• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Why not? Too grindey?
Kinda. More so the unskippable cutscenes and walking sections in 2018 that I know I will not enjoy and did not enjoy.

Ragnarok has more walking and talking sections than 2018 had on top of long Atreus sections. I love Atreus' gameplay from what I've seen but the fact you can't play as him in free roam makes the gameplay experience after already experiencing the story far less enjoyable and makes his section feel like means to an end imo.

What if they had weapon loadouts like in Elden ring? Being able to select in Menu which weapon you'd like, and 4 can be kept on your person
That would be cool. But depending on if SMS game development philosophy for the game will be the same as it is for 2018 and Ragnarok, they might not do something like that.

SMS does need to bring back old-style god of war QTE's though. It's shameful how QTEs are implemented in 2018 and Ragnarok when the series was iconic for it's amazing QTE's.

The next game definitely will star Kratos. Still some unfinished business with Athena. And honestly no one really wants Atreus to replace Kratos. The most I'd want is a spinoff game with, kinda like uncharted lost legacy.
Athena had no part in this game and the mural at the end showing Kratos being revered as a Golden benevolent God King seems clearly setup to be the end of his character arc, since he doesn't want to kill Gods anymore.

SSM seems like they were trying to bribe the Kratos fans with a happy ending, encompassing a thought process like "See? We didn't Joel him. Kratos wins. Please be happy so we can move on with another character."

I'd almost be ok with that. Move on with Atreus and let him get better and better feats and let Kratos passively scale in the background to all of these future feats with in-game dialogue statements lol.

Kinda. More so the unskippable cutscenes and walking sections in 2018 that I know I will not enjoy and did not enjoy.

Ragnarok has more walking and talking sections than 2018 had on top of long Atreus sections. I love Atreus' gameplay from what I've seen but the fact you can't play as him in free roam makes the gameplay experience after already experiencing the story far less enjoyable and makes his section feel like means to an end imo.
They'll probably add the skippable cutscenes later. I'd definitely kill for more playable characters in free roam. Maybe Thrud, and Freya would be cool. Thrud especially since she now has Mjolnir.

The long walking sections I didn't like either, but it didn't really bother me that much.
That would be cool. But depending on if SMS game development philosophy for the game will be the same as it is for 2018 and Ragnarok, they might not do something like that.
Yeah true. I don't know if they'll do another formula change. But I could definitely see it as in some aspects it seems like they're slowly going back the old style of GOW.

Also, the longer the over the shoulder, companion last of us style games are popular the more GOW will be just that. However the From software formula is dominating the market currently. So who knows.
SMS does need to bring back old-style god of war QTE's though. It's shameful how QTEs are implemented in 2018 and Ragnarok when the series was iconic for it's amazing QTE's.
Yeah I agree.

Athena had no part in this game and the mural at the end showing Kratos being revered as a Golden benevolent God King seems clearly setup to be the end of his character arc, since he doesn't want to kill Gods anymore.
Yeah, Athena never showed up in the game, but she's still around. This won't be the end of his Character arc, because no one wants that lol, and his adventures in a new mythology doesn't have to be him going around killing everybody, he could be there to help. Or maybe Atreus gets in trouble, and he goes to help.
SSM seems like they were trying to bribe the Kratos fans with a happy ending, encompassing a thought process like "See? We didn't Joel him. Kratos wins. Please be happy so we can move on with another character."
Lmao yeah, I get u
I'd almost be ok with that. Move on with Atreus and let him get better and better feats and let Kratos passively scale in the background to all of these future feats with in-game dialogue statements lol
Atreus style really doesn't fit GOW. I think he'd be better for his spin off games instead.

I'd almost be ok with that. Move on with Atreus and let him get better and better feats and let Kratos passively scale in the background to all of these future feats with in-game dialogue statements lol.
Off-topic from what you're talking about but I think SMS could've pulled off having Kratos dying prophecy being true but in a game far into the future while Odin dying similar to how Kratos is depicted in the mural be an intended misdirection. That isn't possible now but it would've been insane.

Quora users proving that they share a single brain cell

I feel that the grounded perspective worked for the Norse saga but after that, I want SSM to got for all out spectacle and such.

I must say now that the initial high is coming down...the game kinda disappointed me.

No epic set pieces above the first Baldur fight. (Both Thor fights and the Odin fight were visually underwhelming). Yggdrasil is being downgraded. No noteworthy speed feats at all. Ragnarok itself ended up being a tiny event compared to what 2018 prophesied. Jormangandr was useless.

Idk. Now we gotta wait 5+ more years for a new game which may not even star Kratos.
honestly same and there are waaaaay too many lose ends with 2018, Like i am really disappointed that cory (the author of 2018) decided to not write ragnarok that was the actual issue if I am honest

Quora users proving that they share a single brain cell
dude don't even with that site for vs battles, like I like to go there to see what is happening there from time to time but its a whole mess people screaming and shouting at each other about which one of their favorite street and herald tier characters are actually boundless and why the characters they dislike are human level, while also calling Vs battles untrust worthy and a bad source of information (I mean we are not perfect but not that quora is something else, full on spacebattles vibes) the cites a mess on the fights

Like immeasurable speed I've heard and that's understandable. But I've never seen anyone argue Kratos is Outerversal lmfao
there are people doing it, one guy on youtube was trying to argue kratos for and I quote "fictional transendence" which as he explained it is "they referenced the playstations battle stars in character so its canon to the verse and as such they are 1-A" makes a lot of sense ay?

alos using the whole, the norns are archotypes and iron wood is a concept to wank them norse boys and girls to 1-A and kratos along with them, well that and the whole transending time thing that we use to get to low 2-C and low 1-C for different things

there are people doing it, one guy on youtube was trying to argue kratos for and I quote "fictional transendence" which as he explained it is "they referenced the playstations battle stars in character so its canon to the verse and as such they are 1-A" makes a lot of sense ay?

alos using the whole, the norns are archotypes and iron wood is a concept to wank them norse boys and girls to 1-A and kratos along with them, well that and the whole transending time thing that we use to get to low 2-C and low 1-C for different things
A lot of people will also wank God of War to 1-A via Zeus being able to contain concepts and using the concept of fear. And of course Kratos using Hope.

I feel that the grounded perspective worked for the Norse saga but after that, I want SSM to got for all out spectacle and such.
Yup. I'd honestly like them to go for a more linear approach to the world like the Greek saga, rather than more open world of the Norse saga.

And i want them to bring more of the "heavy metal" art style the Greek saga had. I also hope they don't make the Gods of the next pantheon look lame as the Norse ones.

Yup. I'd honestly like them to go for a more linear approach to the world like the Greek saga, rather than more open world of the Norse saga.

And i want them to bring more of the "heavy metal" art style the Greek saga had. I also hope they don't make the Gods of the next pantheon look lame as the Norse ones.
I don't mind the tamer look of the Norse Gods. I'd say it's pretty fitting since they're portrayed as just powerful superhumans with occasional magical ability, when compared to the Olympians, who were fully immortal and nigh-all powerful when compared to mortals.

That said, the Egyptian Gods were a lot more abstract and personified so I hope they go all out in that regard. Also yeah, I wouldn't mind a more linear approach in the next pantheon. Maybe something similar to the older Soulsborne genre.

King Hrolf Kraki should also get a profile. I know he'd get pretty much everything bifrost grants, fire manipulation, ice manipulation, electricity manipulation, poison manipulation, summoning, flight, homing attack.... Those are just some from the top of my head.

Atlas should probably just straight up get immeasurable lifting strength since he's stated by word of god to hold up the Greek World and is explicitly mentioned to mean everything under the greek pantheon.

"They created the Greek world. The Norse world was created by the Norse gods. Atlas holds up the Greek world as well."

Yeah that's part of the Tier 2 upgrade.

Not only that, this is the following conversation right after:

"TheAchievest: Alright, by world do you mean just Greece or the universe in Greek Mythology? That’s where I’m lost. Also would you say Kratos could kill a Primordial? Considering he killed gods and titans? Also are the Primordials and the Gods and Titans just as strong as one another? Thanks."

"Bruno: Yes everything related to the greek world falls under the greek pantheon and creation stories. Everything is based on geography, this is how all mythologies can coexist in one world. Kratos might be able to kill a primordial but we may never know."

By "world" here Bruno explicitly refers to the entire Pantheon itself, not just the Mortal World. As if that wasn't enough, refer to this as to how he said that the Primordials created the Greek World. There was no Mortal World back then. Just an empty void, Chaos herself. Which basically confirms that when he's talking about the Greek World he's not just talking about the flat mortal plain, but rather EVERYTHING ELSE that exists in it.

Infinite and High 3-A/Low 2-C aren't needed for the world pillar. It should be 2-C and have immeasurable LS.

Yeah, I will change them later once the CRT finally drops. I'll carry out all the specific edits in the sandboxes once the CRT is finished. The High 3-A/Low 2-C and Infinite stuff are just placeholders ATM, awaiting their doom.

If you do want it removed now though, I wouldn't mind it. High 3-A/Low 2-C were already approaching their expiry date anyway.
In case any of y'all missed it

Back