• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Our Stage Persona Rules Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is unfortunate that AVGN likely won’t be allowed, but I suppose it’s the best for the website.

Because his videos are partially fictionalised.

He could probably have profiles for his video games/movies on their own (if they don't run into fanfiction issues), but not for the content from this reviews.
The AVGN movie is party of the YouTube series and is officially episode 120.

The video game version on the other hand can be seen as a separate series yes.

Wasn't it decided earlier in this thread that his profile would be fine?
DDM said that, and Qawsed that early AVGN wouldn't but modern would (I don't think that would be workable), but it goes against the written rules.

What do you think "partly fictionalised" is meant to mean, if it doesn't include things like AVGN? You cannot honestly say that's wholly fictional, given all the review segments of it.

What do you think "partly fictionalised" is meant to mean, if it doesn't include things like AVGN?
Things that do reflect a person's real life, with occasional elements of fictionalization. Something like many of the wrestler profiles up for deletion, where it's more or less the same person as their persona but with slightly embellished backstories or physical abilities.

I would personally put AVGN in the same category as someone like Eric Andre, albeit a bit more subdued.

That wouldn't be "partly fictionalised", that would be "wholly fictionalised but based on the actor's life"! We already cover that with another bullet point!

Well, the AVGN fits that criteria as well. I can't say I'm particularly well versed in the lore, but I'll personally be shocked if his life is at all comparable to James Rolfe. From what I've seen, his videos don't really give off the vibe of being an exaggerated retelling of real events.

I know that AVGN fits that criteria.

I'm saying that he fails the criteria of large parts of AVGN not being fictional; they're reviews with frequent fictional skits in them.

So if a stage persona mostly does mundane tasks - ones that are distinct from their real life actors - but has frequent showings of power, speed, or hax, we'd just... disregard all that because they don't do it enough?

Gotta say that I vehemently disagree with that take. It seems overly arbitrary to dictate how much "mundanity" is too much, and I'd rather we focus on whether or not they have feats to index at all (as well as if they fit the other criteria). All I intended by that standard was that the persona have a story that wasn't a 1-to-1 representation of their actor's real life, not that they couldn't do typical IRL things even if they met the other criteria.

Like at that point just delete every live action character, this is absurd.

It's nothing to do with mundanity. It's about how much of it is an actual fictional story, as opposed to non-fictional elements, like reviews, let's plays, educational content, legitimate cooking content, etc. etc.

It's nothing to do with mundanity. It's about how much of it is an actual fictional story, as opposed to non-fictional elements, like reviews, let's plays, educational content, legitimate cooking content, etc. etc.
So... exactly as I said, then. Normal activities are verboten, but not for regular actors, only for stage personas (which are totally different from actors). Ignoring how how much cooking, reviewing, or so on a verse is allowed to do is an arbitrary limit, how exactly is this different from the million verses we have that are 90% normal person activities with occasional elements of fantasy?

At this point, it just seems like stage personas are being singled out for no reason.

You are completely misunderstanding.

Shokugeki no Soma completely focuses around cooking, but it's fictionalised, it's not someone giving you an IRL guide on how to cook things, so it'd be allowed.

I wasn't talking about strictly educational programs.

Let me ask you something: Are Disney sitcoms with fictional elements - like Wizards of Waverly place, which we do currently index - allowed on this site?

Let me ask you something: Are Disney sitcoms with fictional elements - like Wizards of Waverly place, which we do currently index - allowed on this site?
Yes; they're purely fictional.
I wasn't talking about strictly educational programs.
I'm talking about programs which mix being educational, with fictional skits and lore. That's what "Characters must be genuinely fictional, without blending fiction and reality" means.

Yes; they're purely fictional.
Those shows are filled with nonfictional elements, what are you even talking about? Like, FFS, we literally allow Breaking Bad when it's a show focused around realistic humans doing realistic things that their actors don't do in real life.

I'm talking about programs which mix being educational, with fictional skits and lore. That's what "Characters must be genuinely fictional, without blending fiction and reality" means.
I... already said I wasn't talking about educational programming.

I need to go to bed now, but I'd like to ask if it'd be for the best to just leave the rules as they are now and open a new thread to discuss this current issue.

Those shows are filled with nonfictional elements, what are you even talking about? Like, FFS, we literally allow Breaking Bad when it's a show focused around realistic humans doing realistic things that their actors don't do in real life.
That doesn't make it nonfictional, what are you talking about?

Realism is still done in fictional things all the time.
I... already said I wasn't talking about educational programming.
Educational and/or informative and/or analytical presented in a largely non-fictional manner.

Better?

With the way it's currently written, I worry that it could remove some currently accepted pages. Like, 10-C cartoon characters.
Honestly, you could remove it. As Bambu said, this is not really wanted.

I rewrote it to explicitly say that rule's only about stage personas; is that fine?

Wait, I saw the edit. Hell no, it's fully unorganized. Please unlock the page and I will do it myself.

I'll unlock it, but if your formatting is out of line with what we have for our rules pages, I'll re-lock it and undo the edits.

EDIT: Unlocked.

I know how to format, Agnaa. You really messed up the order. Naw, you never should touch this. You did not even attach the relevant available links to some terms there.

Last edited:
I didn't think the order was vital - none of them referred to the order - so I rearranged a few to fit more in line with the rules that were already on the page.

Naw, please don't touch it next time. We for a reason worked so hard to make it up-to-order. No need to ruin the beauty.

Edit: I applied it.

Last edited:
Edit: I applied it.
I made a few changes to grammar and formatting, to better align with our rules pages. We don't have widespread use of italics and bold in our rules.
Absolutely not, but I'll just make a new thread about it.
Why the hell would "Our rules about stage personas should say that they're about stage personas" be such a different topic to a thread about writing the rules for stage personas, that a new thread would be needed?

I highly advise against making another thread.

Last edited:
Why the hell would "Our rules about stage personas should say that they're about stage personas" be such a different topic to a thread about writing the rules for stage personas, that a new thread would be needed?

I highly advise against making another thread.
Not at all what I meant by that. If I think the standards are applied inconsistently, then I'll make an effort to fix them. I'm not the kind of blue name to sit on my ass and complain when the site does something I view as egregiously wrong.

Which standards are applied inconsistently? You are obligated to make your points clear. We ain't creating a new thread for this.

Last edited:

Current vote tally​

Dread's Full Draft
Dread's Draft w/o Last 2
Antvasima
Agnaa​
Mr._Bambu
Dalesean027​
CloverDragon03
DarkDragonMedeus
Deagonx
DarkDragonMedeus
Just_a_Random_Butler
7 votes (5 verified)
2 votes (0 verified)

Note:
Staff members with a reddish name are the ones granted traditional rights (known as evaluation rights in VSBW terminology)
FWIW evaluation rights are for CRTs. All staff members are taken into consideration for overall site policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back