• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Ragnarok Discussion Thread

Anyway, @KingTempest, the Blades of Chaos have a variable AP rating but their dura is consistently Tier 2 even in their weakened, busted states. Do I just put "Varies depending on the user's strength, upto 2-C at its strongest"?

Besides, it's all Subjective. If you really want to wank, you can say they've already reached Tier 1, and the Ygg is Hyperversal, as we got official confirmation of infinite dimensions existing. But more in game context is need for it to be applied.

But hey, this ain't the end all be all, if you wish to argue tier 1 everywhere else, cool.

Look at me, I have Post Crisis Superman at Low 2-C, and argue for it off site all time.
Yep. Even I argue 1-B GoW outside V.S.B.W. because for me, the F.B. scan and 2 confirmations by Cory over it are more than enough. Cory even said that the promo posts are meant to go in depth into the cosmology and use complex scientific terms, so I consider them to be of the same importance as secondary canon sources anyway.

Yep. Even I argue 1-B GoW outside V.S.B.W. because for me, the F.B. scan and 2 confirmations by Cory over it are more than enough. Cory even said that the promo posts are meant to go in depth into the cosmology and use complex scientific terms, so I consider them to be of the same importance as secondary canon sources anyway.
Hopefully one day all of this is confirmed in secondary canon in some way, shape or form or we at least get some insight onto this "Well of infinite knowledge" and Athena.

BTW, what ability would it be for the Blades of Chaos to constantly keep returning back to its owner as form of a curse?

One Greater Earth or Universe, as he has claimed. Not that this "one Earth" is planetary in size.
They literally say that it's all on one Earth. Those are their words. You're just using headcanon now.
Way to miss the point that this "one universe" is referring to the greater universe AKA the franchise.
He's comparing the relationship between galaxies and the universe in the Hubble image to the various lands and the Earth in the games. He could not more clearly be talking about the cosmology.
Are you being serious right now?

This contradicts everything you just said within the games and other source materials, not to mention that Bruno's recent tweets were leading questions, which are explicitly forbidden under our WoG Rules. Read the last few pages and you'll see we discussed this thoroughly.
That is what you consider a leading question? Outright asking how big the setting is? Bro have you seen Kratos's profile? That thing is full of vague and leading questions. His entire speed stat is based off of a leading question of because whoever was asking was too scared to outright ask how fast Kratos is. That entire list of WoG posted is full of vague and leading questions. How about this, maybe for once the people in charge should just outright ask how strong and fast Kratos is supposed to be. "Is Kratos faster than light? Can Kratos destroy infinite universe or is he at that level of strength where he can beat people who can? Are Greece and Midgard part of the same Earth sized planet or are they two entirely different universes?"

See that? That's simple.

Also it doesn't contradict anything and is actually supported by the game. The writers say that it's all one Earth. The characters say that it's all one Earth.
This is also debunked by Ymir's Mural and the realms having their own separate Sun, Moon and stars. Not only that, the realms are literally admitted to being the literal alternate planes of existence, being reflections of each other, with portal travel from one realm's version of a destination landing you in that same exact destination the alternate realm regardless of where you start from.
Well it's a good thing that nothing in Ragnarok involves the sun, moon, and stars since Skoll and Hatti don't end up eating the sun and moon and nobody would scale to them anyway since it's pretty clear that outside of their weird energy forms when they fly in the sky they're just regular giant wolves.
Worse still, this flies in the face of the two Pantheons having completely separate Underworlds, and the fact that the realms and geographical divides are not interchangeable, period. Not to mention the countless other contradictions with the Sisters of Fate having their threads span all life and time (STATED BY KRATOS WITHIN RAGNAROK) yet not affecting the Norse Realms, and Poseidon being God of all Seas but now being dead. If it were all on one Earth, the other Pantheons would have felt the same devastation of the worldwide flood.
Yes, the Sisters of Fate have threads that span all life and time within Greece. I didn't realize I had to tell you this but the devs aren't psychic and didn't realize that they'd me making games set in the Norse lands decades later when they made mentions of the world in the first games. The Gods had dominion over their lands and nothing beyond it.
Cory and Matt have reiterated many times that all the Creation Stories of the Pantheons forging their own "universes" are all simultaneously true, inhabiting this "Greater Earth" and being separated by its "Geographical Divides".
So your argument is when they are saying that the entire setting takes place on Earth that's divided by geography that they are not actually saying that at all but are instead saying something completely different? When they say geographical divides, it's pretty damn clear that they're talking about geographical divides and not whatever headcanon you're coming up with.

I'm not gonna continue this since clearly it won't go anywhere but I wanted to make my response to yours at the very least.

Question, Would these New 2-C upgrades backscale to Previous God of War Titles?
It's well established throughout the game that Kratos is a shell of his former self and is not comparable to his peak in GOW 3 so shouldn't they get 2-C ratings as well? I know this is a slippery slope on who would scale but at the very least Zeus would be 2-C based on fighting Kratos at his most powerful

Question, Would these New 2-C upgrades backscale to Previous God of War Titles?
It's well established throughout the game that Kratos is a shell of his former self and is not comparable to his peak in GOW 3 so shouldn't they get 2-C ratings as well? I know this is a slippery slope on who would scale but at the very least Zeus would be 2-C based on fighting Kratos at his most powerful
Yes.

Render

image.png

They literally say that it's all on one Earth. Those are their words. You're just using headcanon now.
The only one using headcanon here is you. Read the tweets Crisis posted.

He's comparing the relationship between galaxies and the universe in the Hubble image to the various lands and the Earth in the games. He could not more clearly be talking about the cosmology.
And? That's where he shows the Pantheons to be separate.

That is what you consider a leading question? Outright asking how big the setting is? Bro have you seen Kratos's profile? That thing is full of vague and leading questions. His entire speed stat is based off of a leading question of because whoever was asking was too scared to outright ask how fast Kratos is.
Because if they did it'd be a ******* leading question. Instead they asked questions regarding what already exists in the game.

That entire list of WoG posted is full of vague and leading questions. How about this, maybe for once the people in charge should just outright ask how strong and fast Kratos is supposed to be. "Is Kratos faster than light? Can Kratos destroy infinite universe or is he at that level of strength where he can beat people who can? Are Greece and Midgard part of the same Earth sized planet or are they two entirely different universes?"

See that? That's simple.
You do realize that what you're demanding is literally the very definition of leading questions, right? They ask stuff outside of the things used in the game and other source material.

EVERY OTHER PIECE OF WOG IS SOLELY FOR CLARIFICATION FOR SHIT THAT ALREADY EXISTS IN THE GAMES AND GUIDEBOOKS. The questions you linked are in direct contradiction to Ragnarok itself and all other previous source materials, even going against Bruno's idea that they would never retcon the games like this, as it's too lazy.

Also it doesn't contradict anything and is actually supported by the game. The writers say that it's all one Earth. The characters say that it's all one Earth.
Care to check the "Greater Universe" tweet again please?

Well it's a good thing that nothing in Ragnarok involves the sun, moon, and stars since Skoll and Hatti don't end up eating the sun and moon and nobody would scale to them anyway since it's pretty clear that outside of their weird energy forms when they fly in the sky they're just regular giant wolves.
No. It's just them moving really fast.

Yes, the Sisters of Fate have threads that span all life and time within Greece. I didn't realize I had to tell you this but the devs aren't psychic and didn't realize that they'd me making games set in the Norse lands decades later when they made mentions of the world in the first games. The Gods had dominion over their lands and nothing beyond it.
Already you're ruining your own argument. The Sisters having control of all time within that land proves it to be separate from the rest of the lands. If it were not separate it would affect the rest of the Pantheons too.

So your argument is when they are saying that the entire setting takes place on Earth that's divided by geography that they are not actually saying that at all but are instead saying something completely different? When they say geographical divides, it's pretty damn clear that they're talking about geographical divides and not whatever headcanon you're coming up with.

I'm not gonna continue this since clearly it won't go anywhere but I wanted to make my response to yours at the very least.
And you don't get the fact that this "Earth" is not the ordinary Earth. It's clearly much more massive in scope as the tweets Crisis has just sent you (Which I am more than happy to say are actually legitimate). But you do you, I suppose.

Render

image.png
I already have a much more HD render that almost goes over Fandom's wiki size limits LOL

Anyway, before I go to study, here's my review for GoW: Ragnarok after I platinummed it yesterday (without spoilers):-

Story wise and graphically, it's easily the best GoW game. There's no competition.

I don't know why some people prefer 2018's story. GoW : R has a much bigger main story (it's like 2 games stuffed into one, yet it doesn't feel rushed to me honestly because of its consistent pacing) with more nuanced and fleshed out characters, a more gripping narrative, equally good (if not better) dialogues as GoW 2018, and more emotional depth. No character is one dimensional. By the end of the game, a closure to everyone's character arcs is given perfectly.

The quality of side quests is also far better as they're more diverse this time around and dwelve deeper into the lore. The enemy and boss variety have been amped up by a lot. Some of the side quests are so good that they're on the level of The Witcher 3's side quests, which is an open world R.P.G. game with one of the best side quests in videogaming history.

It's a visually stunning game both from a technical standpoint and its artstyle. It's probably the best looking P.S. exclusive right now, with one of the most realistic looking character models and animations I've even seen in a videogame. Now, let's talk about the gameplay.

Gameplay is much better than GoW 2018. Period. The combat and traversal are improved upon quite a lot. You get a pretty cool new weapon with its own set of runic attacks, you now have more runic attacks for all the weapons in general, and you can now use your weapons in Spartan Rage. After completing the game, you can even weaponise Mimir's head into an O.P. weapon.

The game is also a much bigger spectacle than GoW 2018. The very first fight with Thor is much more creative and chaotic than the Baldur final boss fight. Ragnarok has an insane amount of build up, and it doesn't disappoint. It kinda reminds you of the starting sequence of GoW 3 where the Titans are scaling Mt. Olympus and the Gods are fighting them off i.e. it's pure awesomeness.

Kratos feels much more maneuverable this time around in both combat and traversal, as he can now use the Blades of Chaos to grapple to certain points in the game's geometry and jump off ledges to perform a stomp kind of attack using the Leviathan Axe. The environment is also much more interactive this time around. You can use many environmental objects in combat. The game's arenas and general geometry gives you ample opportunities to utilise all these new abilities.

Basically, GoW: Ragnarok improves upon all the flaws which GoW 2018 had. It's personally my favorite GoW game now, though I still prefer the combat of GoW 3. It's easily G.O.T.Y. for me too, though it would likely not win because it's released very recently and Elden Ring has an advantage of being a cross-generation title.

Simply put, GoW: Ragnarok is a generational masterpiece and a sequel done perfectly. However, I have 2 nitpicks:

1. The final boss fight was quite underwhelming and it takes place right after the second last boss fight.

2. The game is too easy. Maybe it's because I have played too many Soulsborne games, but I breezed through the entire game (100%) even on Give Me No Mercy difficulty in 50 hours or so. There were only three boss fights where I died twice or more than that.

My rating: 9.5/10

You say that as if the creation lore and all historical events of inside each Pantheon don't involve celestial and cosmic objects.
Spans all creation.
Time already spans all cosmic space with how it works and is treated on site.

So apparently Forseti, God of Justice and Reconciliation exists in GOW. That's strange because he's Baldur's son, and we all know due to his curse he can't have kids. Maybe he was born before the curse? Or maybe he's not Baldur's son in GOW? Apparently he was cut from Ragnarok, and was supposed to be a forensics type guy.

So apparently Forseti, God of Justice and Reconciliation exists in GOW. That's strange because he's Baldur's son, and we all know due to his curse he can't have kids. Maybe he was born before the curse? Or maybe he's not Baldur's son in GOW? Apparently he was cut from Ragnarok, and was supposed to be a forensics type guy.
He was mentioned in Ragnarok

Yeah like I said earlier. The entire game felt like it just rushed through the entire Norse pantheon in order to set up the New Kratos's journey.
I definitely feel like there was a third game planned for the Norse pantheon that got cut
Richard Gaubert confirmed in a PlayStation developmental update video that they debated a lot on whether the Norse saga should ultimately be a duology or trilogy, and Cory ultimately decided that it shouldn't be a trilogy as he didn't want the players to wait for 5 more years to get to play the 3rd part (making the entire trilogy span nearly 15 years). Cory also said later on that the story of Ragnarok and the concerned character arcs can easily be completed in one game.

Yeah like I said earlier. The entire game felt like it just rushed through the entire Norse pantheon in order to set up the New Kratos's journey.
I definitely feel like there was a third game planned for the Norse pantheon that got cut
That was definitely the case. I imagine it was by and large caused by the gameplay not having many more ways to evolve without changing how it fundamentally works.

Richard Gaubert confirmed in a PlayStation developmental update video that they debated a lot on whether the Norse saga should ultimately be a duology or trilogy, and Cory ultimately decided that it shouldn't be a trilogy as he didn't want the players to wait for 5 more years to get to play the 3rd part (making the entire trilogy span nearly 15 years). Cory also said later on that the story of Ragnarok and the concerned character arcs can easily be completed in one game.
Another reason they mentioned is that they wanted people who only had ps4s get to experience the full story of the Norse world and a third game would've likely been too technically advanced for the ps4. Completely ridiculous but whatever.

Ikr. It honestly does feel like they rushed the Norse Saga. They did introduce some great characters still. But you can feel that there is still much left.

I get where Cory is coming from too tho.

I mean, we have to consider that the entire Greek saga was completed in 5 years (not counting GoW: Ascension). And the Greek games individually were like 8 hours in length at best (and they were linear). There were a total of 5 Greek games (not counting GoW: Ascension and the Java mobile game GoW: Betrayal), so that's around 40 hours of content. If we include GoW: Ascension, you're looking at 50 hours of content.

GoW 2018 and GoW: Ragnarok have a total main campaign duration of 45-50 hours, and both of them are open world games with side quests. They're more time consuming to make. So content wise, both Greek and Norse saga are equal (around 50 hours of story).

Now, of course, they could've made a third game introducing more new characters, bosses, and expanding the lore even further. But then the entire trilogy would've spanned 15 years, and the overall gameplay structure would've been too changed compared to GoW 2018. Not to mention, juggling too many plot lines and character arcs simultaneously would have resulted in the loss of a confined and tight narrative.

I personally didn't feel that GoW: R was rushed. The pacing was perfect and they managed to expand the story and scale without going overboard, keeping the narrative tight. The only thing I felt was rushed was the Odin boss fight. It felt underwhelming and kinda like an Elden Ring boss fight (albeit much easier).

Last edited:
It was definitely rushed.

But this means one thing and one thing only.

We're closer to the future sagas

Back