• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Assuming SMS decides to change the gameplay and genre for the next God of War and mythology, what would be the gameplay and genre you would want? (You can decide the mythology too)

Assuming SMS decides to change the gameplay and genre for the next God of War and mythology, what would be the gameplay and genre you would want? (You can decide the mythology too)
I'd want a return of the old GOW combat but with a free camera, massive FOV, getting rid of the RPG bullshit-fest, and to be without the awful right-stick dodging (I hope they can incorporate the dodging and jumping into separate keys if possible). And maybe incorporate some Runic Attacks into Magic Attacks that consume magic that needs to be refilled in excessive combat.

If they go with Egypt Myth then maybe back to rhe roots of GoW gameplay but with even more fix and tweak for matching the modern standard action gameplay
If they go with Japanese Myth......Imagine old GoW gameplay + GoW Norse gameplay element + F***ING QUICK AND HYPE HACK' N' SLASH BRUTALITY ALA DMC/BAYONETTA

Ye, the 2010 comic where he also kills Gyges, and where his infant daughter is afflicted with a plague
Yeah imagine a full series like that, without the weird muddy art (I kinda liked it tho) But introducing whole new gods, demigods, civilizations, creatures, as fleshing out Kratos and the rest of the gods.

Specifically I want to see Kratos as a human (half human, whatever) climbing the ranks of the Spartan army, his battles, and the start of the servitude to Ares and the horrors he committed. Just to make us view Kratos in a much different light. And also to show just how far he's come
This would also be from His champion who was able to be unburied by a forest fire thanks to his blessing
Yeah that too. He should have a page. He burned down that Forrest, is that a range or an AP feat?
There are almost no AAA games that cover Egyptian Mythology.
Outside of AC Origins, I can't think of any either

I'd want a return of the old GOW combat but with a free camera, massive FOV, getting rid of the RPG bullshit-fest, and to be without the awful right-stick dodging (I hope they can incorporate the dodging and jumping into separate keys if possible). And maybe incorporate some Runic Attacks into Magic Attacks that consume magic that needs to be refilled in excessive
Fax. Also expanding Hand to hand combat, and bringing back ranged weapons like bows, and maybe crossbows, and traversal options like Kratos swinging from his blades like Spider-Man, or even being able to fly.

Also Rockstar's euphoria physics and a natural gore system not reliant on executions and adapts to whatever weapon you're using.

If you're using your fists, Gauntlets, or hammers, you can smash their heads, break limbs and explode their bodies with powerful blows.

Kratos blades', swords, axes, spears, can decapitate enemies, sever limbs, and tear out organs.

Explosives destroy the bodies entirely.

Basically the last of us part II and Doom eternal.

Executions vary depending on weapons equipped.

insomniac style environmental combat.

Yeah imagine a full series like that, without the weird muddy art (I kinda liked it tho) But introducing whole new gods, demigods, civilizations, creatures, as fleshing out Kratos and the rest of the gods.

Specifically I want to see Kratos as a human (half human, whatever) climbing the ranks of the Spartan army, his battles, and the start of the servitude to Ares and the horrors he committed. Just to make us view Kratos in a much different light. And also to show just how far he's come
I kind of hope the GOW series is that NGL
Yeah that too. He should have a page. He burned down that Forrest, is that a range or an AP feat?
I agree; I feel him and the other mortals (like Alrik or the Last Spartan) deserve profiles. Maybe even some of the monsters (like Cyclopes and Travellers)

I kind of hope the GOW series is that NGL
Me too. I wished the same for The last of us series as well. I hate when Hollywood thinks they can tell the same story even better just because of live action, and big Hollywood names.

Why not add on to the lore of the source material?

Why not have a film or series set in the same canon and bridge fans of the games and non gamer fans who are new?

They could easily do that with my suggestions, adding a few new characters hear and there and then preceding to tell the same story Is lame.

Video games are art, and they could tell a story just as well as Film and TV, I feel like they don't respect that
I agree; I feel him and the other mortals (like Alrik or the Last Spartan) deserve profiles. Maybe even some of the monsters (like Cyclopes and Travellers)
Definitely. Persian King, too. I'd match the last spartan up with alrik. What rating would he have? He's actually really impressive. He fought off all of the creatures on the island for hours single handedly and even briefly fought Kratos.

Persian King is probably like 7-B or whatever demigod Kratos will be. Cyclopes are probably like tier 8. Travellers I'm not sure on their rating. Maybe like 9-A?

What are feats for Cyclopes and Travellers? Or any other fodder, too.

Novels and comics could help, outside of gameplay.

As long they keep away from the 3 major religions or any on our planet or anyone for that matter, and stick to myths at most. I guess any will be fine. I have zilch knowledge on most myths... so I can only talk about gameplay. In which I agree with Klol.

Me too. I wished the same for The last of us series as well. I hate when Hollywood thinks they can tell the same story even better just because of live action, and big Hollywood names.

Why not add on to the lore of the source material?

Definitely. Persian King, too. I'd match the last spartan up with alrik. What rating would he have? He's actually really impressive. He fought off all of the creatures on the island for hours single handedly and even briefly fought Kratos.
Persian King is probably like 7-B or whatever demigod Kratos will be. Cyclopes are probably like tier 8. Travellers I'm not sure on their rating. Maybe like 9-A?

What are feats for Cyclopes and Travellers? Or any other fodder, too.

Novels and comics could help, outside of gameplay.
I am fine with the series being its own canon but I agree fleshing out the lore would be a good choice, I like the idea the show is split up into Kratos' quest for vengeance and then having another plot line being his rise to power and coercian by Ares. Maybe add in plotting from Mount Olympus and we've got a good show cooking. Cyclopes are regularly treated as a serious threat to Kratos during his tenure as a demigod (like there's about 8 showings from the novelisations) and Travellers are considered one of the strongest enemies Kratos and Atreus face by the latter (so they have tight scaling). Other fodder depends, the Undead Legionaires are likely just 9-B but stuff like the Trolls in God of War 2018 would arguably backscale from a held back Kratos (maybe 9-A, at most 2-C)?

I am fine with the series being its own canon but I agree fleshing out the lore would be a good choice, I like the idea the show is split up into Kratos' quest for vengeance and then having another plot line being his rise to power and coercian by Ares. Maybe add in plotting from Mount Olympus and we've got a good show cooking.
Yeah this is the route I hope they go. I'll still watch if it's own canon ofc if it's good tho
Cyclopes are regularly treated as a serious threat to Kratos during his tenure as a demigod (like there's about 8 showings from the novelisations)
Really? So about 7-B?

What are their most impressive feats and statements in novels?

Maybe they can have at least rating based on gameplay and a possibly/likely rating based on lore
Other fodder depends, the Undead Legionaires are likely just 9-B
True, they can one shot the humans in game in GOW 3
but stuff like the Trolls in God of War 2018 would arguably backscale from a held back Kratos (maybe 9-A, at most 2-C)?
Prob just 9-A for others, with the Helheim Bridgekeeper, I think he should be around 2-C ofc

Really? So about 7-B?

Maybe they can have at least rating based on gameplay and a possibly/likely rating based on lore

Prob just 9-A for others, with the Helheim Bridgekeeper, I think he should be around 2-C ofc
I'd say so, it's mostly stuff like narration mentioning they can "bash open" kratos' head or the fact they can generally just kill him. Athena even mentions that they're an outright threat to Kratos which is consistent with them being the strongest monsters in the Greek games. Perhaps a split could work but honestly Trolls are said in the Playstation presentation to take effort to deflect with the Guardian shield and I believe the novel treats them as about that tough. I do think a split rating would work tho (Helson just gets at most 2-C I think)

Really? So about 7-B?
The recent cloud revisions might change that.

Even without that, the tempest feat doesn't actually scale to the spear, it doesn't state that it channels the power of the storm, only that it was forged in it. Being forged in it =/= scaling to it, not even in durability because the storm is so big it won't be able to effectively put all its power into the spear due to its massive frontal area, not that it happened either.

But, the Python carcasses are relatively solidly into 7-B by my calculations, now one could ask how Kratos scales to the snake, well, they puncture through its mainframe many times but the snake itself holds itself up remarkably well even when beat to shit for such a massive thing. I guess you could owe it to the fact that the snake is after all salvaged from the original Python's corpse.

That and I can think of better feats for the Furies other than that Storm dimension. They recreated an illusion of Sparta with hills and mountains and a sun in the background (Where the King of Sparta is shown giving Kratos a sword), Tisiphone also made a dimension of Sparta with a moon in the background (At the Island of Delos). Her bird thing which she created and has complete control over because it's her energy, is responsible for the illusions and it appears as a blue-yellowish energy, which Tisiphone can channel to physically attack and wound Kratos. And of course, Alecto can do it as well. Megaera can't cast illusions for shit. And all the illusions are 100% tangible and real, even act like the real thing

I'd say so, it's mostly stuff like narration mentioning they can "bash open" kratos' head or the fact they can generally just kill him. Athena even mentions that they're an outright threat to Kratos which is consistent with them being the strongest monsters in the Greek games. Perhaps a split could work but honestly Trolls are said in the Playstation presentation to take effort to deflect with the Guardian shield and I believe the novel treats them as about that tough. I do think a split rating would work tho (Helson just gets at most 2-C I think)
Yeah that's not happening. Ever. Novels are secondary canon, with any contradiction favoring the game. Also the authors wrote the novel like that to add more suspense and tension to the overall story, their own words (At least for the GOW1 and 2 novels) as far as I can remember.

And in case I don't have to tell you, separating lore from games in general is an absolutely terrible idea.

No Norse feat is calc'd at 9-A.

-I want gameplay like GoW Ascension Multiplayer tbh, It's like combination of OG GoW Gameplay with RPG mechanics of GoW Norse. It also has Massive FOV and you can do some cool combo in it.

-Also i want open-world GoW game like Skyrim/GTA/Zelda.

-Bring back Sex Scene but better (Like witcher 3)

- As for myth, they should go to Egypt and after that Celtic, last would be shinto and judaism.

-I want gameplay like GoW Ascension Multiplayer tbh, It's like combination of OG GoW Gameplay with RPG mechanics of GoW Norse. It also has Massive FOV and you can do some cool combo in it.
FoV and gameplay took a backseat in Ascension. I'm unsure whether I'd want that.

-Also i want open-world GoW game like Skyrim/GTA/Zelda.
Way too much oversaturation. I think a more linear experience would suit it better.

-Bring back Sex Scene but better (Like witcher 3)
IDK man, kind of tasteless in GOW now that Kratos finally has a son to look up to. Not that any of them were good (Except for the models in Chains of Olympus)

- As for myth, they should go to Egypt and after that Celtic, last would be shinto and judaism.
Christianity would be better suited methinks, as that was originally the plan for Jaffe.

Really? So about 7-B?

The recent cloud revisions might change that.

Even without that, the tempest feat doesn't actually scale to the spear, it doesn't state that it channels the power of the storm, only that it was forged in it. Being forged in it =/= scaling to it, not even in durability because the storm is so big it won't be able to effectively put all its power into the spear due to its massive frontal area, not that it happened either.

But, the Python carcasses are relatively solidly into 7-B by my calculations, now one could ask how Kratos scales to the snake, well, they puncture through its mainframe many times but the snake itself holds itself up remarkably well even when beat to shit for such a massive thing. I guess you could owe it to the fact that the snake is after all salvaged from the original Python's corpse.

That and I can think of better feats for the Furies other than that Storm dimension. They recreated an illusion of Sparta with hills and mountains and a sun in the background (Where the King of Sparta is shown giving Kratos a sword), Tisiphone also made a dimension of Sparta with a moon in the background (At the Island of Delos). Her bird thing which she created and has complete control over because it's her energy, is responsible for the illusions and it appears as a blue-yellowish energy, which Tisiphone can channel to physically attack and wound Kratos. And of course, Alecto can do it as well. Megaera can't cast illusions for shit. And all the illusions are 100% tangible and real, even act like the real thing
Funnily this is something I've mostly been saying (Mainly the Spear thing lmao) for a while. You know my questions on the Furies but the Python Carcass is solid if it reaches 7-B, there's also the Ice that characters like the Talos, Theseus and Redeemed Warriors can create + the Cyclops doing big damage

Funnily this is something I've mostly been saying (Mainly the Spear thing lmao) for a while. You know my questions on the Furies but the Python Carcass is solid if it reaches 7-B, there's also the Ice that characters like the Talos, Theseus and Redeemed Warriors can create + the Cyclops doing big damage
Ice feats on that scale are useless (Trust me, I've seen the scale of enough popsicles on this wiki and they're absolutely not worth the effort at this scale, won't even get past 9-A because human-sized popsicles alone are baseline 9-A to a T, slightly larger than humans cones would be just as pitiful). Cyclops have grounds to be Tier 7 tho.

We have the snake feat's PE (It scales because it goes up and down mountains and is still in essence, containing parts of the Python and is still overall intact despite holes being everywhere and despite all those meandering curves. Meaning there's something more to the carcass than meets the eye. I'll publish it later when I get the time.

There is also Aegaeon to consider. He's a plot hole (Given that Kratos needed the Gauntlet of Zeus to stand a chance against Atlas who is equal in strength), but a plot hole we can't ignore.

I'd say so, it's mostly stuff like narration mentioning they can "bash open" kratos' head or the fact they can generally just kill him.
The Guardians stuff in GOW2 I'd just chalk up as pure complete PIS, this is literally after he just fought the two Sisters of Fate Atropos and Lahkesis. Novels are just a tad bit more dramatic than the games themselves.

The Guardians stuff in GOW2 I'd just chalk up as pure complete PIS, this is literally after he just fought the two Sisters of Fate Atropos and Lahkesis. Novels are just a tad bit more dramatic than the games themselves.
Would it be PIS? I mean i am assuming The Guardians are never stated to be downright equal or stronger than the Sisters? The fact that they can hurt and kill Kratos doesen't make them stronger than the Sisters. Pretty sure it wouldn't break any scaling either. Correct me if i am wrong.

Would it be PIS? I mean i am assuming The Guardians are never stated to be downright equal or stronger than the Sisters? The fact that they can hurt and kill Kratos doesen't make them stronger than the Sisters. Pretty sure it wouldn't break any scaling either. Correct me if i am wrong.
Fodder can also hurt and kill Kratos, does that mean we scale every single fodder to Kratos? No, absolutely not.

Also the "head-splitting" statement I rechecked. It happens in Chapter 6 (From a random Rhodesian soldier), not in Chapter 48 where the Sisters are already dead.

They're called Juggernauts.

Also technically speaking the Juggernauts can't kill Kratos that easily in the game regardless of what difficulty you have. He encounters them way before he even makes it to the main temple complex where the Phoenix is housed.

Fodder can also hurt and kill Kratos, does that mean we scale every single fodder to Kratos? No, absolutely not.
I know. But you could make some arguments regarding the scaling of fodder. My guess is that fodder don't scale to 2-C beacuse of how inconsistent they are as they are shown to struggle with normal human warriors and even get killed by them.

Maybe 5-C possibly High 4-C as a high end?
Yeah that's not happening. Ever. Novels are secondary canon, with any contradiction favoring the game. Also the authors wrote the novel like that to add more suspense and tension to the overall story, their own words (At least for the GOW1 and 2 novels) as far as I can remember.

And in case I don't have to tell you, separating lore from games in general is an absolutely terrible idea.
The cyclopes being a threat to demi god Kratos ain't really contradicted by anything tho. They are some of the most powerful enemies in the games.

But you make a good point on separating lore and gameplay.
No Norse feat is calc'd at 9-A.
Really? So Atreus is 9-A for nothing? Why do we assume dragur are 9-A?
Christianity would be better suited methinks, as that was originally the plan for Jaffe.
Me too, but who's to fight outside of Michael, Sampson, Leviathan, and Lucifer?

Ice feats on that scale are useless (Trust me, I've seen the scale of enough popsicles on this wiki and they're absolutely not worth the effort at this scale, won't even get past 9-A because human-sized popsicles alone are baseline 9-A to a T, slightly larger than humans cones would be just as pitiful). Cyclops have grounds to be Tier 7 tho.
Rip
And yeah Cyclopes have grounds to scale to Kratos, lot of stuff implying that
We have the snake feat's PE (It scales because it goes up and down mountains and is still in essence, containing parts of the Python and is still overall intact despite holes being everywhere and despite all those meandering curves. Meaning there's something more to the carcass than meets the eye. I'll publish it later when I get the time.
Ah ok
There is also Aegaeon to consider. He's a plot hole (Given that Kratos needed the Gauntlet of Zeus to stand a chance against Atlas who is equal in strength), but a plot hole we can't ignore.
Tbh I don’t know if we really did much to Aegean, like we just cut up his hands

it’s best to take it as an outlier since Aegean is supposedly > a prime Atlas
yeah it’s definitely a case by case basis; only those with proper grounds should scale
the Guardian I mentioned was the shield from 2018; it’s said to deflect Troll blows “far from easily”.

Rip
And yeah Cyclopes have grounds to scale to Kratos, lot of stuff implying that

Kind of still a low-ball for size because IRL Kirra is way closer to Sea level, but in Ascension, it's like high up in the mountains and even near ice cap. In Greece the snow line is roughly around the 2K+ meter mark based on Turkey's snow line (Turkey is right near Greece).

Tbh I don’t know if we really did much to Aegean, like we just cut up his hands
His mouth is one to take into consideration too.

it’s best to take it as an outlier since Aegean is supposedly > a prime Atlas
Nah, they're about the same strength as per Ariel's words. Only Cronos is stated to be slightly weaker.

yeah it’s definitely a case by case basis; only those with proper grounds should scale

the Guardian I mentioned was the shield from 2018; it’s said to deflect Troll blows “far from easily”.
Oh.

Though in 2018 I'd say it's more so Kratos holding back to not give away his godhood. In Ragnarok however, Kratos is not only deflecting and holding back from much larger creatures but now even pushing them back in a quasi-wrestling match.

Though in 2018 I'd say it's more so Kratos holding back to not give away his godhood. In Ragnarok however, Kratos is not only deflecting and holding back from much larger creatures but now even pushing them back in a quasi-wrestling match.
Definitely that, as he was blocking much larger creatures in 4 like the dragon

Kind of still a low-ball for size because IRL Kirra is way closer to Sea level, but in Ascension, it's like high up in the mountains and even near ice cap. In Greece the snow line is roughly around the 2K+ meter mark based on Turkey's snow line (Turkey is right near Greece).

His mouth is one to take into consideration too.

Nah, they're about the same strength as per Ariel's words. Only Cronos is stated to be slightly weaker.

Oh.

1) Hmm that's interesting (it's worth noting GOW very much does not reflect our own geography however). 2) True but we don't do too much damage and he collapses when Megaera is slain 3) Doesn't she mention Aegean has an edge in upper body strength? I'll have to consult the source 4) True, it's why I suggest a "split rating", reflecting that relativity to Kratos while accounting for the possibility that it's because he's holding back. I do feel size is an unreliable metric tho, we see smaller creatures be higher on the pecking order of strength then larger counterparts

3) Doesn't she mention Aegean has an edge in upper body strength? I'll have to consult the source
I believe it was in relation to Cronos, but we might never know because the OG question tweeter has gone private.

4) True, it's why I suggest a "split rating", reflecting that relativity to Kratos while accounting for the possibility that it's because he's holding back. I do feel size is an unreliable metric tho, we see smaller creatures be higher on the pecking order of strength then larger counterparts
A split rating for him holding back? There's no point, just scale the creatures by their own feats instead of trying to scale to whatever pseudo-level Kratos might be holding back to. Doubt they're as special as the Greek ones tho. What was the name of that winged lion head thingy again?

I believe it was in relation to Cronos, but we might never know because the OG question tweeter has gone private.

A split rating for him holding back? There's no point, just scale the creatures by their own feats instead of trying to scale to whatever pseudo-level Kratos might be holding back to. Doubt they're as special as the Greek ones tho. What was the name of that winged lion head thingy again?
1) I believe Cronos was mentioned but only that he was weaker then Atlas, in turn Atlas was relative to if not slightly weaker then Aegean in upper body strength. 2) Yeah that could work better (any that come to mind?). I do think an "At Most" rating would be appropriate for Mattugr Helson tho, dude is much more significant then the other Trolls, has no anti-feats and may well be a son of Hel (if she even exists at this point) and could be Kratos' descendant. 4) Manticore, the weird shark lion thing. There's also the Chimera which was a lion, goat, snake fusion dance

1) I believe Cronos was mentioned but only that he was weaker then Atlas, in turn Atlas was relative to if not slightly weaker then Aegean in upper body strength.
Hmmmmmm. Do you have a screenshot of the original questioner before they went private? Ariel's tweet regarding this is still fine, just not the questioner themselves.

2) Yeah that could work better (any that come to mind?).
Not too sure, Atreus is rated as 9-A but the Draugr have no profile or 9-A calcs to speak of.

Maybe the Troll stuff might wield something? IDK, I'd need good shots.

I do think an "At Most" rating would be appropriate for Mattugr Helson tho, dude is much more significant then the other Trolls, has no anti-feats and may well be a son of Hel (if she even exists at this point) and could be Kratos' descendant.
Mattugr Helson being an "At most 2-C" is fine to me, he's no ordinary troll after all.

4) Manticore, the weird shark lion thing. There's also the Chimera which was a lion, goat, snake fusion dance

Hmmmmmm. Do you have a screenshot of the original questioner before they went private? Ariel's tweet regarding this is still fine, just not the questioner themselves.
Not too sure, Atreus is rated as 9-A but the Draugr have no profile or 9-A calcs to speak of.
Maybe the Troll stuff might wield something? IDK, I'd need good shots.
1) No but I'll try and find it 2) Atreus' 9-A is based off the Spartan calc iirc, we'd need something else (I know he survives being sent through boulders but that's after he awakens his powers). The Trolls may have some decent AP feats we're missing tho (worst case Draugr are known to tear people apart so there's that); maybe we could calc the KE for their totems? It's low but it could be handy if we're desperate 3) And yeah I'm glad we agree, he presumably deserves a profile, sparse as it probably will be (unless he gets tons of hax from Ragnarok scaling lmao)

1) No but I'll try and find it 2) Atreus' 9-A is based off the Spartan calc iirc, we'd need something else (I know he survives being sent through boulders but that's after he awakens his powers). The Trolls may have some decent AP feats we're missing tho (worst case Draugr are known to tear people apart so there's that); maybe we could calc the KE for their totems?
It's low but it could be handy if we're desperate
PE would work but given how finicky the 2018 game is with photo mode, I can't make any promises.

Atreus survived from Baldur punch. So 2-C Atreus should be fine
Atreus got the wind kicked out of him with that singular punch.

Atreus got the wind kicked out of him with that singular punch.
They kinda went bonkers with Atreus at the end. He easily survived falls from likely over dozens of stories high with no damage…twice. Took hit a hit from Baldur albeit winded, repeatedly pierced Baldur with his arrows, caused Baldur to recoil from 3 of his strikes during the final QTE of the final Baldur fight.

I think the intent was to show that Atreus did get stronger during the game and did do damage to Baldur.

They kinda went bonkers with Atreus at the end. He easily survived falls from likely over dozens of stories high with no damage…twice. Took hit a hit from Baldur albeit winded, repeatedly pierced Baldur with his arrows, caused Baldur to recoil from 3 of his strikes during the final QTE of the final Baldur fight.

I think the intent was to show that Atreus did get stronger during the game and did do damage to Baldur.
We could use an "At most 2-C" rating in this instance. Atreus definitely gets a lot more physical in Ragnarok and can hold himself better.

Back