• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that consistency is a hard thing to achieve for an artist, even a talented mangaka, so I don't hold that stance too strongly in judgement but a strong part of me thinks that not acknowledging the more consistent ends at all and solely going with the most inconsistent value possible just because it's based on a pretty good method is a step backwards.

It produces some really awkward issues that we have to reconcile with.

Just to give a hypothetical example, we get a pretty wide shot of the destroyed ruins of Konoha when Pain uses his Almighty Push on it. We can see Naruto and his giant toad summons appearing roughly in the middle of this crater, a bit closer to one side than the other.

Now, if we use the monument-to-wall distance in the calc that means if those characters are in the middle then the distance from them to the walls or to the Hokage monument would be roughly 31 kilometers.

Here is a shot of the toads and Pain facing off with the wall behind the toads. Here is a shot of Pains in the same position with the Hokage monument behind them.

I don't think it would be hard to find rough measurements of how far each landmark is here from the characters, whether its to the wall or to the Hokage monument. If it's a lot less than 31 km then sure, you could say: "Size scaling is too difficult for an artist; it may only look a kilometer away but based on a visual from hundreds of chapters ago that distance should actually be 31 km."

But isn't there an equally plausible alternative that these more consistent panels showing a lesser distance are the author's intended vision and his earlier panel that showed the Forest of Death could be a mistake?

Because these aren't just one-off little mistakes. Kishimoto provides many such angles throughout that arc here, and here, and here, and here.

The argument that the author has trouble showing scale seems to work in reverse too; maybe Kishimoto can draw the features of the village really well up close but struggled to draw it correctly when he did the wide shot in chapter 115. We can't really say which version of scale he struggled with, but we can see how he consistently drew the village since that chapter.

Is this not a significant portion of the entire village?
Completely taking art aside, the fact that the FoD is stated to be on the outskirts of Konoha pretty objectively means that the distance from the center of the village to the edge (AKA Konoha's radius) is greater than the FoD's diameter

You've been absolutely fair @Arc7Kuroi and you raise a good point. I honestly don't want this dragged out too long so how about if there's still a majority of votes in favor in 24 hours, then we close the thread and get it applied? That'll give enough time for remaining staff members to vote, and I won't have any complaints.

You've been absolutely fair @Arc7Kuroi and you raise a good point. I honestly don't want this dragged out too long so how about if there's still a majority of votes in favor in 24 hours, then we close the thread and get it applied? That'll give enough time for remaining staff members to vote, and I won't have any complaints.
Perfectly reasonable to me 🤝🏻 24 hours from now is around when I’ll be home from my flight anyway lol

Honestly I was going to try to bring a few arguments but with the way the thread's looking, it'd be unfair for me to literally pop up 3 weeks later at the end of it when I was fully able to do so from the beginning. On top of that, it seems like most people have already made their minds towards certain arguments that mine are already based off, such as the FOD being 1:1 and the measurements of the hokage rock's contradicting the overall thing genuinely don't matter, seems like there's no point.

I have a handful of skepticisms but if Mitch and DDM think Option A work then so do I. I suggest we consider not using Konoha to affect any calculations possibly involving the Hokage rock though, similar to what we do with Marineford, as the visuals for the Hokage Rock drastically contradict everything else, although I'm not even sure any calcs involve the Hokage Rock.

Put me for neutral, leaning towards Option A.

@Damage3245 I'm out of the loop, do you have more arguments or is the thread effectively over?

Honestly I was going to try to bring a few arguments but with the way the thread's looking, it'd be unfair for me to literally pop up 3 weeks later at the end of it when I was fully able to do so from the beginning. On top of that, it seems like most people have already made their minds towards certain arguments that mine are already based off, such as the FOD being 1:1 and the measurements of the hokage rock's contradicting the overall thing genuinely don't matter, seems like there's no point.

I have a handful of skepticisms but if Mitch and DDM think Option A work then so do I. I suggest we consider not using Konoha to affect any calculations possibly involving the Hokage rock though, similar to what we do with Marineford, as the visuals for the Hokage Rock drastically contradict everything else, although I'm not even sure any calcs involve the Hokage Rock.

Put me for neutral, leaning towards Option A.

@Damage3245 I'm out of the loop, do you have more arguments or is the thread effectively over?
I’m also of the opinion of not using the ramifications of this thread to upgrade Rushmore Ninja to 3 km tall as well. So with respect to that, we agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back