• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

anBn
LUFyZXMuanBn

cGc
ZTYxNjYyNC5qcGc
cGc

The issue with the Norse Gods is that they don't..... feel like Gods. They feel like extremely powerful superhumans, and they look as such. Compare the gods from the norse pantheon to the ones of the greek one, and just by looking at them you'll see a massive difference in trend. Norse Gods just look like humans through and through, Greek Gods looked far more mythical and magical.
I blame that on the "grounded" art direction SMS is going for. I think when it comes to the design of the Gods that are apparently complete dickheads that think they're better than everyone else a "grounded" look doesn't really express that.

well some complex models are really hard to animate properly in 3D graphics, so it's make sense they choose more simplicity approach

The issue with the Norse Gods is that they don't..... feel like Gods. They feel like extremely powerful superhumans, and they look as such. Compare the gods from the norse pantheon to the ones of the greek one, and just by looking at them you'll see a massive difference in trend. Norse Gods just look like humans through and through, Greek Gods looked far more mythical and magical.
To be fair, they were fairly earthly even in mythology, at least relatively. I can kinda see why they're not as exaggerated in scale and presence as the Olympians, even though I'd prefer otherwise.

But I agree. Comparing Odin and Zeus for instance. Odin feels like a cruel, cunning and manipulative king with great command over magic and the mind. Zeus felt like a force of nature every time he was on screen. When I fought him in the end of II he felt overwhelming in that opening cutscene. Odin unfortunately doesn't quite inspire that feeling.

To be fair, they were fairly earthly even in mythology, at least relatively. I can kinda see why they're not as exaggerated in scale and presence as the Olympians, even though I'd prefer otherwise.

But I agree. Comparing Odin and Zeus for instance. Odin feels like a cruel, cunning and manipulative king with great command over magic and the mind. Zeus felt like a force of nature every time he was on screen. When I fought him in the end of II he felt overwhelming in that opening cutscene. Odin unfortunately doesn't quite inspire that feeling.
While it's technically not wrong, they are all humanoid entirely. Then you have the greek gods who could grow to be hundreds of feet tall, it just seems like a laughable scale difference. GoW was always known for its massive scale and large mythical world. Muspelheim in 2018 was just a stereotypical fire place with no real mythical feel to it at all.

I just enjoyed the gameplay a lot. IMO Gow 2018 has the most fluid and well executed soulslike gameplay on the market, and ragnarok seems to be upping the ante in every way possible. I just replayed the game a bunch of times. I'm a GoW simp, what can I say

How powerful is beginning of GOW 2 Kratos (As a Full God) compared to his other versions like Pandora's Box Kratos from GOW 1, End of GOW 2 Kratos and GOW 3 Kratos? The one here.

How powerful is beginning of GOW 2 Kratos (As a Full God) compared to his other versions like Pandora's Box Kratos from GOW 1, End of GOW 2 Kratos and GOW 3 Kratos? The one here.

Same as Ares, with a slight edge. End Gow 2 kratos is far stronger than beginning. GoW 3 kratos would one shot.

Norse Kratos is a very big can of worms to dive into. There is WoG that he's above greek kratos, while at the same time multiple WoG's and promotional material that he's not who he used to be and is very rusty and old compared to his former self. If you just ignore all that and go by the games and lore themselves..... you could quite literally say Norse kratos is like GoW 1-2 Level. He lost everything he had before, including all the amps he got from the gods and titans. He's no longer a God but an immortal demigod. Personally through what he's showcased and basic deducement, kratos is probably GoW 2 levelish maybe a little weaker if I was to be blunt and objective. There is even an argument that he doesn't even have his god of war powers anymore.

GoW was always known for its massive scale and large mythical world. Muspelheim in 2018 was just a stereotypical fire place with no real mythical feel to it at all.

Tell me about it. As i already said the Greek GoW saga slaps GoW 2018 in the art department. There are some pretty good places in GoW 2018 but most of the time they are pretty bland. And besides the art i think that sense of large scale the Greek saga had are gone in GoW 2018.

. There is WoG that he's above greek kratos, while at the same time multiple WoG's and promotional material that he's not who he used to be and is very rusty and old compared to his former self.
Don't the 'rusty' statements only refer to the beginning of the game, specifically the Baldur fight where he's rusty? Which promotional material corroborates that?
If you just ignore all that and go by the games and lore themselves..... you could quite literally say Norse kratos is like GoW 1-2 Level. He lost everything he had before, including all the amps he got from the gods and titans. He's no longer a God but an immortal demigod.
Immortal in the sense that he can't die with age or immortal in the sense that he can't be killed?
There is even an argument that he doesn't even have his god of war powers anymore.
Hasn't that been the case since the Beginning of GOW 2 or am I missing something? Did he regain his God of War powers upon regaining the Blade? How does that work?

Don't the 'rusty' statements only refer to the beginning of the game, specifically the Baldur fight where he's rusty? Which promotional material corroborates that?
Rusty for the entire game. His rust is worn off in ragnarok though.
kratos_reawakening_his_dormant_powers.png

Immortal in the sense that he can't die with age or immortal in the sense that he can't be killed?
He can't die with age or by his own hand
Hasn't that been the case since the Beginning of GOW 2 or am I missing something? Did he regain his God of War powers upon regaining the Blade? How does that work?
His GoW powers remained in the blade, and he could essentially tap into them at will. Explained in the GoW 2 novel.

Pretty cool that they made Atreus traversing the environment something that doesn’t slow down the game because he’s now older and more experienced. Instead of Atreus needing Kratos to boost him to a high ledge, Atreus just jumps up himself or uses/shoots a grappling hook which looks cool. Atreus also seems to be doing acrobatic wombo combos on enemies that looks cool.

From what It sounds like each weapon has a different finisher on each enemy depending on which one you want to use too.

supposedly the Thor Kratos leaker confirmed that he failed the QTE. So that defibrillator sequence might not be automatic that everyone will see. Guess we will see.

Back