• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Z movies timelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akira says that the films are continuations of the original in a parallel way.

A message from Akira Toriyama-sensei

My sincerest gratitude to all those who purchased this Dragon Ball Movie DVD Box! With these films, the Dragon Box series finally comes to an end.

In most cases with movies, the writers used their wonderful techniques to write an original story based on my original work. The original work builds up in such a way that it's hard to come up with side stories, so I think they did a really good job.

I was very busy during the serialization so I couldn't really help them, but every now and then the producer would ask me to create an original enemy character for the films, so that was the only time I collaborated with them a little bit. But it sure was hard... Even though I had all these strong-looking characters appearing in the manga, and I was already at my limit materially, I still had to think of even stronger designs... Really, they're a whole bunch so strong looking it raises my blood pressure.

Still, it allowed them to make these amazing movies that are so powerful and effective, so what am I complaining about?

As the creator of Dragon Ball, I am aware of what a happy manga is, blessed by its fans and staff.

-Akira Toriyama

Scan in Japanese for those who want to translate

interview link

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-book-movies-toriyama-intro/

Akira Toriyama Quotes About Movies Being Dimensionally Different From His Manga

Movies should be canonical timelines now

Being a parallel story does not take away its canonicity, in fact if it is parallel I imagine that it coexists with the original work

I propose that all movies be an alternate canon line, but existing at the same time with an equal timeline of Trunks, since it talks about original stories that are parallel to the manga, and that's all.

Agree:
@godofice ,@Quasar002 ,@Lonkitt, @pineappleman ,@Nierre ,@Thelastmlg ,@Marshadow29, @Firestorm808, @Da3ggman ,@SSJGeminiJJ ,@The_real_cal_howard,@Jinsama

Disagree:

Neutral: @LordGriffin1000

Last edited:
wait i'm out of the loop, so gt is now accepted to be canon as an alternate timeline, and this would make the movies also that, kinda like how we treat, idk, the pokemon anime and manga with the games and stuff?

this seems fine, but i'm struggling to see the part of the first scan related to it, is it the "with this, the dragon box (lmao) series come to a end"?

Honestly, I'm glad this came up, as I was itching to talk about the movie canon today, or the lack thereof.

The movies aren't even canon with each other, no. And I plan to go into excruciating detail why (not for any "lolowned" reason I genuinely wanna talk about this in depth)

Dead Zone, the Dragon Balls are used, and yet Gohan has the 4 Star Ball on top of his head when Raditz shows up. However, that's the cast's first time meeting Gohan, when Raditz shows up. They don't even know that Goku had a kid. And yet, Goku requires the help of Krillin, Piccolo, and Bulma during the events of the movie.

World's Strongest, Piccolo is breathing. However, Goku knows the Kaio-Ken and the Spirit Bomb, which means that he already had his King Kai training. But Piccolo would be dead by then. Also, the Dragon Balls were used by Kochin, which shouldn't be possible since again, Piccolo should either be dead or already be used up to resurrect Goku

Tree of Might, World's Strongest problem exacerbated, because Tien and Yamcha and Ciaotzu are there too.

Lord Slug, say it with me now, Piccolo is breathing but Goku knows the Spirit Bomb and the Kaio Ken. The Dragon Balls are also used. There is a brief period of time where Piccolo is alive and Goku still uses the Kaio Ken instead of Super Saiyan, but then everyone would still be on Namek.

Cooler's Revenge, Goku should still be in space. Otherwise he'd know the Instant Transmission. If you assume this happened after the arrival of Trunks, one, why didn't Trunks warn about him, and two, where's Vegeta, as he'd totally be here for Frieza's brother showing up. And Goku has to re-unlock Super Saiyan. This one is one of the most possible.

Return of Cooler, Dende's on earth. Which means Cell's already prepping his games. Zero time to take a trip to Namek. Takes more than a week to reach there by ship after all. And where's Trunks?

Android 13, where are the rest of the Androids? Goku's out of his coma and Trunks has long hair. Why is everyone shopping at a mall when they're being hunted by 4 Androids (that they're aware of)? Only way this works is if this also took place during Cell's 7 day reprieve, in which case, why isn't Gohan fighting since he'd be the second strongest person there? Not to mention that it's still kid Gohan and not teen Gohan. If it took place before Cell Games wait, Piccolo would've wiped every Android since he's Kamiccolo by then and is the strongest person in the universe.

Broly, this'd be one hell of a weekend if the events of RoC to Broly all happened. This is easily the most possible, but Second Coming throws a wrench in it.

Bojack, probably just Trunks being there even though he'd be back to the future by then. However he could've just come back.

Second Coming, Goten has met Goku in this, even though the first time Goten has met Goku was at the tournament. And they use the Dragon Balls, which can't happen if the Buu Saga were to happen. There's only a short time period between a Videl that can fly and the Tournament that leads to Buu. Nowhere near a year.

Bio-Broly, see Second Coming, as that's blatantly canon to Bio-Broly.

Fusion Reborn, Goku and Vegeta are dead, but Buu is already defeated.

Wrath of the Dragon, works perfectly as a post-Buu story...except THE SWORD. HOW DID FUTURE TRUNKS GET THE SWORD??

Assuming I'm missing the point and you're just saying the movies are canon to each other instead of Toeiverse, that can't work either. In Tree of Might, every single Z Fighter is alive. Let's assume this means that Goku was able to come back in time and defeat Nappa and Vegeta before anybody died. There's no reason to go to Namek, which means no confrontation with Frieza which means no Super Saiyan. Which...no. Even if you assume Goku unlocked SSJ the hard way, it still means there's no confrontation with Frieza, which means Cooler has no reason to come to Earth.
Let's say you ignore that as well. Go to Super Android 13, assume that the crew were able to kill all the Androids before shit hit the fan, and these were the last resort. Krillin's still married to 18 in Bio Broly and Wrath of the Dragon. She'd be dead.
And let's say that gets ignored too. We skip to Ultimate Gohan, who manages to kill Buu and not job. Everyone on earth is dead thanks to the DBs being used in Second Coming, but ignore that. Goku and Vegeta are dead in this, as they had no reason to come back since Buu was dealt with. Why are they back in Wrath of the Dragon? You could argue they brought back Vegeta as he didn't necessarily want to stay dead, but Goku did, and only came back due to necessity. So if he had no reason to be Old Kai'd, he should still be dead. I'm sure there's other things I missed too.

Honestly, I'm glad this came up, as I was itching to talk about the movie canon today, or the lack thereof.

The movies aren't even canon with each other, no. And I plan to go into excruciating detail why (not for any "lolowned" reason I genuinely wanna talk about this in depth)

Dead Zone, the Dragon Balls are used, and yet Gohan has the 4 Star Ball on top of his head when Raditz shows up. However, that's the cast's first time meeting Gohan, when Raditz shows up. They don't even know that Goku had a kid. And yet, Goku requires the help of Krillin, Piccolo, and Bulma during the events of the movie.

World's Strongest, Piccolo is breathing. However, Goku knows the Kaio-Ken and the Spirit Bomb, which means that he already had his King Kai training. But Piccolo would be dead by then. Also, the Dragon Balls were used by Kochin, which shouldn't be possible since again, Piccolo should either be dead or already be used up to resurrect Goku

Tree of Might, World's Strongest problem exacerbated, because Tien and Yamcha and Ciaotzu are there too.

Lord Slug, say it with me now, Piccolo is breathing but Goku knows the Spirit Bomb and the Kaio Ken. The Dragon Balls are also used. There is a brief period of time where Piccolo is alive and Goku still uses the Kaio Ken instead of Super Saiyan, but then everyone would still be on Namek.

Cooler's Revenge, Goku should still be in space. Otherwise he'd know the Instant Transmission. If you assume this happened after the arrival of Trunks, one, why didn't Trunks warn about him, and two, where's Vegeta, as he'd totally be here for Frieza's brother showing up. And Goku has to re-unlock Super Saiyan. This one is one of the most possible.

Return of Cooler, Dende's on earth. Which means Cell's already prepping his games. Zero time to take a trip to Namek. Takes more than a week to reach there by ship after all. And where's Trunks?

Android 13, where are the rest of the Androids? Goku's out of his coma and Trunks has long hair. Why is everyone shopping at a mall when they're being hunted by 4 Androids (that they're aware of)? Only way this works is if this also took place during Cell's 7 day reprieve, in which case, why isn't Gohan fighting since he'd be the second strongest person there? Not to mention that it's still kid Gohan and not teen Gohan. If it took place before Cell Games wait, Piccolo would've wiped every Android since he's Kamiccolo by then and is the strongest person in the universe.

Broly, this'd be one hell of a weekend if the events of RoC to Broly all happened. This is easily the most possible, but Second Coming throws a wrench in it.

Bojack, probably just Trunks being there even though he'd be back to the future by then. However he could've just come back.

Second Coming, Goten has met Goku in this, even though the first time Goten has met Goku was at the tournament. And they use the Dragon Balls, which can't happen if the Buu Saga were to happen. There's only a short time period between a Videl that can fly and the Tournament that leads to Buu. Nowhere near a year.

Bio-Broly, see Second Coming, as that's blatantly canon to Bio-Broly.

Fusion Reborn, Goku and Vegeta are dead, but Buu is already defeated.

Wrath of the Dragon, works perfectly as a post-Buu story...except THE SWORD. HOW DID FUTURE TRUNKS GET THE SWORD??
Bro got the DBZ bible

I hella agree with the mention of parallel dimensions and parallel worlds the reason this is important for them to be accepted in the canon as alternate timelines is because that’s what alternate timelines are referred to as and for those mentioning timeline discrepancies they’re parallel worlds why would the same things happen? Even future trunks timeline and the “main” timeline events are different but yeah I agree since it use terminology referring to timelines even within the super material

This one is even funnier because King Kai just mentions Frieza out of nowhere. Lmao

My question is what would the implications of this CRT be on the site?

You can't even hand-wave Movies 2-4 alongside 5 taking place during the 3 years leading to the Androids, since they spammed the Dragon Balls every movie
And then you have Garlic Jr. and Icarus somehow appearing in the Anime, because Toei didn't care

A message from Akira Toriyama-sensei

My sincerest gratitude to all those who purchased this Dragon Ball Movie DVD Box! With these films, the Dragon Box series finally comes to an end.

In most cases with movies, the writers used their wonderful techniques to write an original story based on my original work. The original work builds up in such a way that it's hard to come up with side stories, so I think they did a really good job.

I was very busy during the serialization so I couldn't really help them, but every now and then the producer would ask me to create an original enemy character for the films, so that was the only time I collaborated with them a little bit. But it sure was hard... Even though I had all these strong-looking characters appearing in the manga, and I was already at my limit materially, I still had to think of even stronger designs... Really, they're a whole bunch so strong looking it raises my blood pressure.

Still, it allowed them to make these amazing movies that are so powerful and effective, so what am I complaining about?

As the creator of Dragon Ball, I am aware of what a happy manga is, blessed by its fans and staff.

-Akira Toriyama

Scan in Japanese for those who want to translate

interview link

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-book-movies-toriyama-intro/

Akira Toriyama Quotes About Movies Being Dimensionally Different From His Manga

Being a parallel story does not take away its canonicity, in fact if it is parallel I imagine that it coexists with the original work

I propose that all movies be an alternate canon line, but existing at the same time with an equal timeline of Trunks, since it talks about original stories that are parallel to the manga, and that's all.

simple and easy to understand, i agree

Are there any immediate changes that would occur if we consider GT a canon alternate timeline?
No, no one will climb it, because it's a separate line, like Trunks, because both franchises don't mix.

The GT line and the movies will just be another DB timeline, but as canonical within the DB multiverse, it's clear that no one will scale to that, which is my intent.

It would just slot into the already 2-B accepted cosmology you wouldn’t be able to cross scale characters but you could more elaboration on cosmology based things at best tbh
many world theory makes cosmology scaling not be possible as discussed in the dbgt canon crt, as for the thread, put me on neutral, want to see more arguments first

Should add this to the OP if the movies are to be canon timelines now
a2e0246d3833b54858f0bfaae14a51a2.png

(From Daizenshuu 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back