• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Once again, read the context, she's trying to flatter him. She also acquiesces that "Poseidonia" is a better name for the city then Athens
She wouldn't flatter him without good reason tho. Ares was just that much of a menace if Ascension is anything to go by.

You mean the one scene in III before he loses them? I wonder why
'Cause he has no reason to use them anymore, he could've discarded them when he was in the process of bringing over the Titans to the present since he now had the Blade of Olympus.

She wouldn't flatter him without good reason tho. Ares was just that much of a menace if Ascension is anything to go by.
That's... my point, Ares is a menace,. I'm arguing he's > Poseidon
'Cause he has no reason to use them anymore, he could've discarded them when he was in the process of bringing over the Titans to the present since he now had the Blade of Olympus.
Or he could have lost them in the river which is shown to take his powers and badly corrode his blades. The point is those powers aren't there anymore come the third game proper

Kratos drained his powers into the Blade and became mortal, by the end of GOW2 he took back that power for himself as per the novel and fought against Zeus even when the latter had the Blade for himself. That power didn't go into Zeus, it remained in Kratos. Why would Zeus suddenly have less control over the Blade that he himself forged with his own powers?
I mean isn't that just a flowery way to say that he took the blade with his power in it back?
You completely forgot Poseidon's Death Flood killing even more people on top and those stacking up on top of Hades.
again i highly doubt a few million souls that are at best 7-B (if we say every greek is a champion level fighter) would really affect the power of beings that swing around infinite 4D power levels squared

I mean isn't that just a flowery way to say that he took the blade with his power in it back?
No. It isn't. Kratos w/ Titan Powers fought against a BoO-equipped Zeus twice in a row and forcibly took the Blade for himself twice in a row. Zeus verbatim stated that even the powers of the Titans were completely useless against him now, which thoroughly indicates it wasn't just Titan Powers working against Zeus, Kratos's own godly might was now stacking up on said powers to be undermining all of Zeus's attempts to kill him.

again i highly doubt a few million souls that are at best 7-B (if we say every greek is a champion level fighter) would really affect the power of beings that swing around infinite 4D power levels squared
Clearly that amount of soul collecting over the thousands of years plus Atlas's soul has now effectively allowed him to one-shot Titans all across the board. Then there's also the countless prayers offered to the Gods that strengthen them further.

Clearly that amount of soul collecting over the thousands of years plus Atlas's soul has now effectively allowed him to one-shot Titans all across the board. Then there's also the countless prayers offered to the Gods that strengthen them further.
and statements that he is still weaker than posidon I mean half the population of the one country who warship the gods is dead they ain't getting more than twice as strong in a matter of 20 minutes

That's... my point, Ares is a menace,. I'm arguing he's > Poseidon
Okay and? I wasn't talking about Ares. I was talking about the rest of the Gods weaker than them. Like Helios, Hermes, Artemis, Apollo, those gods.

Or he could have lost them in the river which is shown to take his powers and badly corrode his blades. The point is those powers aren't there anymore come the third game proper
It is only ever shown to take his magic supply and neuter his magic bar, not that it actually power nulls him. Otherwise he would have lost his magical powers all those years ago in CoO and he wouldn't have been able to do jackshit about it because he was unconscious.

and statements that he is still weaker than posidon I mean half the population of the one country
Entire Population of the Greek World which has its own countries. Plural.

who warship the gods is dead they ain't getting more than twice as strong in a matter of 20 minutes
When you flood an entire world, the entire balance gets uprooted. Hades revels in the souls of the damned more than anything else.

Entire Population of the Greek World which has its own countries. Plural.
Im talking more like GoW way of doing countries which are whole **** off universes in some statements(tyr) to just basic countries that can be traveled to by foot or boat(kratos ragnarok)
When you flood an entire world, the entire balance gets uprooted. Hades revels in the souls of the damned more than anything else.
again 7-B souls at best are not gonna change the power level difference that drastically that quickly

Im talking more like GoW way of doing countries which are whole **** off universes in some statements(tyr) to just basic countries that can be traveled to by foot or boat(kratos ragnarok)
Ragnarok's statement was more so referring to Realm Travel in Greece, where Ratatoskr asks how the hell Kratos travelled between realm to realm in Greece despite the lack of a Realm Tree (Which is confusing because the only way to get to the Underworld is to fall through the chasms in Olympus and the Island of Creation, or by dying, and the only way back is through a Hyperion Gate or through the chasms which serve as tears in the fabric of space. All other realms require portals or Hyperion Gates to access or leave, Domain of Death is weird in a way because Kratos descends downwards back into the Mortal World but the Domain of Death is nestled in between the Mortal World and Underworld). The Pantheons themselves (Or countries in this case) are separated by geographical divides, and geographical divides are not interchangeable with the word "realms". These Pantheons inhabit an even greater Earth/Universe that is clearly much larger in scope than our own Earth.

But no, each Pantheon has their own set of realms with their own identical copies of all the other countries. Like Alfheim and Niflheim having their own versions of Egypt.

again 7-B souls at best are not gonna change the power level difference that drastically that quickly
It's not just the power level that amps Hades, it's the fact that he can endlessly torment them using brand new punishments and their pain is what gives him strength. Hades lives and breathes for the sole purpose of tormenting these souls for all of eternity.

Last edited:
Ragnarok's statement was more so to Realm Travel in Greece, where Ratatoskr asks how the hell Kratos travelled between realm to realm in Greece despite the lack of a Realm Tree (Which is confusing because the only way to get to the Underworld is to fall through the chasms in Olympus and the Island of Creation or by dying and the only way back is through a Hyperion Gate or through the chasms which serve as tears in the fabric of space, all other realms require portals or Hyperion Gates to access). The Pantheons themselves (Or countries in this case) are separated by geographical divides, and geographical divides are not interchangeable with the word "realms". These Pantheons inhabit an even greater Earth/Universe that is clearly much larger in scope than our own Earth.

But no, each Pantheon has their own set of realms with their own identical copies of all the other countries. Like Alfheim and Niflheim having their own versions of Egypt.
well i mean its clear as day that its larger but it is a bit iffy to be honest
It's not just the power level that amps Hades, it's the fact that he can endlessly torment them using brand new punishments and their pain is what gives him strength. Hades lives and breathes for the sole purpose of tormenting these souls for all of eternity.
still i really doubt that he got well over 2 times as strong in a span of an hour tops half the souls were not even done falling into the river by the time we merc the cool aid man

well i mean its clear as day that its larger but it is a bit iffy to be honest
It is what it is I suppose. It's the closest the devs thought they could get to without going too sci-fi, they hate to see GoW in that light.

still i really doubt that he got well over 2 times as strong in a span of an hour tops half the souls were not even done falling into the river by the time we merc the cool aid man
You're forgetting one more man in this equation. Hermes. He personally delivers all the souls to the gates of Hades the very moment they die (Which is like, seconds, tops, and Hermes delivers every single one of them to Hades' doorstep) and then ***** off to wherever he pleases because he's an arrogant piece of shit.

Even without the Souls being in the River, them being in the Underworld is already a boon to Hades.

You're forgetting one more man in this equation. Hermes. He personally delivers all the souls to the gates of Hades the very moment they die (Which is like, seconds, tops, and Hermes delivers every single one of them to Hades' doorstep) and then ***** off to wherever he pleases because he's an arrogant piece of shit.

Even without the Souls being in the River, them being in the Underworld is already a boon to Hades.
I know what im saying is that while hades is more than likely more powerful i doubt he got THAT much stronger since kratos no sold posidon like nothing which honestly makes sense since kratos was comparable to Zeus in GoW2 and actually stronger than him and Zeus was able to one shot the two brother kings like nothing

I know what im saying is that while hades is more than likely more powerful i doubt he got THAT much stronger since kratos no sold posidon like nothing which honestly makes sense since kratos was comparable to Zeus in GoW2 and actually stronger than him and Zeus was able to one shot the two brother kings like nothing
The power difference between Hades and Poseidon isn't that big compared to Zeus's overall power difference compared to those two combined. Poseidon is second in rank only to Zeus, yes, but nothing implies Hades being that much weaker considering he'd be growing in power at the same rate as his brother plus having the souls and their eternal torment.

Not only that, Poseidon was a lot more lenient compared to Hades, where Poseidon was even complaining about Oceanus becoming much bolder and threatening his kingdom using the power of the oceans to which Zeus berated him and stated that he wasn't worthy to call himself an Olympian if he couldn't even defeat a massively depowered Titan on top of Oceanus being the weakest, while Hades was royally pissed at Zeus and expressed his anger at his brother constantly for letting Kratos get away easily from his kingdom.

The power difference between Hades and Poseidon isn't that big compared to Zeus's overall power difference compared to those two combined. Poseidon is second in rank only to Zeus, yes, but nothing implies Hades being that much weaker considering he'd be growing in power at the same rate as his brother plus having the souls and their eternal torment.
I know that is kinda the point there is no way in hell hades managed to get strong enough to actually be able to keep up with end of GoW2 kratos who is as strong as GoW2 Zeus who i miles above both Hades and posidon put together

I know that is kinda the point there is no way in hell hades managed to get strong enough to actually be able to keep up with end of GoW2 kratos who is as strong as GoW2 Zeus who i miles above both Hades and posidon put together
Here's the funny thing, Kratos didn't win against GOW2 Zeus. He lost. Even with the Blade of Olympus now back in his hands to filter his power through. Zeus effectively brute-forced him into feigning defeat and playing possum to catch Zeus off-guard and then ram him through with the Blade of Olympus. Which of course, still didn't work no matter how many times Kratos just kept pushing through and then Athena came into the background after which Kratos literally swings the Blade to his left without actually pulling the Blade out AKA he literally just sliced through Zeus's ribcage as well via that animation and Zeus is still strong enough to gather himself and... fly away.

Here's the funny thing, Kratos didn't win against GOW2 Zeus. He lost. Even with the Blade of Olympus now back in his hands to filter his power through. Zeus effectively brute-forced him into feigning defeat and playing possum to catch Zeus off-guard and then ram him through with the Blade of Olympus. Which of course, still didn't work no matter how many times Kratos just kept pushing through and then Athena came into the background after which Kratos literally swings the Blade to his left without actually pulling the Blade out AKA he literally just sliced through Zeus's ribcage as well via that animation and Zeus is still strong enough to gather himself and... fly away.
he was still the closest to Zeus in power the difference between the two was not overly vast as it is with zeus and other olympians and him going from nearly as strong as zeus to being a stronger but still comperable to hades is such a massive powerdown its not even funny

that can only be explained through either hades all of a sudden becoming nearly as strong as Zeus or kratos loosing a chunk of his power in styx

Okay and? I wasn't talking about Ares. I was talking about the rest of the Gods weaker than them. Like Helios, Hermes, Artemis, Apollo, those gods.
KLOL swear to god 🔫
It is only ever shown to take his magic supply and neuter his magic bar, not that it actually power nulls him. Otherwise he would have lost his magical powers all those years ago in CoO and he wouldn't have been able to do jackshit about it because he was unconscious.
Except we also see it corrodes his blades and drains life force, the assumption is that’s the expats nation for Kratos having none of his powers from the last game

and no, Chains is a very different case since only the Gauntlet is called out as gone, the other stuff can be argued as remaining much easier

he was still the closest to Zeus in power the difference between the two was not overly vast as it is with zeus and other olympians and him going from nearly as strong as zeus to being a stronger but still comperable to hades is such a massive powerdown its not even funny
The moment Zeus goes giant mode again is the point where you see just how powerful Zeus really is. Kratos becomes hopelessly outmatched and outgunned no matter how hard he tries. Never mind the fact that Kratos constantly drains Zeus of his power using the Blade of Olympus and weaken him to his level, it's the one reason why Kratos tried getting the Blade to begin with (Even then Zeus was still slightly stronger than him as evidenced by him being able to easily yank the BoO out of Kratos's hands even after multiple beatdowns), but once Zeus balloons back up to full strength, it's a fool's errand.

that can only be explained through either hades all of a sudden becoming nearly as strong as Zeus or kratos loosing a chunk of his power in styx
Or, it can be easily explained by Kratos fighting a decently nerfed version of Zeus thanks to the Blade of Olympus's power-drain abilities.

KLOL swear to god 🔫
Bruh

Except we also see it corrodes his blades and drains life force, the assumption is that’s the expats nation for Kratos having none of his powers from the last game
The elementals? Maybe, or they could just be a way to signify the new weapons taking their place. The physical amps? Absolutely not.

and no, Chains is a very different case since only the Gauntlet is called out as gone, the other stuff can be argued as remaining much easier
Not talking about the Gauntlet part, that comes way later after Kratos frees himself from the Pits of Tartarus.

Last edited:
The elementals? Maybe, or they could just be a way to signify the new weapons taking their place. The physical amps? Absolutely not
I’m saying the weapons and magics, the actual Amps would likely remain
.Not talking about the Gauntlet part, that comes way later after Kratos frees himself from the Pits of Tartarus.
Oh you mean the powers he gives up before getting back explicitly?

I’m saying the weapons and magics, the actual Amps would likely remain
Cool, because for a second there I thought the physical amps were being put into question as well.

Oh you mean the powers he gives up before getting back explicitly?
Not sure if that involves the part where Charon dumps his ass into the river on their first fight, because that's what I'm talking about.

Does anyone have scans of all the time Zeus, Poseidon and Hades are said to be the strongest in the Greek pantheon?
It's all on Zeus's profile. I went through the trouble of scanning out every last one of them.

This comment collects all of them here.

Yes, he really is just built different.

As for sources? Repeatedly he is stated in multiple sources: in the Myth to Legend bonus video, GOW1 PS2 Manual and GOW2 PS2 Manual (Where Poseidon is stated to be second in eminence only to Zeus), GOW1 game itself in the Zeus' Fury obtaining scene, and in the GOW2 novel (This is where he angrily states that anyone who even thinks to betray him will be reduced to ash by his lightning bolt, and he threatens that as King he can do anything he pleases, even go so far as to violate the edict to not harm any gods, an edict he himself made up to avoid another Great War), to be the strongest and mightiest of all the Olympians, and that nobody can ever hope to challenge him in combat. The Three Olympians (Zeus, Poseidon and Hades) are stated to be unrivaled and unchallenged, that they are the strongest of all the Olympians, even in the GOW1 novel (The Three Olympians are called the Brother Kings), and in the GOW2 novel Zeus scares Hades and Poseidon shitless just by getting enraged and raising his voice, thrice in a row.

I must say now that the initial high is coming down...the game kinda disappointed me.

No epic set pieces above the first Baldur fight. (Both Thor fights and the Odin fight were visually underwhelming). Yggdrasil is being downgraded. No noteworthy speed feats at all. Ragnarok itself ended up being a tiny event compared to what 2018 prophesied. Jormangandr was useless.

Idk. Now we gotta wait 5+ more years for a new game which may not even star Kratos.

I must say now that the initial high is coming down...the game kinda disappointed me.

No epic set pieces above the first Baldur fight. (Both Thor fights and the Odin fight were visually underwhelming). Yggdrasil is being downgraded. No noteworthy speed feats at all. Ragnarok itself ended up being a tiny event compared to what 2018 prophesied. Jormangandr was useless.

Idk. Now we gotta wait 5+ more years for a new game which may not even star Kratos.
NGL the game wanked the Greek Pantheon too much.

Like, SSM, just release the Greek games on PC as they are. Nobody will complain.

The next game definitely will star Kratos. Still some unfinished business with Athena. And honestly no one really wants Atreus to replace Kratos. The most I'd want is a spinoff game with, kinda like uncharted lost legacy.

The next game definitely will star Kratos. Still some unfinished business with Athena. And honestly no one really wants Atreus to replace Kratos. The most I'd want is a spinoff game with, kinda like uncharted lost legacy.
They should completely overhaul the gameplay for the next mainline Kratos game and keep the Atreus' gameplay the same with new features, mechanics and weapons of course for a DLC or spin-off.

KLOL and Deceived arguing about Soul King vs Kratos or something like that
Me knowing that Nasuverse and Kamen Rider solo all of them
el-risitas-happy.gif

Same here. The first half was really good but it slowly started getting worse and worse after that.

They should completely overhaul the gameplay for the next mainline Kratos game and keep the Atreus' gameplay the same with new features, mechanics and weapons of course for a DLC or spin-off.
Yeah, with a soulslike camera, too.

I honestly think a From software style change is next, and honestly suits GOW
They should definitely remove all the RPG stuff and have a heavier emphasis on platforming.
That too. RPG elements are even worse in this game and it annoyed me

It seems like they're making the Blades of Chaos, Leviathan Axe, and Draupnir Spear mainstay weapons for Kratos. It would be interesting to see how SMS will make that interesting whether or not the next game will have a new combat style.

Now that the coming-of-age story is likely out of the way for Atreus, they can go for a more older style god of war narrative and gameplay where the game doesn't need an over-the-shoulder camera or more grounded experience.

Back