• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about the future of our forums (Staff only)

From what I've read, Xenforo is rather easy to adapt to, so hopefully that won't be a problem. How will moving the polls work? I'm assuming it won't be as simple as copy/paste. Would it be better just to leave these current discussions here with the suggestion not to post anymore until the forum is set up?

I am talking about the new in-wiki Discussions forum. We still have a responsibility to keep it somewhat organised for the sakes of the newbie mobile users, especially as our old forum threads will all be copied over there later.

Creating a new "Polls" sub-forum in Discussions would be quite easy for me, as would rewriting our rules there so everybody are supposed to only post the polls within it, and then any discussion moderators and administrators can easily start to move all of the existing polls over to it via a link that I provided earlier.

@Skalt711

Yes. I hope that it goes well.

Btw: If any content moderators are willing to help out with moving the polls to a specific sub-forum later on, I can probably temporarily deputise them to discussion moderators as well.

@GojiBoy

I am not sure yet, beyond that they should collaborate with the staff during the transition, and try their best to adapt and make this as non-chaotic as possible.

Only staff members are supposed to be able to invite new members to register in the forum, so even though there are a few dozen of us, this is going to take quite a bit of work.

I will tell you when I know more information that is appropriate to reveal in public.

I am making an extremely important note here that we are hopefully going to be able to export the contents of the old forums in the VS Battles, Joke Battles and FCOC wikis to the new external forum, but doing so will only copy the discussions as they were at that exact point.

As such, any new threads and comments added to the forums after that will not be copied, so it is heavily encouraged that we systematically start the migration process as soon as possible after that, and then continue talking there instead.

The Fandom staff members that I have talked with are trying to help us move the forums. This seems to have been decided above their heads.

As you can see here, Fandom has now officially stated that our current forums will be retired at the latest in the middle of January.

The company that is going to set up our new external forums is currently waiting for the Fandom technical team to send them an archive with all of our old discussion threads. I have told the Fandom staff members that I am in contact with that we need to hurry as much as possible.

TheUpgradeManHaHaxD said:
Where is Vsbattle wiki going to go??
The wiki will stay here. Only the forums will move, and there's already plans in motion for the replacement forums.

The wiki will be here. it's just Discussion Boards likes this and Message Walls will go. But, we're in the process of creating a website using Xenforo I think it was where we can have discussion boards like this.

Yes. The big problem is that the company that is going to set them up is still waiting for the Fandom technical team to help them out with a backup of our current forum contents. I am obviously stressed out over this.

Hello.

The Fandom staff has told me that the engineer responsible for handling this issue has now sent over exports of the contents of the Joke Battles and FCOC forums to the company that will set up our new external discussion forum. However, given the sheer size of the VS Battles forum, they are still working on converting it for the time being.

Yes, but we will inevitably lose at least a few weeks of unsaved forum discussions/work, and also need to organise sending invitations to all of our several hundreds of regular members, so this will be a very difficult transition. However, we still have to fight on and pull through nevertheless.

Yes, but this is unfortunately the least bad option that we can manage.

I hope that the lost message board threads will at least be moved to the new (awful) Discussions module, so the most important parts can be copied and pasted from there if needed.

Then I guess the forums should be locked a bit before the real thing happens as otherwise important CRTs and Vs. threads may be totally lost with no way to get them back.

Well, I plan to start a thread for organising the staff sending out personal invitation links via the private wiki chat function once the new forum is up and running.

However, we will likely not be able to upload photos directly to the new forum, due to hosting costs and potential copyright claims (we will have to upload them to the wiki and link to them instead), and will probably have to get stricter rules about removing direct links to copyrighted cartoons and the like to not risk being shut down.

Yes. I plan to put in a front page link, a community page explanation, an announcements highlight, a standardised welcome message link, an updated navigation bar link, and a community message link that link to the new forum, and when possible give some basic instructions for how to access it.

Back