• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Maybe a feud with the God of Evil Set (sometimes Seth) and his biggest Opp Horus as an ally since he's a pretty chill dude from what I've read.
He's not exactly the god of evil. He represents discord and conflict; he's one of the aspects of what the egyptian saw as War. When the Egyptians were historically invaded by the Sea People, they thought of it as Set going against them. That's why he lost favor in between the egyptian people as a god.

The conflict of Set and Horus represents the fight of Egypt itself.

That's also another aspect of Egyptian myths. They are shaped and given meaning by the point of view of the egyptians, where they believe that their actions aid the gods themselves in maintaining their role in Ma'at.

Featless in that sense.

Egyptian, as mentioned above, is all about abstraction. The egyptians assigned a deity to pretty much any kind of idea. Even the hieroglyphics are but merely reflection of their "true names"

Basically, the symbol of them being furries is not literal, it represents the idea they embody
This is probably the main reason SMS took a step back from hinting at Egyptian Mythology being next.

This is probably the main reason SMS took a step back from hinting at Egyptian Mythology being next.
They would practically have to invent everything from scratch, pretty much.

Though it would be funny if they show Ra literally eating his own ***** during creation

Edit: No, I'm not kidding. Yes, it's a real thing. Again, is symbolic and allegorical. Yet still so meme.

Edit 2: Should probably explain now that I brought it up ovo Basically, by doing that, Ra becomes one with himself in order to give life. He later spat it out, creating the first of his children, Shu, who represents "primordial air" or "breath". Quite literally, created the substance for life to happen.

Sophos continues, “Almost everything we know about Norse mythology, the gods were way grayer than in a lot of popular depictions, especially the MCU.” He brings up Thor’s two goats, Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr. In one tale, Thor sleeps over at a peasant family’s home and allows them to eat his goats. As long as nothing happens to the goats’ bones, Thor can resurrect them with his hammer, Mjolnir, without any problems.

However, when one of the children breaks a ham bone, the resurrected goat returns with a lame hind leg. As punishment, Thor takes away both of the family’s children and makes them his servants forever.

“Yeah, that’s actually how they pitched the story to me,” says Hurst, who voices the formidable god in “Ragnarök.” “They said, ‘We want you to play Thor. How do you feel about goats?’”

Hurst explains that one of the main inspirations for his Thor was actor Tommy Lee Jones’ Sheriff Ed Tom Bell in “No Country for Old Men.” “He was a powerful being that harbored forms of regret that manifested in his voice,” he says.

At the same time, Sophos says that Thor is a clone of Kratos. Thor believes himself to be an irredeemable person as he’s done horrible things like killing a bunch of Giants. Similarly, Kratos started his new family after killing all of the Greek gods in the franchise’s previous games.

“He’s just trying to hold on to what he has left in the family that he has together,” Sophos explains. “He’s trying to be better, but he ultimately doesn’t believe that he can be, because he’s had a father in Odin, who told him he can’t be anything more than what he is, just this blunt instrument to be used when Odin needs something killed.”

from the wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urðarbrunnr

In both sources, the well lies beneath the world tree Yggdrasil, and is associated with a trio of norns (Urðr, Verðandi, and Skuld). In the Prose Edda, Urðarbrunnr is cited as one of three wells existing beneath three roots of Yggdrasil that reach into three distant, different lands; the other two wells being Hvergelmir, located beneath a root in Niflheim, and Mímisbrunnr, located beneath a root near the home of the frost jötnar

They would practically have to invent everything from scratch, pretty much.

Though it would be funny if they show Ra literally eating his own ***** during creation

Edit: No, I'm not kidding. Yes, it's a real thing. Again, is symbolic and allegorical. Yet still so meme.

Edit 2: Should probably explain now that I brought it up ovo Basically, by doing that, Ra becomes one with himself in order to give life. He later spat it out, creating the first of his children, Shu, who represents "primordial air" or "breath". Quite literally, created the substance for life to happen.
divine *****

Maybe Jormi could make a return and fight against Apep? Would be certainly badass to see.
Exactly. I said earlier on this thread that it would be sick to fight Apep while riding Jormugandr. Kinda like the hecatonchires in ascension
He's not exactly the god of evil. He represents discord and conflict; he's one of the aspects of what the egyptian saw as War. When the Egyptians were historically invaded by the Sea People, they thought of it as Set going against them. That's why he lost favor in between the egyptian people as a god.
Interesting. He's also a god of Foreigners and I believe the desert and Storms.
The conflict of Set and Horus represents the fight of Egypt itself.
Yes. Isn't it also said they reconcile eventually? Could be a great theme for the current direction of the series. Especially mirroring that Kratos own feud with his father could have went differently
That's also another aspect of Egyptian myths. They are shaped and given meaning by the point of view of the egyptians, where they believe that their actions aid the gods themselves in maintaining their role in Ma'at
Interesting. Seems like mortals have bigger roles this time around. Wasn't it also believed that the Pharaoh's we're one step closer to becoming gods themselves?
which older greek or norse myth ?
I believe Greek mythology predates Norse mythology by over 2,000 years

It's crazy how the question of who blew the horn? is never answered actually answered for some reason even though Cory Barlog seemed pretty confident that there was an answer for it.

Interesting. Seems like mortals have bigger roles this time around. Wasn't it also believed that the Pharaoh's we're one step closer to becoming gods themselves?
The position of Pharaoh is closer to a modern politician and even the pope than to actual royalty. Originally, they are supposed to be descended from Ra-Horakhty (the fusion, or better stated, syncretism of Ra and Horus) and embody his will, as Re-Horakhty represents "royalty" and "leadership"

"The king of kings"

As such, the Pharaoh is the avatar to the gods' will, the closest personification to Ma'at, the Law.

In that sense, they would be Gods, indeed, as per having a role to uphold and sustain Ma'at.

God of War Comics also mentioned that egyptian gods can take many form. Also you know what in GoW Comics there is egyptian god already which exist in higher existence along side athena... damnnn

God of War Comics also mentioned that egyptian gods can take many form. Also you know what in GoW Comics there is egyptian god already which exist in higher existence along side athena... damnnn
I actually read it. And indeed, it maintains very well the purpose of the egyptian gods. They were, instead of fighting or effing up Kratos, they were simply telling him his purpose in their lands. Again, his role for the purposes of Ma'at. His rage had meaning, he could channel it for something greater.

In the comics case, to battle "the chaos beast" (and that name is also pretty telling, as the main enemy to the egyptian gods is chaos)

I actually read it. And indeed, it maintains very well the purpose of the egyptian gods. They were, instead of fighting or effing up Kratos, they were simply telling him his purpose in their lands. Again, his role for the purposes of Ma'at. His rage had meaning, he could channel it for something greater.

In the comics case, to battle "the chaos beast" (and that name is also pretty telling, as the main enemy to the egyptian gods is chaos)
ohhhh so it's fairy accurate huh ??? ohh nice very very nice

actually i love with this scene

God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-003.jpg
God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-004.jpg
God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-005.jpg

God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-006.jpg

actually i love with this scene

God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-003.jpg
God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-004.jpg
God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-005.jpg

God%2Bof%2BWar%2B-%2BFallen%2BGod%2B004%2B%25282021%2529%2B%2528digital%2529%2B%2528Son%2Bof%2BUltron-Empire%2529-006.jpg
It's a pretty nice scene, indeed. Also, I have the suspicion that the humanoid god depicted there is an avatar of Neb-Er-Tcher.

Neb-Er-Tcher is the true identity of Ra, as the original entity that resided in the void before giving himself name, creating Ra.

I say this because of the figure of the Ibis accompanying him. In the Old Kingdom (older Egypt), the main figure of the egyptian gods wasn't Ra, but Ptah. Ptah represents creative force; he is "thought" or "heart".

It was believed he created "The World" by "feeling it in his heart": He gave it shape through his thoughts. Gave everything meaning, gave a name. Exactly the same as Neb-Er-Tcher.

Though I'm not sure what the Baboon is, if I'm being honest.

Edit: Ah, I'm stupid. It's Hapi. He's there representing the deceased. The trio then are, together, those who represent existence. The creation, formation of life, and a guardian of death.

Without spoiling anything, did the team or do the team feel now that there are more stories left to be told in this particular part of the world?

Once you have Ragnarök as kind of The Big Thing and it’s the big known thing about Norse mythology it gets to the point where you’ve played with anything that’s known. It doesn’t mean there aren’t stories to tell, I think with these characters that we’ve set up and the worlds we’ve set up, we tried to make them feel like living, breathing things that could be expanded into. But for characters like Kratos and Atreus we tried to conclude their story, because that was what we wanted to do was make sure that everybody who got to play the last game, and especially players on PS4 who haven’t been able to get a PS5, they could get the full story and get the conclusion of the story and not feel like they’re gated by hardware in their ability to hear the whole story.

because that was what we wanted to do was make sure that everybody who got to play the last game, and especially players on PS4 who haven’t been able to get a PS5, they could get the full story and get the conclusion of the story and not feel like they’re gated by hardware in their ability to hear the whole story.
Braindead reasoning tbh

It's a pretty nice scene, indeed. Also, I have the suspicion that the humanoid god depicted there is an avatar of Neb-Er-Tcher.

Neb-Er-Tcher is the true identity of Ra, as the original entity that resided in the void before giving himself name, creating Ra.

I say this because of the figure of the Ibis accompanying him. In the Old Kingdom (older Egypt), the main figure of the egyptian gods wasn't Ra, but Ptah. Ptah represents creative force; he is "thought" or "heart".

It was believed he created "The World" by "feeling it in his heart": He gave it shape through his thoughts. Gave everything meaning, gave a name. Exactly the same as Neb-Er-Tcher.

Though I'm not sure what the Baboon is, if I'm being honest.

Edit: Ah, I'm stupid. It's Hapi. He's there representing the deceased. The trio then are, together, those who represent existence. The creation, formation of life, and a guardian of death.
Nice info !! love it.

Also what do you think about this. Is this accurate or very important concept for egypt people ?

18c3bd24-9e15-49ac-b0f8-33f7d97fed0c

The position of Pharaoh is closer to a modern politician and even the pope than to actual royalty. Originally, they are supposed to be descended from Ra-Horakhty (the fusion, or better stated, syncretism of Ra and Horus) and embody his will, as Re-Horakhty represents "royalty" and "leadership"

"The king of kings"

As such, the Pharaoh is the avatar to the gods' will, the closest personification to Ma'at, the Law.

In that sense, they would be Gods, indeed, as per having a role to uphold and sustain Ma'at.
Interesting. I swear there's so much cool shit in Egyptian Mythology. Really ancient Egypt as a whole.

But one thing I'm curious on is Weapons. What are some Mythological weapons there Kratos could wield? This isn't that big a deal cuz he doesn't wield any Mythological weapons in the series, and they could just whip up some.

I'm thinking maybe they could have him pass the Axe down to Atreus and He gets an Egyptian mace that can be thrown and recalled like the axe and hammer could. Could be a way to substitute for us not getting Mjolnir.

And what about creatures? Outside of Serperpards, Sphinx, scarabs, and mummies, what will we fight? I'm not familiar with Egyptian creatures, and there doesn't seem to be that many. They could just make up a bunch of course.

But one thing I'm curious on is Weapons. What are some Mythological weapons there Kratos could wield? This isn't that big a deal cuz he doesn't wield any Mythological weapons in the series, and they could just whip up some.
Weapons don't have as much of a special purpose to the egyptians like with other myths. This is why you almost never see any depiction of egyptian myths with any kind of special weapon like the norse and mjolnir, or the greeks and Zeus' lightning.

They could showcase some polearms/staff like some of the egyptian gods are depicted carrying (depending on the design of the staff, it changes its meaning; Set, for example, it represents his power over the weathe), a khopesh maybe as a symbol of the "royal guard" and that of Horus' will. They could maybe have the flail.

And what about creatures? Outside of Serperpards, Sphinx, scarabs, and mummies, what will we fight? I'm not familiar with Egyptian creatures, and there doesn't seem to be that many. They could just make up a bunch of course.
Ah, this can be quite fun. Many of the egyptian monsters are shared with the greeks, so we can expect to see some familiar things. But as it is showcased in the 2018 comic, the egyptians contended mostly with animals moreso than supernatural creatures.

Also, mummies should not be enemies. At all. Mummification was a rite of purity. It was meant as an honor, an aid for the three aspects of the egyptian soul (ka, ba and name) to be able to travel the Duat without conflict.

Weapons don't have as much of a special purpose to the egyptians like with other myths. This is why you almost never see any depiction of egyptian myths with any kind of special weapon like the norse and mjolnir, or the greeks and Zeus' lightning.

They could showcase some polearms/staff like some of the egyptian gods are depicted carrying (depending on the design of the staff, it changes its meaning; Set, for example, it represents his power over the weathe), a khopesh maybe as a symbol of the "royal guard" and that of Horus' will. They could maybe have the flail.

Ah, this can be quite fun. Many of the egyptian monsters are shared with the greeks, so we can expect to see some familiar things. But as it is showcased in the 2018 comic, the egyptians contended mostly with animals moreso than supernatural creatures.

Also, mummies should not be enemies. At all. Mummification was a rite of purity. It was meant as an honor, an aid for the three aspects of the egyptian soul (ka, ba and name) to be able to travel the Duat without conflict.
Can you use abstract idea as a weapon ? i wonder lol

Can you use abstract idea as a weapon ? i wonder lol
That's the best part. Egyptian myths are filled to the brim of hax shit, is insane. Just look at Ra, who passively maintains: Passage of time, life through his light, the seasons, space itself, souls themselves when traveling Duat at night, Law and Chaos, and potentially the void

Then you have an abundance of soulhax: Splitting, absorption, fate (Osiris' trial), transmutation (souls are turned into stars), straight destruction and EE

While also having copious amounts of conceptual manipulation through names

Back