• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

We have already, the Norse Blog currently in use already states that time doesn't move the same between the realms.
That in itself isn't enough proof though, even in our own universe, regions with different time flows aren't exactly nonexistent.

We should probably add the statement they're alternate planes of existence from the 2018 novelization and explain how they're isolated from one another on the Yggdrasil, which is transcendent of space-time and thus, wouldn't have an overarching timeline that encompasses the Nine Realms.

That in itself isn't enough proof though, even in our own universe, regions with different time flows aren't exactly nonexistent.
I know. I assumed that you were talking about whether the time portion was added and I assumed that you already knew about the alternate planes thing was in the blog day 1.

We should probably add the statement they're alternate planes of existence from the 2018 novelization and explain how they're isolated from one another on the Yggdrasil, which is transcendent of space-time and thus, wouldn't have an overarching timeline that encompasses the Nine Realms.
All of that... is there tho. Time flowing differently isn't the only piece of evidence, in fact, it comes explicitly after the whole alternate planes of existence part.

Not for the Greek side, no, because she doesn't know the whole truth about Kratos's spat with Athena and just how powerful the Great Evils and Hope were. You don't lose powers in Greece that easily unless they are forcibly taken away from you. Case in point, Ares.
well yes that is true

yeah i get it, but before even that kratos equipment already got destroyed/nullified by fear zeus
Most of those equipment didn't carry the other powers that Kratos had.

Blades of Exile is rudimentary fire that Kratos still has in the form of Spartan Rage and in the Blades of Chaos.

Nemean Cestus is just Shockwave Manip.

Nemesis Whip replaces Cronos's Rage, a Titan Power Up that Kratos hasn't exactly lost in the sense of the word.

Claws of Hades is the only thing that's noteworthy of here because this is how he gains access to all the powers of Hades by literally taking his soul and power for himself.

visual representation actually show each realms are isolated.

Blades of Exile is rudimentary fire that Kratos still has in the form of Spartan Rage and in the Blades of Chaos.

Nemesis Whip replaces Cronos's Rage, a Titan Power Up that Kratos hasn't exactly lost in the sense of the word.

Claws of Hades is the only thing that's noteworthy of here because this is how he gains access to all the powers of Hades by literally taking his soul and power for himself.
oh yeah i agree, previous equipment from previous GoW Game got nullified during PoH stuff. Make sense

Anyway, the realms being physically separate from each other is already mentioned in the blog, in fact, it's the first aspect of the Nine Realms that is explored in detail in the blog before the time portion ever comes up as an afterthought, even the whole "transcending space and time" thing comes before "time doesn't flow the same" statement.

Ragnarok cements this even further, seeing as how Asgard's destruction has no sway over the past, present and future of the other realms and confirms the Realm Tears to be a threat to individual realms only and not all of them, and how you cannot travel between the realms through sheer physical speed alone even if you are on the branches of the tree directly, you still need to open gateways with Bifrost energy to access the realms.

so POH Kratos has fate manip nullification huh ?

so POH Kratos has fate manip nullification huh ?
GOW2 Kratos already nullified Fate Manip even before reaching the Temple with his newly-developed will, man literally had no idea that he had just cheated death yet again, he just kept walking as if nothing happened to him when they cut off his Thread of Fate. Fate was destroyed just before GOW3 begins because the Sisters were killed.

visual representation actually show each realms are isolated.
Isolation one it's own isn't a factor, since physically separate dimensions can share a time dimension.

The blog looks good but how do we address Thor's feat of sending Jormugandr back in time? Since the World Serpent is sent to the past of all the Nine Realms, not just Asgard's.

Which is either a contradiction or implies that the Yggdrasil is a timeline that binds other timelines as space-times within it, which is Low 1-C.

GOW2 Kratos already nullified Fate Manip even before reaching the Temple with his newly-developed will, man literally had no idea that he had just cheated death yet again, he just kept walking as if nothing happened to him when they cut off his Thread of Fate. Fate was destroyed just before GOW3 begins because the Sisters were killed.
how about the time-travel thing ? that is POH kratos nullified, right ?

Man reading through this thread made me realize how cool and thematic a fight between Greek Kratos and The Fateless One from Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning would be (his current profile is super ass though, homie's missing so many abilities, resistances and his just overall scaling is just beyond downplayed)

Man reading through this thread made me realize how cool and thematic a fight between Kratos and The Fateless One from Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning would be (his current profile is super ass though, homie's missing so many abilities, resistances and his just overall scaling is just beyond downplayed)
played that game on PS3, that game is super amazing.

Isolation one it's own isn't a factor, since physically separate dimensions can share a time dimension.
I have noticed. Though it's really a combination of isolation + separate flow of time that make it count.

The blog looks good but how do we address Thor's feat of sending Jormugandr back in time? Since the World Serpent is sent to the past of all the Nine Realms, not just Asgard's.
The snake doesn't end up in Asgard, but in Midgard.

Which is either a contradiction or implies that the Yggdrasil is a timeline that binds other timelines as space-times within it, which is Low 1-C.
Well, Bruno did say that Yggdrasil was always the strong bond of the 9 Realms, though I am not sure whether any of this means much to obtain Tier 1 without claims of existential superiority.

Though on the Greek side it's even murkier.

Kratos explicitly states that the Thread of Fate span all life and time, and he manages to travel back to the past of the Underworld using his thread alone, to Tartarus, to teleport the Titans.

However, he only succeeds in changing the past of the Mortal World (Though this would violate the loop that Kratos has to go through to make GOW3 exist, as he has saved the Spartans and the Last Spartan which completely robs him of the need to come back from the dead or to obtain the power ups of the Titans, and there'd be no one left to kill since the Sisters are dead throughout all time, but Kratos drowns them in Poseidon's death flood nevertheless leaving himself as his only target), but the Underworld's past does not change when he does something this severe of an act like this, nor does it change the past of the Mortal World (The Great War forged the landscape of the Mortal World from Tartarus below), worse still, it also does not even change the future of the Underworld as the plaque outside Tartarus still notes of the overwhelming Olympian victory over the Titans (If they didn't win, Thera would never be there to give Kratos the Bane, and Poseidon is visibly pissed about Atlantis's destruction, Persephone is still very ******* dead, Helios remembers Kratos saving him from Atlas and Hades remembers Kratos killing Persephone).

Physical travel between the realms in Greece is also impossible without portals (Case in point, Nyx's dimension and Thanatos's Domain of Death where time apparently does not even exist to begin with), BFR (Falling down from the Mortal World into the Underworld) or those tears in the fabric of space that are used to connect the Great Chain of Balance between the Underworld and Olympus.

I have noticed. Though it's really a combination of isolation + separate flow of time that make it count.
That would work usually. And while I agree, I can see someone making the point that the binding structure between them is the Yggdrasil (sort of like how Universe 7 in Dragon Ball Super encompasses multiple dimensions).
The snake doesn't end up in Asgard, but in Midgard.
Which is part of why I made the point. For separate space-time continuums, Jormugandr should've showed in Asgard's past not the past time of all the Nine Realms.
Well, Bruno did say that Yggdrasil was always the strong bond of the 9 Realms, though I am not sure whether any of this means much to obtain Tier 1 without claims of existential superiority.
You don't actually need the statement of existential superiority for Tier 1 if its demonstrated via feats, which are the main point. If Yggdrasil is a timeline that treats space-time continuums as objects embedded in it then it'd have uncountably infinite snapshots of time, with each moment having its own Nine Realms, which is Low 1-C.

The only alternative is that the main timeline is the Yggdrasil and it has multiple parallel dimensions within it with different time flows (something similar to Universe 7 in Dragon Ball Super again), making it Low 2-C.

Not opposed to or advocating it just yet, or pointing this out.

Like, the new tiers or AP description?
Abilities
Though on the Greek side it's even murkier.

Kratos explicitly states that the Thread of Fate span all life and time, and he manages to travel back to the past of the Underworld using his thread alone, to Tartarus, to teleport the Titans.

However, he only succeeds in changing the past of the Mortal World, but the Underworld's past does not change when he does something of an act like this, nor does it change the past of the Mortal World (The Great War forged the landscape of the Mortal World from Tartarus below), worse still, it also does not even change the future of the Underworld as the plaque outside Tartarus still notes of the overwhelming Olympian victory over the Titans (If they didn't win, Thera would never be there to give Kratos the Bane, and Poseidon is visibly pissed about Atlantis's destruction, Persephone is still very ******* dead, Helios remembers Kratos saving him from Atlas and Hades remembers Kratos killing Persephone).
hmm yeah I never got this, Daedalus seems to be unaffected too
So there’s one little thing that’s been bothering me, it’s shown that Ingrid is able to withstand Ragnarok’s shockwave, what is Ingrid made of ?
likely metal but imbued with the magical protections afforded by the Vanir spells
id note this immunity is gone when he’s merged with Fenrir and this could use dimensional travel
The yggdrasil should be some tier higher than 2-C but I'm not sure.

A structure that completely transcends space-time and exists everywhere that supports 9 infinite-sized universes with their own unique space-times sounds like something far beyond 2-C
are the realms each infinite?
Creation is not needed. That's just giving birth.
Yep
He also has Ice and Fire manipulation, Paralysis inducement, Multilocation Type 1 due to his Ravens, Non-physical interaction of course, Superhuman Physical Characteristics of course, Levitation, Self-Sustenance 1 and 2, and can use some sort of spell that puts the blind effect on Kratos.
absorption too; notice how the ravens return to his tattoos
The only alternative is that the main timeline is the Yggdrasil and it has multiple parallel dimensions within it with different time flows (something similar to Universe 7 in Dragon Ball Super again), making it Low 2-C.

time dilation is possible too, perhaps placement within Yggdrasil has an influence on how time is experienced

That would work usually. And while I agree, I can see someone making the point that the binding structure between them is the Yggdrasil (sort of like how Universe 7 in Dragon Ball Super encompasses multiple dimensions).

Which is part of why I made the point. For separate space-time continuums, Jormugandr should've showed in Asgard's past not the past time of all the Nine Realms.

You don't actually need the statement of existential superiority for Tier 1 if its demonstrated via feats, which are the main point. If Yggdrasil is a timeline that treats space-time continuums as objects embedded in it then it'd have uncountably infinite snapshots of time, with each moment having its own Nine Realms, which is Low 1-C.

well the problems is yggdrasil isn't timeline.

Daedalus isn't within the Underworld, he's still within the Mortal World AKA Olympus. And his events mostly involve Pandora's Box, which happen within the Mortal World in GOW1.

AFAIK, no, but the tree itself.

time dilation is possible too, perhaps placement within Yggdrasil has an influence on how time is experienced
Or perhaps the Tree can send you back to one other realm's specific past if you know where to hit.

Abilities
Ah, I see.
To be honest, I feel like that's just a minor oversight.
It's never stated as far as I'm aware.
Indeed. Though, it would mean the top Norse Gods and those on their level would be Low 2-C purely from their own scaling if the whole Thor and Jorm feat isn't explained.
well the problems is yggdrasil isn't timeline.
Considering that what Thor does implies there's a general past, present and future encompassing the realms, it likely is.

Ah, I see.

To be honest, I feel like that's just a minor oversight.

It's never stated as far as I'm aware.

Indeed. Though, it would mean the top Norse Gods and those on their level would be Low 2-C purely from their own scaling if the whole Thor and Jorm feat isn't explained.

Considering that what Thor does implies there's a general past, present and future encompassing the realms, it likely is.
indirect implication can have multiple interpretation. If we ask bruno, cory, or matt i believe they would disagree that yggdrasil is timeline.

indirect implication can have multiple interpretation. If we ask bruno, cory, or matt i believe they would disagree that yggdrasil is timeline.
We specifically aren't supposed to bother authors with questions for scaling purposes. And even then, their disagreement will largely be from the fact that one isn't likely going to think about whether or not Yggdrasil is a timeline if they aren't already in the mindset of trying to figure out it's nature for battleboarding purposes.

Doesn't Universe 7 have multiple branching timelines within it? I assume that's why the individual numbered universes are considered 2-C structures. Might be wrong tho.

Something tells me that Yggdrasil's structure can allow to travel back to other realms' past if you know where to hit.

Though the problem is, Yggdrasil isn't a timeline and nor is it treated like one, and Freya explicitly states the tree to transcend time and space itself, which on its own doesn't mean much but the Green Rift thing left Odin asking for more.

You don't actually need the statement of existential superiority for Tier 1 if its demonstrated via feats, which are the main point.
Hmmmm. Weird.

If Yggdrasil is a timeline that treats space-time continuums as objects embedded in it then it'd have uncountably infinite snapshots of time, with each moment having its own Nine Realms, which is Low 1-C.
It does treat the cycle of life, death and rebirth as something that would eventually return to the tree anyway, but not sure if that on its own is enough to support Freya's statement.

The problem is that Yggdrasil isn't a timeline to begin with, nor is it treated as such. Kratos completely uprooted the first part of the prophecy while making the latter part of Groa's actual prophecy and forging it with his own ending.

That and Mimir also said that prophecy didn't count on Kratos and that he accelerated Ragnarok 100 years in advance.

Hmmmm.

Again tho, the World Tree isn't treated as a timeline with multiple dimensions within it, but as something much higher than them.

I'm not sure, the Realm Tears threaten the fabric of space and time (Referred to as "Fabric of Reality") of the individual realms and not the other realms or of Yggdrasil. If it did, all the realms including Yggdrasil itself would be at risk of being consumed completely.

Last edited:
We specifically aren't supposed to bother authors with questions for scaling purposes. And even then, their disagreement will largely be from the fact that one isn't likely going to think about whether or not Yggdrasil is a timeline if they aren't already in the mindset of trying to figure out it's nature for battleboarding purposes.
AFAIK when Bruno was shown the card game scan of "endless future possibilities" he responded with alternate timelines in Norse being a possible scenario and then showed that alternate timeline of Ares killing Kratos but the Well of Urd is just a random ass lake in Ragnarok so IDK.

He also has Ice and Fire manipulation, Paralysis inducement, Multilocation Type 1 due to his Ravens, Non-physical interaction of course, Superhuman Physical Characteristics of course, Levitation, Self-Sustenance 1 and 2, and can use some sort of spell that puts the blind effect on Kratos.
He should have also Energy Projection and Vibration Manipulation.

Back