• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

God of War: Norse Pantheon Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Schroeder said:
Midgard is the Nordic Universe, but assuming that it is identical to our universe is a stretch without proof.
The Greek Earth having a real universe was only proven with Ascension when we actually saw visuals of it. Before that we didn't know much of the cosmology beyond just the Earth. Maybe if we get visuals in a future game I'll accept it.
But why? kep already said the standard is it's a universe unless counterdiced, and then you'd have to make the clame the greek universe is far bigger then the northic ones, I just don't understand.

It is the standard assumption we take in this wiki, actually, that things are the same size unless outright otherwise proven. If you go by strength of the visuals then the new Norse Realms are shown to contain real nebulae, drawings that strongly resemble galaxies, and real celestial bodies. And the Greek Games only showed nebulae and galaxies. No different than what the Norse Game shows.

I really disagree with waiting for 2021 for something that already seems to be reasonably clear-cut.

Said assumption does not apply to universes with clearly mythologizes worlds and cosmological explanations for how things work, a opposed to a mostly scientific, merely alternate world in which most fictions are set. There's a big difference in assuming that the universe of say, RWBY, works the same as our own, than the Norse Mythology universe which is composed of nine realms hanging from the branches of a cosmic tree with the stars being forged by a fire giant.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Said assumption does not apply to universes with clearly mythologizes worlds and cosmological explanations for how things work, a opposed to a mostly scientific, merely alternate world in which most fictions are set. There's a big difference in assuming that the universe of say, RWBY, works the same as our own, than the Norse Mythology universe which is composed of nine realms hanging from the branches of a cosmic tree with the stars being forged by a fire giant.
But where in the rules does it state this difference?

It's common sense, really. You do not assume that a heavily mythologized cosmology / setting is the same as our own. But if a clarification is required I could make a thread about it.

> RWBY

RWBY is a bad example in this scenario. It is a heavily mythologized world created by two Gods which change their forms from primordial dragons to two normal humans constantly depending on the recall, and filled with monsters and ancient myths and legends which are ambiguous. RWBY has less evidence to be a true world than God of War does, given you literally only see the Earth and the Moon and the night-sky, and nothing more, and yet we still assume it to be equivalent to the universe. There is no reason not to, afterall.

And again, nobody is talking about the Nine Realms here. We're talking about Midgard, which is our universe. The other realms scale via statements comparing their sizes, nothing more.

There is absolutely no reason to assume that Midgard, which is our universe except inhabited by gods and beasts, is literally any different than the real universe. This is quite a gigantic double standard, considering Midgard has more solid evidence to be universal in size than the vast majority of fiction, which we just assume to be universe-sized because of basic standards of evidence.

Let's review the evidence in GoW's favor:

• Galaxies are a thing
  • Nebulae are a thing
  • Word of God states that the size of the universe is the same (which we will obviously discard and hang on headcanon)
  • The series has an obvious precedent of real universes.
Seriously. Let's stop bending rules just to prevent a perfectly agreed upon, legitimate upgrade from going through. This is extremely telling here.

I have to agree with kep, this logic clearly hasn't been presented in any veres before and even some mythlolgical gods are rated as tier 2 on here (eqyption)

Also, wasn't Tyr said to have traveled far and wide? He had treasures and gifts from all over the world. Shoot, that confirmed that Egypt exists with Gods and everything and he even had a piece of pottery from Greece that depicted Kratos.

I'd say it's pretty safe bet that Midgard is our world until proven otherwise.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Lord of the Rings has on page universal creation, what are you talking about. Ever read the Silmarillion?
But did that ever come up in discussion well making the pages?

Also, verses like My Little Pony are rated as Tier 4 based off of sun moving feats, despite the fact that said Sun revolves around a planetary, normal-sized Earth and the only thing confirming it to be a real sun is a Word of God which says "it is"

I personally do not disagree with this rating at all, I agree because it's very natural and standard and is confirmed by Word of God, but it shows what our actual standards in this are. We don't need to go out of our way to try and change the standards just to downplay God of War feats - not only would that be ridiculously biased (making a general statement and not pointing fingers) but would downgrade literally everything and tighten standards to an extremely unrealistic degree.

Again, this is about Midgard and not the other realms, which receive their size via statements of them being identical to Midgard in stature, and Midgard's rating receives the support of

• Galaxies
  • Nebulae
  • Real Stars
  • Word of God saying Midgard is universe-sized
  • Clear and set precedent from the past games
Really, it can't get any more obvious than that, unless you legitimately want them to say that each realm is 90 billion light years wide and I don't have anything to say to the sheer scale of nitpick that entails.

I should say I have not readthe lord of the rings books but I just did not imagine a statment in words on a page a writer like that would describe would be better evidence then what's been presented for this game so far.

We actually see realistic planets, a realistic moon and realistic astronomy which would be impossible on a fake cosmology.

Also, "But this would mean this other series would be downgraded too!" is hardly ever an argument. Besides, the situation isn't nearly so black and white as you are presenting, Acheron.

"Explicitly real cosmology" s false. In MLP we never, ever see the actual Sun in outerspace, only when Celestia is moving it.

Legit trying to say MLP which is a geocentric verse that only ever focuses on the Earth and the Sun and has a WoG and nothing else has more evidence than GoW, which has galaxies, nebulae, a clear precedent and WoG to back it up...I have nothing to say that.

It is very much black and white.

And I ain't trying to downgrade MLP either for the MLP fans - I'm just pointing out the massive faults in the logic here.

Matthew Schroeder said:
We actually see realistic planets, a realistic moon and realistic astronomy which would be impossible on a fake cosmology.
Also, "But this would mean this other series would be downgraded too!" is hardly ever an argument. Besides, the situation isn't nearly so black and white as you are presenting, Acheron.
1 I don't understand what your referring to? Mlp?

2 a better statment is this, this logic has never been used in other veres and it's legitimacy should not be discussed for the first time in the revision of a verse, matt I do think you should make a broader revision thread to discuss this idea and have it apply to the wiki as a whole well in the mean time allow the god of war pages to be revised by the old rules until that larger more brode revision is finished.

Also, we literally never assume fictional versions of our universe are any smaller than the real thing without evidence (which so far has been absent and is just "you have to prove it is as big!" ignoring our standards and Occam's Razor and in fact actual evidence that it is that big).

You are yet to show this so-called "unrealistic cosmology" at all

I have applied the upgrades now, since we sort of reached the consensus in this thread.

@Huesito

His 4-A key scales to this multiplied by 9

So, I guess a rating compromise was reached, though I don't see it. A large part of the support from, staffs and members alike, still falls in 2-C tier rating, so was a likely rating really necessary?

Nedge1000 said:
So, I guess a rating compromise was reached. A large part of the support from, staffs and members alike, still fall the 2-C so was a likely rating really necessary?
The latter half of the thread agreed on a "4-A, likely 2-C" compromise.

It doesn't come from clouds but it's likely since their father could (as indicated when Modi gets beat and the storm starts) and they are lesser thunder gods as well (I also believe Andiks had a scan of Kratos throwing his axe in the RBR so far he can't even see it before summoning it back in an instant

There is a part during the fight with them that lightning seems to come from the sky, but other than that, they don't directly show cloud-to-ground lightning, like Hellbeast said though, it's probably at least that fast as their dad does show cloud-to-ground lightning. Also, I wonder if Baldur being the God of light and all means anything, he does imbue himself with light and uses light powered attacks, and even sends light at you through shockwaves in the first fight, but that isn't really how light works so I doubt it means anything. The Valks are pretty fast though, with the whole being able to travel to all the realms at once to take the dead away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back