• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Expanding the References for Common Feats page

Well, for starters, I think we should start adding all the calculations from the 10th page of this thread to the RfCF page.

Hey, should it be time to split this article into two pages? I mean it had been majorly disagreed upon before, but I don't think editing an article should be slow for a person with a computer with 12 GIGABYTES of RAM. People normally recommend 8 GB just for general purposes.

Hey, should it be time to split this article into two pages? I mean it had been majorly disagreed upon before, but I don't think editing an article should be slow for a person with a computer with 12 GIGABYTES of RAM. People normally recommend 8 GB just for general purposes.
Which article, there's no link?

I'd prefer that RFCF should not be split into other different pages, it's fine the way it is, as there's nothing really wrong with it. And even so, doing that will just make finding common feats even more hard to find

Which article, there's no link?
The same article as focused on in the thread.
I'd prefer that RFCF should not be split into other different pages, it's fine the way it is, as there's nothing really wrong with it. And even so, doing that will just make finding common feats even more hard to find
Oh, sure. Want the page to continue being laggy and difficult to edit; that'll get you somewhere. We have a template put at the top of every important article linking to every important article on the wiki. I don't see how just clicking on a thing that says "Part 2" would make things even more hard to find.

I bought 64 GB to actually edit it with Butler, so ah
You obviously won't have any issues with it since you did not try to suffer like me and Butler with crashes, so we should do the whole process once again.

The same article as focused on in the thread.

Oh, sure. Want the page to continue being laggy and difficult to edit; that'll get you somewhere. We have a template put at the top of every important article linking to every important article on the wiki. I don't see how just clicking on a thing that says "Part 2" would make things even more hard to find.
Editing the page was a nightmare and I think I had to split the contents at some point so I could complete the sandbox easily.

When it comes to dividing content, there are alternative approaches to consider beyond simply splitting it into two pages. To potentially reduce the length of the page, another option is to utilize templates to house the contents of each type of feat, such as Impact feats for example, or to put individual feats within templates. One of the two. After that, it's possible to include a note for each type of feat or section (depending on how the contents housed in templates), indicating that to edit that particular section, users should refer to a provided link. This link would redirect to a template containing the corresponding content.

However, I don't know if people would want it that way or not. Personally, I am neither strongly inclined to advocate for a split nor do I oppose it (in general).

Templates one is good tho! At least, I know how to work on those, I don't know about others.

I think there is a problem with one of the calculations on the Common Feats page:

Crushing a Human Skull

Skulls have been easily destroyed before by large caliber rounds varying from 12-gauge shotgun slugs (At least 2363 ft-lbs or 3204 J), .500 S&W Magnum hollow-point rounds (3000-3900 J) and .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO rounds (Ranging from 3500 to 3700 J), all of which have muzzle energies at around 3000-3900 joules (Street level), with such damage being even possible with several types of elephant gun rounds (The examples used including the .375 H&H Magnum, .416 Rigby, .458 Lott, .460 Weatherby Magnum, .500 Jeffery, .470 Nitro Express, .500 Nitro Express, .600 Nitro Express and .700 Nitro Express) whereas full-powered punches from MMA fighters exceeding 1100 joules, and even full-powered curbstomps from humans, are not enough to wield anywhere close to a similar result.

This calculation suggests that characters who crush skulls with striking strength are at least 3k joules, as firearms with this energy can perform such feats.
But on the wiki I discovered accepted calculation where humans reached an energy of 7k joules, without being able to crush skulls to my knowledge.

Did I misunderstand something here?

I think there is a problem with one of the calculations on the Common Feats page:

This calculation suggests that characters who crush skulls with striking strength are at least 3k joules, as firearms with this energy can perform such feats.
But on the wiki I discovered accepted calculation where humans reached an energy of 7k joules, without being able to crush skulls to my knowledge.

Did I misunderstand something here?
1: How does a tackle from an old calc relate to skull crushing?
2: I have a remastered calc on composite human's tackles.

Are there accepted calcs/formulae for calcing regular punches?
Like the general AP of a punch based on speed and weight (e.g. Character A weights 69kg and throws a punch at 420 m/s).

1: How does a tackle from an old calc relate to skull crushing?
Some firearms can crush skulls with 3k-4k joules, but human tackles and kicks can also reach 3k-5k joules of energy (according to your own calculations) without being able to affect human skulls as firearms do with the same energy.

Some firearms can crush skulls with 3k-4k joules, but human tackles and kicks can also reach 3k-5k joules of energy (according to your own calculations) without being able to affect human skulls as firearms do with the same energy.
To my knowledge, there are articles stating that trained fighters/boxers can punch hard enough to produce energy equivalent to firearms. But they obviously don't cause the same level of damage, due to factors such as energy transfer as relates to surface area, material composition, etc. Also why firearms are supposed to get "higher with piercing damage" IIRC.

To my knowledge, there are articles stating that trained fighters/boxers can punch hard enough to produce energy equivalent to firearms. But they obviously don't cause the same level of damage, due to factors such as energy transfer as relates to surface area, material composition, etc. Also why firearms are supposed to get "higher with piercing damage" IIRC.
So guns shouldn't be used as references for characters who can crush skulls with punches or kicks.

For context, there was a thread fixing the joule value on skull crushing, & that's the best value the thread could get.

In real life & fiction, the lower the surface area the energy is dispersing from, the more powerful the attack. That's how you can destroy a Goat skull. You concentrate the energy the Goat usually withstands into the tip/sharp area of a spear & their skull gets penitrated. For this reason, the wiki on it's AP page actually notes in its note section that when we say "higher via piercing," it never intends stuff like spikes to be durability negation.

For me, I'll give the skull part a shot: (500*9.81)0.55 = 2697.75 J

TBH, the tackles disperse energy or "weird Newton's 3rd law force" over a wider area & the initial justification for skull crushing didn't mention tackles/charges. The kicks in my calc go up to 3727.143682 J, so we're fine having the first glance high-end of at least 3800-3900 J.

So that's how many joules a character uses to punch or kick through a skull ???
vvv you missed this lol 💀
TBH, the tackles disperse energy or "weird Newton's 3rd law force" over a wider area & the initial justification for skull crushing didn't mention tackles/charges. The kicks in my calc go up to 3727.143682 J, so we're fine having the first glance high-end of at least 3800-3900 J.
Still fine at a glance. Skull crushing is still 9-C.

Still fine at a glance. Skull crushing is still 9-C.
Ok so if i understand correctly the characters that can punch and kick through human skulls are >>> 3727.143682 J.

We should use the kicks of MMA fighters as a comparison in the page to justify the level of feats crushing skulls instead of guns in this case.

Ok so if i understand correctly the characters that can punch and kick through human skulls are >>> 3727.143682 J.

We should use the kicks of MMA fighters as a comparison in the page to justify the level of feats crushing skulls instead of guns in this case.
Although punches & kicks uses different surface area (the former would likely use less J since it has less surface area), you're technically right.

Athough the kicks/strikes in the initial calc meant curbstomps, which reach this level for a standard stomp from normal people.

Although punches & kicks uses different surface area (the former would likely use less J since it has less surface area), you're technically right.

Does it apply for this feat:
He thrust his free hand into Oberyn's unprotected face, pushing steel fingers into his eyes. Clegane slammed his fist into the Dornishman's mouth, making splinters of his teeth. "Then I smashed her ******* head in. Like this." As he drew back his huge fist, the blood on his gauntlet seemed to smoke in the cold dawn air. There was a sickening crunch
?

Common feats that should be in this page are characters that can kill or knockout large animals (bear, lion, horse, elephant, etc) with a single blow.

Common feats that should be in this page are characters that can kill or knockout large animals (bear, lion, horse, elephant, etc) with a single blow.
We already have that in the form of animal profiles. We have profiles for the aforementioned animals & you can create one as long as its not a real modern person.

We already have that in the form of animal profiles. We have profiles for the aforementioned animals & you can create one as long as its not a real modern person.
How am I supposed to know the energy of a blow of a character who can perform this kind of feat just based on the profiles of these animals? The only energy given in their profiles is their kinetic energy via running, and I don't know if that scales to their durability (and for Newtons I never see them being used to talk about the AP of fictional characters, so I don't know how to handle that either)

If one day I want to do a versus thread with characters and their only feat is to kill a horse or an elephant with a single blow, what joule numbers am I supposed to give (ex: X character upscale/scale/downscale to Y joules) ?

How am I supposed to know the energy of a blow of a character who can perform this kind of feat just based on the profiles of these animals? The only energy given in their profiles is their kinetic energy via running, and I don't know if that scales to their durability (and for Newtons I never see them being used to talk about the AP of fictional characters, so I don't know how to handle that either)

If one day I want to do a versus thread with characters and their only feat is to kill a horse or an elephant with a single blow, what joule numbers am I supposed to give (ex: X character upscale/scale/downscale to Y joules) ?
-> "At least "X animals' durability/injury stamina""

Which ever value is higher.

For example, if "X character" one-shots an elephant, then it's reasonable to assume that said character is "At least Wall level" in attack potency. Elephants are 9-B in durability & may not have injury stamina to survive anything above that level.

-> Attack Potency: At least Wall level (Can one-shot elephants)

But if if "X character" one-shots a grizzly bear, then it's reasonable to assume that said character is "At least Wall level" in attack potency. Despite their durability being 9-C+ for larger males, grizzly bears have injury stamina up to 9-B charges from cattle. Any attack above what a grizzly bear can survive/withstand would likely severely injure or one-shot it.

-> Attack Potency: At least Wall level (Can one-shot grizzly bears, who despite consistently being able to only withstand their attacks, can survive full charges from cattle)

-> "At least "X animals' durability/injury stamina""

Which ever value is higher.

For example, if "X character" one-shots an elephant, then it's reasonable to assume that said character is "At least Wall level" in attack potency. Elephants are 9-B in durability & may not have injury stamina to survive anything above that level.

-> Attack Potency: At least Wall level (Can one-shot elephants)

But if if "X character" one-shots a grizzly bear, then it's reasonable to assume that said character is "At least Wall level" in attack potency. Despite their durability being 9-C+ for larger males, grizzly bears have injury stamina up to 9-B charges from cattle. Any attack above what a grizzly bear can survive/withstand would likely severely injure or one-shot it.

-> Attack Potency: At least Wall level (Can one-shot grizzly bears, who despite consistently being able to only withstand their attacks, can survive full charges from cattle)
And for the horses ?

Back