• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Halo: Master Chief and Spartans' revisions and downgrades

So do bullets and they don't instantly pierce energy shields like these cracked knives do consistently.
While this is indeed true, tbf, energy shield are defensive and are meant to being effective against anything that will harm the user.

Also bullets are propelled so of course the piercing wouldn’t been as effective as a metal knife going into melee status

Speaking of nutty scaling, we really should give Spartans and Elites a "Higher with knives/energy daggers" rating since they consistently one-shot much stronger enemies than them in Halo Reach and 4 via Assassinations.
I am iffy about this. Part of me wants to push for this...but I just can't.
Before anyone gets uppity about it being Game Mechanics or whatever Emile while literally on death's door one-shots an Elite Zealot with his Kukri
This is legit, but pretty much any character is technically "higher" with blades. A 10-A could do some damage to a 9-B with piercing damage, and two 9-A/8-C's could one-shot the other with a knife in the right place.
and Chief stabs the Didact's eye out with his own knife so Spartan Knives are consistently really OP for some reason.
Massive outlier. I think we should forget that entire fight altogether, the Didact doesn't even use constraint fields in that shitty sorry excuse for a comic.

While this is indeed true, tbf, energy shield are defensive and are meant to being effective against anything that will harm the user.

Also bullets are propelled so of course the piercing wouldn’t been as effective as a metal knife going into melee status
That would still give these guys a higher rating with them regardless since they're more effective than just punching. Also since War Games (Multiplayer) in Halo 4 is canon we can also use that to note these crazy ass knives can one-shot Spartan IVs through their shields and armor so more consistency.

Actually now you mention it, I recall Emile stabbing that Elite in the Neck while he was dying.

Same can applies for the assassinations as they tend to hit vital spots to kill their opponent in one go

Actually now you mention it, I recall Emile stabbing that Elite in the Neck while he was dying.

Same can applies for the assassinations as they tend to hit vital spots to kill their opponent in one go
He still had to pop the shield first to do any damage and during gameplay on Heroic difficulty (the canon difficulty) you can't pop a Zealot's shields with one punch like you can other Elites.

He still had to pop the shield first to do any damage and during gameplay on Heroic difficulty (the canon difficulty) you can't pop a Zealot's shields with one punch like you can other Elites.
Game Mechanics is a mixed bag as it helps with the story yet at the same time, we talked about a in-game cutscene where we see an Elite getting stabbed in the neck by a knife. Also he shotgun a different Elite before he stabbed the other one too

Melee weapons really shouldn't be tiered by default, since at the end of the day. It's all about the person using them that determines the potency. Exception is of course mystical or weapons made of various adamantium knock offs and what not.

As I recall there is no "Canon Difficulty". If you are referring to Bungie calling Heroic "the way Halo is meant to be played" that most likely means the recommended difficulty for a rewarding challenge.

Melee weapons really shouldn't be tiered by default, since at the end of the day. It's all about the person using them that determines the potency. Exception is of course mystical or weapons made of various adamantium knock offs and what not.
We are on the same page here. Though Cinder's point is that Knives, energy daggers, and energy swords can instantly pop through shields.

I am conflicted on that point. Halo is infuriatingly inconsistent with shields and melee strikes. Sometimes shields don't flare at all in response to melee strikes, other times they seem to deflect melee strikes as with Master Chief vs Atriox.

Another thing worth noting, is that Shields in Halo kind of have a common weakness where it's mostly programmed to react to heat. This basically means it that it can significantly reduce damage from plasma weapons or fast paced projectiles (Due to the sheer friction of fast paced objects generating heat), but against attacks that are on the slow but heavy side, the protection it grants. While there is still some defense enhancement, it's relatively minimal compared to attacks of heat or fast projectiles. Spartan shields modeled their technology from the Covenant, who in turn modeled technology after the Prometheans and Sentinel shields.

We are on the same page here. Though Cinder's point is that Knives, energy daggers, and energy swords can instantly pop through shields.

I am conflicted on that point. Halo is infuriatingly inconsistent with shields and melee strikes. Sometimes shields don't flare at all in response to melee strikes, other times they seem to deflect melee strikes as with Master Chief vs Atriox.

Yeah, blades are plasma, so I can also sort of see merit. But sort of is a key word.

I kind of wish we knew just how proficient in hand to hand Spartans and Elites are, that would make any potential skill scaling much easier.

Back