• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War Yggdrasil Low 1-C Justification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't agree with you. It all depends it verse sets that kind of situation. For example a verse where history (universes) just keeps spreading without stopping, that verse can be treated as 2-B as there would likely be a finite set of universes before another one is branched out.

That verse is totally different for one where there is no end to the set of universe.

Both would be called endless but the first has set a limit for it self, while the other has no end
I didn't set up the tiering system myself so there is that.

Also I believe it also involved multiverse theories or something such as the Many Worlds Interpretation one as there are verses that has done that.

Yes, but in this case, we don't know if endless should always being treated as infinity and as such, it could also refer to as countless which is too many to count.
Also the dictionary posted by DarkDragon technically hold weight since we have to use which interpretation is the more appropriate or if both can been used ngl.
The same literally holds true for infinity. Both infinity and endless are literally synonyms and can both be used literally and hyperbolically

The tiering system doesn't really say anything thing about endless in respect to 2-B, as for High 1-B. It is treated as Infinite
Not to mention as far as I am aware, I thought we already doing the approach of how a verse treats its own cosmology and whatever or not there are inconsistencies and so on anyway in this wiki.

Now in regards to this, there are a few threads regarding the topic of endless like this one for instance: https://vsbattles.com/threads/difference-infinite-limitless-immeasurable-endless.115717/

Not to mention as far as I am aware, I thought we already doing the approach of how a verse treats its own cosmology and whatever or not there are inconsistencies and so on forth anyway in this wiki.

Now in regards to this, there are a few threads regarding the topic of endless like this one for instance: https://vsbattles.com/threads/difference-infinite-limitless-immeasurable-endless.115717/
Well that thread clearly mentions context. So there are times when endless and Infinite can be treated as same. It all depends on context.

I am fine with either case. Endless doesn't seem hyperbolic based on the statements so I would not have a problem with 2-A.

DDM seem to be fine with "At least 2-B, possibly 2-A".

Elizhaa and I are fine with either the above or just a flat-out "2-A" choice.

Glass is also apparently fine with either choice, but seems to prefer the "At least 2-B, likely 2-A" approach"

If there is a statement calling the timelines endless I see no reason to not have a flat out 2-A rating, unless we are going to initiate a mass downgrade of all 2-A verses to "2-B, possibly 2-A" because infinity can also be hyperbolic.

If there is a statement calling the timelines endless I see no reason to not have a flat out 2-A rating, unless we are going to initiate a mass downgrade of all 2-A verses to "2-B, possibly 2-A" because infinity can also be hyperbolic.
To being fair, endless can varied in context and if I not mistaken, we don’t typically use endless formal definition that comes from a dictionary as I think it can been used in a different meaning ie. Not strictly infinite all the time

Endless=Infinite unless proven otherwise. Infinite means endless, If this exact same statement said infinite nobody would have an issue. Both infinite and endless can be used as a figure of speech and not be used literally, it's not just endless. There's no need to be conservative and split hairs regarding a word that quite literally means "without end". If there was further context and it was being used as hyperbole, that would be a different conversation. It would be the exact same scenario if infinite was being used as hyperbole as well.

To being fair, endless can varied in context and if I not mistaken, we don’t typically use endless formal definition that comes from a dictionary as I think it can been used in a different meaning ie. Not strictly infinite all the time
Infinity can also vary with context. Endless and Infinity are literally synonyms. So, as I previously said, unless we are going to downgrade every single 2-A verse I see no point in a "possibly" eating.

Infinity can also vary with context. Endless and Infinity are literally synonyms. So, as I previously said, unless we are going to downgrade every single 2-A verse I see no point in a "possibly" eating.
Synonyms are simply words that have simply similar meanings, but that doesn’t mean they use the same meaning every time for that matter.

How would infinity and endless be different in this circumstance??
Why must one word but put under more unfair scrutiny then the other.
Because as far as I am aware, endless is kinda treat differently here rather than using the same definition for endless being used in a dictionary.

That reminds me in the dictionary I use, it can also been used to being described as a extreme large number as you forgetting about the fact that infinite is also used to describe a extremely large number and do keep in that mind, that would count as 2B if we used the latter rather than the former.

In any case, I not sure if this counts as derailing, but if it is, my apologies as it seems it might have stem from previous threads regarding the subject to begin with.

Synonyms are simply words that have simply similar meanings, but that doesn’t mean they use the same meaning every time for that matter.
Synonyms are words that have the exact same meaning or similar enough meaning that they can be used interchangeably in most contexts.

Though that's just a red herring. For this topic endless and infinity literally mean the exact same thing. Just look at how the word is structured (end+less). It follows from basic logic that saying there is an end would go against the meaning of the word, just like how saying there is a limit would go against the meaning of infinity. Yet both of these words can be and have been used hyperbolically.

Saying that there has to be some kind of distinction between the usage of endless and infinity in a vacuum is honestly super weird.

Synonyms are words that have the exact same meaning or similar enough meaning that they can be used interchangeably in most contexts.

Though th
While true, but at the same time, it does depend on context as usual as we can not ditch the other meanings of the same words just because one meaning is being favored over other especially in the case of infinity can also been used to being described as a extremely large number as shown in a online dictionary that listed the definitions for infinity like multiple times.

Anyway, I am pretty much neutral aside from that to begin with.

I am fine with either case. Endless doesn't seem hyperbolic based on the statements so I would not have a problem with 2-A.
At least 2-B, possibly 2-A sounds preferably imo.
DDM seem to be fine with "At least 2-B, possibly 2-A".

Elizhaa and I are fine with either the above or just a flat-out "2-A" choice.

Glass is also apparently fine with either choice, but seems to prefer the "At least 2-B, likely 2-A" approach"
Okay. It seems like "At least 2-B, likely 2-A" is the best compromise solution to apply here then.

While true, but at the same time, it does depend on context as usual as we can not ditch the other meanings of the same words just because one meaning is being favored over other especially in the case of infinity can also been used to being described as a extremely large number as shown in a online dictionary that listed the definitions for infinity like multiple times.
That's the whole point of what I have been saying. Both infinity and endless mean the same thing and can both be used hyperbolically. So unless you are willing to downgrade every 2-A verse to 2-B because infinity can be hyperbolic there is no need to go for 2-B here

Unless the reasons for this compromise are different from the whole "endless vs Infinity and hyperbole" thing, I think it's an absolutely unfair compromise unless similar standards are applied to every 2-A verse
It is mainly due to Yggdrasil has never mentioned the whole “endless possibilities” as I think in-game, the nine realms is shown and/or stated in there. And I mean GOW 2018 to being specific.

The first time endless possibilities is mentioned is from a different game in a mobile device setting.

It is mainly due to Yggdrasil has never mentioned the whole “endless possibilities” as I think in-game, the nine realms is shown and/or stated in there. And I mean GOW 2018 to being specific.

The first time endless possibilities is mentioned is from a different game in a mobile device setting.
That's irrelevant. The card game is fully canon and expands on Yggdrasil's scope.

That's irrelevant. The card game is fully canon and expands on Yggdrasil's scope.
I don’t see how it is irrelevant as the endless possibilities statement didn’t necessarily mention Yggdrasil if I gonna been honest. Only that the “endless possibilities” is mentioned and did anyone check the videos and the timestamp? It is confusing to say the least.

I don’t see how it is irrelevant as the endless possibilities statement didn’t necessarily mention Yggdrasil if I gonna been honest. Only that the “endless possibilities” is mentioned and did anyone check the videos and the timestamp? It is confusing to say the least.
If that was the case...IF...then the rating proposed would be 2C likely 2A....since we don't know where these endless timelines reside. So either Tree can be 9 realms or enless timelines.

Fortunately for us...this Blog states exactly why Yggdrasil encompasses the Well...which as mentioned in Card game...is a where endless possibilities statement for exists.
So we know where endless possibilities reside.
Thus..... solid 2A it is.

If that was the case...IF...then the rating proposed would be 2C likely 2A....since we don't know where these endless timelines reside. So either Tree can be 9 realms or enless timelines.

Fortunately for us...this Blog states exactly why Yggdrasil encompasses the Well...which as mentioned in Card game...is a where endless possibilities statement for exists.
So we know where endless possibilities reside.
Thus..... solid 2A it is.
The staff is leaning towards the “2B, likely 2A” part it seems.

Honestly we might need to make a thread regarding the standards of endless and infinity as it seems rather confusing ngl.

Something which I oppose.

Honestly there isn't any confusion as much as purely differences of opinions
Hmm checking, but Xenoblade has endless universes statements I think: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Pyra_(Xenoblade)
There is no need for that. Both words are quite literally synonyms and can both be used hyperbolically.
Hmmm I think this is more to akin to how the wiki treats endless and infinity ngl so I am disagreeing with that as it is rather important in this case.

Not gonna lie. I not sure why we keeping on insisting it to being “without end” when the second definition is referred to numerous and numerous in the dictionary does mean many. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/numerously

However, at this point, I think we kinda derailing with this kind of talk ngl
So does infinite have secondary definitions which deviate from its primary meaning.

Problem wasn't with just it being not taken literally...but also that infinite is in same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back