• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garchomp VS Roronoa Zoro (0/7/0) [Grace]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I should've asked this here, but does Garchomp have plausible win conditions here? If so, what are they, given the vote count lists 3 votes for Garchomp?

If I understood previous arguments correctly, doesn't Zoro have feats about casually outskilling opponents with 8-folded instances of Instinctive Reaction, & very strong Precognition & Augmentation Haki?
Ergo, wouldn't Zoro dodge every single attack easily, & when he doesn't dodge them, block them?

Maybe I should've asked this here, but does Garchomp have plausible win conditions here? If so, what are they, given the vote count lists 3 votes for Garchomp?

If I understood previous arguments correctly, doesn't Zoro have feats about casually outskilling opponents with 8-folded instances of Instinctive Reaction, & very strong Precognition & Augmentation Haki?
Ergo, wouldn't Zoro dodge every single attack easily, & when he doesn't dodge them, block them?
The opponent has AOE... How is Zoro dodging or blocking an earthquake? Besides maybe attacking him before with range slash or something... Zoro will be slower than his opponent, the opponent has AP advantage. This isn't a stomp

The opponent has AOE... How is Zoro dodging or blocking an earthquake? Besides maybe attacking him before with range slash or something... Zoro will be slower than his opponent, the opponent has AP advantage. This isn't a stomp
Zoro has Precognition (Meaning he knows it's coming before it starts.), & he can jump, can't he? & doesn't Armament Haki help endure damage from things like the impact of an earthquake?

I will admit that I hadn't considered AoE moves, however.

Zoro has Precognition (Meaning he knows it's coming before it starts.),
Yes he will... But the starting range is 5km...
& he can jump, can't he?
Well if that works than yes
& doesn't Armament Haki help endure damage from things like the impact of an earthquake?
That doesn't make sense at all.... Isn't earthquake supposed to deal damage even tho in air or something? Kinda like an unavoidable move?

• Dragon Breath: Gible exhales a mighty gust that inflicts damage. It may also paralyze the target.
  • Bulldoze: Gible strikes everything around it by stomping down on the ground. This lowers the Speed stat of those hit.
  • Dig: Gible burrows underground to avoid damage, and comes up later to attack with earth energy.
Some moves that will be helpful to garchomp

Yes he will... But the starting range is 5km...

Well if that works than yes

That doesn't make sense at all.... Isn't earthquake supposed to deal damage even tho in air or something? Kinda like an unavoidable move?
By game mechanics, Earthquake doesn't hit Pokemon with the Levitate ability, Pokemon which have used the Magnet Rise move, or Pokemon which are Flying type.
Animations often depict it as splitting the ground. Unless debris flies up or there's a shockwave, I dunno why it'd hit something in the air.
  • Dragon Breath: Gible exhales a mighty gust that inflicts damage. It may also paralyze the target.
Still a singular directional breath. A cone or a cylinder, projected from Garchomp's mouth. Moving aside may work.
  • Bulldoze: Gible strikes everything around it by stomping down on the ground. This lowers the Speed stat of those hit.
Similar issues to that of Earthquake.
  • Dig: Gible burrows underground to avoid damage, and comes up later to attack with earth energy.
Zoro never fought enemies who burrowed before? I guess Usopp did when he fought Mr. 4 & Mrs. Merry Christmas, but that wasn't Zoro, obviously.
Still, just predict where Garchomp emerges.

Garchomp can also fly...
I'd question how useable something like Bulldoze -Done by stomping the ground- is while in mid-air. Earthquake MIGHT be doable if they can remotely manipulate the ground or start it with an impact like a shockwave.

But there's a bigger issue with this, which is that, AFAIK, Mega Garchomp CAN'T fly.

Garchomp:
"When it folds up its body and extends its wings, it looks like a jet plane. It flies at sonic speed."
"It is said that when one runs at high speed, its wings create blades of wind that can fell nearby trees."

Mega Garchomp:
"Excess energy melted its arms and wings, transforming them into giant scythes."
"Its vaunted wings become scythes, sending it mad with rage. It swings its scythes wildly and slices the ground to pieces."
"Its arms and wings melted into something like scythes. Mad with rage, it rampages on and on."

The implication of its flight being mentioned after stating its resemblance to a jet when it extends its wings, & the implication of its "vaunted wings" being "melted"/turned into scythes.... I would assume it cannot fly without evidence to the contrary.

Also, obviously, Mega Garchomp, which this thread is used, has different in-character behaviour, being perpetually angry, & explicitly predisposed towards slashing with its scythes, so I'd question the likelihood of it using its ranged moves anyway.

The implication of its flight being mentioned after stating its resemblance to a jet when it extends its wings, & the implication of its "vaunted wings" being "melted"/turned into scythes.... I would assume it cannot fly without evidence to the contrary.
I mean... It's on his profile
All previous abilities plus Berserk Mode (Mega Garchomp is in a constant state of berserk rage due to having its wings destroyed by its Mega Evolution)

All previous abilities plus Flight, Air Manipulation (Able to create blades of wind just by moving fast), Enhanced Senses (The protuberances on its head serve as sensors, giving it a highly accurate biological radar that can track spcific prey over long distances), Statistics Amplification (Via Swords Dance), Darkness Manipulation (Via Crunch), Power Nullification (Via Brick Break), and Transformation (Able to Mega Evolve)

I mean... It's on his profile
All previous abilities plus Berserk Mode (Mega Garchomp is in a constant state of berserk rage due to having its wings destroyed by its Mega Evolution)

All previous abilities plus Flight, Air Manipulation (Able to create blades of wind just by moving fast), Enhanced Senses (The protuberances on its head serve as sensors, giving it a highly accurate biological radar that can track spcific prey over long distances), Statistics Amplification (Via Swords Dance), Darkness Manipulation (Via Crunch), Power Nullification (Via Brick Break), and Transformation (Able to Mega Evolve)
Nonetheless, the canon itself seems to contradict Mega Garchomp having Flight due to Mega Garchomp not having wings anymore (Which the profile acknowledges.), so unless there's scans of Mega Garchomp being able to fly....
Not to mention I'd question how in-character it is for it to try to fly when it's specifically mad about its wings being destroyed -Why would it be rampaging if it still thinks it can fly?- & it's stated behaviour is slicing the ground to pieces.

So... What, I'm going to defend the opposite character despite people already voting him?

This is no where a stomp, Zoro isn't some sort of intangible with obs haki... Zoro also usually tries to tank attacks to get in closer and deal damage...

Your making it seem like garchomp is fighting some type of hax character.... I don't see what your trying to say...

Garchomp has multiple ways to boost his own stats even while having the ap advantage

From an unbiased opinion, this would be no where a stomp to any character if the fight was similar to this... It would be a very low dif or low dif... Not even close to stomp, the way you seem to make it out to be...

This is no where a stomp, Zoro isn't some sort of intangible with obs haki... Zoro also usually tries to tank attacks to get in closer and deal damage...
So you're saying it wouldn't be in character for Zoro to dodge, usually?
Your making it seem like garchomp is fighting some type of hax character.... I don't see what your trying to say...
I'm saying (Or perhaps, asking?) isn't Zoro so skilled he'd be able to dodge or block most of Garchomp's attacks, given his previous feats of overcoming IR users?
Garchomp has multiple ways to boost his own stats even while having the ap advantage
True. Whether it'll use them is unclear, but I don't deny the fact.
From an unbiased opinion, this would be no where a stomp to any character if the fight was similar to this... It would be a very low dif or low dif... Not even close to stomp, the way you seem to make it out to be...
A stomp thread is a VS thread where, for all intents and purposes, one of the characters is unreasonably outmatched by their opponent. Whether it is through a difference in statistics, abilities or even (in very rare cases) skill between the two parties, these matches are heavily one-sided and provide little to no challenge or danger for the winning character.

Stomping via skill is a thing.

Didn't people say Garchomp gets the speed advantage via scary face or something? Or is that fear manipulation based (assuming it is based off the name).

Edit: yeah it is, so zoro resists it.

Didn't people say Garchomp gets the speed advantage via scary face or something? Or is that fear manipulation based (assuming it is based off the name).
"The user frightens the target with a scary face to harshly lower its Speed stat."

Probably is Fear Manipulation based, & probably requires the target seeing the user's face.

Whether this comes up is ambiguous, I'd say; Mega Garchomp is berserk from the start by the nature of the form, so I dunno if its face WILL get scarier than that. MAYBE it'll try to scare Zoro like "Get out of my way, I'm too angry to deal with you right now", or maybe it won't try this at all because it's too busy being berserk & tearing everything to ribbons.

But even if it does use it, & Zoro does see it, I'd assume, based on your asking, that Zoro has Resistance to Fear Manipulation?

So overall Garchomp kinda gets stomped here especially considering the fact that Mega Garchomp is going berserk and doesn't have enough brains to function smartly.

I already know that... But Zoro ain't stomping with skill against a user that have abilities that aren't normal... Garchomp also can't get one shot, Zoro needs two hits to kill him...

Stomping via skill would be something similar to a fate character that can surpass time with skill

I already know that... But Zoro ain't stomping with skill against a user that have abilities that aren't normal... Garchomp also can't get one shot, Zoro needs two hits to kill him...

Stomping via skill would be something similar to a fate character that can surpass time with skill
Source on that Resistance List? I'm assuming the Dynamax Page, but there's no such thing as a Dynamax Mega Pokemon.

Anyway, what do you mean abilities that aren't normal? Sure, Garchomp has some weird abilities, but most of them aren't in-character for it to use as Mega Garchomp, where it's just berserk & trying to slice everything because it's angry it lost its wings.

& Zoro's Precognition, Skill-Stomping-Against-8-fold-Instinctive-Reaction, Triple Sword Wielding, air slashing, making huge tornadoes, hardening his body/swords, & numerous other things ain't exactly "normal" either.

"The user frightens the target with a scary face to harshly lower its Speed stat."

Probably is Fear Manipulation based, & probably requires the target seeing the user's face.

Whether this comes up is ambiguous, I'd say; Mega Garchomp is berserk from the start by the nature of the form, so I dunno if its face WILL get scarier than that. MAYBE it'll try to scare Zoro like "Get out of my way, I'm too angry to deal with you right now", or maybe it won't try this at all because it's too busy being berserk & tearing everything to ribbons.

But even if it does use it, & Zoro does see it, I'd assume, based on your asking, that Zoro has Resistance to Fear Manipulation?
Yeah Zoro has resistance to fear manipulation

This seems like a stomp tbh, how likely is Garchomp going to use the stuff he needs to even have a chance against Zoro when it's constantly in beserk mode and will more likely just try to slice up Zoro?

This seems like a stomp tbh, how likely is Garchomp going to use the stuff he needs to even have a chance against Zoro when it's constantly in beserk mode and will more likely just try to slice up Zoro?
Good question. There's probably at least 1 fight scene in the anime involving a Mega Garchomp.... But it'd probably also be acting under a trainer's instruction, as Mega Pokemon in the wild can happen, but usually don't.

Ok base Garchomp is being used and I've changed Zoro to his dressrosa key as well to make the match more fair.

A stomp... Really 😑 the ones that voted garchomp doesn't think that... This isn't a stomp. An ice user vs a water user isn't even a stomp, How is this when garchomp has even a big ap advantage...

If you change to base... Zoro has a huge ap advantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back