaling outside of exclusively battling against other characters in gameplay (Typically this requires them fighting one of the original characters in the game,). This can include trailers if these trailers are somehow tied into the story.
  3. While not required, it's massively preferable if a character has something that separates them from their canon counterpart beyond stats. Typically, this is some kind of universal mechanic that anyone in the game has access to (Spirits in SSBU or the Infinity Stones in MvC:I as an example), though other more story-oriented examples exist. Of course, if the stat gap compared to their canon counterpart is wide enough, it could be worth making the profile anyways.
As for some rules for the profiles themselves...
  1. Characters cannot assumed to have the same stats or abilities as their canon counterparts unless events from their canon stories are directly mentioned by characters in-universe (Things like Smash Bros trophy descriptions cannot be used). Honestly this is mostly a case-by-case thing.

Some examples of what would be allowed if this were to go though as is:

Sephiroth (Super Smash Brothers Ultimate): He has clear scaling from one shotting Galeem, as well as being leaps and bounds above the other fighters. And, of course, Smash Ultimate does in fact have a story. He is on the edge of what would be allowed since he dosn't really have story presence in the game itself, however.

Mega Man X (Marvel vs Capcom Infinite): He has a major role in the story mode, and even gets empowered by four of the Infinity Stones to deal the final attack against Ultron Sigma.

Solange (Blade Strangers): Also most other characters from Blade Strangers would qualify for this since every single character plays a fairly major role in the story, but Solange in particular is basically the main character of the game.

Some examples of what wouldn't be allowed:

Pretty much any Marvel vs Capcom character who dosn't appear in Infinite: Sorry 2-C Phoenix Wright fans, I'm sure you'll have your day eventually. This just isn't it. There's practically zero story in any of the first 3 Marvel vs Capcom games, and what little there is provides pretty much no scaling.

Most Super Smash Brothers characters not featured in The Subspace Emissary: Smash Ultimate's story provides almost nothing to work with, and original bosses are almost exclusively fought outside of cutscenes. What little we do get from trailers is mostly Mario almost dying several times, giving practically nothing in terms of real scaling (Outside of the aforementioned Sephiroth). As for the Subspace Emissary itself, it has plenty of characters fighting each other in cutscenes, allowing for more solid scaling, and saying things in the AP section beyond "Scales to Kirby (Smash Bros.)"

Honestly, I don't see why crossover characters that have a proper story shouldn't be allowed. I mean, really, we have 44 Godzilla profiles. 9 Gokus. 21 Supermen. 8 Kirbies. 13 Sonics. 13 Mechagodzillas. 11 Sabers.

We have a profile dedicated solely to a mobile game version of The Gatekeeper from Fire Emblem Three Houses. Jason Voorhees from that bad NES game. More than one profile for characters only featured on the Atari 2600. Family Guy Kool-Aid Man. Fortnite Thanos. Carnage from a Universal Studios ride. Profiles for Trio the Punch in general. A tier 2 Tyrannosaurus Rex. Greg the Cave Monkey. Manga Shrek. This absolute Gary Stu that exists for the sole purpose of being overpowered. Obama fish.

But crossover game profiles? Unacceptable. How on earth is THIS where we draw the line?! Obviously there should be limitations, nobody wants a profile where the tiering is just "Unknown" for every stat and then some mediocre abilities, but I say if there's enough to work with to make a profile, then it should be fine to make a profile.

TBH I agree with this, the standards on crossover pages seem unecessarily strict nowadays. While notability can be a concern for the purposes of appropiate indexing, I think the priority should go more on what feats and statements there are to work with beyond scaling to the original canon (Which is usually a no anyways).

Overall, I agree with the revisions, as some know I was planning to carry on something similar since a long time.
Still, I want to address a few things.

Characters cannot assumed to have the same stats or abilities as their canon counterparts unless events from their canon stories are directly mentioned by characters in-universe (Things like Smash Bros trophy descriptions cannot be used). Honestly this is mostly a case-by-case thing.

I wouldn't write this as a rule, exaclty because it depends strictly on case-by-case basis, and because it's extremely common for many crossover characters, canon or not, to have references to their canon past and story, just because that's from they come from and it's part of their character, but it doesn't necessarily make the crossover canon.

Also, it should be written down as a rule that canon characters cannot scale to non-canon characters, although the opposite can be made if the non-canon character's story features it.
Example, Mortal Kombat Xenomorph scales to Shinnok since it killed him in its own story, but in turn Shinnok, nor any other canon character, would scale to the Xenomorph (assuming the story was longer).
I.E. the story of a non-canon character is self-contained, and canon only to them alone.

Still, I think that having something notable outside of an original story should be an absolute requirement to make them different from their original counterparts. The characters in Marvel Infinite might even have a story, but they are pretty much identical to their canon versions, so I don't see a reason to have them around.
It's true we have multiple different versions of the same character, but it's also true that some have been deleted due to being almost irrelevant and not notable enough, like the several alternate versions of Godzilla that were deleted some months ago.

I don't know if he would qualify because I know nothing about Brawlhalla, but also Rayman already has a profile for his Brawlhalla version.
Completely forgot about that
Also, Rayman would be considered a guest character, not a character from a crossover game I believe.
He has his own story which ties into the brawlhalla lore and his own lore

Rayman​

Champion of the Glade of Dreams​

“Long ago the Primordial Forest, deep and mysterious, witnessed the birth of a man… a vegetable… no, no, no: a thingamajig. Conjured from the magnificent moonbeams of the second summer solstice, woven together by us, the nymphs, destined to preserve the equilibrium of the sacred universe, the one we call: Rayman!”” – Betilla the Fairy, Origins

“Have you seen the new guy? Things are getting weird around here.”
“You’re an actual cat.”
“That’s fair.”
– Asuri and Jhala

The Glade of Dreams is once again under threat from the nefarious Mr. Dark, and once again, Polokus, the Bubble Dreamer, has called upon Rayman to save the day. From Polokus, Rayman learned that the only way to defeat Mr. Dark was to find the lost Horn of Lums.

Setting forth on his quest, Rayman ventured deep, deep into the forest. One day, after long travel and many adventures, Rayman emerged into a wide clearing. High on a hill he saw the huge golden hall and heard the roar of a vast crowd. Entering, Rayman was met by the sight of the Grand Tournament of Valhalla in full swing. Among the throng of cheering spectators, Rayman saw the god Odin wearing a “Sentinel #1” baseball cap and a Sir Roland jersey (it was 2v2s-day). Next to Odin sat the Tournament’s glorious pile of prizes. Sitting on top of the pile was the Horn of Lums.

Without hesitation, Rayman entered the tournament. That he would be battling the greatest warriors of every time and place bothered him not at all, and he quickly showed himself to be one of the best. But even for Rayman, victory will not come easy.

Rayman is fighting hard to win the Horn and complete his quest, but he also loves the wild ruckus of Valhalla, and feels right at home among the bizarre cast of legendary warriors. He is especially good friends with Kaya and has a truly amazing handshake with Kor that only they can do.
First quote is directly from one of his old games

i was wondering why these profiles didnt exist and then i found out about this rule a little while ago, yeah i dont understand why it exists, but i also dont understand the restrictions in this crt either, why is a story needed, i can kinda understand exclusively gameplay scaling being weird but why are some characters or games still not allowed because of no real story

Completely forgot about that

He has his own story which ties into the brawlhalla lore and his own lore

First quote is directly from one of his old games
Yeah Rayman himself seems fine.

Probably though, characters like recent SF ones, Steven universe, Adventure time, lara croft and etc. shouldn't be allowed since they're just costumes for characters iirc...?

Yeah Rayman himself seems fine.

Probably though, characters like recent SF ones, Steven universe, Adventure time, lara croft and etc. shouldn't be allowed since they're just costumes for characters iirc...?
Those are all costumes, nothing more nothing less, but Rayman, a crossover character with actual lore, would be cool.

How would scaling feats from the OG series work?

The question becomes, how would this affect something like

Jump Force or whatever its name is..

Usually those topics around rhat game gets heated

I was wondering why these profiles didn't exist and then I found out about this rule a little while ago, yeah I don't understand why it exists, but I also don't understand the restrictions in this crt either, why is a story needed, I can kinda understand exclusively gameplay scaling being weird but why are some characters or games still not allowed because of no real story
?

Most of the time with crossovers the major issue is the recursive power scaling that usually gets tossed around, which is why they are banned, rather than anything. A lot of older stuff also has no story and are just fighting games.

Most of the time with crossovers the major issue is the recursive power scaling that usually gets tossed around, which is why they are banned, rather than anything. A lot of older stuff also has no story and are just fighting games.
Recursive power scaling?

• Kirby is 4-A
  • Kirby fights Olimar from Pikmin
  • Olimar is therefore 4-A.
Or to use another example scaling MK to Injustice feats.
OK? So we just don't do that. Problem solved.

Edit: Like, seriously, crossovers aren't considered canon 99% of the time. Not allowing the Blade Strangers version of Shovel Knight isn't gonna stop anyone from making CRTs like that if they were going to before.

Last edited:
Genuinely, we already have stuff laid out on our crossover page detailing if a crossover is canon or not. Recursive Power Scaling would not be made more of a problem by allowing these profiles. What it sounds like is that we have these types of profiles banned just because some people don't read our rules. Even though if they didn't read our rules then weather or not crossover profiles are allowed means literally nothing.

Hell, if anything, having profiles for these versions of characters would further define them as separate canons, making Recursive Power Scaling less of an issue.

Would Rayman in his Brawlhalla version (not on the wiki yet) qualify?
He'd be affected since he's a guest character, but the fact he has a little bit of story and some unique abilities would make him fine, I believe.

How would scaling feats from the OG series work?
That's not going to happen with anyone, unless we are 100000% sure that the guest/crossover characters' appearance in another game is canon to their own series, with strong evidences pointing out to that.
Just having references to their source game or similar isn't enough.

The question becomes, how would this affect something like

Jump Force or whatever its name is..
They are akin to MvC and the likes, meaning that non-original characters, despite having an original story, need to have unique traits that make them diffferent from their canon counterpart, with powers and abilities being the most relevant factor.

Anyways, since there's no much disagreements or objections so far, should we apply the changes or wait for more staff input and stuff?

i was wondering why these profiles didnt exist and then i found out about this rule a little while ago, yeah i dont understand why it exists, but i also dont understand the restrictions in this crt either, why is a story needed, i can kinda understand exclusively gameplay scaling being weird but why are some characters or games still not allowed because of no real story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back