• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

After 20 hours I've finally made it to asgard. There's some pretty solid memory manipulation stuff for Odin, the codex entry on Huginn & Muninn says they only serve Odin because he erased their memories, and when the Einherjar come out of Valhalla they don't have most of their memories so Odin blesses them with the memory of who there were.

Trolls being 2-C is just a massive stretch. Mattugr Helson is the only exception to this, but even then he'd be very low rung, got fodderized by early BoC Kratos in 2018.
Hence why I suggest “X Tier, at most 2-C”. We put focus on the actual objective feats they have but mention the fact they have some higher stuff
I don’t care much for the placement tho so Idk

I could see a “possibly higher” working better with “At Most” being reserved for Mattugr
I remember that they made Kratos shorter for the new Norse games. Is there an in-universe reason to why Norse Kratos is shorter?
he isn’t, in Helheim he’s the same height as his younger self

the 6:4 is just a retcon honestly
After 20 hours I've finally made it to asgard. There's some pretty solid memory manipulation stuff for Odin, the codex entry on Huginn & Muninn says they only serve Odin because he erased their memories, and when the Einherjar come out of Valhalla they don't have most of their memories so Odin blesses them with the memory of who there were.
saw that too, add Memory manipulation to Odin and potentially Freya
Are atreus' new arrows implosion manipulation or something else?
I think sound manipulation but I may be wrong
Full temple should be 100 times heavier or slightly more IMHO
likely is, I agree
Especially since he flipped the damn thing

Trolls have some insane feats. One could hold down kratos as stated in novelisation. Even ogres could be that strong.

Hence why I suggest “X Tier, at most 2-C”. We put focus on the actual objective feats they have but mention the fact they have some higher stuff
I don’t care much for the placement tho so Idk

I could see a “possibly higher” working better with “At Most” being reserved for Mattugr
Possibly higher for fodder trolls and Mattugr scaling within 2-C but way, way below Kratos seems fair at a fair glance.

he isn’t, in Helheim he’s the same height as his younger self
Mostly to accomodate for the new Mocap. But again, Greek Kratos in the novel was explicitly stated to be far more muscular than his Norse self.

He also didn't have his Blades of Exile either, so as to help newcomers accomodate.

the 6:4 is just a retcon honestly
No, the 6ft 4in thing is a mocap thing. Novel states that Greek Kratos was far buffer. He'd still remain 7ft 8in. Sad day for Norse Kratos I guess.

saw that too, add Memory manipulation to Odin and potentially Freya
Sure.

I think sound manipulation but I may be wrong
Both.

Possibly higher for fodder trolls and Mattugr scaling within 2-C but way, way below Kratos seems fair at a fair glance.
Agreed, Travelers likely get the same rating as Trolls
Mostly to accomodate for the new Mocap. But again, Greek Kratos in the novel was explicitly stated to be far more muscular than his Norse self.

He also didn't have his Blades of Exile either, so as to help newcomers accomodate.
Tbh I’m convinced Chaos and Athena’s Blades are just the same thing
No, the 6ft 4in thing is a mocap thing. Novel states that Greek Kratos was far buffer. He'd still remain 7ft 8in. Sad day for Norse Kratos I guess.
Mass and definition don’t mean anything for height tho, 6:4 is also the most consistent height
He’s stated as such by BTS, Thor is “7 foot something” according to Ryan Hearst and Tyr is canonically 8:5 as per marketing

kratos being 6:4 isn’t just a mocap thing, it just lines up and makes more sense then everyone around him just being 7 foot+ (especially considering the normal humans like Skjoldr clearly aren’t insanely tall)
Mimir also suspects Odin imbues an “undying loyalty” when he does this so add Mind Manipulation
Bet, Freya has the same
So imo hers should be
Powers and skills (maybe equipment as it’s own thing?)
Seidr Magic
Resistances

Mass and definition don’t mean anything for height tho, 6:4 is also the most consistent height
He’s stated as such by BTS, Thor is “7 foot something” according to Ryan Hearst and Tyr is canonically 8:5 as per marketing

kratos being 6:4 isn’t just a mocap thing, it just lines up and makes more sense then everyone around him just being 7 foot+ (especially considering the normal humans like Skjoldr clearly aren’t insanely tall)
Kratos did heve size manipulation in greek era. He could have became smaller. Hell, even he states he lost all magic from his world. He could of shrank.

Tbh I’m convinced Chaos and Athena’s Blades are just the same thing
Unfortunately, no. They're not.

Mass and definition don’t mean anything for height tho,
In this case it visibly does.
6:4 is also the most consistent height

Only applies to Norse. Greek Kratos was explicitly stated by the devs to actually be taller in the Greek games, with a different body model, height value in meters and all, with comic-booky proportions.

Kind of doesn't. Even in Greek Era majority of peeps were more or less taller than him, Zeus certainly towered over him even in base. It would also contradict the Greek Pantheon's larger-than-life appearance in contrast with Norse's more humanized approach.

Mimir also suspects Odin imbues an “undying loyalty” when he does this so add Mind Manipulation
Empathic Manip too I suppose.

Bet, Freya has the same
Aye.

So imo hers should be
Powers and skills (maybe equipment as it’s own thing?)
No. Equipment stays with Powers and Abilities.

Seidr Magic
Resistances
Ye

Kratos did heve size manipulation in greek era. He could have became smaller. Hell, even he states he lost all magic from his world. He could of shrank.
Kratos only had it until he lost his Godly powers after draining them into the Blade of Olympus. But even ignoring that, his Greek body model was just built different from Norse.

That being said, the 7ft 8in height whould be explicitly kept for Greek Kratos and other Greek Era peeps who are the same height as him, barring the other Gods who tower over him, while the 6ft 4in 250 lb values would be for Norse Kratos exclusively. Assuming otherwise would be a direct contradiction to the themes of the Greek Pantheon appearing far larger and more majestic than life compared to Norse feeling more humanized and grounded.

Unfortunately, no. They're not.

In this case it visibly does.

Only applies to Norse. Greek Kratos was explicitly stated by the devs to actually be taller in the Greek games, with a different body model, height value in meters and all, with comic-booky proportions.
That interview is clearly referring to the art direction out of universe, not as it extends to the lore tho
Kind of doesn't. Even in Greek Era majority of peeps were more or less taller than him, Zeus certainly towered over him even in base. It would also contradict the Greek Pantheon's larger-than-life appearance in contrast with Norse's more humanized approach.
Except we never get reason to suspect this is the case in universe, the only statement is on the BTS side and we visibly see he doesn’t shrink in universe

he’s either 7:6 or 6:4 m; he is not both and evidence lines up better with the latter imo (like is everyone in Greece just 7 foot?)
Empathic Manip too I suppose.
Aye
No. Equipment stays with Powers and Abilities.
Idk I’ve seen it used the other way but either works
Sounds good (Odin could do with the same but idk)
only when he’s got Ares’ powers, it’s debatable he has that ability when he wars on Olympus in three, let alone by this point

the statements are also more general, including his time as a Demigod

One more question. Is it true that in guidebook for god of war 2018 we learn that when kratos and dragon fought they shook Midgard?

That interview is clearly referring to the art direction out of universe, not as it extends to the lore tho
Nah, it visibly refers to the game models used in the actual games themselves, as well as the benefits of using a realistically-proportioned body in mocap that wouldn't appear weird in mocap. That alone is reason enough to keep the heights separate. Hercules is also noted to be 12 ft tall by Kevin Sorbo in an interview and Kratos only reaches upto his chest, but even in that case he would still be far taller than his Norse self.

Except we never get reason to suspect this is the case in universe, the only statement is on the BTS side and we visibly see he doesn’t shrink in universe
And again, the BTS side only covers the Norse aspect, not the Greek aspect.

he’s either 7:6 or 6:4 m; he is not both and evidence lines up better with the latter imo (like is everyone in Greece just 7 foot?)
It doesn't line up unfortunately, because of the reasons I've just stated. He's got different heights in both Greece and in Norse as per their game body model and the height change was made explicitly for ease of mocap first and foremost, a realistically-proportioned body would fare better in that regard than with a near-8-foot-tall gigant. Their body proportions are too wildly different to ever assume they were the same height all their lives, and even if not implied in the universe, it would still go against the very theme of the Greek Pantheon being larger than life, as I have stated already. Also, Hercules, and most of the other gods in human size form are a smidge taller than Kratos overall too (Zeus literally towering over the man even in base). So yeah, Greek Kratos would absolutely remain taller than Norse Kratos in the long run, and I don't see that changing.

Also the actual values would be 7ft 8in and 6ft 4.5in, the devs screwed up the conversion from ft+in to meters.

the statements are also more general, including his time as a Demigod
Not all of them.

One more question. Is it true that in guidebook for god of war 2018 we learn that when kratos and dragon fought they shook Midgard?
I have the Prima Guidebook and I haven't found any such statement yet.

What about the statement at the end of god of war 1 novelisation where kratos was stated to have strength almost equal that of gods? Keep in mind that was demigod kratos as far as i know.

What about the statement at the end of god of war 1 novelisation where kratos was stated to have strength almost equal that of gods? Keep in mind that was demigod kratos as far as i know.
He had Hope inside of him, but only a tiny sliver of it to use against Ares. After Ares died, Kratos returned to normal and Hope went dormant.

Nah, it visibly refers to the game models used in the actual games themselves, as well as the benefits of using a realistically-proportioned body in mocap that wouldn't appear weird in mocap. That alone is reason enough to keep the heights separate. Hercules is also noted to be 12 ft tall by Kevin Sorbo in an interview and Kratos only reaches upto his chest, but even in that case he would still be far taller than his Norse self.
That is one statement Against three tho, doesn’t have the same weight and there’s still no actual reason he’d shrink canonically
And again, the BTS side only covers the Norse aspect, not the Greek aspect.
How? They specifically note the change in height is because of the presentation, not an in universe thing
It doesn't line up unfortunately, because of the reasons I've just stated. He's got different heights in both Greece and in Norse as per their game body model and the height change was made explicitly for ease of mocap first and foremost, a realistically-proportioned body would fare better in that regard than with a near-8-foot-tall gigant. Their body proportions are too wildly different to ever assume they were the same height all their lives, and even if not implied in the universe, it would still go against the very theme of the Greek Pantheon being larger than life, as I have stated already. Also, Hercules, and most of the other gods in human size form are a smidge taller than Kratos overall too (Zeus literally towering over the man even in base). So yeah, Greek Kratos would absolutely remain taller than Norse Kratos in the long run, and I don't see that changing.
Again those are behind the scenes reason pertaining to an out of universe perspective, that’s not the same as characters being shown as the same height in the actual materials
Also the actual values would be 7ft 8in and 6ft 4.5in, the devs screwed up the conversion from ft+in to meters.
Regardless the matter remains
Not all of them.
Mostly tho
The statement is “Near Olympian” which only puts him in the superhuman category, likely only matched by specific monsters and exceeded by the Gods
Furies are explicitly shown to dominate Hector and Kratos trashed them in physical power.

Also interviews with Dev's outright say they are "stronger than god's", probably in their attempt to make Ascension grander than 3 for making good sales. Sadly didn't help them much.
tbh I don’t think this makes sense
Aegean is > Atlas by WOG and his brother is stated as the greatest challenge Kratos faced (at that point implying he’s up there with Ares)

Its weird the Hods would rely upon someone who’s so much weaker then their opposition, especially when narration describes him as a “Brute”. I think it’s clear the Furies best him via hax and illusions, that’s why they’re so dangerous
He had Hope inside of him, but only a tiny sliver of it to use against Ares. After Ares died, Kratos returned to normal.
he’s referring to a statement Athena gives in one’s novelisation; before he gets the Box

Aegean is > Atlas by WOG and his brother is stated as the greatest challenge Kratos faced (at that point implying he’s up there with Ares)

Its weird the Hods would rely upon someone who’s so much weaker then their opposition, especially when narration describes him as a “Brute”. I think it’s clear the Furies best him via hax and illusions, that’s why they’re so dangerous
I know, I just saying Devs might have went a bit overboard in wanking Furies during a certain interview.
I myself like Furies at 7B.

Almost forgot

Kratos doesn’t need to sleep as a god (likely extends to the Olympians) and Odin can summon blinding light during the final battle

He also has a “binding spell” and weird glyph but idk what that is (Sealing?)

That is one statement Against three tho, doesn’t have the same weight and there’s still no actual reason he’d shrink canonically
The three statements not even covering any comparisons with Greek.

How? They specifically note the change in height is because of the presentation, not an in universe thing
And? They never stated the new height to be a retcon to the old so this changes nothing.

Again those are behind the scenes reason pertaining to an out of universe perspective, that’s not the same as characters being shown as the same height in the actual materials
Which really doesn't mean much unless they themselves directly confirm the height change to be an actual retcon or explain why the height change happened within the universe itself.

Regardless the matter remains
Not until the devs give an actual in-lore explanation for this.

Mostly tho
Not even Mostly. Especially when it involves the final acts of GOW2 or 3.

The normal mortal aspects obviously apply to the Mortal side of things.

The statement is “Near Olympian” which only puts him in the superhuman category, likely only matched by specific monsters and exceeded by the Gods

Tiny issue, Aegaeon is > Cronos in terms of physical strength and equal to Atlas as per Ariel's statements with notes of having better upper body strength than both. The only other interview where Aegaeon is considered to be the strongest of them all is in the GameTrailers: God of War Ascension - Game Director Interview video, but that's all it says, whereas Ariel's tweet lays out more details with Aegaeon's strength and where the advantages lie.

Its weird the Gods would rely upon someone who’s so much weaker then their opposition, especially when narration describes him as a “Brute”. I think it’s clear the Furies best him via hax and illusions, that’s why they’re so dangerous
The Intro only states that Zeus freed the guy after the War when he just so happened upon him in the Underworld.

he’s referring to a statement Athena gives in one’s novelisation; before he gets the Box
I believe that's more or less answered by Ares' desire to hone Kratos into the perfect warrior to tear down Olympus itself as per Ascension gradually, not that he got it at once upon getting the Blades.

Back