• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spinoirr

He/Him
Where was it agreed that heat/cold ignores Durability if you don't have resistance to it?

Also how hot does it need to be to vaporize a comet in space

Last edited:
Where was it agreed that heat/cold ignores Durability if you don't have resistance to it?
I don't remember anything like that taking place on our wiki, ever.

Apparently temperatures exceeding 1100 degrees C is enough to do the trick. You could also use iron's melting point of 1538 degrees C since a lot of meteorites consist of iron. Use the averages of these two values if you're not sure.

Alrighty well a stupid question then, not sure if it is even possible, but what temperature is needed to vaporize lava itself? One of my fav series has a feat like this.

Alrighty well a stupid question then, not sure if it is even possible, but what temperature is needed to vaporize lava itself? One of my fav series has a feat like this.
Uhhhhhh, find the boiling point of rock (The temperature at which rock turns to gas) and then specific heat capacity that sucker?

Actually, it does to an extent since AZ stops molecular movement and high temperatures destroy tissues and moisture. Also, blood can freeze and boil.

Actually, it was never agreed to negate durability outright; especially not heat. Since it's usually the other way around since all Joules of overpressure means that the joules of thermal energy are at least as much, but producing joules of heat =/= joules of overpressure by default. Although, this doesn't always extend to the components of the thermal energy (Specific heat capacity Vs Density Vs Specific Temperature). It can't quite be determined if it's a low capacity/density with a big illion number in degrees (Which could bypass durability situationally) Or a low temperature with high heat capacity (Which is usually much less impressive than the energy yield would have you believe).

Though as for cold, AZ temperatures definitely negate durability since it freezes atoms and molecules and technically requires High 3-A levels of conductivity precision to pull off via traditional methods. But lower levels can be resisted via the body producing more heat than the energy being extracted per second. But most of the time, durability reduction is the better word than negation, since "Negation" implies most characters have 0 durability against something.

I think it's more about considering characters without resistances as vulnerable to heat and cold, because often fiction doesn't care about the laws of physics, thus you have (for example) 5-B characters who die in lava or suffer when hit by hot metal and such when they should be completely unaffected because of their durability alone (unless I'm wrong on how it would work)

I think more extreme examples such as Planet level characters getting killed by standard house fire should just be PIS. Though, stuff like lava or getting launched into the sun's core still has other methods to kill characters especially the latter. Such as inhaling hazardous chemicals and/or drowning.

Being Mountain level for example isn't full proof that they can survive in the sun's core since the mountain levels of heat capacity could be via density and/or specific heat capacity rather than specific temperature. And I wouldn't say a Town level punch is automatically billions of degrees for the same reason; though it would also still be town levels of thermal energy for other reasons. There are verses where some characters are only 8-A, via being immune sun's core. But other in verse characters are Tier 4 yet can be killed by the same thing.

It's another case by case situation at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Does that mean that heat doesn't actually kill someone if they have a high durability?
No, just that heat killing someone with tremendously higher dura is straight up PIS, since logically their own physical attacks would generate a gargantuan amount of heat more than even the Sun's core can muster.

No, just that heat killing someone with tremendously higher dura is straight up PIS, since logically their own physical attacks would generate a gargantuan amount of heat more than even the Sun's core can muster.
How would that work in a vs battle? If someone can generate 100000 K of heat and another dude doesn't have heat resistance but has say country level durability. What would happen, can the country level tank it?

If a character has heat resistance, it could be listed in the resistances section if they can withstand the thousands illions of degrees and what not. What calculating the attack potency of a plasma rifle or incineration cannon for instance, the joules of energy or watts of power alone wouldn't be evidence of durability negation/reduction, but a "2 Megakelvin laser" statement could be potentially durability reduction. But again, it depends on whether or not the character in question has feats withstanding those specific temperatures.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand. Heat is measured in joules which is AP. If someone is say planetary, wouldn't they be able to resist heat millions of degrees without heat resistance because of durability or?

Uhhhhhh, find the boiling point of rock (The temperature at which rock turns to gas) and then specific heat capacity that sucker?
Ain't really sure how to do that? The only thing we are given is that Lava was vaporized, nothing else. No mass, no energy, no size, no nothing. What can we do with this?

Last edited:
Back