• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Norse Pantheon Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree with Matt

We don't know big the realms are, if planet sized or legit universe sized. Some feats stated have not happened yet, so we can't put them because we don't know how exactly they will work

I just noticied you suggested we ignore important plot points such as Kratos becoming pretty much a hermit and weakening to support this upgrade which doesn't make much sense considering Greek Kratos is peak Kratos so it would backwards scale back to that version.

Some of these feats being used as evidence are consistently being challenged by Kratos and as far as we know it's all borderline Myth. Don't the Norse people think they're the only people in the "world" because of the separation?

How can all things come from Ymir if in the previous God of War they stated all things came from Ouranous did they not? Nothing in God of War lore is reliable at all.

I also agree with Sigurd in one bit, this Kratos is implied to be weaker... and it will break the scale on the original GoW games

Also, did you read the blog Sigurd? Kratos is in like... another universe or something, go read it. The lore is still reliable, but they are bound to their "universe". Plus, if they were on the same universe, the planet would already be rekt from the deaths of the gods of Olympus, and it is not

The sun is still there shining fine

Nothing is flooding

Nobody is dying of sickness

No volcanos or collapsed atmosphere

WoG has to be wrong, I mean... the disasters that happened in Greece would have REKT the planet via colateral damage. I mean, in real life, Toba by erupting caused winter to show up early... now imagine flood + a shit ton of volcanoes + sickness + no sun

I have doubts that Nordic Midgard is different from the Earth of the Greek Games. Seems to me it's the same thing with a different name.

Sigurd Snake in The Eye said:
They're not in another "universe" an interview literally states Kratos got on a boat and got there by one of the writers.
Except this is false since Kratos himself doesn't know how he got to the Norse realms. When he sees Skol and Hati he wonders if those were the beasts that swept him to this land because he has a flashback.

The world is not rekt via colateral damage caused by Greece, it can't be the same place. Why is everybody ignoring that point?

And if you try to say "the gods protect it", show evidence of it

Numbersguy said:
The world is not rekt via colateral damage caused by Greece, it can't be the same place. Why is everybody ignoring that point?

And if you try to say "the gods protect it", show evidence of it
What do you mean? I proved in my blog that these aren't the exact same places.

I was talking to Sigurd, not Kep. I was telling him that they can't be on the same universe, because it won't make sense considering that Kratos causes a ton of disasters that would affect worldwide

-Killing Helios caused the entire planet to not recieve sunlight correctly. We see that the the sun is just fine in Midgard

-Killing Poseidon caused gigantic tsunamis and the sea levels rose, that would eventually affect all of continental Europe and the Vinlands... and we don't see "Midgard" flooded to hell and back

-Killing Hermes caused plagues to show up all over the planet. Nobody is dying in Midgard of sickness

-Killing Hades caused the dead people to come back to life. We don't see souls in Midgard causing havoc

-When Hera died every single plant died. Midgard has no damage to plants

Also, the wiki splits Midgard and Greece

@Sigurd actually the canon novelisation claims someone brought Kratos there. I'd also note that Baldur tells Kratos he should never have come to Midgard which has precedence when we combine this with the explanation of a Realms nature and Numberguy's poing the apocalypse from III would have severe consequences on Midgard.

Now Mimir knows of Greek Myth and Freya figures out who Kratos is which tells me people do know of this but due to the fact the Aesir and such travel realms and one of them opened up democratic relations with some (Tyr) it's likely they know of the destruction of the Greek Gods

We do see souls wreaking havoc in Midgard but that's more due to the Valkyries then an alien God from another realm

Matt and I talked for a while over Discord - we have decided to postpone this discussion for today. There were some points we agreed on and others we disagreed, but it's pretty much late into the night and we have to go to sleep.

Rest assured this will take quite a while to be dicussed overall.

As much as I want to accept this upgrade, many of the things Matt brought up has given me pause.

In addition, we have to consider that events are not going down as predicted in universe. IIRC, Magni and Modi were supposed to survive Ragnarok but were killed before it even started. Baldur wasn't supposed to die until like a hundred years later from the present time, but he's dead and Ragnarok seems to have started early with the seeming start of Fimbulwinter at the end of th game.

Simply put, not only has a lot of events not happened yet, they may never even occur.

Good to know that this is being discussed rationally. I hope we reach a concluson on this.

@TheC2

As evidenced by the World Serpent, Ragnarok occurred exactly as predicted on the future timeline, but these feats got timeline-retconned due to the fight between Thor and the Serpent casting it back in time. Which means the prophesized feats are all applicable.

I have to state that although Kepekley doesn't seem to have included it on his blog, there is, without a shadow of a doubt, stars and nebulae surrounding branches of Yggdrasil, without counting the triptychs. There are actual scenes in the game portraying real nebulae swirling around the branches while you're walking around them , not even just the one jump.

Also, something that Kepekley doesn't seem to have included either is that there are multiple murals regarding Tyr and the galaxies and constellations, there is one mural which shows the bridge completed, but there is also a mural which shows him standing on the empty void without holding the Unity Stone, which symbolizes Kratos's portal jump.

@WindGodAcheron

Except that we already know that you can't trust all these events that are being foretold to us. As Matt pointed out we don't actually have an emprical evidence for many of these things.

Mimir theorizes that Thor struck the World Serpent so hard that he splintered the World Tree and sent the Serpent back in time. However, we can't prove that and the fact that events are playing out differently than what was foretold means that there are many possibilites for how something could go down.

EX: Thor and the Serpent's fight. For all we know, something else could have happened that sent the Serpent back in time during the fight but it's simply credited to be all Thor's doing.

What I'm getting at here, is that the game paints a picture of mystery, where we don't know what exactly is for certain except what we actually see and experience. If we can't trust the depictions of foretold events, then we can't make assumptions about them and how things will go down.

> Except that we already know that you can't trust all these events that are being foretold to us. As Matt pointed out we don't actually have an emprical evidence for many of these things.

Except, as stated by the actual interviews, Word of God and characters who know the Norse tales better than Kratos (who is the only one who doubts the myths), all of the Norse creation myths and the interpretations of the myths are legitimate. The only thing against is that Kratos, who doesn't know anything about the Norse myths, and even that is out of context since the reason why he doesn't believe in them is because of the hidden personalities behind these feats.

And just no about the World Serpent. It is quite literally empirically proven that that's what happened, the Serpent itself all but confirms it. You are basically saying we should make stuff up rather than actually trust WoG-confirmed true depictions of the lore told to us.

Let's stop the discussion for the time being and wait for the dawn. Tomorrow we will have more general time to talk about this. Both Matt and I are probably going to be asleep within half an hour anyway.

• cue Dragon Ball fight theme*
Yeah, Kepkeley seems to be having the most reasonable and in-depth arguments so count me in for agreeing wih the OP. Most of these reservations are clearly answered in-depth in the blog. I will wait how the Discord discussion turns out in the end, however.

Matt does make some pretty good points, but I'm still in support of the upgrades. Especially since I'm pretty sure that a lot of people here would want to see Kratos Vs Spawn happen.

Anyway, let's wait for Matt and Kep to come back tomorrow.

I never even said I agreed with him, just point out that he does make good points. And my actual reason is just much of the other things Kepekley laid out on his blog and pointed throughout the thread. Also, that Vs Thread was a minor joke, don't take it too seriously.

Also, just for the sake of completion:

• Moon and sun being literal people in flying chariots chased by hungry wolves
This is a false statement. The God of War guidebook outright refers to the sun and the moon as celestial bodies and stars chased by Skol and Hati, not "people in flying chariots".

• Stars being embers that flew from the forges of Muspellheim into the skies above (Also evidence that all realms share the same skies and stars)
This is literally never stated by the characters and I thoroughly argued the realms point in my blog, with several points at contention, such as the Realm Tears, which are literally holes in the fabric of reality itself and yet these holes only affect the realm they're on. If you go to the same coordinate on another realm you won't find another one, they're scattered through different points in the realms.

It just means Surtr has a large area-of-effect here.

• "Worth noting that the later is dismissed as being merely "possible" and not a definite fact in the game itself by the man who tells the tale."
All the creation myths and legends are stated multiple times to be all true at the same time, unless directly contradicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back