• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Greg Heffley downgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
One major thing I would like to note is that several of Greg's feats could be exaggerated due to how he sees himself with high regard.

Attack Potency

>Comparable to Rowley who is a gold belt.

Greg shouldn't really be comparable to Rowley in this sense because his status as a gold belt is more of a measurement of experience rather than actual AP because knowing martial arts doesn't make you stronger, it just gives you knowledge on how to defend yourself. This should also be in now way applied to being Subsonic because Martial Arts doesn't increase your speed.

Speed

I agree with most of these feats except for "cleaning a very dirty house after a house party". A timeframe isn't given for this feat except for in the movie which isn't used since the profile is supposedly based off the book so the feat shouldn't be counted for speed. Greg tagging the tricycle was mainly because Greg was just lucky because Greg had stated that he had already tried to Rowley several times so Greg was able to know when to hit the tricycle

Durability

Most of the people that were listed for punching him (except for Chirag) were likely not using a great amount of force on Greg otherwise Greg would've been severely injured due to his small size. Rowley fell off his tricycle and he broke his arm since Greg is much more fragile than Rowley, if Greg was in the same position as Rowley, he would've broken more than his arm.

Greg even being a profile is hard to do considering the entire series is based off a diary, which is about as biased as it gets. The entirety of the series is Greg's first person view and it is quite hard to differentiate between reality and fiction. The dude was conscious while inside his mother's womb of all things. Should that be treated as fact? Or was it something Greg exaggerated.

I do have to agree with that. This was the first time doing a downgrade and when I saw that Greg was 10-A, it felt a little bit strange considering Greg is literally referred to as Wimpy so seeing how he could technically beat up most humans in our world just didn't feel right

I think the speed convo should be moved here

Even with this being diary Greg in mind (assuming thats even okay to do, I guess Captain Underpants did it and it was cool?) I highly doubt subsonic would be acceptable as a speed when it lacks consistency and relies on just one feat at most because the others are wack (see the other thread)

Can't assume otherwise without more evidence. Just because you think Greg exaggerated things happening,

1. This is based on the Diary Greg. Meaning what the Diary shows him doing

2. Just cause he is referred to as a wimpy kid, doesn't automatically mean that him being weak. In his own verse he could be. But Dan is Weak in his verse but is Wall level. You have to go by actual feats. Not name fallacy

3. His feats included catching up to a car, histamine off his clothes and jumping onto his bed feat, and the water running feat. Are all even the more recent feats. The water one comes from The Getaway which is almost the last book cept for The Meltdown

AP That was only One of the reasons. It really just comes from being able to wrestle with people like rodrick who can hurt h

Speed That why I put a few hours. We know Greg was asleep by 2 in the morning. And it was much later into the morning when Greg woke up. As well the time that the parents were getting home. The tricycle feat I'll back down on cause I do believe that is true. And I can remove that feat.

Durability. The main feat is when he was being slammed around in a van. Greg told him to take it easy on the breaks as he kept being smacked around, And this time he drives at every speed bump he could do Greg would smack the roof. And when he got out of the van. He wasn't severely hurt or much. He just called rodrick a jerk. And rodricks Punch showed not reason he was really holding anything back. He wouldn't care too.

I will settle at debuffing Greg to At least Athletic human, Likely Super human (via his out running dog and his catching up to one) and at most or possibly Sub Sonic

I was about to make the same thread.

>Comparable to Rowley who is a gold belt in karate

Umm why is he "comparable" to Rowley? The very scene cited is meant to imply Greg's skill isn't comparable to Rowley's. Why is a 6th grader having a gold belt in a strip mall McDojo (where it's made a plot point later on that he isn't actually tough and cannot fight at all) some feat of being as strong as an athletic grown man?

>Wrestled with Rodrick

The very scene being used here shows Greg getting completely overpowered. He's not at all as strong as Rodrick which is very clear in the stories. Plus Rodrick is a skinny teenager.

>Should be comparable to others who can hurt him

That's not really how it works but okay

>he has outran several security guards

Not subsonic.

>Scales to Rodrick and Manny who caught up to a golf cart on foot

Doesn't scale to Rodrick like I said. Also the average top speed of most golf carts is 15 mph. Also in this very page this golf cart was going especially slow to the point where the guards also outran it with total ease.

>Comparable to Rowley who is a gold belt in karate

Already addressed this.

>Could tag a Tricycle while it was going downhill with a football

Not subsonic at all.

>cleaned a very dirty house after a party with Rodrick in under a few hours

Lol

>kept pace and likely caught a dog while running up hill

That looks like the dog is significantly ahead of him. Also dogs don't run anywhere remotely close to subsonic of course.

>and outran a Pit Bull

This isn't canon. And pit bulls again aren't close to subsonic. And it seems like the dog just got off its leash and started to run with the two getting a head start.

>Took off all his clothes except underwear and then jumped into bed before his clothes touched the floor

This is a popular trope and isn't at all any sort of speed feat.

>Was able to run on water after being frightened

That seems like a very shallow pool. And even if he is literally "walking on water" which I highly doubt it's like mega outlier. Also Greg is very hyperbolic and a frequent liar. But I guess Greg also has memories when he was in his mother's womb and was already capable of full speech back then, since Greg's made that claim before too.

>While shown to be weaker, him and Rowley were still able to push a large ball of snow

Snow isn't that heavy.

>Comparable to Rowley who could bench press two milk jugs filled with sand for a small amount of time

That's only 26 pounds.

>and could carry him

Rowley's a small child

>Takes punches from Rodrick and several students much bigger than him

Again Rodrick isn't that strong. And like he's an asshole but he's not going to literally try and knock Greg unconcious and make him bleed or bruise. Even if he was that evil, he knows his parents would kill him for that. Also "several students". You mean the middle schoolers? And again, they're just trying to give Greg a hard time not severely injure him.

>managed to pretend nothing was happening when Chirag was punching him over and over in the shoulder

Chirag is the size of a 7 year old as Greg has stated before.

>When he was younger, he fell into a wall hard enough that it left a hole in it

If simply a little kid falling over onto a wall is enough to break it, that's more a showing of the wall being incredibly shit than the kid being extremely strong. American public schools suck. A 5th grader punched a hole in one of our walls and acted like a badass the rest of the year.

>Was tossed around and forward while in a moving car daily

I mean okay but like not really something you need to have an incredibly strong body to withstand.

>had his hand smashed several times with a mallet by Rowley

Not sure how this is some dura feat. If anything his hand getting nearly broken by a weak 6th grader with a tiny toy hammer is the opposite.

>got shot with a BB gun and was ok

It's not linked but, so have many other stupid kids I've known. BB guns typically are not that dangerous.

>got hit by tennis Balls by several kids who's throws were hard enough to knock out other people and was relatively unhurt

No one seems to have gotten knocked out and again these are little kids. Also in this same scan being used to prove Greg's some athlete he admits he can't even climb a rock wall in P.E.

The profile should honestly be deleted. On top of all the bad stats, Greg just isn't a fighting character that should at all be used in VS debates.

Speed is probably totally wack too, Im not sure if I would even put a possibly note on speed considering that the list of feats on the page is actually a great list of feats that entirely contradict any higher showings, even if we do do diary-only Greg for some reason.

Assuming the deletion request for the page is unsuccessful anyway. Either way, things shouldn't stay the way they are.

One other thing I would like to note is that in "The Long Haul" and "The Getaway", Greg and his family are overpowered by a small flock of seagulls. The AP of the seagulls isn't given but there is no reason to suggest that they are stronger than regu;ar seagulls considering all of the Heffleys were frightened when a single seagull was swarming them in their car

It can be confirmed that the feats in the diary are unreliable. I just went into a bookstore today and saw a Rowley Jefferson spinoff book that was just as biased as Greg's diary and had wildly different feats compared to Greg's version.

These are two different interpretations of the same characters in the same universe with different statements depending on who's diary you read.

I think that is proof enough that the profiles can never be truly accurate.

So what would be next? Would it either be deletion like what was requested on the management thread or would it just be downgraded to much lower tiers? Tbh I dont know if Id agree with the latter because Greg is too unremarkable to have a profile with fair matches and stuff that is actually informative and helpful.

Ryukama thinks that it should be deleted.

I still think deleting is too much. First of wall. Saying he needs a downgrade partially because the books called "diary of a wimpy kid" is a name fallacy. He can be wimpy in his world yet strong or decent in our world should he have right feats. And Even if we don't sub sonic feat in account the feats like the water running feat or his bed feat and focus on what doesn't seem cartoony or exaggerated. (Which tbh. He doesn't exaggerate as much as you think. He is pretty straight about the situation in his diary. Admitting when he sucked at something, that he isn't smart, or strong. Ect. He actually hasn't exagrated how strong he is at any point. He has admired himself to be weak. And quite a few other flaws. He mostly just has an ego to make himself look like a better person.)

He still hits decent levels. Outrunning security guards (Which was a main part of the book), Rodrick catching up to a golf cart, catching a dog and out running one, and his car feat where he had his head slammed into the ceiling at every speed bump as rodrick wasn't hitting the breaks. Having that happen several times over and not getting a concussion and even showing to be generally ok should be enough to help justify his level. As well the fact he also was being thrown around the van due to a lack of seats. Any normal human having their head slammed against the roof of a metal van multiple times while a van is driving or being slammed around when it's moving would likely do some damage at least. And it's not like he could really exaggerate that one. Even the movie had his van lack any seats plus them being thrown around the van. Including Rowley at one pointing flying and hitting into the room. So it even more solidly backs up rodrick doing that. And before you go bringing up the Rowley broken arm feat. That happened from the very first book. These other feats are later on. And it would make sense Greg got somewhat stronger as entering multiple different teams over the years, and being forced into working out.

Without the sub sonic. His other feats are decently consistent. His speed being above average via golf cart (athletic human), outrunning security guards (Atheltic human) and two dog feats feat (anywhere from athletic, peak, or super human)

His Car feat being definitely above Below average. Athletic level via that feat isn't unreal. And also remember, this was a Normal thing too. He had too take rides from rodrick everyday. And while he stopped early on. He still had to get rides later one and went through the same stuff. So I stick by that he should keep his page. Even if sub sonic is removed. I say he should be around

Athletic human AP abd durability (via car feat and wrestling with rodrick in later books)

And Athletic to peak human speeds via his both his dog feats

"Saying he needs a downgrade partially because the books called "diary of a wimpy kid" is a name fallacy."

It's almost as if this was just a meme and not at all the main argument.

"He can be wimpy in his world yet strong or decent in our world should he have right feats."

Except he doesn't at all have the right feats. All these feats have been debunked. Also you can't concede to the fact that he's very weak in his verse while also trying to scale him as being on par with or above other, stronger characters in his series. Plus several of the showings you bring are anti-feats if anything.

"He doesn't exaggerate as much as you think"

He claimed he was concious and fully capable of speech as a fetus. Rowley tells his account of the same events in a different way, meaning at least one of them has to be inaccurate. Sure maybe everything he says isn't a lie but if he's claiming he does something that literally defies physics or might seem to you is a superhuman feat of prowess, we should take it with a grain of salt. Especially if as you say he admits to being weak many other times.

The van "feat" is simply not as amazing as you insist. Getting your head hit on the ceiling of a car or bumping around the side of the car is not that dangerous. If anything I'd be shocked if they actually got seriously injured, knocked out, or killed from such a thing. Also again, there are lesser durability anti-feats throughout the series.

Again, that golf cart was explicitly very slow. So slow that the guards caught it with no effort whatsoever and a freaking toddler caught up with it. If a toddler with absolutely nothing to suggest he's any different from a regular toddler catches a car, that's a slow car. Not an olympic athlete toddler.

We don't know how in shape the guards are, from what it seems here Greg could've gotten a head start, and from his previous statements and showings of his lack of athleticism he could very well just be on an adrenaline rush right now. Also addressed the other stuff with the dogs.

As we have it right now there are zero 10-A feats, one dubiously 10-A dura feat at best which is contradicted by other showings and one possibly athletic human feat. That on top of a somewhat unreliable narrator. I don't think the page should stay.

I feel like him remembering his time in the womb is a lie from Greg. I wouldn't put him at 10-C, as he was still able to pull his dad and really only couldn't perform in gym that one time because of a lack of energy. Subsonic seems fine (but thats mainly because of the water feat).

"I feel like him remembering his time in the womb is a lie from Greg."

Oh but him pulling a Jesus Christ and literally walking on water isn't? Also I am still pretty sure this is out of context and he's only running in a shallow kiddie pool. But even if he isn't, this is most likely is a lie or is at least a mega outlier.

Dragging someone actually doesn't take all that much strength. 8 year old me could drag my 200 pound dad across the floor. Could 8 year old me actually pick up 200 pounds? Hell no.

Ryukama said:
"I feel like him remembering his time in the womb is a lie from Greg."
Oh but him pulling a Jesus Christ and literally walking on water isn't? Also I am still pretty sure this is out of context and he's only running in a shallow kiddie pool. But even if he isn't, this is most likely is a lie or is at least a mega outlier.

Dragging someone actually doesn't take all that much strength. 8 year old me could drag my 200 pound dad across the floor. Could 8 year old me actually pick up 200 pounds? Hell no.
The only reason I think the womb stuff is more ridiculous is because its an extreme boast which Greg just casually talks about. He made a bigger deal about the water thing so thats the only reason I gave that some credit. Though, the flaws about the feat you pointed out are pretty fair.

So because he "made a bigger deal" about being Jesus Christ and walking on water that means it isn't a lie? So if I talk about breaking the laws of physics it's believable as long as I make a big deal out of it instead of just casually mentioning that I broke the laws of physics?

Ryukama said:
So because he "made a bigger deal" about being Jesus Christ and walking on water that means it isn't a lie? So if I talk about breaking the laws of physics it's believable as long as I make a big deal out of it instead of just casually mentioning that I broke the laws of physics?
Not what I was implying, but to each his own.

Doesn't really matter tho since I actually agree with you. The profile is busted.

Since nearly everyone is in an agreement I've removed the profile. I'll leave the thread open in case anyone wants to try to appeal the deletion or discuss better states for a profile rewrite.

I think that we should close this thread soon then.

so what if we had a composite greg from his perspective from the universe kinda like composite homer from this thread just take everything greg says in the diarys as fact for this profile i think it would be neat if we did this for greg

The page Was built on his perspective. And took all he said for as a fact. they don't want to have the page though.

Agletonwiki said:
so what if we had a composite greg from his perspective from the universe kinda like composite homer from this thread just take everything greg says in the diarys as fact for this profile i think it would be neat if we did this for greg
Composite Homer isn't an actual profile on the site.

You can do whatever you want in your own sandboxes/blogs/threads, but there won't be a composite greg page.

I will close this thread, as the discussion seems to be finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back