• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fairy Tail Discussion Thread 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragonmasterxyz said:
"Dude, the problem with Erza is that she always has random "because Erza" moments. There have been very few fights where her winning actually makes sense."You mean like most HST batles?
"Zoro has survived a sure-kill attack
once, With Erza, it has pretty much become a part of her character description, because Hiro Mashima is incapable of creating hype any other way (It's like Saint Seiya levels of bullshit honestly). Basically, an overused trope ultimately becomes bullshit?

Because Zoro never has PIS moments. It is always amounted to "Zoro is so skilled" But Erza does it "It's Bullshit." No matter how you justify it. FT character get flack for things OP and other HST characters do on a daily basis.

"There is literally
no in-verse explanatio of any of the crap Erza pulls except "because Erza". The fact that Erza, who was incapacitated by Dragon-Irene in one blow - goes ahead and destroys an island-level meteorite and proceeds to one-shot Dragon-Irene makes no sense"

That was literally only said once. Yes her win against Irene is BS. Her win against Kyoko was partial BS. Now name another BS Erza moment from early on.
The one example for Zoro that comes to mind is the fight against Mr 1. Please give other examples to prove your point

As for Erza, let's look at her recent major fights :

1. vs Irene, which you yourself say is BS

2. vs Ajeel, who is massively below Irene but Erza still required outside support

3. vs Kyouka, total BS

4. vs Minerva - has her leg crushed by a rock and can barely move while fighting against a fresh opponent who has matched her so far - she one-shots ....

5. vs Azuma - Do I even have to go into this one ?

The irony is that, prior to Tenroujima Arc, Most of Erza's fights were actually very good. I mean, Phantom Lord Arc cemented her place as close to the Guild masters level, Tower of Heaven Arc gave her massive character development, Laxus' Tournament Arc introduced her "special eye" characteristics and the Nirvana Arc had her seriously strategizing against a superior opponent, in addition to using an aspect of her character that was already introduced (the fake eye)

@roygundam Against Minerva she uses a perfect armor activating the second origin she was holding back so that's perfectly reasonable. Vs Irene she lost bro look better the battle Irene is standing perfectly but decided to kill herself since she can't kill her daughter. Against Kyouka well she did lose since kyouka suicide to activate face. vs Azuma yeah that's BS. Vs Ajeel Erza was losing cause her magic was negated by that dude that served brandish the moment she got back her magic she start beating him up and when he caught her of guard thx to the sand storm she didn't react cause she needed to give a signal for jupiters blast since it was the plan all along plus she hit him with nakagami starlight. So yeah it's almost only Azuma battle that's pure bs.

And don't use quotes use something like this @william shadow

@delta [[1]]

[[2]]

10 chapters of difference what's assumption about this bro.

Zoro vs Kaku. Zoro was losing until Asura. Just like Erza was losing to Minerva until Nakagami Armor.

1) Irene has yet to lose yet....

2) Funny how they are about to be Island level and that Erza hasn't even defeated Irene.

3) Yeah PIS. But was literally the only time "Because she's Erza." was mentioned.

4) One shots with one of her Nakagami Armor that bypasses magic and she released her 2 limiter.

5) Can very much be compared to Zoro surviving that "sure to kill attack." i.e Erza's first PIS.

Funny thing is. Her fights are all good. PIS doesn't mean it is a bad fight. It is just a fight that has PIS.

"whitebeared fighting with two giant holes in his chest"

The problem with bringing that up is that Whitebeard actually died almost immediately afterwards

"And please no more "cause she is Erza excuse""

The problem is that that is literally the only in-verse explanation of all the crap she pulls. But I do think that one of the reasons why FT gets so much more hate nowadays is that the writing has basically gone to shit.

I'll give you an example to clarify what I mean - Back in the Tower of Heaven Arc, Erza one shots Ikaruga despite being horribly outmatched for almost the entire time prior to that (Probsbly the very first "because Erza" moment). But I don't mind it because it had actually great character development for Erza and made sense in some way. If I criticize Fairy Tail, it's not because I hate it but because it had so much potential and Hiro squandered it all in cheap hype-generating tricks. If you read my comment above, you'd know that I was also a fan of Erza at some point

Erza beat Ikaruga because she was in her Clear Heart Armor in which maximizes her attack power. Overpowering Ikaruga. That was not a "Because she's Erza."

Writing is subjective. FT has its own style. Like I find One Piece and One Punch Man, completely boring and overall shitty. Just because that's what I believe, does it mean it's right. Just because a "majority" of people says that doesn't mean it's right. So for me FT has not gone to "shit".

White beared died after he also got attacked by black beared and his crew he even attacked akainu so yeah not very fast death there not to mention he was also sick and pierced with a huge sword and later by smaller swords all over his body. Her armores were breaking but AP was the same in fact she beat her with a full AP outfit where it's purely attack potency which makes it even greater then any she used before in fight. Now sure Hiro has problems with realisation of his ideas we all know that but it's not enough to hate a character since it's minor things plus it's not Hiro who uses nakama power and cause she is Erza always but hater who add that even thou it wasn't mention even once during that battle.

Also the reason most of Zoro's feats are attributed to skill is because he is shown to be always training. In fact Zoro is possibly the worst candidate if you want to argue random power ups in Shounen. Even within the Straw hats themselves, Sanji's power is a lot more random ( though it might be attributed to the superhuman gene thing that his Father had going on, We don't know yet)

Let me give my overall view on FT.

It is a series that is fun to read. PIS and all. The characters are all quirky and fun. Hiro clearly was simply making this series to have fun. And the fact that it's still going and is popular proves that many people think the same. FT is just a series where I can just turn my brain off and enjoy.

Erza isn't shown as always training since she uses magic and not pure sword skill I am not debating here who is a better swordsman/woman plus Erza is constantly doing missions like fighting monster and criminals so yeah that's a good training

Erza constantly goes on missions that most people wouldn't dare to go on. She believes in training. The missions she goes on are pretty much her way of training.

WilliamShadow said:
Erza isn't shown as always training since she uses magic and not pure sword skill I am not debating here who is a better swordsman/woman plus Erza is constantly doing missions like fighting monster and criminals so yeah that's a good training
....Using magic doesn't mean she doesn't need to train man.

@Aiden if she uses magic it's obvious she does less phisical training it's kinda logic cause she doesn't have to think only about swordsmanship so what is unreasonable about it?

Yeah but less then someone who is purely swordsmanship based plus as I said she is doing mission constantly that's a good training.

I have a feeling you think I said she doesn't have to train lol I am not an idiot.

@ William

You do realize that mages in FT verse are not squishy wizards that are physically pathetic, right? That point was explained VERY early in the series

Again I said LESS not no training really people read carefully.

@byakushi I read FT from 2009 so yeah I know pretty much all about it.

You know, I've been thinking about it, but is there really a difference between human Irene and dragon Irene? Didn't Zeref say her milf appearance is only a visual appearance, her true characteristics are that of a dragon, right? So there won't be keys differentiating human and dragon Irene, correct?

Well she said she can use master enchant lvl only in dragon form so she should be a at least a bit stronger not to mention she broke Erza's bones kinda easy so yeah she must be stronger.

@WilliamShadow

@
Dragonmasterxyz

Erza was even unable to stand properly when the fight against Minerva begins. From that position, she one-shots - Yeah totally not BS at all

"Her fights are all good" - maybe I just have a higher standard of what constitutes a good fight. There's no point arguing over this

"Zoro vs Kaku" - It was actually a fairly balanced fight even before Ashura. The way I remember, it goes something like this : They have a contest of strength with Nigori Zake vs Kilimanjaro which Zoro wins. Then Zoro challenges Kaku's defense with a ShiShi Son Son, but Kaku, realizing that his Tekkai isn't strong enough counters with his leg technique. Kaku only starts gaining some ground after using his rain attack thing and then on retrieving his Katana, and finally Zoro ends it with Ashura

"Erza beat Ikaruga because she was in her Clear Heart Armor" - There was also a major bit of character development which I think was more important in that particular case

"it's not Hiro who uses nakama power and cause she is Erza always" - Sorry but that is kind of an extremely weak defense of terrible writing

"Like I find One Piece and One Punch Man, completely boring and overall shitty" - So you like the "because reasons" character only when she also comes with big boobs ? You're not strong on consistency, are you bro ?

"It is a series that is fun to read. PIS and all. The characters are all quirky and fun. Hiro clearly was simply making this series to have fun. And the fact that it's still going and is popular proves that many people think the same. FT is just a series where I can just turn my brain off and enjoy."

I can totally understand that. It's why I read Prison School and Monster Musume

Yeah I like her character for her personality not battles or aspect honestly I find that kinda offensive from your side bro while I tried to talk reasonably you judge me as some random pervert or a superficial person it's not respectful at all. And don't put OPM in this it's a gag anime so it's kinda unnecessar. Erza was able to stand and she didn't move but swinged the spear (after Minerva was trying to toy with her cause it's part of her character)why is that hard with a hurt leg it's enough to stand and she didn't have that much problems

"I find that kinda offensive from your side bro while I tried to talk reasonably you judge me as some random pervert"

Sorry that part was not for you. I was replying to @Dragon fellow as well

@WilliamShadow

Also, with the Whitebeard thing - that was literally one example in the entire story of One Piece - it was done by the most powerful character once. Erza by herself accounts for at least 4 such instances - Thunder Palace, vs Azuma, vs Kyouka and vs Irene and 5 if you count the time, back in Phantom Lord arc where she barely stops the Jupiter cannon and almost immediately afterwards defeats the Air-magic guy and wrangles with Jose

The main problem is that Hiro just can't create hype anymore and has to resort to "because reasons" level of logic

"Erza was even unable to stand properly when the fight against Minerva begins. From that position, she one-shots - Yeah totally not BS at all"

Not really since many other character like Goku have done it. Plus this time she had a non because she's Erza moment. Plus it is obvious the Nakagami Armor gave her some balance.

"maybe I just have a higher standard of what constitutes a good fight. There's no point arguing over this"

Standards are different for each person. I can't reticule someone for having different standards than I do. Life would be boring like that.

"There was also a major bit of character development which I think was more important in that particular case"

It was but I was arguing that is wasn't a PIS moment.

"Sorry but that is kind of an extremely weak defense of terrible writing."

Agreed.

"So you like the "
because reasons" character only when she also comes with big boobs ?"

Ummm when did I ONCE say that? Never said I didn't like Zoro's "because he's Zoro" moments, Never said I didn't like Luffy's "because he's Luffy" moments. I just find OP shitty as a whole. I like characters such as Zoro. So I don't know where you got that from. Also " Big Boobs"? What do they have to do with this? Absolutely nothing. So chill with that. Don't put words in my mouth. Don't try to categorize me either. Try again with that strawman.

"You're not strong on consistency, are you bro ?"

Not your bro. Anyways I am, when it is my own writing. I could careless for someone else's series. I mean there is a reason I like DBS. I watch anime and read manga for fun. Fairy Tail is extremely flawed. But that doesn't mean it is the only series with flaws. One Piece is extremely flawed, Dragon Ball is extremely flawed, Digimon has flaws, SMT has flaws. I'm not gonna just target one series because everyone else is doing so or that it's easy to see said flaws. It really doesn't matter. if the series is fun. If the characters are fun then that is all that matters. End of story.

@Dragonmasterxyz

"Ummm when did I ONCE say that?" - I was actually referring to One Punch Man and not Zoro but whatever. Also, learn to take a joke man.

"It was but I was arguing that is wasn't a PIS moment." - My view on this is that the explanation for why the Clear heart armor made her stronger is based in the character development that she undergoes. And that is what really sells the fight. Basically, if she hadn't gone through the development that she did, she would have lost - that is meaningful and it makes sense

"Not your bro" - To be fair, I'd rather not be bros with someone who dislikes both OPM and One Piece. Next you'll tell me you hate Gurren Lagann as well

"Fairy Tail is extremely flawed ...." - I agree completely, but I think it's fair to compare stories by the same author (and you seem to agree). Going by that metric, and considering the high bar set by Rave Master and early Fairy Tail, I do think the writing in Fairy Tail has gone to shit, much like what happened to Bleach or Naruto and will no doubt happen to One Piece at some point

" I was actually referring to One Punch Man and not Zoro but whatever. Also, learn to take a joke man."

Not easy to spot a joke when it is a typed message. Unless some type of emogy is present.

"My view on this is that the explanation for
why the Clear heart armor made her stronger is based in the character development that she undergoes. And that is what really sells the fight. Basically, if she hadn't gone through the development that she did, she would have lost - that is meaningful and it makes sense"

Never said I disagreed.

"To be fair, I'd rather not be bros with someone who dislikes both OPM and One Piece. Next you'll tell me you hate Gurren Lagann as well"

Wow can't befriend someone who dislikes OPM and One Piece. So much for opinions :p. Never watched Gurren Lagann. So I have no opinions on it.

"I agree completely, but I think it's fair to compare stories by the same author (and you seem to agree). Going by that metric, and considering the high bar set by Rave Master and early Fairy Tail, I do think the writing in Fairy Tail has gone to shit, much like what happened to Bleach or Naruto and will no doubt happen to One Piece at some point"

Never read Rave Master and thus never had any opinions or standards when going into FT. Heck every anime I go into regardless of creator I go with zero standards. Prime example for me is Dangan Ronpa. I guess I just have an optimistic view on things. Compared to everyone else who tries to prove their series is the best or that a series sucks. Heck if anything all this FT criticism is what helped me work on my story. I know what people like and don't like. I know what things to have and keep out. So opinions like yours and haters/supporters only help me out in the process. :)

I personally like all Naruto,OP,FT,bleach and I am glad that in these show there isn't many death's since it's dumb like yeah the plot might be better but I feel like trash for a day after that scene like Sunday without God made me drop the series for that reason.

And well to just end it here at least for me FT gets unnecessary hate mostly because people hear bad things about it and when they start watching they in fact concentrate on bad stuff leaving aside all the good stuff, but that won't change the fact that FT has a huge successes after all like I said before on almost every manga sites it's on the top.

And again if someone still didn't understand I said Erza does less physical training than Zoro since he has only his sword skills while Erza Magic as well best example telekinesis you don't wanna try to convince she need's a strong body for that.

Well there is some truth in it. Even in last chapter her "jump" into meteorite was definitelly telekinesis boosted judging by how it looked. However in case of pure physical power Erza is definitelly one of the strongest one in her manga. Yeah her training must also at least partially focus on magic too. But the fact that she also trains magic doesn't mean she trains physically less than Zoro. Well we cannot say how much time they spednd on training because if Oda and Masima were writting that trainings both manga would be much longer (which would make developers unpleasant) and (while more reasonable) defintelly less focused on story.

After this chapter August be like "I can't bring myself to kill you Gildarts...you're my only son." And then he sticks his staff up his own a$$ and dies.´╗┐

-BANLK- said:
After this chapter August be like "I can't bring myself to kill you Gildarts...you're my only son." And then he sticks his staff up his own a$$ and dies.´╗┐

I hope August will fight vs Jellal who also must prepare some secret agains Zeref, Gildarts vs August it is not interesting fight. Anti-mage vs Ultimate Mage. Jellal vs August it's like in RAVE Master - Sig vs Haja

Czuczian11 said:
Well there is some truth in it. Even in last chapter her "jump" into meteorite was definitelly telekinesis boosted judging by how it looked. However in case of pure physical power Erza is definitelly one of the strongest one in her manga. Yeah her training must also at least partially focus on magic too. But the fact that she also trains magic doesn't mean she trains physically less than Zoro. Well we cannot say how much time they spednd on training because if Oda and Masima were writting that trainings both manga would be much longer (which would make developers unpleasant) and (while more reasonable) defintelly less focused on story.
In Fairy Tail verse, physical power is depends on amount of Magic Power inside body. Mages can increase concentration of MP in body and that increases their physical abilities

Surely it is truth. But there are some exceptions. For example Neinhart is patheticaly weak physically (even if he is capable of great magical feats). It also works other way around. Knightwalker was pysically comparable Erza Scarlet even is she was techninacly a muggle with magical spear - and she was comparable even without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back