• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Encanto profiles and feats discussion

Bruno is physically average in the Madrigal family. Only Luisa is noted to be very strong and tough
Is there a statement for that?

If not, then we should stop trying to force our head canon through just because we don't want to see ordinary human characters rated like ordinary humans.

Is there a statement for that?
Yeah. The whole point of Luisa's power is that she's exceptionally strong. Able to crush rocks, lift donkeys and churches and such

In verse it was only Luisa who got Superhuman strength. And the only reason she's even tough is because of her powers, without them she's just as strong as anyone else.
If not, then we should stop trying to force our head canon through just because we don't want to see ordinary human characters rated like ordinary humans.
Bruno is literally an ordinary human in the movie. He isn't noted anywhere to be strong or tough. Only Luisa is stated to be tough

Did you watched the movie? Not in a disrespetful manner obviously, but the questions you ask make it seem like you didn't watched it, since many of them are answered in the film

You misinterpreted me. I was asking if there was any statement that Bruno was physically average.

And yes, I've probably watched the movie more times than you. Don't get smart. I'm just sick of people forcing powerscaling to get undeserved ratings so I will be opposing this unless there is counter evidence.

You misinterpreted me. I was asking if there was any statement that Bruno was physically average.
The only one who was directly stated and shown to not be average is Luisa.

All the rest have their gifts manifested in other ways that has nothing to do with physical strength. There's also no reason that Bruno will be abnormally strong compared to literally everyone else other than Luisa, who was outright stated to be that strong
And yes, I've probably watched the movie more times than you. Don't get smart. I'm just sick of people forcing powerscaling to get undeserved ratings so I will be opposing this unless there is counter evidence.
No need for this attitude. I was simply asking a question. And if you did get offended, then I apologize

I apologize as well. I'm just used to that question being asked in a disrespectful or insulting manner.

Anyway, I think it's more likely that Bruno was capable of such a feat because he wore his bucket on his head and the house was already crumbling and potentially fragile. I vehemently oppose upgrading everyone else and would rather write it off as an outlier.

Anyway, I think it's more likely that Bruno was capable of such a feat because he wore his bucket on his head and the house was already crumbling and potentially fragile. I vehemently oppose upgrading everyone else and would rather write it off as an outlier.
I'm fine with Bruno's feat being an outlier since everyone else is pretty much portrayed as normal humans

People really do be taking song lyrics too seriously if they think Bruno is seven feet tall despite seeing him be next to Mirabel.

A little late to this thread, but why don't the other family members scale to Bruno? There's nothing explicitly saying that he's stronger than the rest of them, is there?

A little late to this thread, but why don't the other family members scale to Bruno? There's nothing explicitly saying that he's stronger than the rest of them, is there?
Scaling doesn't work like that.

You'd need something explicitly stating that they're on his level. You don't assume that he's down on their level by default.

You'd need something explicitly stating that they're on his level. You don't assume that he's down on their level by default.
Still, doesn’t make sense. Why would one unathletic human be vastly stronger than any other unathletic human?

Still, doesn’t make sense. Why would one unathletic human be vastly stronger than any other unathletic human?
I mean... the requirement for proof is one of the most basic things on the powerscaling page.

Another way powerscaling works is through attributing feats a character performs to other characters who are equal or greater than that character as well.

So if Character A is capable of lifting a car. And Character B has proven to be stronger than Character A, then it is safe to say that Character B can also lift a car.

Bolded the relevant word.

That's just the way scaling works.

I mean... the requirement for proof is one of the most basic things on the powerscaling page.

Bolded the relevant word.

That's just the way scaling works.
I don’t think it works the same way for regular humans in fiction that should be capable of harming each other.

To be fair, to my knowledge we have quite a lot of pages that include the words "Should be comparable to" as justifications for their scaling.

To be fair, to my knowledge we have quite a lot of pages that include the words "Should be comparable to" as justifications for their scaling.
Those are badly written profiles for the most part; on a good profile you'd expect either a scan showing why, a more elaborate justification, or a reference.

My other question then would be if Camilo's shapeshifting would scale. He can turn into Bruno, and seeing as Bruno's physical strength isn't given by a gift like Luisa, it would be fair to say that turning into Bruno or giving yourself the exact proportions of Bruno should give you this level of strength.

Do we have heights for the characters? At worst I can use the "7 foot frame" quote for Bruno and scale to that but if that's the case everyone's like 6 foot minimum so kinda don't want to do that
Not sure if anyone ever gave a direct answer for this- the link that was given just took me to an unrelated page- but Mirabel is 5'2, according to the man behind the movie: So that can be a way of scaling off the rest of the characters.

I don't think something being said in a song is necessarily meaning that it was not true- the fantasy sequences in Surface Pressure and Mirabel being taken back to the moment that the Casita was created are the only definitive times where a musical number is depicting something that isn't literal, while most of the times it is actually the characters' powers that are causing anything out of the ordinary.

Not sure if anyone ever gave a direct answer for this- the link that was given just took me to an unrelated page- but Mirabel is 5'2, according to the man behind the movie: So that can be a way of scaling off the rest of the characters.

I don't think something being said in a song is necessarily meaning that it was not true- the fantasy sequences in Surface Pressure and Mirabel being taken back to the moment that the Casita was created are the only definitive times where a musical number is depicting something that isn't literal, while most of the times it is actually the characters' powers that are causing anything out of the ordinary.

A direct answer was given if I recall correctly.

Pretty sure Luisa stated to be able to move mountains is an exaggeration of her strength
Maybe. Idk. It gets pretty hard to tell. Both times were stated in-song, but then again, nothing else in Luisa's song (Surface Pressure) specifically seems to be an exaggeration, and nothing else is an exaggeration in Waiting on a Miracle (which also implied that Luisa could move mountains). The visual feats should be discounted for most of this, but when it comes to the lyrics, I think most of the stuff is fine.

Like in "We Don't Talk About Bruno", Pepa and Felix saying that Pepa made a hurricane seems to be fine and accepted. Now Camilo's verse shouldn't be counted, his entire verse is exaggeration, and frankly, he's only slightly older than Mirabel, so he shouldn't know much about Bruno himself. That's why he says outlandish things like "Seven foot frame" or "He sees your dreams and feasts on your screams". It's kind of a case by case contextual thing.

I'm honestly fine with scaling Bruno to the other Madrigals due to the unlikelihood that he would be that much stronger than anyone else in the family when he wouldn't have been able to get a work-out going during his ten years hiding in the walls and surviving off of whatever leftovers the rats could find him.

But honestly I just like the idea of the family being wall level at the lowest.

I'm honestly fine with scaling Bruno to the other Madrigals due to the unlikelihood that he would be that much stronger than anyone else in the family when he wouldn't have been able to get a work-out going during his ten years hiding in the walls and surviving off of whatever leftovers the rats could find him.

If it is unlikely that he should be that strong, it could just be an outlier for Bruno.

Yeah, either we consider that an outlier or we decide that Wall Level may not be considered especially crazy in the verse.

It’s probably best to not use the wall level feat for Bruno as Casita was kind of in a weakened state and was practically falling apart by that point.

Back