• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

isn't that more to do with the nature of helheim itself? its a frost axe and we see and hear from artreus that helwalkers are immune to the axe due to its nature as a weapon of frost we see it in our first encounter with one as well as in the gernal entries

Atreus's Notes
hese must've been strong Reavers back when they were alive. Now that they're dead, they are even stronger Hel-Reavers.
• These enemies will deflect Father's frost axe attacks. He'll have to use his fists instead to stun them.

• Hel-Walkers seem to draw their power from the frost, which makes Father's axe pretty weak against them. Good thing he's strong with his fists, too. I wish we had a fire weapon.
so I wouldn't really wager that the axe is pound for pound weaker than the blades of chaos but more so that in hel you might as well start using it as a cain as all the enemies in there are immune to is nature as a weapon of frost.
Nah, it's the cold and the magic potency. The fires in the other realms don't burn hot enough to light a blaze due to the sheer cold. Blades of Chaos are another story.

Also Brok straight up states that the Blades of Chaos are "special" when comparing it to Mjolnir themselves, even praising the build quality of the Blades of Chaos even though they're rusted to shit due to disuse.

Nah, it's the cold and the magic potency. The fires in the other realms don't burn hot enough to light a blaze due to the sheer cold. Blades of Chaos are another story.
I mean, if we are gonna go to magic potency than that would imply shit like the hel-rivers being 2-C for being able to tank the axe without any damage, as for the blades and no blade being able to light fire in the realm its a bit more of an overstatement becomes we see in ragnarok that surtur knows the makeup of the blades, is able to overcharge them with flame magic and saw that the blades have primordial flame in them which is similar to his own. I think its more a situation of the primordial forces of cold and fire meeting dead in the middle which allows for creation of flame through the blades. AKA less to do with power and more to do with what power it truly is
Also Brok straight up states that the Blades of Chaos are "special" when comparing it to Mjolnir themselves.

I mean that doesn't really say much? like people can create something great and see another creation of equal strength and say its special nothing that really screams oh wow that thing is so much stronger than my creations or anything of the sort to me it seem more like an acknowledgement of the blades being as powerful as the hammer and the axe.

I mean, if we are gonna go to magic potency than that would imply shit like the hel-rivers being 2-C for being able to tank the axe without any damage, as for the blades and no blade being able to light fire in the realm its a bit more of an overstatement becomes we see in ragnarok that surtur knows the makeup of the blades, is able to overcharge them with flame magic and saw that the blades have primordial flame in them which is similar to his own. I think its more a situation of the primordial forces of cold and fire meeting dead in the middle which allows for creation of flame through the blades. AKA less to do with power and more to do with what power it truly is
Those blades are the only blades capable of surviving Surtr's flames, that's the main reason. Every other blade he forged broke. It's a lot more about AP and durability here. Only something of Primordial nature could survive the flames of Surtr.

And the Blades themselves are fodder in the Greek Pantheon. Ares casually forged his own blade to rival the Blades of Chaos. Even the GOW1 novel states that the Blade of Artemis is stronger than the Blades of Chaos. The Blades of Athena are leagues superior due to the whole Olympian > Titan > Primordial scaling chain and the fact that Kratos has killed actual Olympians with this, so there's not much left to discuss on that front.

I mean that doesn't really say much? like people can create something great and see another creation of equal strength and say its special nothing that really screams oh wow that thing is so much stronger than my creations or anything of the sort to me it seem more like an acknowledgement of the blades being as powerful as the hammer and the axe.
Nah, Brok is genuinely impressed by the build quality and even stating this all while having built Mjolnir. Brok revels at every chance he gets to upgrade the Blades of Chaos to the point where he even constantly pesters Kratos in the upgrade menu that he will one day find out the secret to what makes those blades tick.

By how much are the Blades of Exile and Athena superior to the Blades of Chaos? Are there sources that state that they are much more powerful?
The Olympian > Titan > Primordial scaling chain should tell you of their superiority to the Blades of Chaos, that and Kratos literally fights against the Olympians using them. You really don't need statements at that point when you literally have the feats to show for it. Plus the Ares boss fight says it all, where most of Kratos's weaponry was barely making a dent against Ares' armor (In the novel Ares' armor is stated to be tough as nails and really hard to pierce through) and Kratos needed to use Ares' own spider-arms against him to deal any significant damage to him, and only the Blade of the Gods was strong enough to overwhelm Ares' defenses. Novel also states the Blade of Artemis, an actual godly weapon, to be far stronger than the Blades of Chaos verbatim, Artemis even stating that she used it to kill a Titan (This statement is both in the game and novel). That and the Blades of Athena are 100% of Olympian origin instead of being of Primordial origin, to serve as a replacement for the Blades of Chaos that he lost.

As for feats?

1. Kratos used the Blades of Athena to destroy Thanatos

2. Kratos used the Blades of Athena against the Titans and they could easily withstand the Rage of the Titans being poured into them, as is the case with Kratos channeling his powers into the weapons he uses. He then uses them against the Sisters of Fate, and then against Zeus wielding the Blade of Olympus against him.

3. Kratos uses the Blades of Athena against Poseidon and his Hippocamp, easily cutting down through them.

The Blades of Exile are even superior, considering they survived the corrosive waters of the River Styx that ruined the Blades of Athena, they could easily hold their own against Hades' own Claws, go toe-to-toe with Hercules' Nemean Cestus, and was used to give Zeus a vicious beatdown in GOW3. It was also the only weapon to survive Fear Zeus's full powered lightning blast alongside the Boots of Hermes, every other weapon Kratos had on him got trashed forever. Kratos then used the Blades of Exile to channel Hope through them to trash Fear Zeus effortlessly, not that Kratos needed them since he was basically a brick wall to Zeus and effortlessly blocked a punch from him.

GOW1 Novel Chapter 23

"The Blades of Chaos were comfortable in his hands, but he instinctively knew a more potent weapon would be required. The Blade of Artemis whispered out and blazed in his grip. With a long jump, he landed in a crouch near the Centaurs. Kratos reacted instantly to their attack, swinging the Blade of Artemis and cutting the legs of the leading Centaur from under it. A swift circular motion lopped off the Centaur’s head—and caused a blazing blue flame to erupt at one of the cardinal points in the circular pattern on the floor."

unknown.png

Ironically another feat for Kratos's Instinctive Action.

hey so where do we scale odin since ya know he took on kratos, freya and atreus at the same time

like what just below Zeus?
I guess you could indeed say that, since GOW3 Endgame Pre-Hope Kratos is Base Zeus's equal after all.

Only issue here would be that Odin would very quickly get negged by those two's significantly better AD that just explodes in short periods of combat to gargantuan levels.

I mean would it really be all that much of an issue cause kratos and Atreus had AD and he nearly killed them both before they could make any use of it before Freya came in with the noose save.

honestly Odin has a bit more versatility than Zeus it be an interesting fight to see if I'm honest

I mean would it really be all that much of an issue cause kratos and Atreus had AD and he nearly killed them both before they could make any use of it before Freya came in with the noose save.
That AD isn't nearly as potent as it was in Greek, as it now requires constant combat to engage and is a bit more sluggish in Norse due to Kratos having rusted out for so long. Kratos in Greek was considerably more battle ready, constantly going over conquests with his Spartan army, and his power siphoned off by Zeus and then transferred into the Colossus of Rhodes was causing the statue to grow insanely stronger every second without it even engaging in combat. And Kratos was still able to tango with it while no longer having the powers of a God.

honestly Odin has a bit more versatility than Zeus it be an interesting fight to see if I'm honest
Zeus's hax is much more potent and he's a Resistance cannon so to speak. Resists everything Kratos throws at him including EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HADES' ABILITIES VIA THE CLAWS. Which we plan to add to Kratos soon enough in the upcoming CRT. And a lot of other hax too. Norse guys will be relegated for another hax only CRT after the Tier only CRTs are handled.

GOW1 Novel Chapter 23

"The Blades of Chaos were comfortable in his hands, but he instinctively knew a more potent weapon would be required. The Blade of Artemis whispered out and blazed in his grip. With a long jump, he landed in a crouch near the Centaurs. Kratos reacted instantly to their attack, swinging the Blade of Artemis and cutting the legs of the leading Centaur from under it. A swift circular motion lopped off the Centaur’s head—and caused a blazing blue flame to erupt at one of the cardinal points in the circular pattern on the floor."

unknown.png

Ironically another feat for Kratos's Instinctive Action.
Thanks mate!

So, anyone have that post with the powers of Bifrost Energy? I think Heimdall would get most if not all of it considering how adept he is at it.

GOW 1 Ares.
GOW1 Ares folds. Without question. He's the 4th strongest after the Brothers Three.

The Olympians haven't exactly been sitting on their asses doing nothing. Zeus's own words that as Mount Olympus grew so too did the might of the Olympians themselves. And Ares has been in constant war ever since, growing even stronger than ever before, and by the time of GOW1, Athena was so terrified of her brother's antics she even prophesized correctly that if Ares kept warring for too long he would eventually become too powerful for even the combined might of Poseidon and Artemis to stop.

Last edited:
at this point I don't know if Kratos' statements are very reliable, especially after the statements about Baldur and Thor, but Sigrun must be at least somewhat comparable to Freya

at this point I don't know if Kratos' statements are very reliable, especially after the statements about Baldur and Thor, but Sigrun must be at least somewhat comparable to Freya
Like Planck said, Kratos tries to subvert himself way too much and tries to make himself look way weaker than he actually is, all in order to live a peaceful life and avoid another Olympus on his hands. He tries to keep expectations too low and he really doesn't have much of a positive outlook on life in general after everything that's happened, I mean, he tried to off himself multiple times in a row.

btw Implied many times in GoW R, kratos able to passive heal when using Rage Power.
We already knew that since 2018. He can passively heal himself with magic even without going into Rage Power. Those blurs we saw on him that healed him are magic balls. The devs stated this in a Reddit AMA.

Basically it means Kratos can heal to crazy levels whenever the **** he wants with no loss on his battle progress, even his exhaustion is a mental block he himself puts on to show a facade.

so would that mean GoW 3 kratos passive healling active all the time ???
Yes, but most of the time he doesn't even use magic to heal. Like in the case of Baldur, or in the case of Freya, or when he killed himself using Hope. Him using magic to heal is quite inconsistent, but it is something he does have from time to time just for the purposes of showing off.

He has also stated that if he could kill himself with his own Blades of Chaos by driving them through his heart, he would. But he can't, because he's cursed with immortality.

We already knew that since 2018. He can passively heal himself with magic even without going into Rage Power. Those blurs we saw on him that healed him are magic balls. The devs stated this in a Reddit AMA.

Basically it means Kratos can heal to crazy levels whenever the **** he wants with no loss on his battle progress, even his exhaustion is a mental block he himself puts on to show a facade.
Kratos tanking getting stabbed by Gungnir after it instantly killed Thor, as well as him getting stabbed repeatedly throughout the Norse saga and shrugging it off come to mind as well.

Kratos tanking getting stabbed by Gungnir after it instantly killed Thor, as well as him getting stabbed repeatedly throughout the Norse saga and shrugging it off come to mind as well.
A lot of those instances he just doesn't use magic to heal at all, there's a difference between him healing normally and when he uses magic, the magic almost always shows barely-visible balls of blurry magic, the latter part is mostly to show off their insane magical capabilities, as per the Devs.

Another funny thing. When Kratos stabs Zeus through with the Blade of Olympus, and Kratos stabs himself with the Blade of Olympus channeling the Power of Hope, both have big gaping holes in their torsos showing even the complete removal of their backbone (Like, you can literally see through that hole), and they can still walk around and even stand up without suffering any immediate forms of paralysis, and even recover quickly from it. Wonder whatever the hell that wields for powers or resistances.

How strong are the Valkyries compared to the Aesir Gods? Is Sigrun for example a more formidable opponent than Baldur was in 2018?
Sigrun was stated to be capable of defeating Odin in the guidebook:-

IMG_9989.png

Makes sense since her boss fight was a much bigger pain the arse than Odin's (I'm NOT using the fact that her boss fight was more difficult than Odin's to justify this scan by the way).

Last edited:
Sigrun was stated to be capable of defeating Odin in the guidebook:-

IMG_9989.png

Makes sense since her boss fight was a much bigger pain the arse than Odin's.
I really wouldn't use boss difficulty for supporting scaling, that's how we end up with Malenia>Elden Beast type stuff for example.

The statement is useful but I'm not sure how well corroborated it is by the games. Guess I'll see what the others think.

I really wouldn't use boss difficulty for supporting scaling, that's how we end up with Malenia>Elden Beast type stuff for example.

The statement is useful but I'm not sure how well corroborated it is by the games. Guess I'll see what the others think.
Not sure on using the Card Game but even without it Sigrun is treated as hot stuff (No bad thoughts please, NNN isn't over yet) by most of the gang as well as the Aesir due to being a Valkyrie Queen, I'd say she definitely has what it takes to at least scale to Freya if nothing else. Gna too, quite possibly.

Back