• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about the future of our forums (Staff only)

@Sir Ovens

Well, an extra open tab in the browser is a much better option than the alternative of having no proper means of communication at all.

@Skalt711

Okay, and it is still possible to keep the Discourse forum as invite only in the beginning then?

Okay. I will inform my friend about this. I hope that he knows somebody who can handle the technical setup work.

Antvasima said:
How well is xenforo.com (What SufficientVelocity is apparently running on) able to match our current requirements that I described in the first post of this thread?
I was on two other forums that use xenforo. I was very happy with xenforo overall.

Example of xenforo using forum:

https://mangahelpers.com/forum/

It is easy to create threads, start conversations with other members, customize profiles.

It is just as good as Matthew's suggestion - Sufficient Velocity.

I asked my sister, who seems to have IT knowledge and is going to be a sole trader. She knows nothing about forums :(

Matthew Schroeder said:
Another good thing is that not only can you add tags to each individual thread, but you can rate posts. So both the Kudos System and the Tagged Threads System would be preserved.
Good... Good...

Xenforo also has such features.

Promestein said:
A forum would also have a direct messaging system that would make it easier for staff, and other users, to communicate.
Yes. If we used Sufficient Velocity or Xenforo, the private conversations feature would be a huge ******* plus. We could share attachments in those conversations as well.

Well, it seems like Xenforo is very useful in general then. I am just very worried about that the trolls will start to snatch lots of usernames from our 1200 or so members, which would cause chaos during the transition. It would be exactly the sort of thing that they have already put into system by using lots of similar sounding usernames and trying to impersonate various regular members in this manner.

Is Discourse otherwise as useful for us as Xenforo?

Antvasima said:
I am just very worried about that the trolls will start to snatch lots of usernames from our 1200 or so members, which would cause chaos during the transition.
Yeah. This is the thing that I am most afraid of.

Xenforo seems like almost exactly what we are looking for if we can somehow make registrations invitation only in the beginning.

Hmm. That could be a problem.

Further investigations regarding add-ons for Xenforo to make registrations invitation only are very appreciated.

Okay. That is good. Does it have notifications for updates to followed threads as well?

...Seems that following a thread may not be possible if you aren't the thread's creator. You can be pinged though.

Surprisingly enough, Discourse doesn't seem to have some centralized source of documentation

Hmm. That is obviously not at all workable for us.

If we can get it to be invitation-registration only in the beginning, it seems excellent for our purposes, but we would need to figure out some way to achieve that first.

At this point Fandom is getting as bad as EA when it comes to management and problem-solving. Also, if we do an invitation-based system at first on Xenforo, who will be invited? Just the staff, I assume?

The only proper invite-only registration add-on for Xenforo is only compatible with the 1.x version, while Xenforo's current version is 2.x

Hmm, so which are we leaning towards? I'd say Xenforo is much better, based on what I've read, but we definitely need an invite system to prevent trolls and spammers from invading.

Could we use version 1.x of Xenforo in the beginning, and then upgrade it after a few months, after we have invited all of our active members?

Okay. I would appreciate if you could investigate.

Xenforo's downloads seem to be locked behind a customer-only page, which can only be accessed if you bought Xenforo itself, so I can't look at whether Xenforo 1.x is available or not.

Okay, I finally managed to get into contact with the head admin of Lake Valor to talk to him about how their forum functions. I may end up waiting for a little while, as the mod I contacted before said he'll be mostly free to speak tonight.

I also left a link to Ant's FanFiction page in my message, so hopefully he can talk with him in order to have the most streamlined communication we possibly can.

@Skalt711

Thank you for trying anyway. Is somebody willing to contact them directly to ask?

@All

Also, I was informed about some people who have a forum construction company. I will correspond with them about potential solutions.

In addition, my friend supposedly knows a very knowledgeable person regarding these types of issues. Hopefully he will have some useful suggestions as well.

@Starter Pack

Thank you very much for the help. Please ask him to read this thread first.

Also, take note that I live in Sweden, so our time schedules may not interact well. I will not delay to be rude, just because I am asleep.

Actually, good news, the head admin is on now, surprisingly, and I've been able to learn a couple of things.

First of all, Lake Valor actually does run on Xenforo as well, so all that being considered, I believe that would be the right option to pursue.

Secondly, the head admin does not have an FF account, and isn't planning on making one. However, if you're willing to contact him directly via email, he'd be more than happy to speak to you about our situation.

Okay. Thank you. If you send me a PM with his email address, I can send him a message.

What about funding? I've been doing forum admin for a few years and a license for forums such as vbulletin and xenforo aren't cheap, in addition to all the backend fees.

I'm also sure almost everybody runs some sort of ad blocker so I wouldn't rely on those unless you ran a script that blocks traffic using ad blockers.

What does Xenforo cost in fees?

Also, how well does vbulletin fulfill our requirements that I mentioned earlier?

Not everyone run ad-blockers, but we will add a Paypal donation button to the top of the forum, preferably including a regular monthly option, so our visitors and members can together help out to pay for the fees.

Is that 160$ a month, a one-time cost, or something else?

Back