• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

That's just jank.

Just by virtue of being the Valkyrie Queen she should be superior to Sigrun and holding-back Kratos, as well as being somewhat comparable to Odin even when he has all her powers and knows her weaknesses.
Should add that she ripped off parts of the world tree and stabbed Nidhogg in the head a bunch of times

I really love his beard and build, just miss the cloak and hood (added a great tradesman vibe to him) and I wouldn't mind seeing it back as a mod
Me too. He looked really intimidating in 2018. He still does in Ragnarok, but in 2018, his face was barely visible, dressed in all black and is like ******* 8 feet tall.

He didn't even wear his cloak in Ragnarok lol that sucked, considering he wore it in the trailers.

It also sucked that Kratos cloak couldn't be worn despite the marketing and it being on the ******* cover. I wanted to pair it with Kratos' other armor sets.
I'm also thinking, should Atreus even scale to Kratos at this point? I'm thinking a split rating might be best
To an extent, yes. He fought a holding back Kratos in bear form. And he ripped a Valkyrie apart.
Yeah I was very confused why they used Hercules instead of Heracles
More people are familiar with his Roman name. In most adaptations of Greek mythology, he's called Hercules.

I'm ignorant on the downgrade and on most of the verse at whole
How come this
(The World Tree completely encompasses and is ever-present throughout all of the Norse Realms[1]; the only things outside its reach are other Pantheons' domains, such as the realms ruled by the Greek Gods, etcetera. The Well of Destiny, Urd, which was stated to contain endless[3] possible timelines and realities[4][5][6], is just[8] part[1] of Yggdrasil, whose mere branches alone simultaneously encompass and transcend the concepts of space and time altogether[9], and view all the 9 realms they encompass[10][7] which are separate space[11]-time[12] continuums, as well as the endless number of possible timelines and realities within the Well of Destiny, as merely infinitesimal points[7] in its existence, with the branches of the tree itself stretching out to infinity[13] beyond space and time)
Isn't at least 2-A?

feel like it's game mechanics. no way it deconstructed thor but not them
Kratos got stabbed a few times too in actual scripted scenes akin to QTEs but not quite, but he already resists Deconstruction from Poseidon and the Light of Alfheim so it'd be bordering on redundancy, plus Poseidon's stronger anyway via backscaling so...

I would say it wasn't actually deconstruction and just Thor having a unique death animation
That's a very good point. The Greek Gods had unique death animations themselves, save for Hera but their deaths usually left drastic repercussions on the Mortal World and Underworld, especially for Hera where the entire world just withered and died out.

Wait... so how is this scaling chain?

Thor > Regular Kratos ~ Baldur ~ Jormungandr ~ Kratos?

Endgame GOW3 Pre-Hope Kratos (Full package) >>>>> Not-holding back, full-power Ragnarok Kratos = Endgame GOW3 Pre-Hope Kratos (Physically, no hax) > Thor = Jormi > Holding back Kratos > Baldur
Alright, thank you

Jorm and Thor have their own feats.

Baldur just backscales from Kratos?

I mean, while that on its own at the bare minimum would mean Low 1-C at the bare minimum because that visible superiority very much exists and you're right, it hasn't been contradicted by Ragnarok whatsoever, people just consider it too vague ATM and most certainly won't accept the Facebook interpretation of it to begin with for obvious reasons (The Low 1-C aspect is a much more viable option here than 1-B or even High 1-B TBF). So this is kind of what we're stuck with at the moment unless we get more opportunities about that Mask/Green Rift thing.

Bear in Mind I still buy the idea of higher-dimensional Athena because that side of the argument has blatant existential superiority attached to it and Kratos could only do a damn thing by using PoH, so I buy into the matter that in some shape or form Tier 1 most likely exists in GoW, we just haven't fully seen other stuff that could allow such a distinction to happen, and that the mask and the Green Rift are somehow key to achieving it.
It's fine if you don't accept the Facebook post's interpretation and Cory's 2 confirmations on it, but how is Yggdrasil transcending the concepts of Space and Time vague AT ALL?

Read the mail again. Cory definitively confirms that Freya was talking about the literal concepts of Time and Space when she said that the Yggdrasil transcends them, and that makes sense contextually as well.

I personally would put the Yggdrasil at "low 1-C, possibly higher" without the card game stuff just on the basis of that. The "possibly higher" is due to Cory's 2 confirmations on the Facebook post and the fact that transcending the abstractions of Space and Time could be higher. Even if we don't go for the "possibly higher" rating, low 1-C is inevitable.

And at the same time a very real possibility because of all those futures he saw in 'Nam.
Can’t wait for Kratos to fight trees speaking Vietnamese
Yeah. His strikes did incap Jormi, but temporarily. Jormi was back into action right after Atreus called him in the final leg of the fight.
yep, something like how we treat MCU Goblin works
Me too. He looked really intimidating in 2018. He still does in Ragnarok, but in 2018, his face was barely visible, dressed in all black and is like ******* 8 feet tall.

He didn't even wear his cloak in Ragnarok lol that sucked, considering he wore it in the trailers.
Yeah I miss it, imagine seeing the eyes glare through the hood when he uses lightning
It also sucked that Kratos cloak couldn't be worn despite the marketing and it being on the ******* cover. I wanted to pair it with Kratos' other armor sets.
Bro the Unity set with the cloak would be bad as ****
To an extent, yes. He fought a holding back Kratos in bear form. And he ripped a Valkyrie apart.
Thing is that’s via bear form specifically not his base
Imo he needs that noted specifically
More people are familiar with his Roman name. In most adaptations of Greek mythology, he's called Hercules.
True

It's fine if you don't accept the Facebook post's interpretation and Cory's 2 confirmations on it, but how is Yggdrasil transcending the concepts of Space and Time vague AT ALL?

Read the mail again. Cory definitively confirms that Freya was talking about the literal concepts of Time and Space when she said that the Yggdrasil transcends them, and that makes sense contextually as well.

I personally would put the Yggdrasil at "low 1-C, possibly higher" without the card game stuff just on the basis of that. The "possibly higher" is due to Cory's 2 confirmations on the Facebook post and the fact that transcending the abstractions of Space and Time could be higher. Even if we don't go for the "possibly higher" rating, low 1-C is inevitable.
Proof of Existential Superiority is normally required for stuff like this. While I don't doubt the email being real, right now only Freya's word of mouth is there to imply this. Perhaps with some future DLC or secondary canon content like guidebooks and artbooks to further explain the superiority stuff and the Mask and the Green Rift, if they also mention the tree being literally superior to both space and time, maybe then we can take a look at Tier 1 GOW once again. Ragnarok promised to answer the questions but instead left people asking even more questions. We already lost the card game as viable evidence so we're kind of back to Square 1 here.

Reason it's vague is because of the word "transcend". That's the main issue. It can mean literally anything, though I myself have tried to no avail, to use this as proof of superior existence. The cycles were the only remaining hope, but even that wasn't enough to warrant Low 1-C on its own without further proof. If it was more blatant like Athena literally blurting that her sacrifice literally brought her to a higher existence.

Because after all, this won't just affect Norse. This will affect the entire franchise and ultimately bring Athena into the spotlight once again.

Last edited:
Back