• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Weapons don't have as much of a special purpose to the egyptians like with other myths. This is why you almost never see any depiction of egyptian myths with any kind of special weapon like the norse and mjolnir, or the greeks and Zeus' lightning.

They could showcase some polearms/staff like some of the egyptian gods are depicted carrying (depending on the design of the staff, it changes its meaning; Set, for example, it represents his power over the weathe), a khopesh maybe as a symbol of the "royal guard" and that of Horus' will. They could maybe have the flail.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of depictions with polearms and the Khopesh. The mace idea still sounds pretty cool.

I'd also give Kratos a bow, again, but Atreus being around kind of makes that pointless
Ah, this can be quite fun. Many of the egyptian monsters are shared with the greeks, so we can expect to see some familiar things. But as it is showcased in the 2018 comic, the egyptians contended mostly with animals moreso than supernatural creatures.
Yeah I believe the Chimera is also in Egyptian Mythology. There's a siren in more modern Egyptian urban legend that's quite like those in Greek mythology, could be cool.
Also, mummies should not be enemies. At all. Mummification was a rite of purity. It was meant as an honor, an aid for the three aspects of the egyptian soul (ka, ba and name)
Yeah, but knowing god of war, we'll likely end up fighting some. What if someone could corrupt them like the Valkyries and hel walkers?
That's the best part. Egyptian myths are filled to the brim of hax shit, is insane. Just look at Ra, who passively maintains: Passage of time, life through his light, the seasons, space itself, souls themselves when traveling Duat at night, Law and Chaos, and potentially the void

Then you have an abundance of soulhax: Splitting, absorption, fate (Osiris' trial), transmutation (souls are turned into stars), straight destruction and EE

While also having copious amounts of conceptual manipulation through names
This I'm most excited for. The Norse Gods, aside from Odin and a few others were lacking in Hax. And even Kratos didn't really have much Hax this time around. When he goes to Egypt I'd like to see the return of magic and the replacement of Talisman/ Relics.

Something I've always wondered about Fallen god, is why is Athena back in her Physical form? Is she an illusion? Does she have the ability to revert back?

Thing is, Kratos is insane in Fallen God. Nothing in that story makes sense in any perspective whatsoever.
True. How did he even get to Egypt in the first place if the pantheons rule different universes? Maybe he was brought there?

I don't know, what a weird ass story.

I don't think that's the case, if it was he be able to use the blades. He left out the fact that he released his powers and left the blade of Olympus that had them behind.

I don't think that's the case, if it was he be able to use the blades. He left out the fact that he released his powers and left the blade of Olympus that had them behind.
He wouldn't have made an attempt to use greek magic in the norse realms if he was talking about the powers he released because he knows he didn't have them anymore but he said he tried to use greek magic and it didn't work so the meaning is clear.

They're special so they function. Probably because Primordial stuff.

Wait

So is the "primordial" portion of the blades of chaos, multicultural in nature?

Because when Surtr said that they have primordial flames and Kratos was like "these aren't of these lands", he said "doesn't matter".

Is the "primordial" portion something that's independent of culture? Is there just a bigass void that the OGs (Chaos, Ginnungagap, etc.) come from that has flames in there?

Cause ain't no way "greek magic" doesn't work but "primordial flames" from greek mythology do

In goW1 novel it is mentioned to essense of the Primordial Chaos, the void before creation.
Hence name Blades of Chaos...
Make of that what you will.
Yeah but ain't Chaos... or at least chaos from the OG games... specifically greek in nature?

Or is the single chaos spread throughout multiple cultures?

Wait

So is the "primordial" portion of the blades of chaos, multicultural in nature?

Because when Surtr said that they have primordial flames and Kratos was like "these aren't of these lands", he said "doesn't matter".

Is the "primordial" portion something that's independent of culture? Is there just a bigass void that the OGs (Chaos, Ginnungagap, etc.) come from that has flames in there?

Cause ain't no way "greek magic" doesn't work but "primordial flames" from greek mythology do
There isn't a definitive answer to why the blades work. Primordial stuff was just a guest. For all we know the reason could be because Athena cast a higher dimensional curse on the blades.

That's the problem. To be "infinitely bigger" than those timelines, you need statements of infinite existential superiority, but that would lead straight to Low 1-C and thus we are brought full circle to Freya's statement, at which point we are forced back to the Mask and the Green Rift of supposedly infinite knowledge.

It'd give Low 1-C instead if you could prove existential superiority, but again, read above about the Mask and the Green Rift.
Infinitely bigger than low 2C just 2A, and bigger than 2A is low 1C

He wouldn't have made an attempt to use greek magic in the norse realms if he was talking about the powers he released because he knows he didn't have them anymore but he said he tried to use greek magic and it didn't work so the meaning is clear.
What other powers did he have outside of the ones in the blade, and his equipment which were destroyed by Zeus? Probably just something whoever wrote that dialogue forgot.

Tbh every culture has similar kinds of Chaos/Void. Although I doubt they are singular.
For example..

I remember Chaos being called Great Grandfather to Zeus somewhere, but can't seem to recall.

Great Grandfather because he birthed Ouranos yes, but Egyptian mythology has a Chaos too which birthed Ra. Would this make those Chaos' the same since "primordial flames" apparently just don't give a damn about region?

This is giving me a larger cosmology above the 9 realms and such, one big multiverse holding a bunch of verses' multiverses inside of it, and that big multiverse is a bigass creature with many names, Chaos, Ginnungagap, etc.

Cause ain't no way that the Greek flames still fulfill Norse flame prophecies

Yeah but ain't Chaos... or at least chaos from the OG games... specifically greek in nature?
Way I view it is since Freya says magic is bound to the earth it could be assumed that the primordial flames from Chaos are unaffected by the greek world being destroyed, Chaos does predate the earth and as such the magic from it probably shouldn't be bound to it and wouldn't disappear like the rest of the magic in the greek world die.

Way I view it is since Freya says magic is bound to the earth it could be assumed that the primordial flames from Chaos are unaffected by the greek world being destroyed, Chaos does predate the earth and as such the magic from it probably shouldn't be bound to it and wouldn't disappear like the rest of the magic in the greek world die.
I guess
Great Grandfather because he birthed Ouranos yes, but Egyptian mythology has a Chaos too which birthed Ra. Would this make those Chaos' the same since "primordial flames" apparently just don't give a damn about region?

This is giving me a larger cosmology above the 9 realms and such, one big multiverse holding a bunch of verses' multiverses inside of it, and that big multiverse is a bigass creature with many names, Chaos, Ginnungagap, etc.

Reminds me of this

How Riordan's Chaos is the Chaos of multiple cultures

Depends from the source then, so L on that
Can you show me what source says that?

Because in my own studies, I have never seen chaos birthing the creator god of the egyptian. Instead, what is always repeated, is the allegory of the entity giving a name to itself from inside chaos, which is what prompts existence into being when the newly born god (the sun god, not always Ra) starts shaping things from itself, giving name to everything.

Infinitely bigger than low 2C just 2A, and bigger than 2A is low 1C
Eh... no.

Being infinitely bigger than Low 2-C or space and time themselves and viewing them as insignificant to your existence in the long run is 100% Low 1-C, as long as implications of existential superiority exist. You don't need to see a 2-A verse as infinitely small to qualify for Low 1-C, and like Planck said, viewing them as infinitely small alone won't give you any higher Tier whatsoever. It needs to have implications of existential superiority first and foremost.

Can you show me what source says that?

Because in my own studies, I have never seen chaos birthing the creator god of the egyptian. Instead, what is always repeated, is the allegory of the entity giving a name to itself from inside chaos, which is what prompts existence into being when the newly born god (the sun god, not always Ra) starts shaping things from itself, giving name to everything.
source = my bad memory, don't count on it

i recall ra forming himself as well, so throw that away

source = my bad memory, don't count on it

i recall ra forming himself as well, so throw that away
Ah, alright lol

Was curious if maybe I missed something.

Mostly because, what my personal belief on what the creation myth of the egyptian represents is, effectively, the moment which humanity itself gained sentience and started trying to give meaning "to the chaos" around them.

That's, ultimately, what the entity and the creator god is. As the embodiment of "heart" and "thought", is the divine consciousness connected to everything (a theory which Jan Assman himself elaborates on in his book).

Nothing, then turned into something

Basically, didn't exist, then existed

Some sources also say Ptah created Ra instead of the self creation belief
Is not some sources. That's how the myth went in the Old Kingdom.

Egyptian myth and religion, as I explained above, evolved alongside the advance in their own culture (also explained in Jan Assman's book). To them, their religion was also their science, and so it reflected their beliefs at the time.

With the transition from the Old Kingdom to the Middle Kingdom, belief in Ptah died down and the god Ra was born.

Edit: This also reflected on the personal beliefs of certain Pharaohs. Like the one that started the belief on Amun, which later became the syncretism of Amun-Re. As the person that embodied the powers and law of the gods, the pharaoh pretty much has control on their own myths.

Doubt it. Chaos is a female Primordial as shown in GOW Ascension, mother of the Primordials Ouranos and Gaia (Brother/Sister/Parents to the Titans), Tartarus, Ourea, Ceto, Nyx and Erebus.

Aye. I always championed the idea of a big-ass multiverse referred to as the World, holding a bunch of other multiverses inside it. I believe that's what the devs meant by "geographical divides"

The World would look like our world from an artistic interpretation, and each country on it would represent a Pantheon or Lands, to speak of. But the realms within those lands cannot be interchanged with the geographical divides that would be the "borders" on this massive world. In reality, each of these "countries" and this whole "world" are far bigger than most realize, but it's made to look Earth-like for ease of use.

I still don't get why people use the above interpretation to downplay GOW to below Tier 2 into Tier 6. Clearly this is not the standard world we live in. Heck, in many other verses where space-time continuums are very much a thing, even their complete collections are called Worlds. Even big bangs happening within the same universe, with that same universe being called world. Do we treat every single one of these cases as "Planetary" and then downplay the realms within it not being larger than stated because of this false premise? No, of course not.

Greek flames are just built different. Greece is just built different.

Eh... no.

Being infinitely bigger than Low 2-C or space and time themselves and viewing them as insignificant to your existence in the long run is 100% Low 1-C, as long as implications of existential superiority exist. You don't need to see a 2-A verse as infinitely small to qualify for Low 1-C, and like Planck said, viewing them as infinitely small alone won't give you any higher Tier whatsoever. It needs to have implications of existential superiority first and foremost.
Well i just says being infinitely bigger. I know being infinitely bigger and have qualitative supperior can make it low 1C, but just being infinitely bigger alone is just make them 2A by default

Back