• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Forum move project: Updating versus threads in profile pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKM sama

Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
FORUM MOVE WHEN?

Well that meme is dead, but a new question has taken it's place now - "CRTs when?"

The answer is, yet again, "SOON" (I'm kidding).

To put it simply, we need to get 2 important sitewide revision projects out of the way in order for our staff members to be able to fully focus on the flood of upcoming CRTs. We are not allowing the CRTs in conjunction with these projects because it can easily turn chaotic and both the projects and CRTs will suffer as a result. It's much more efficient to focus on one important thing at a time. That way the CRTs can have undivided attention later and go much more quickly.

The 2 important sitewide revision projects are:

1. Updating the old vs thread links on profile pages so that they redirect to the new forum.

2. Replacing the links to illegal scanlation sites on profile pages.

For the second project, we had received a list of pages with illegal links from a SOAP member. And while the forum move was happening during the last few days, Abstractions already handled a considerable portion of that work and updated most of the pages with a little help from myself. However, the SOAP member might send a new list of more such pages in the near future, so we will handle this properly after we finish the first project.

For the first project, we need to convert the internal thread links (hosted on the wiki) to external links so that they redirect to the threads that are hosted on our new forum now. The main goal is to edit the links in such a way that they can be converted from [[Thread:3449493|Zero]] to [https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3449493 Zero].

a)
I went through all the character pages with my bot and updated part of the links in the following manner (this is an intermediate edit):

As you can see, I replaced "[Thread:" with "https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/"

b)
The remaining part that needs to be done is to manually edit those links in the following manner (this is the completed edit):

As you can see, all that's left to do now is to replace a | with a <space> and remove an extra ].

c)
Please keep in mind that the bot can sometimes miss some of the edits but such cases are very rare and they can easily be handled manually too. So you have to keep an eye out for them and convert the entire link:

d) There are total of around 2400 pages to go through and you can find the list of these pages in AKMdroid's contributions on October 2 here:

Abstractions has already volunteered to handle 500 pages (or more if need be) and has already started to work on the above contributions page. We need more volunteers for this project so that it can be over quickly and people can start making CRTs again. The more volunteers we get, lesser will be the workload on them, and we can finish this quickly. Once we get enough volunteers, I will divide the workload between them. They will be assigned a certain section from a certain page of contributions (the first and last profile on their list that they will need to edit will be mentioned). Help from Content Moderators and Administrators is much needed since a lot of these pages are probably locked, other users are obviously also allowed to volunteer.

Volunteers (can edit locked pages): Abstractions, Andytrenom, Ultima Reality, Starter Pack, Jvando, Skalt711, Shadowbokunohero, DontTalkDT, Amelia Lonelyheart, Dargoo Faust
Volunteers (cannot edit locked pages): Sir Ovens, Zaratthustra, Colonel Krukov, Ovy7, DarkGrath, Mariogoods, ThisThingIsReallyBroken, YuriAkuto, Duedate8898, Psychomaster35

People who have completed their quota of pages:
Abstractions, Colonel Krukov, Ovy7, Ultima Reality, Psychomaster35, Shadowbokunohero, Starter Pack, Duedate8898, Zaratthustra, ThisThigisReallyBroken, DarkGrath, Sir Ovens, Dargoo Faust, Mariogoods, YuriAkuto, DontTalkDT, Andytrenom,

Last edited:
I'm game. I need an excuse to catch up on some streams whilst doing something productive.

Might be a pain with mobile but if it's just adding spaces and removing brackets I think I can help too

A big thank you to everybody who are volunteering to help out, and my apologies for initially screwing up with the announcements message.

In addition, I apparently cannot use the regular highlights function after the XenForo 2.2 system update, so I will mention that to our system administrator.

Anyway, NoGround has agreed to give everybody who volunteer for this project Bot rights, so you can edit without clogging up the recent changes page. Bot rights also allow members without other additional staff rights to edit pages.

Last edited:
Today and tomorrow I'm all day at work (12h/day), but I have enough time to browse reddit, so I could use that to help. The only problem is the slow ass PC I have at work :/. I'm also completely free the following Monday and Tuesday, so I do got the time. Just removing a | and ] and adding a <space> doesn't seem that hard :)

I’m unsure if I will be immensely active on this project, but I believe I can help out.

Because of technical issue, I cannot help the wiki replace scanlation sites, but I can help replace the internal thread links. Despite I'm not efficient enough, I can help.

A big thank you to all of our volunteers. Also, our system administrator managed to create a highlight for this thread in the front page of this forum, but we still have to wait for an update to the plugin until I can do so myself.

AKM sama is sleeping now, hopefully for a long while, so this will have to wait until he has sufficiently recovered though. He has been working extremely hard recently.

I am afraid that you are too new a user for us to trust that you can handle the editing properly yet. My apologies.

I'd like to help but I'm not that good when it comes to editing things properly (I usually miss something). Also I don't have consistent access to internet so I wouldn't be much help here, sorry.

Thank you.

I am not very familiar with how good you are at editing though.

Are you familiar with our editing standards, and do you think that you could manage to consistently edit properly according to the instructions in the first post, if you make an effort?

Last edited:
I might go help out, especially with the obscure verses.
This project won't be done on the basis of verses. It will be done according to the edits made by AKMdroid.

I just realized that work was supposed to be divided properly.

I already updated a bunch of links before realizing this, is it a problem? Or is it fine to edit stuff even now?

Thank you everybody.

@YuriAkuto

It is best to wait until we can properly divide the work among all volunteers, so you do not all have to check through several hundred of the same pages.

It's better to divide the work in an organized manner rather than randomly editing the pages. Please wait until we get 20 volunteers, after which I can divide 100 pages among each of them.

We should preferably also wait until NoGround has given you all temporary Bot rights.

Or at least until NoGround has given Bot rights to the volunteers who are not administrators or content moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back