• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Expanding the References for Common Feats page

And if we don't, and we keep adding stuff; at some point, none will touch it since it will lag your PC significantly.

I feel like it'd be better to just streamline it, I've thought about doing it but I don't wanna deal with all the bureaucracy
I prefer to keep all of the information in order to cover as many angles as possible for our page creators.
And if we don't, and we keep adding stuff; at some point, none will touch it since it will lag your PC significantly.
Yes, and we will very visibly link to both parts of the split page in an intuitive manner.

Okay. Please elaborate.
Well for starters a lot of feats have sub-headers (Like the cannonball one) which causes the contents tab to become super-bloated, frankly I think if a feat's calculation is huge it'd be better to just link to the blog rather than just copy it in the page.

Also I don't like how the feats are organized, for example "Bone Breaking Feats" is a different category from "Object Destruction Feats", and crushing a human skull is in neither, instead being in "Crushing Feats". This is just an example but there's a lot more.

I would also just immediately list the result so that people don't have to scroll through the calculation to figure it out, most people aren't interested in that. The calc itself would either be behind a tabber as is or just in a blog that the page links to.

Well for starters a lot of feats have sub-headers (Like the cannonball one) which causes the contents tab to become super-bloated, frankly I think if a feat's calculation is huge it'd be better to just link to the blog rather than just copy it in the page.
For calcs listed that has long methods, wouldn't it just be better to just list the values like this one for an example?

For a simpler one:

Breaking a Human Neck

Breaking the neck of an average human being requires at least 151.6685635968 Joules, Athlete level

The vertebrae that make up the neck are the cervical vertebrae and are 7 vertebrae in total. However, due to finding info only for vertebra 3 through 7, the smallest one will be calced.
C3 pedicle: The pedicle is roughly a rectangular prism and there are two of them. 5.27 mm x 5.14 mm x 7.08 mm = 0.527 cm * 0.514 cm * 0.708 cm = 0.191781624 cm^3. 0.191781624 cm^3 * 2 = 0.383563248 cm^3
C3 vertebral body: The vertebral body is a cylinder. The mean height is 15.1 mm and the radius 7.34 mm = 2.55575 cc.
Energy to Fragment the C3 Vertebra
The shear strength of bones is 51.6 MPa or J/cc
(0.383563248 + 2.55575) x 51.6 = 151.6685635968 Joules, Athlete level
Keep in mind, this is just fragmenting most of the C3 vertebra. This does not take into account the lamina.

Ones with multiple ends might need a sheet. It'd be a lot of work.

Armor; you may be aware of how many feats we are talking about? If we are going to do it, I at least need 10 to 15 content moderators' assistance to manage it.

I think that the current layout format of the page seems good to keep as it is, although if some feats have been placed into the wrong sections, that can obviously be reorganised a bit.

I don't think Armor's alternative solution is bad and will obviously will reduce the lags the moment we want to add or edit the page; it simply requires a lot of time, and we may need more content moderators to help out to make it possible.

As I said, we are currently now in a paradox:
  • Either we divide the page into two parts
    • --> will reduce the lags by a good amount
  • Armor's solution
    • --> will significantly reduce the lags, and we are not required to divide it.
  • Leave it as it is
    • --> won't solve anything and will be a problematic in the future

Well, if I understood correctly, Armor does not want us to include the actual approved calculations in our common feats page, which I think would remove a lot of its legitimacy and perceived reliability.

I mean, we'd be linking to the long ones and just keeping the shorter ones in the blog, just putting the result before them so that readers don't have to read through all of the calculation, the math would just be one click away, it's just removing bloat. I mean look at how much you have to read through for some of these feats.

Well, I don't want to place the official calculations in blog posts that are not possible for non-administrators to edit, but maybe we could keep the energy values and some basic information about the types of feats in our current page, and move the linked calculations for each of them to a series of regular wiki pages instead?

I mean, I definitely think the basic information and energy values should be listed in the page, people need to know the precise value and context of a feat, I dunno about posting them in wiki pages rather than blogs, it's not like people should edit specific calculations without authorization first.

Well, we would simply create around three connected sub-pages that contain the calculations, with easily linked to section header titles for them, but greatly lessen the amount of content in our current main page for this purpose to make it easily overviewed. It seems like the most professional and easily overviewed way to handle this issue that I can come up with.

I guess, I don't really know why you wouldn't do blogs, but I don't have any issue with it either. As I said this is a massive amount of work though.

Yes, and there is no hurry to finish it. We have other important ongoing site revision projects after all.

Mhm, just making sure that's understood. I wouldn't mind chipping away at some parts of it overtime myself once we've got the basis in place.

Okay. You can help handle it via a few sandbox pages if you wish.

What should we name the linked to sub-pages with the calculations?

Uh, we'd have to decide how to organize them first. Something like "References for Common Feats Calculation Repository 1" and etc, and once the page hits 50k bytes or something we switch to the next. Personally I'm still not sold on not having blogs instead since those actually allow people to comment but, I guess I'll just see what the majority thinks, especially those that'll be doing most of the work

I think that calling the pages "References for Common Feats Calculation Repository 1/2/3" or "References for Common Feats Calculations Page 1/2/3" seems fine.

Can you really make common feats for things like this ? I don't really like this because it assumes that the snowball "bursts" when usually cartoon characters are just flattened under it and the snow ball is in tact. Of course I could have mistaken something but your assuming the snowball bursts right ?

Wouldn't KE be the best way to calculate this ? Either way I disagree with the basis of it being under the common feat section because the size varies so much. Its like putting up "making a crater in a wall" feat onto the common feats page.

Can you really make common feats for things like this ? I don't really like this because it assumes that the snowball "bursts" when usually cartoon characters are just flattened under it and the snow ball is in tact. Of course I could have mistaken something but your assuming the snowball bursts right ?
Yes because that usually IS what happens when those things slam into something like a tree, the ground, etc. And usually, it's less them getting flattened and more them getting absorbed into the snowball.

Yes because that usually IS what happens when those things slam into something like a tree, the ground, etc. And usually, it's less them getting flattened and more them getting absorbed into the snowball.
Either way I disagree with the basis of it being under the common feat section because the size varies so much. Its like putting up "making a crater in a wall" feat onto the common feats page.

Back