• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about the future of our forums (Staff only)

What will happen to our character profiles when this change is applied?

An off-site forum is the most feasible solution, we just need to ensure the mods have mod privileges there and we can operate normally as DontTalk said. It would be very unfortunate if we had to resort to old school Talk Page practices. My only question is, are the forums here going to at least be archived?

Yobo Blue said:
A blog that details the specifics and steps for transition, not just for the wiki as a whole, but for individual users.
Basic instructions for how to sign up to the new forum, and how they can help out afterwards then?

Sera EX said:
An off-site forum is the most feasible solution, we just need to ensure the mods have mod privileges there and we can operate normally as DontTalk said. It would be very unfortunate if we had to resort to old school Talk Page practices. My only question is, are the forums here going to at least be archived?
Well, all of the old threads are going to be moved to the Discussions forum, but initially also be much harder to find until Fandom has installed an upcoming better search feature.

We can likely also save them all as files via a requested database dump archive, but we would need somebody very technically skilled in order to successfully transfer them to the new forum, and also use a similar Mediawiki format, so that seems unlikely to happen.

One thing's for certain: We need to do our very best to finish up any major discussions we have before year's end.

We mainly need to focus on our preparations to move and continue the major discussions in the new forum if necessary.

Anyway, again, our most pressing current concern is to find the forum type that best suits our purposes. Help with investigations and evaluations in this regard are extremely important, urgent, and appreciated.

Man, I used to spend quite enough time on forum sites back in 2011-2013, even became a moderator once. This brings me to feel nostalgia a bit.

Anyway, there's an alternative solution: we may use message walls of empty «accounts» as sub-forums. For example, we may use Message Wall:General Discussio for all threads related to general topics, and so we can do with all the other empty accounts. There will be some limitations compared to the wiki forum (e.g. we couldn't select topics for one or another thread), but is still similar to it.

What will happen to message walls btw? Will they still be in use, or is Fandom planning to replace them as well?

I feel like the new forum if made could have a few improvements to our current one as well such as the ability to find discussions under specific categories for specific boards or a fix to the thread closing issue with normal users (if thats still a thing). Just felt thats worth mentioning.

Ogurtsow said:
Anyway, there's an alternative solution: we may use message walls of empty «accounts» as sub-forums. For example, we may use Message Wall:General Discussio for all threads related to general topics, and so we can do with all the other empty accounts. There will be some limitations compared to the wiki forum (e.g. we couldn't select topics for one or another thread), but is still similar to it.

What will happen to message walls btw? Will they still be in use, or is Fandom planning to replace them as well?
I thought about that as well Ogu, but message walls are getting the yeet as well.

@Ogurtsow Message walls are being replaced soon after too.

Well, they are probably not replaced almost immediately after, but I was firmly told that using message walls as an alternative was an extremely bad idea, so an external forum remains our best option.

Sorry guys but derailing comments are just gonna have to go.

And do you not see the staff only up there?

Matthew Schroeder said:
I have no idea what plataform it uses, but SufficientVelocity has an excellent and very robust forum system.
Looking at the bottom of the side, it apparently uses this software.

That forum seems to allow free creation of tags as well, so it would solve the topic problem.

Provided it is otherwise fitting as well.

Oh, for crying out- This is getting ridiculous.

Anyway, it's interesting how Matt should mention SV. Not because I know the site or anything, but because I know a different forum that runs the exact same software that I'm a part of: the competitive Pokemon website, Smogon.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/

So, yes, I can confidently agree that that format could suit our needs. However, I'm also going to investigate the format used by this website I'm part of (https://lakevalor.net/), to see if this one could also suit our needs as well.

We need a stable and secure forum system, and it should preferably be rather easy to update the software every now and then.

How well is xenforo.com (What SufficientVelocity is apparently running on) able to match our current requirements that I described in the first post of this thread?

No problem. We will obviously help Joke Battles and FCOC.

If any of you know people who know about different types of forums, I would appreciate if you all ask them for information.

@Starter Pack

Thank you for helping out by trying to be constructive. Sorry about not noticing your post until now.

Something similar to discussions, apparently.

Ant might have more information but I'd expect they'd be pretty tight-lipped about that.

@Matthew

That is correct, yes.

@Sera

Message walls that run on the same or similar software as Discussions.

@Matthew

Thank you for the information. Is it possible to get notifications for new replies to subscribed threads (in a similar manner to currently) via the Xenforo software settings?

Yes it is. They will show up as notifications as long as you follow the threads. When people rate your posts you will also get notifications, and when people directly quote your posts you will also get notifications.

Hmm. I would be far too swarmed with notifications if I get one for every single upvote or quote. I hope that it is possible to change the settings so we only get notifications if a thread has been updated with new replies, like we have now.

A forum would also have a direct messaging system that would make it easier for staff, and other users, to communicate.

Back