• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

It's funny how the Yggdrasil has a statement by Freya of it transcending the abstract conceptions of Space and Time (which was re-affirmed by Cory on mail), yet still it'd only get the 2-C rating at best.

does Egyptian myth has cosmology that involve higher-dimension or involve some mathematical dimension ?

we know that there are egyptian math and geography
Math, no.

Higher-dimension could be argued based on "thought" and "heart", which would apply to the entity that resides in chaos. Non of the normal gods transcend time by necessity, as time is part of Ma'at, being given meaning by Ra. Even Ra must abide by Ma'at, as it is his role to uphold time with his journey in the skies of the living world and the Duat.

And that's if you interpret these things literally.

It's funny how the Yggdrasil has a statement by Freya of it transcending the abstract conceptions of Space and Time (which was re-affirmed by Cory on mail), yet still it'd only get the 2-C rating at best.
Yeah well, that's the fickle thing with Tier 1 BS. If it had even one reference in the game or secondary canon, we'd be immediately making the jump.

NHrSb9G-RMP6y_NFLuyEztWcwjQbc2C7_jPD0_JTxTAWnMVu1PG6jx_8FiHOTkV2HB6BzlhfpDxh5vE=s800-c-fcrop64=1,435e0000bca1ffff-nd-v1
IyUVgTvEZOKAPQ-14Odso1qi6PtvaYknabOX0q9UbJ5sMfPrLqxwsC4_6UZTpa3hYs-T_mNKgxaa=s800-c-fcrop64=1,435e0000bca1ffff-nd-v1

cUq_9N050VeyQMbGUtCNlMl0Fq183rYf1Eky-_mmxNUWpbISGLZ7MZUYZWyavAc0IJzwcTCMcB0pJQ=s800-c-fcrop64=1,435e0000bca1ffff-nd-v1

Odin mask. It has Greek, Japanese/Chinese, Vedic Sanskrit (Hindu) and Egyptian hieroglyphs

Yeah well, that's the fickle thing with Tier 1 BS. If it had even one reference in the game or secondary canon, we'd be immediately making the jump.
Just because Ragnarok doesn't talk about the Yggdrasil transcending the abstractions of Time and Space, we can't use it? That makes no sense t.b.h. The 2018 game had Freya saying that the Yggdrasil transcends Time and Space (and she was definitely talking about the abstract concepts there contextually as in the same piece of dialogue she mentioned other concepts such as Life, Death, Fate, Rebirth, etc.). This was only reaffirmed by Cory on mail. Ragnarok doesn't retcon this, so why can't we use the 2018 statement and Cory's confirmation for the Yggdrasil?

Just because Ragnarok doesn't talk about the Yggdrasil transcending the abstractions of Time and Space, we can't use it? That makes no sense t.b.h. The 2018 game had Freya saying that the Yggdrasil transcends Time and Space (and she was definitely talking about the abstract concepts there contextually as in the same piece of dialogue she mentioned other concepts such as Life, Death, Fate, Rebirth, etc.). This was only reaffirmed by Cory on mail. Ragnarok doesn't retcon this, so why can't we use the 2018 statement and Cory's confirmation for the Yggdrasil?
I mean, while that on its own at the bare minimum would mean Low 1-C at the bare minimum because that visible superiority very much exists and you're right, it hasn't been contradicted by Ragnarok whatsoever, people just consider it too vague ATM and most certainly won't accept the Facebook interpretation of it to begin with for obvious reasons (The Low 1-C aspect is a much more viable option here than 1-B or even High 1-B TBF). So this is kind of what we're stuck with at the moment unless we get more opportunities about that Mask/Green Rift thing.

Bear in Mind I still buy the idea of higher-dimensional Athena because that side of the argument has blatant existential superiority attached to it and Kratos could only do a damn thing by using PoH, so I buy into the matter that in some shape or form Tier 1 most likely exists in GoW, we just haven't fully seen other stuff that could allow such a distinction to happen, and that the mask and the Green Rift are somehow key to achieving it.

Bear in Mind I still buy the idea of higher-dimensional Athena because that side of the argument has blatant existential superiority attached to it and Kratos could only do a damn thing by using PoH, so I buy into the matter that in some shape or form Tier 1 most likely exists in GoW, we just haven't fully seen other stuff that could allow such a distinction to happen, and that the mask and the Green Rift are somehow key to achieving it.
Yeah me too. So would this mean that Athena is the most powerful Character in the series outside of Hope Kratos and Fear Zeus? Is she even more powerful than Current Kratos and Norse Gods?
I'm more willing to bet that this is a key to obtaining that higher existence that Athena was yapping about where she "saw truths that she couldn't before".
Definitely that as well. Or both perhaps. It could also be a gateway to the wider God of war Cosmology.
Athena is plotting and scheming to keep Kratos from dying in a way that would allow him to ascend to a higher existence while slowly putting him in situations where he would cause the apocalypse of a pantheon to occur which somehow further's her agenda.
Interesting theory.

Athena is plotting and scheming to keep Kratos from dying in a way that would allow him to ascend to a higher existence while slowly putting him in situations where he would cause the apocalypse of a pantheon to occur which somehow further's her agenda.
That and Athena doesn't want Kratos coming anywhere near her because he'd be the only one to effectively fold her if he ever got there via his selfless sacrifice and she got scared shitless when Kratos came close to doing so with a Hope-empowered BoO so she cursed him to a deathless Immortality instead.

Yeah me too. So would this mean that Athena is the most powerful Character in the series outside of Hope Kratos and Fear Zeus? Is she even more powerful than Current Kratos and Norse Gods?
Yes

Definitely that as well. Or both perhaps. It could also be a gateway to the wider God of war Cosmology.
Both. Definitely both. Maybe even the latter as well.

Interesting theory.
Well we already know Kratos has checked all the boxes to achieve the ascendance to that higher existence: He sacrificed himself to save humanity in one last act of redemption because his hatred for the gods was just that massive. Even when his vengeance was complete he was not going to let a God make things go back to what they once were nor was he going to let the very god that made his life this miserable to the point of betrayal to have the last laugh either.

Honestly, seeing The Mask having the marking of multiple pantheons on it puts a smile on my face.

A part of me thinks that the mask exists as a method to ascend to that higher plane while sidestepping the necessary selfless sacrifice, which as we can all tell is something Odin is fundamentally incapable of. Athena likely subtly manipulated Kratos into coming into contact with Odin and stopping his plans, preventing him from reaching that level of existence himself to limit any competition she may have for her agenda.

So why did Athena just randomly turn into a Tyrant? She always had Kratos' back and wanted to Erase his nightmares. I've never liked the plot point for her to want to rule the world. Maybe this plane of existence she's on is corrupting her? Or maybe it's Pandora's box?

So why did Athena just randomly turn into a Tyrant? She always had Kratos' back and wanted to Erase his nightmares. I've never liked the plot point for her to want to rule the world. Maybe this plane of existence she's on is corrupting her? Or maybe it's Pandora's box?
My theory was that rather than Athena coming back, a being from that plane is using her visage to manipulate Kratos' actions. Alternatively, the "truths" she saw likely massively shifted her world view and she viewed control over the various pantheons as the best way forward. Considering Hope is one of the only powers in the setting capable of making her feel fear and killing her, she most definitely was obsessed with having it at hand.

probably one of the evils and that is greed but she didn't show any obivous signs of being corrupted and no abnormal behavior.

Bad writing

the idea is when she ascended to the Higher Plane she found the power there and was corrupted somehow, I’m willing to bet there’s a higher, existential knowledge too.

I imagine Odin was hoping to gain some knowledge from there as well, either to start off his fate or simply gain the knowledge for its own sake.

also Mimir knows Nimue from Arthur’s legends (specifically she made the best blades in the British Isles) and he knows the tale of Oedipus Rex somehow.

The power corrupted her, as Cory Barlog himself stated numerous times.

also Mimir knows Nimue from Arthur’s legends (specifically she made the best blades in the British Isles) and he knows the tale of Oedipus Rex somehow.
since it's confirmed that mimir is Puck, and where do you think AMND took place in? Greece. also note that he was a traveler of mythologies, so he matbe got that knowledge when he went to Birtain.

Last edited:
My theory was that rather than Athena coming back, a being from that plane is using her visage to manipulate Kratos' actions. Alternatively, the "truths" she saw likely massively shifted her world view and she viewed control over the various pantheons as the best way forward. Considering Hope is one of the only powers in the setting capable of making her feel fear and killing her, she most definitely was obsessed with having it at hand.
I could definitely see this.
probably one of the evils and that is greed but she didn't show any obivous signs of being corrupted and no abnormal behavior.
This too.
Bad writing
I think so. As much as I love GOW 3, I feel it had the weakest story.
the idea is when she ascended to the Higher Plane she found the power there and was corrupted somehow, I’m willing to bet there’s a higher, existential knowledge too
Was it the power itself that corrupted her? Or did just get to her head?
I imagine Odin was hoping to gain some knowledge from there as well, either to start off his fate or simply gain the knowledge for its own sake.
And the mask is likely connected to Athena's Higher existence?
also Mimir knows Nimue from Arthur’s legends (specifically she made the best blades in the British Isles) and he knows the tale of Oedipus Rex somehow
Yes, I've seen those conversations. I've always wondered this. Wasn't it stated somewhere that all the pantheons are aware of each other's existence? I remember that being stated somewhere.
The power corrupted her, as Cory Barlog himself stated numerous times.
So would Kratos get corrupted and go back to his old ways if ascended to this higher existence?

Shit that is interesting to consider, if the play is set in Athens that implies Mimir has been there
also note, i looked up where AMND takes place just in case, and it's the court of Athens and the nearby woods, where things get strange after eating psychedelic substances.

also note, i looked up where AMND takes place just in case, and it's the court of Athens and the nearby woods, where things get strange after eating psychedelic substances.
Yep I saw that too. So that means Mimir has been to at least three pantheons himself (Greek, Celtic and Norse), likely Egyptian as well

Was it the power itself that corrupted her? Or did just get to her head?
Both.

And the mask is likely connected to Athena's Higher existence?
Most likely so. Odin was obsessing over its capability to show him the truth about life's origins.

Yes, I've seen those conversations. I've always wondered this. Wasn't it stated somewhere that all the pantheons are aware of each other's existence? I remember that being stated somewhere.
Yeah, they are. Egypt is all playing good with Athena now even.

So would Kratos get corrupted and go back to his old ways if ascended to this higher existence?
He'd prolly be a worse monster, but either way first thing he would do is clap back at Athena and remove her out of the equation entirely because of what she did to him.

Back