• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
After the changes that have been in the last months regarding how RPG characters are considered, I decided to look up all the possible abilities that could be missing from the profiles, others that have been discussed but haven't been properly added and other possible changes.

And given my... pathological inability to abridge, the whole thing ended up being very long. So, I thought it would be better to link a compiled document given it wouldn't fit in a thread.

Here's the document

And here's the table of contents for reference, it follows a [Materia/Skill Name] ― [Potential New Ability Addition] format:

I apologize for the lousy format, one reason why I chose to use a document, and for stating the obvious more than once, but I wanted to be as clear as possible.

EDIT: Reworking the walls of text to make them less of a pain to read. Probably gonna remove the descriptions of every ability and leave that in the Notable Attacks/Techniques section.

Table of Contents
I. Main Final Fantasy VII cast
1. Magic Materia

a. Barrier ― Attack Reflection

b. Comet ― Summoning

c. Destruct ― Power Nullification

d. Exit ― Dimensional Battlefield Removal

e. Gravity ― Gravity Manipulation

f. Heal ― Status Effect Resistance

g. Life ― Resurrection

h. Mystify ― Mind Manipulation and Berserk Mode Inducement

i. Seal ― Sleep Inducement and Power Nullification

j. Shield ― Powerful Barrier Creation

k. Transform ― Size Manipulation and Statistics Reduction

2. Summon Materia

a. Alexander ― Holy Manipulation

b. Bahamut, Typoon and Knights of the Round ― Durability Negation

c. Leviathan ― Water Manipulation

d. Odin ― Smite

e. Phoenix ― Resurrection

3. Command Materia

a. Manipulate - Possession

b. Morph ― Transmutation

c. Sense ― Information Analysis

d. Slash All ― Smite

e. W-Magic and W-Summon ― Dual Casting

4. Enemy Skill, Final Fantasy VII's Blue Magic

a. Aqualung ― Water Manipulation

b. Dragon Force ― Statistics Amplification

c. Magic Hammer ― Magic Absorption

d. Pandora's Box ― Durability Negation

5. Materia Links: Support and Independent Materia

a. Added Effect ― Status Inflicting Attacks and Resistance

b. Elemental ― Elemental Physical Attacks and Resistance to Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, Wind, Earth, Gravity, Poison and Holy Manipulation.

c. Counterattacks: Counter, Counterattack, Magic Counter and Final Attack - Automatic Reaction

d. Mega All and All ― Abilities become AOE (Extended Range?)

e. Quadra Magic ― Continuous Casting

f. Long Range ― Increased Range for all attacks

II. Limit Breaks

1. Cloud

a. Cross Slash ― Paralysis Inducement

b. Finishing Touch ― Smite

2. Tifa

a. Reels "Yeah!" ― Critical Hit

3. Vincent

a. Galian Beast ― Statistics Amplification, Fire Manipulation

b. Death Gigas ― Statistics Amplification, Statistics Reduction, Electricity Manipulation

c. Hellmasker ― Statistics Amplification, Status Effect Inducement

d. Chaos ― Statistics Amplification, Death Manipulation

III. Ribbon Additions ― Resistance to Empathic Manipulation, Berserk and Blindness

IV. Sephiroth

1. New Abilities

a. Energy Manipulation

b. Illusion Creation

c. Life Manipulation via Heartless Angel

d. Mind Reading

e. Minor Healing and Regenerationn Negation

f. Non-Physical Interaction

g. Resistance to Dimensional BFR

h. Weapon Creation

2. Previous Abilities with Additions or Modifications

a. Resistance to Mind Manipulation

b. Summoning

c. Telekinesis
Cloud's Revised Abilities (first ver.)

Cloud Abilities Natural
Inherent Abilities and Equipment

Cloud Abilities Magic and Summon
Magic and Summo

Cloud Abilities Command
Commands

Cloud Abilities Support
Support
Tifa's Abilities

Tifa Natural Abilities
Inherent and via Equipment

Tifa Magic and Summon
Magic and Summoning

Tifa Commands
Command Materia

Tifa Support Abilities
Support Abilities
Sephiroth's Abilities

Sephiroth Crisis Core
Crisis Core

Sephiroth FFVII
Sephiroth FFVII

Sephiroth Advent Children
Advent Childre

Sephiroth Materia Assimilation
Materia Assimilatio
Cloud's Revised Abilities (Second Version)

Profile's document: Cloud's Profile

Just copy and paste then preview to look at the profile.

List of changes from version 1:

-Small edit to Tier and Attack Potency: Summons go from 5-A to 4-B instead to Unknown, as it was considered Knights of the Round qualify as 4-B by being comparable to Safer Sephiroth and how their own feat is a 4-A or perhaps higher, which would falls into an outlier.

-Added Statistics Amplification via Ultima Weapon, and Duplication via Omnislash Version 6 to Inherent and Equipment Abilities section.

-Added missing Resistance to Silence thanks to the Ribbon.

-Made the Notable Attacks/Techniques section with explanations of the important moves and Materia in Cloud's arsenal. This also allowed to remove lengthy explanations from the Abilities section and shorten it considerably.

-Enemy Skills are mentioned under Power Mimicry, though as limited.

-Materia combinations are explained in detail in the notable attacks section.

-Changed a bit the note at the end commenting about which Materia Cloud canonically has.
Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth new version: blog

I'll come back later; don't really have enough time to download the document and read every detail at the moment. But most of these seem fine from a glance.

A couple of things I found about recently: Damage Reduction and Bypassing Durability (not quite Durability Negation).

Functionally, the Barriers don't stop attacks as much as reduce damage. And if the CRT for Squall's abilities currently active is to go by, Gravity Attacks and Instant Death attribute attacks are considered to bypass Durability.

Perhaps should add those later.

Thanks for your time, guys, good to know, I'll wait for Medeus' input. There's some stuff I think should be discussed a bit before it's added, a couple of questions I couldn't figure out on my own:

-In the case of the Gravity spells, is the percentage based damage considered a gameplay mechanic or can be applied?

-Do the Revive magic and Phoenix qualify as Resurrection? To what extent it would be applicable for the cast?

-Summons are dependant on the power of the caster or have their own Tier? IIRC, the FFVIII cast is 3-C scaling from Eden, meaning the summons do get their own placement. If that's so, how strong are the Knights of the Round? Do they reach the 4-B by themselves?

-In the case Sephiroth's Regenerationn Negation we really need to verify the original japanese of the letter for the proper context. Is there someone we can ask for help?

Percentage damage should just be disregarded as game mechanics, but it is legit gravity manipulation; in which gravity manipulation can negate durability yes. And I would consider them resurrection given the portrayal and how other JRPGs have been treated for now.

Summons are usually a case by case scenario. Some of the summonable monsters in the FF series are actually fought and defeated by the party; as is the case for Eden. And party members can enhance summons with their magic, but we don't always assume every summonable monster is on the same tier as the caster naturally. I think the current tier ratings are good as they are.

I'm a bit lost on the Sephiroth's Regenerationn negation question, but I'm leaning towards it being fine to apply.

1. Ah, all right. I had mixed up that gravity negating durability referred to the percent damage. My bad. Also, neat, the self resurrection combo is very useful.

2. That's what I understood about summons as well. My question about Knights of the Round is because their current rating is "Unknown", so I was wondering if they do have a rating that hasn't been added to the profile or they still lack a proper tiering.

3. Regarding Sephy's regen negation I want to make sure the context is correct and I am not giving him the ability based on a mistranslation. In english Zangan mentions that the healing magic was having no effect. However, I wanted to make sure the japanese version also explicitely says the healing magic was ineffective and doesn't turn he simply meant his own medical or magical capabilities weren't enough to help Tifa. FFVII's translation is known for its many issues.

Okay, a few updates on this:

- I asked ShiroyashaGinSan for help with the translation of Zangan's letter to see if Sephiroth's Regenerationn Negation is valid. Though it may take a bit before a reply.

- Took a look at Knights of the Round and noticed a couple of things: Summons are stated to drag enemies into their pocked dimensions, they do so to one which goes through two starry skies, which finally collapses with Arthur's final strike. That's a 4-A feat according to the wiki standards, which pretty much is an outlier in this case. So I guess they can qualify as 4-B by virtue of being able to heavily hurt Safer Sephiroth?

- I think some abilities proposed should be changed: Sephiroth should get plain Energy Projection given he only uses energy for attacking instead of a more versatile use, he also could get Limited Spatial Manipulation by virtue of dragging the party to the dimension where he uses the Supernova but no further use.

'-' Manipulate could qualify better as Body Puppetry since there's no proof of overriding the mind of the enemy.

- Damage Reduction via Barrier Creation, and specify the Barrier spells don't stop incoming attacks, rather than reduce damage received.

- An additional Automatic Reaction, the Added Cut Support Materia allows the user to follow the paired command with a surprise regular attack.

- Power Mimicry via Mime is also possible, though its applicability in one on one is rather limited. The character can mimic the last move, aside Limit Breaks, done by team mates without cost, but also use Mime on themselves to copy Limit Breaks or repeat their last command, including Counters (though the more broken uses need very specific Materia Combinations).

- Damage Boost via Deathblow, which always deals critical hits for double damage (but less accuracy), and MP Turbo, which makes spell cost 50% more MP but deal 50% more damage. Limit Breaks in general could fall into this ability, given their gimmick in exchange for their spare usage is to deal damage several times over regular attacks.

- There's also the 2x-Cut and 4x-Cut commands, which actually are FFVII's version of the recurring Barrage . I looked around and there's no ability in the wiki it falls into, but it could be described as "Can strike enemies up to four times almost simultaneously via Double Cut".

- This last one is more iffy, but the Sneak Attack Materia allows the user to slip in a move before the turns even begin to be taken, which could translate into having the opening move in a fight. Pre-Emptive Materia grants a surprise attack to the party 1/3 of the time and prevents them from being caught off guard. Both are actually recurring abilities in the series, Sneak Attack and First Strike respectively.

I actually had considered all of these as well, but discarded them because I thought they were too gameplay mechanic-ish. But, I guess it's worth to consider, not to mention many did have abilities to fit in.

Yeah this seems to be good.

Knights of The Round, imo should be "At least High 5-A (Scalling from weaker summons), possibly 4-B (via being able to hurt Sephiroth)"

So before applying any changes, thought it would be a good idea to try to write down a new version of that section, given it's a lot of stuff to be added. Here's a draft I made for Cloud and Sephy as examples. It really needs to cut down on stuff, but it's a first shot. Will add later the proper links in the explanations to justify them.

Cloud's Powers and Abilities Draft

Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics; Master Swordsma and Skilled User of firearms and several kinds of explosives (was a former Shinra Infantryman); Magic; Summoning (of Summoned Beasts and small meteors via the Comet spells); Attack Boost in the form of raw Damage Boost (via Limit Breaks, which are stated to reach power much greater than the usual capabilities of the user; and Deathblow which always deals a Critical Hit for double damage; MP Turbo increases the magic spent in a spell for increased power) or Additional Effects (can slot the Added Effect Materia in his weapon to grant the status ailment infliction of his Magic and Summon Materia to his regular attacks); Energy Manipulation (can empower his attacks with Mako Energy during Limit Breaks for greater power or different effects; and via the Ultima spell); Non-Physical Interaction (able to hurt and defeat the ghost and souls of the fallen Gi Tribe); Elemental Manipulation (of the Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, Wind, Earth, Gravity and Holy variety; can infuse his regular attacks with any of these elements with the Elemental Materia); Poison Manipulation; Size Manipulation (via Mini); Transmutation (can turn enemies into frogs via Toad or into items via Morph); Physical Statistics Reduction (both Toad and Mini greatly reduce the enemy's offensive capabilities); Power Nullification (via DeBarrier, DeSpell, Silence and Toad); Body Puppetry (via Manipulate); Sleep Inducement (via Sleep); Paralysis Inducement (a side effect of Cross Slash); Petrification (side effect of the Break Spell); Minor Mind Manipulation (via Confu); Forcibly Berserk Mode Inducement (via Berserk); Information Analysis (via Sense); Time Manipulation (via slowing or stopping the time of his enemies and accelerating his own); Limited Teleportation (via Exit, to escape from battles); Dimensional Battlefield Removal (via the Remove Spell which sends enemies to The Rift); Damage Reduction via Barrier Creation (the Barrier and Shield Spells reduce damage instead of blocking attacks); Attack Reflection (via Reflect); Mimicry (via Mime which can copy the actions of his teammates or repeat his own with no cost, including Limit Breaks); Death Manipulation (via Death); Smite (via the Flash Command, a side effect of Finishing Touch and Odin's Steel Bladed Sword); Durability Negation (via Bahamut be it Base, Neo or Zero; Typoon and Knights of the Round; and Pandora's Box); Defensive Statistics Amplification (via Dragon Force); Life and Magic Absorption (via the HP and MP Absorb Materia, respectively; can steal Magic from enemies with Magic Hammer); Automatic Reactions (via Counter, Counterattack, Magic Counter, Final Attack and Added Cut); Healing and Regenerationn (Mid-Low); Self-Resurrection (via the Final Attack Materia linked with the Phoenix or Life Materia). Several of his spells can't be reflected with shields or barriers; can attack up to four times almost simultaneously (via 4x-Cut); can cast two different spells or Summons simultaneously (via W-Magic and W-Summon) or use the same spell or Summon four times at once (via Quadra Magic, except for Knights of the Round); can turn the targeting of several of his commands and spells into an Area of Effect via the All and Mega All Materia (at the cost of part of their offensive power); his physical attacks can reach a few meters beyond his actual reach thanks to the Long Range Materia; the Pre-Emptive and Sneak Attack Materia grant him the initiative in battle and prevent him from being caught off-guard. Resistance to the following: Mind Manipulation, Possession, Soul Manipulation (by the end of the game his will was strong enough to resist Sephiroth's attempts to control him and defeated him in the battle in his mind; after piecing together his identity he recovered from Mako Poisoning which is a complete overload of Mako and information from the Lifestream on the mind and soul); Healing and Regenerationn Negation (his Healing Magic works despite Sephiroth's nullification); Telekinesis; Illusion Creation; Elemental Manipulation (of the Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water, Wind, Earth, Gravity and Holy variety); Poison Manipulation, Paralysis Inducement; Sleep Inducement; Blindness; Transmutation; Petrification; Size Manipulation; Confusio; Berserk Mode Inducement; Time Manipulation and Time Stop; Death Manipulation; Smite; Empathic Manipulation; and Battlefield Removal. Thanks to the Ribbon he wears in honor to Aerith, Cloud is protected to most of the game's status effects; Cloud can also slot the Elemental and Added Effect Materia in his armor, paired with Magic or Summon Materia, to protect himself from their elements and status effects, respectively. The Resist Spell grants Cloud immunity to all the status effects; the Shield spell prevents Cloud from receiving any damage from Elemental Spells and from physical attacks (of cutting, impact, shooting and piercing nature).

Sephiroth's Power and Abilities Draft

Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics; Master Swordsma; Teleportation, Energy Projection (can send cutting beams and powerful shockwaves from the Masamune); Minor Healing and Regenerationn Negation (Zangan mentioned, in a letter, that the wound Sephiroth inflicted on Tifa wouldn't heal with healing magic); Life Manipulation (via Heartless Angel, which enormously drains his enemies' life, usually leaving them at the brink of death); Summoning (can materialize four large elemental Materia to aid him in battle). After falling to the Lifestream, following the destruction of Nibelheim and his defeat at the end of the original game, Sephiroth began to absorb the knowledge of the planet, gaining access to the powers of virtually every Materia in existence and developed many new abilities: Mind Manipulation and Possession (though limited to those with Jenova cells, can still inflict Confusio to any enemy via several abilities); Flight and Levitatio; Telekinesis (which can be used to restrain and hurt his opponents); Illusion Manipulation (managed to recreate a detailed scenario of Nibelheim and later its destruction to the party); Telepathy; Mind Reading (according to the Ultimania Omega guide, Jenova can read the emotions and memories of others, and this ability extends to those carrying its cells); Intangibility (the copies he creates can easily go through solid matter, likely extends to himself); Shapeshifting (can freely transform Jenova's body into copies of himself or return them to their alien form); Soul Manipulation (became able to interact, corrupt and hurt the souls inside the Lifestream); Non-Physical Interaction (should compare to the party who can fight ghosts, can hurt souls directly); Limited Spatial Manipulation (can drag the party into the pocket dimension where he uses the Supernova); Regenerationn (Low-High) and Healing (via the Cure spells and Bizarro Energy); Immortality (Types 6 and 8 via Geostigma/Jenova Cells, when killed he will go back into the Lifestream and will be able to resurrect himself as long as Lifestream he has tainted exists on the surface of the Planet); Self-Sustenance (Types 1, 2 and 3); Forcefield Creation (for, either, Damage Reduction, via Wall or Shield, or to completely stop attacks); Weapon Creation (can materialize a copy of the Masamune in his hands at any time, can also create a copy of the sword for his remotely controlled different bodies); Energy Absorption; Attack Reflection (via Reflect); Elemental Manipulation (of the Fire, Ice, Lightning, Earth, Wind, Water, Gravity and Holy variety; should be able to infuse his regular attacks with any of these elements by emulating the effects of the Elmental Materia); Poison Manipulation; Transmutation (via turning people into Frogs, possibly via Morph), Size Manipulation, Petrification (via Break), Physical Statistics Reduction (side effect of Mini and Frog status); Sleep Inducement; Forcibly Induce Berserk Mode (via Berserk); Power Nullification (via DeBarrier, DeSpell and Silence); Time Manipulation (by slowing and stopping the time of his opponents or speeding up his own); Limited Empathic Manipulation (several abilities inflict Sadness, a symptom of Geostigma is depression); Dimensional Battlefield Removal (via the Remove spell, which sends enemies to The Rift); Death Manipulation (via Doom and Death spells); Smite (via Flash); Attack Boost in the form of Additional Effects (as Safer Sephiroth his regular attacks inflict Paralysis and Blindness, likely extends to his Advent Children self which is stated to have become stronger. Should be able to emulate the effects of the Added Effect Materia and grant the Status Ailment infliction of his spells to his physical attacks). Several of his spells can't be reflected by shields or barriers. Due to having absorbed large amounts of knowledge from the Lifestream and acquired the abilities of virtually every Materia, he should have access to the following abilities as well: Durability Negation (via Pandora's Box); Defensive Statistics Amplification (via Dragon Force); Resurrection (via Life Materia); Automatic Reactions (via Counter, Counterattack, Magic Counter, Final Attack and Added Cut); Body Puppetry (via Manipulate, not limited to those with Jenova cells); Life and Magic Absorption (via HP and MP Absorb, respectively. Can absorb the enemy's magic via Magic Hammer). Can attack up to four times almost simultaneously (via 4x-Cut); can cast two different spells simultaneously (via W-Magic) or use the same spell four times at once (via Quadra Magic); can turn the targeting of several of his commands and spells into an Area of Effect (via All and Mega All, at the cost of part of their offensive power); his physical attacks can reach a few meters beyond his actual reach (via Long Range Materia); the Pre-Emptive and Sneak Attack Materia Powers grant him the initiative in battle and prevent him from being caught off-guard. Resistance to the following: Mind Manipulation (his will was strong enough he not only resisted Jenovas' influence, he ended up controlling it instead. Managed to maintain his sense of self in the Lifestream, a stream of collective consciousness of the entire planet, and began absorbing the enormous amount of knowledge to become stronger instead of being overwhelmed by it); Soul Manipulation (his soul wasn't assimilated in current of countless other ones in the Lifestream, could instead travel through it and actively taint it); Elemental Manipulation (of the Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind, Water, Earth and Holy variety, should be able to emulate the effects of the Elemental Materia and its defensive effects); Gravity Manipulation (is completely unphased by the party's gravity magic); Dimensional Battlefield Removal (the Remove Spell, which sends enemies to The Rift, has no effect on him); Poison Manipulation; Paralysis Inducement; Sleep Inducement; Transmutation; Size Manipulation; Petrification; Time Manipulation; Blindness Inducement; Death Manipulation; Smiting (Cloud's Finishing Touch will only damage him, the Flash command will always fail and Odin won't even attempt to use Steel Bladed Sword); Body Puppetry; and Information Analysis (attempts to use the Sense command on him will fail).
Another possibility, though may be more work, is to use tabs and divide things a bit to make them less of a pain to read. Just an idea, in the party's case it can be divided by the nature of the ability (one for their natural abilities and Limit Breaks, other for Magic and Summons, other for Commands and Enemy Skills and one for Materia Links) and in Sephiroth's case divided by the stage he was (one for Crisis Core, other for his FFVII self and the last for his AC self). Same could be applied for the Notable Attacks and Techniques section to not make the list too long. Just an idea though.

Unfortunately, it was rejected in the past that all the FF bosses should have their gameplay resistances.

Dark649 said:
Unfortunately, it was rejected in the past that all the FF bosses should have their gameplay resistances.
Honestly, why tho? It never made any sense to me, since the game even tells you the spells can be resisted, and we do this with a lot of other RPGs.

CrimsonStarFallen said:
Honestly, why tho? It never made any sense to me, since the game even tells you the spells can be resisted, and we do this with a lot of other RPGs.
It's here when i tried.

But Sephiroth gained those stuff when absorbing the lifestream right? Isn't all the Materia that ever existed came from the lifestream in the first place?

Ah, gotcha. Then he'll just keep Mind and Soul Resistance.

Just to clear a couple of doubts, his profile currently does list this:

Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Managed to retain his own consciousness while drowned in the countless souls found within the Lifestream), Sleep Inducement, Paralysis, Silence, Confusio, Transmutation, Size Manipulation, Petrification, Mind Manipulation, BFR, Death Manipulation, Poison Manipulation, Time Manipulation, and Time Stop (Due to bathing in the Lifestream, Sephiroth gained the abilities of nearly every Materia in existence and resistance to many of their effects)
So should we remove them aside the Mind and Soul Manipulation? I did go through the topic (though I can see Rep's points, I quite don't get why RPGs get such as strict regulation compared to non-RPGs), it was brought up if Sephy obtaining the power of all Materia's counted, but while Rep did raise some doubt the point wasn't really resolved.

I can't recall Sephy showing in-story resistances outside Mind and Soul, so Repp's argument holds up in that regard.. Still, just to make sure, I made the argument of the Materia, essentially that if he has access to all Materia effects, he can use emulate the defensive effects of Elemental and Added Effect which would be the same as his boss resistances, but do those count for him?

Also, armors do count. That's a bit of a surprise. When I brought it up it was rejected. Though to be fair, my argument was kind of ass back then >_>

The point about Materia aside, Sephy would lose his resistance to Body Puppetry (though he'd still resist possession due to resist Jenova's influence, methinks), Information Analysis, Dimensional Battlefield Removal, his resistance to Gravity Manipulation would become weaker, Blindness and Paralysis (no Materia combination protects from them, though the Resist spell does). If Materia Emulation doesn't count he'd only keep Mind and Soul Manipulation.

Here's a revised version for Sephy's resitances:

Sephiroth absorbing knowledge from the Lifestream and gaining the effects of all Materia is mentioned twice before the resistance section, so this is written assuming that was mentioned.

Sephy Resistances (still considers Materia Emulation)

Resistance to the following: Mind Manipulation (his will was strong enough he not only resisted Jenova's influence, he ended up controlling it instead. Managed to maintain his sense of self in the Lifestream, a stream of collective consciousness of the entire planet, and began absorbing the enormous amount of knowledge to become stronger instead of being overwhelmed by it); Soul Manipulation (his soul wasn't assimilated in current of countless other ones in the Lifestream, could instead travel through it and actively taint it); Elemental Manipulation (of the Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind, Water, Earth, Holy and Gravity variety, should be able to emulate the effects of the Elemental Materia and its defensive effects; the Shield Spell protects from damage from all these elements); Poison Manipulation; Sleep Inducement; Transmutation; Size Manipulation; Berserk Mode Inducement; Silence Inducement; Petrification; Time Manipulation; Death Manipulation; Smiting (should be able to emulate the effects of the Added Effect Materia and its defensive effects; the Resist Spell grants resistance to all the Status Ailments). May grant himself resistance to Empathic Manipulation, Blindness Inducement and Paralysis Inducement via the Resist Spell.

I don't see why he would lose resistances. We don't do this for any other RPG games why do this for FF?

Ogbunabali said:
I don't see why he would lose resistances. We don't do this for any other RPG games why do this for FF?
Well, the topic mentioned is almost a year and a half old. Perhaps things have changed a bit?

I have seen that RPG character pages consider a lot more the elements seen only through gameplay as of late.

Honestly, I think Endgame bosses should be allowed to have in game resistances depending on the situation, just not fodder bosses or mid game villains. But that was probably rejected, and depends which one. Emperor Mateus for example should at least have resistance to death manipulation and BFR; he's undead and has "Duel-Existence" and inter-dimensional travel, so it's not just game mechanics in his case.

EDIT: Huh? The tabs I made are gone. Weird, I could see the message just fine when I posted it.

@Medeus: I see the point. I kind of agree. Though from what Rep said in that thread if there's in-story relation, then it's valid, so for example, the Emperor as you mention would get those. The issue here is whether Sephy's case with Materia is acceptable or not. In general, other game genres do give their bosses resistances based on their gameplay, don't they?

Well considering he fused with the Lifestream, which is where all of the materia comes from, it wouldn't make sense if he doesn't get the resistances.

Aaaand, you're absolutely right. There shouldn't be problem with it, given it has basis on the lore.

Also, made a sample again for Cloud's abilities divided by tabs. While I could figure out how to use them in profiles, it was impossible to make them work on messages, so I had to resort to images of the tabs. I apologize:

Spoilers

Cloud Abilities Natural
Inherent Abilities and Equipment

Cloud Abilities Magic and Summon
Magic and Summo

Cloud Abilities Command
Commands

Cloud Abilities Support
Support

@Crimson: Thanks, dude.

@Dragon: Wish I could help you right now, but I played IX over a decade ago. Though I can look up info about him and let you know.

IX's page should be deleted tbh, there's already a page for all the Bahamuts, and he is the only one who has his own page.

Oh yeah, speaking about that, some time ago there were talks of deleting the individual pages of each FF game and just leaving the franchise one.

EDIT: Added Cloud's abilities example to the first post.

Added Tifa and Sephy's samples to the first post. I'll have to shorten the explanations of the abilities quite a bit later on.

Need to take another look at DoC for Vincent.

Added a couple of things for Sephiroth: Corruption and Empathic Manipulation Based on what's stated in "On the Way to a Smile" chapters Black and White. If you notice something iffy or wrong please let me know.

Back